The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Default Jon Gruden + Tim Tebow = ??

I was thinking if the Broncos tank the rest of the season and McD's job is on the line. What about Pat Bowlen pushing hard to bring in Jon Gruden. Seems to me this could be a great fit for the Broncos. Gruden had nothing but good things to say about Tim Tebow. See this article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=5033690
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Concrete Cyanide?
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

A Dancing with the Stars duo.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Gruden has nothing but good things to say about everything. If he talks **** he won't get a job.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

I hate to interrupt the daydreaming, but McDaniels isn't going anywhere unless the rest of the season is like Sunday. Particularly with a labor situation pending.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Ball Juice?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

7-9
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm not sure why Gruden gets mentioned so much. If I remember correctly he was widely hated by both fans and players in Tampa at the end of his run there which started successfully with Tony Dungy's talent in place and bounced around a good bit after that. Don't we have some South Florida guys here who can elaborate?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
I was thinking if the Broncos tank the rest of the season and McD's job is on the line. What about Pat Bowlen pushing hard to bring in Jon Gruden. Seems to me this could be a great fit for the Broncos. Gruden had nothing but good things to say about Tim Tebow. See this article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=5033690
Another thing I could see Pat doing that so he would have a drinking buddy. Chucky likes to tie them on.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Another thing I could see Pat doing that so he would have a drinking buddy. Chucky likes to tie them on.
But then he would have to keep Neckbeard......What a drinking trio that would be! (With Tebow DD'ing of course)
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Gruden was practically applying for the Cowboys job while praising them throughout that mess last night.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

John Gruden sucks as a commentator and coach.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

A ****ty idea for a new thread?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
John Gruden sucks as a commentator and coach.
Was anyone else getting annoyed every time he called Justin Tuck, "Jason"? He did at least 5 times. Unreal.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

You know, Ralph Wilson offered John Gruden everything except outright ownership of the Bills and he still turned it down.

What makes you think he'd settle for less to come to Denver at this point? Tebow surely doesn't measure up to absolute dictorial control of a franchise and Denver isn't exactly leagues above Buffalo at this point either.

Gruden is staying right where he is...in the plush job that he's earned.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

are you kidding me. Gruden changes QBs like every three weeks. It would be a disaster
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I hate to interrupt the daydreaming, but McDaniels isn't going anywhere unless the rest of the season is like Sunday. Particularly with a labor situation pending.
100% correct.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on that. History has a habit of repeating itself and if you take a look at what has happened to the past few coaches in Denver after losing badly (badly but not 59-14 bad!) at home to the Raiders... well, it doesn't look good for Josh.

As for the original point of this thread... I'd take Gruden in a heart beat. But ask yourself this question, if you were Chucky and you have the option between the Dallas Cowboys, with Romo, Austin, Bryant, Williams, Witten, Felix Jones, Barber, Ware, Ratliff, Spencer, Newman, and Jenkins or the Denver Broncos with Tebow/Orton, Lloyd, DT, Moreno, Doom, DJ, Ayers, and Bailey... Who would you take?

Now take this one step further. If you were a Cowboys fan and they brought in Gruden and he proceeded to get rid of Romo, Austin, Witten, and Barber... what would you think? Kind of off topic, but everyone assumes that whoever takes over that job for SOB is just going to make the best of that offense, maybe upgrade the OL and focus on the secondary. Kind of what we assumed would happen in Denver.

Anyhow, I think Gruden would prefer the Cowboys job. Cowher will end up in Carolina.

Our best bet is to start thinking about a guy like Schottenheimer Jr., focus on building a strong OL, get a stud RB and bring in a defensive mind (there will be plenty available after this year Del Rio, Fox, Singletary, Phillips) in so that he can put his stamp on the defense. I say Schottenheimer b/c I would also expect we bring in somebody to oversee daily functions like a Schottenheimer Sr. or Parcells.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed... I am officially off the McD bandwagon. Yup, I'll eat my crow. He was the guy I wanted when Shanny was fired. I liked the idea of having him coach our players (as they were that day) but never assumed he would have a little man's complex. Players sitting there laughing and giggling after that beat down tells me everything I need to know about how much McD can motivate a team to go above and beyond. IMO, you take a guy like Josh McDaniels and put him in Detroit or St. Louis as the OC and he can turn Bradford or Stafford into a top 5 QB. But as a HC he just can't take his hands off of everything, at least not enough to put a competive (playoff caliber) team on the field.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Correct.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If there's one thing McD has shown he can do, it's develop qb's, probably better than Gru-boy. Gruden's shown he can run a coaching operation, though, to be sure. Still, he won with Dungy's players, essentially. but deserves credit for what he did with Jokeland and Gannon.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think Gruden would make a great...... assistant coach.

I don't like him particularly at HC. I don't know what he would actually improve.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
I think there is a better chance than you think McDaniels is gone if the season goes 6-10 or worse which is looking like a real possibility now. Bowlen will make a change when there is enough pressure to do so based on ticket sales. Looking at the last game fan reaction isn't going to get better if the team continues playing like it has been over the last 16 games...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Gruden works six months out of the year and makes millions. Why would he return to the 24/7/365 schedule of being an NFL coach?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
I think there is a better chance than you think McDaniels is gone if the season goes 6-10 or worse which is looking like a real possibility now. Bowlen will make a change when there is enough pressure to do so based on ticket sales. Looking at the last game fan reaction isn't going to get better if the team continues playing like it has been over the last 16 games...
To be fair, ticket sales next year are likely going to be "zero" with or without McD coaching the team.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Gruden works six months out of the year and makes millions. Why would he return to the 24/7/365 schedule of being an NFL coach?
Why do multi-millionnaires and billionnaires continue to work when "they don't have to"? They get the itch.