The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
coachmastermind
Seasoned Veteran

Default ESPN Rumor Central about McD???

I know these are usually fluff pieces, but got this tweet from Rumor Central, anyone have it that can fill us in? With Schefter being in the mix it may carry some wieght.

Josh McDaniels on thin ice, and @adam_schefter tells us the type of coach Pat Bowlen may replace him with http://es.pn/bvTx5s #nfl #broncos
coachmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

The chapter describing the Josh McDaniels era in the Denver Broncos' history books may be a short one. After rattling off six wins to start the 2009 season, the Broncos have gone 4-13 since, including an embarrassing home loss against the Oakland Raiders in Week 7.
On Wednesday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter offered his take on what could happen with this volatile situation:

Quote:
"There still is a lot of season left, particularly in a wide open division. Now, what Denver showed on Sunday was not promising in any way. And if that continues, then [owner Pat] Bowlen will have to go over candidates. Owners have had a habit of going away from what they had: Bowlen went from a proven head coach in Dan Reeves to an unproven head coach in Wade Phillips to a more proven head coach in Mike Shanahan to a less proven head coach in Josh McDaniels. If he makes a change, the guess would be he would go back to a more proven mind. But it's still way too early to tell."
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

so basically, they are saying that if teh team doesnt get better through the rest of the season, that bowlen will have to look at different head coaches...and they charge people to read that? wow
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Meh, just writing for the sake of writing.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Riveting.

In other news, I might bang Giselle tonight, but it's still too early to tell.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think it would be a big mistake. You can't evaluate a guy when most of his starting defense isn't on the field.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Shefter has better sources in Denver than anybody.

read between the lines people. This is coming from Bowlen, not Adam Shefter.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
coachmastermind
Seasoned Veteran

Fluff, like I thought. Thanks though.
coachmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguous View Post
Riveting.
Really. Everyone including the water boy should be on thin ice.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

sure

yeah it's about what I expected
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Nothing to see here.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think it would be a big mistake. You can't evaluate a guy when most of his starting defense isn't on the field.
His starting "defense" was on the field last year. *shrugs*

Most of the changes made this year ARE on the field.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Of course this was going to come out in some form after that mess on Sunday. Who knows if its bull**** or not. Not happy about the win-loss record for McDs either
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

At this moment, I see no reason to hold on to the guy. This is the fact: right now, we lose nothing by cutting him lose. We're literaly on square zero. We have no idea if this offensive line is going to pan out. We have no idea if our running game is going to pan out. We have no idea if our QBOTF is going to pan out. We have no idea if our defensive strategy is going to pan out. We have nothing but question marks all over the field. More than we've had in a decade.

Here's fact number two: Josh owes it to Bowlen to prove why he should be given the chance to stick around. It's not the other way around. Bowlen doesn't owe it to Josh to give him three years. Josh has to earn that and right now he is failing.

There isn't a team on our schedule that we can't beat through the rest of the year. There should be no reason that we can't finish the season with at least 6 wins.

It's a sad day in Broncos land when I'm looking at 6 wins as the optimistic high water mark. Screw you Josh and your lose to Tom freaking Cable ways.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
At this moment, I see no reason to hold on to the guy. This is the fact: right now, we lose nothing by cutting him lose. We're literaly on square zero. We have no idea if this offensive line is going to pan out. We have no idea if our running game is going to pan out. We have no idea if our QBOTF is going to pan out. We have no idea if our defensive strategy is going to pan out. We have nothing but question marks all over the field. More than we've had in a decade.

Here's fact number two: Josh owes it to Bowlen to prove why he should be given the chance to stick around. It's not the other way around. Bowlen doesn't owe it to Josh to give him three years. Josh has to earn that and right now he is failing.

There isn't a team on our schedule that we can't beat through the rest of the year. There should be no reason that we can't finish the season with at least 6 wins.

It's a sad day in Broncos land when I'm looking at 6 wins as the optimistic high water mark. Screw you Josh and your lose to Tom freaking Cable ways.
I liked his 2010 draft. Not trading the Earl Thomas pick to Sea for A. Smith in 09, but still..... McDaniels knew he wanted Tebow, and he knew he could get him for sure late in the first. He had a plan that logically took into account the strengths and weaknesses of the draft, and he executed the plan. It took shanny a freaking decade to get there.

However, he gutted one of the top offenses in the league, and Den now has like the 2nd oldest or something roster in the league, and it's filled with ... journeyman talent. He's done less than nothing to address the flat out awful defense that Shanny left. Let's hope Bowlen still has enough brain cells working to hire a real talent evaluator guy who can give him some real advice on whether young guys like Cassius Vaugh, McBath, McBean, Beadles, Thompson, etc are really going to be capable of playing in playoffs. If they aren't, Bowlen's gotta pull the trigger sooner or later and it is better to get it over with.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I think you guys need to realize that the soft lifestyle Denver has leads to soft football teams.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

What about this link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?...26id%3d5732585

It might be the same fluff, but I'd be particularly interested in hearing how he answers the part about Pat Bowlen. I am really interested in 2 things: 1) His health and 2) His finances
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think you guys need to realize that the soft lifestyle Denver has leads to soft football teams.
We need to send those guys to pick rock at Meck's ranch. That'll harden them up.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I doubt that Bowlen feels any different about his team getting its ass kicked by the Raiders in our own house now, than he felt when Shanahan allowed it to happen. Some things are just not acceptable.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Back to Greeley, you mofos!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I doubt that Bowlen feels any different about his team getting its ass kicked by the Raiders in our own house now, than he felt when Shanahan allowed it to happen. Some things are just not acceptable.
Is it valid to wonder where Bowlen is at right now? Is he healthy? Is he still interested in owning this team? Is he managing (financially) to the possibility of a lockout?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Bowlen will be just fine finance wise with a lockout.

http://www.nfllockout.com/2010/10/13...abor-strategy/

And he didn't give Lambchop or BM multimillion dollar bonuses to lock them up longterm.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Bowlen will be just fine finance wise with a lockout.

http://www.nfllockout.com/2010/10/13...abor-strategy/

And he didn't give Lambchop or BM multimillion dollar bonuses to lock them up longterm.
Right, I guess was my question is two fold:
1) Was his decision to fire Shanahan and cut expenses the last 2 years related to the possibility of a lockout (at least in part)? See these two articles referencing how finances have been a big part of the new strategy since firing Shanahan:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16077150
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16440005

2) Bowlen is not one of these Billionaire owners with cash flow coming from other ventures. Is he having cash flow problems? It's one thing to manage your team to salary cap, but it's a completely different thing to manager to cash. They are separate accounting systems. For example, bonuses are paid up front (cash immediately out the door) but are pro-rated against the cap. This question is important because it will impact how this team is run before and after any lockout. For example, would he fire McDaniels with 2 years remaining on a contract (and all the staff)?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #24
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

I felt this way after last years loss to the Chorfs.

things haven't changed much since
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

No one is afraid of our team.
Everyone is making fun of us..
On the radio yesterday, there are comments like 'It looked like Denver was playing against Giants on Monday'.
These type of jokes i used to hear about teams like Lions and Raiders.
Mcd doesn't know what he is doing..We can't even convert 3rd/4th and Short.
I want Bowlen to fire Mcd Now..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote