The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Why he should be fired

Where McDaniels has experienced his greatest struggle is in home games against AFC West opponents. He is 0-4, including such lopsided defeats as 32-3 to San Diego, 44-24 to then 3-12 Kansas City and now 59-14 to the Raiders, who haven't won more than five games in a season since 2002.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz13TCxw4hb

If you can't get your team to show up at home against your biggest rivals, then you can't motivate them to do anything, much less a playoff push.
Maybe McDaniels will be a good coach when he grows into a man. He isn't right now though, and we should cut our losses as soon as possible.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

If we don't make the playoffs this year, he's done. So I guess he's done.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Unless the last couple home games are played in front of an empty Arrowhead-like stadium, Ellis will give him 1 more year.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just can't see Bowlen firing him after two years.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Wade Philips did more and got fired after two years. I tell you all this, if we go to London and get beat by a bad 49ers team convincingly, I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen fires him next Monday.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

I don't think he will be fired this year, because Bowlen would look stupid and wouldn't want the embarrassment to the franchise of having an interim head coach or something.

I think the end of the season is the earliest it happens, and only if we go something like 4-12 (which seems very possible at this point).
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

i think it's a bit (aww hell! it's a lot) early to thiink about firing McD. Are we a bunch of embarassed, emotional crybabies right now? Yes (raising hand), but let's see how the rest of the Season turns out. Lets give McD the chance to rally the troops even though they are a rag tag bunch of the walking wounded. We might actually be happily surprised with the results-

I think we all go through some tough times in life, and this may well be McD's-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I hope the team proves me wrong, because my confidence has never been lower with this current team and coach.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach bronco View Post
Wade Philips did more and got fired after two years. I tell you all this, if we go to London and get beat by a bad 49ers team convincingly, I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen fires him next Monday.
Phillips was nothing more than a seat warmer until Shanahan was ready.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Maybe true Finkle, but if Wade took the Broncos to two straight playoff appearances, I don't think he would have been fired.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
manchambo
Ring of Famer

My main reason for wanting him fired is that I don't want to see him get another draft.

They'll have a high (perhaps very high) pick in the first round (and we're just lucky he didn't trade it away last year for a second round pick) and two second round picks.

The day they become competitive again can be substantially accelerated or delayed by those picks.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I don't think Josh should be fired mid season.

However, in the offseason it's the same situation as with Shanahan and Slowik.

Josh needs to hand over the Defense/OL to real coaches who not only have experience and the know how (like Nolan etc) but also have the ability to recognize players in the draft that best fit the system (like Turner/Dennison used to do).

Josh should stick to what he knows best and that's X's and O's for the passing game and developing Tebow.

If he's unwilling and unable to do that, then I don't see how Bowlen has a choice.

Even a great Head Coach like Shanahan had his limitations in building a solid defense.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I willing to give it a couple of years, but I'm not gonna lie, the home record against the AFCW is something I've though about, and it's a tough pill to swallow.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Josh needs to hand over the Defense/OL to real coaches who not only have experience and the know how (like Nolan etc) but also have the ability to recognize players in the draft that best fit the system (like Turner/Dennison used to do).

Josh should stick to what he knows best and that's X's and O's for the passing game and developing Tebow.

If he's unwilling and unable to do that, then I don't see how Bowlen has a choice.

Even a great Head Coach like Shanahan had his limitations in building a solid defense.
Pretty solid post here.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:

Probably very good points, but I think they go against human nature. Most of us, most of the time, when things are breaking down, tend towards more micro-management, and it looks to me like McD may be falling into the same natural trap.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I doubt McDaniels is fired during the season. I don't think that is something Bowlen would ever do, and I wouldn't want him to. If the team doesn't get a LOT better, he will probably be gone after the season. I'm pretty sure Shanahan never once had a top 10 pick and he rebuilt the team a few times. I hope Bowlen doesn't accept that kind of performance.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Josh needs to hand over the Defense/OL to real coaches...
Do we know that Martindale isn't a "real coach"? Hard to judge a guy who has marginal talent to begin with, very limited quality depth, and then loses both of his outside LBs (Dumervil and Ayers), a starting S (Dawkins) and his backup (McBath), and a starting CB (Goodman) and perhaps his backup (Cox).
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Do we know that Martindale isn't a "real coach"? Hard to judge a guy who has marginal talent to begin with, very limited quality depth, and then loses both of his outside LBs (Dumervil and Ayers), a starting S (Dawkins) and his backup (McBath), and a starting CB (Goodman) and perhaps his backup (Cox).
I agree. I also think you need to give the OL coaches a season. With the injuries/rookies, it is going to take a little time. I am not happy but you need to show patience.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Yep, that wouldn't affect the performance of a team. Just ask jhns, the resident "know-it-all".
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
His only pro experience is LBer's coach. . . .

. . . . For Oakland.

He wasn't even the first choice DC. Dean Pees was and for some reason Pees chose to be the LBer's coach in B'more rather than take the DC job here.

Sorry, but we had a great one in Mike Nolan who did more with far less.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
His only pro experience is LBer's coach. . . .

. . . . For Oakland.

He wasn't even the first choice DC. Dean Pees was and for some reason Pees chose to be the LBer's coach in B'more rather than take the DC job here.

Sorry, but we had a great one in Mike Nolan who did more with far less.
Nolan had a healthy Doom, Dawkins, and Goodman.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Yep, that wouldn't affect the performance of a team. Just ask jhns, the resident "know-it-all".
It will but not to the point of 59-14. In fact, Slowik had more injuries in his one season and I don't see a single person trying to make this excuse for him. This team just did worse than the beat up Slowik defense ever did.

The team is great though. I don't know why I ever questioned the direction. You are right about me, I just don't know what I'm talking about!

jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

I've been a supporter of McDaniels from the get go. That being said, if the team comes out on Sunday and is not competative, the first move I would make is find a GM that has a proven track record and replace X right away. Said GM could start his coaching search sooner rather than later and get the front office in order and have that much more time to get ready for the draft. There's a very real possibility that we'll be drafting top 5, and we can't screw that up.

If the team comes out and responds, at least it would show that they have some fight in them and that they believe in what the coach is preaching. I think this week coming up decides McD's fate with the team. I know it's early to say that, but if they lay down again...He's as sure as gone.

Bring in a GM that has known success in this league, one that would be the head man without a doubt, and get t he wheels in motion.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Probably very good points, but I think they go against human nature. Most of us, most of the time, when things are breaking down, tend towards more micro-management, and it looks to me like McD may be falling into the same natural trap.
I hear you, but McDaniels chose to meddle with the running game/OL way before it was breaking down.

We only needed a C/RB combo and Dennison/Turner would have taken care of the rest. Instead McDaniels chose to go down this road in forcing a power blocking scheme on players like Kuper/Harris/Clady who clearly aren't doing well in it, starting a rookie Center and to top it all off trading a 4th for Maroney.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Nolan had a healthy Doom, Dawkins, and Goodman.
Look we could go around in circles here all day. Nolan didn't have a Jamal Williams, Bannan, improved Robert Ayers, Cox etc etc.

The bottom line is Nolan got this defense to play well above their collective talent (especially along the front 7) until after 7 games when other teams had enough film to exploit our lack of talent up front.

The same nonsense keeps repeating itself here in Denver. We stumble through inept Defensive Coordinators, never giving them the kind of fire power they need along the DL and when we do luck out in finding a DC that can get the most out of his players (Coyer, Nolan), they get scape goated or run out of town even though they had nothing to work with along the DL.

Same old story.