The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default The Shotgun QB Punt...

Watching the Giants/Cowboys tonight and saw a situation I've see a bit recently that has me remembering Elway. Giants with ball in that no-man's land (too far for FG, not good for punting, 4th and long) and they punt.

I seem to remember that the Broncos would pretty regularly line up in a shotgun formation and then have Elway put a little pooch punt down into the red zone. Just makes me wonder why we never see that anymore...?
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengopher1976 View Post
Watching the Giants/Cowboys tonight and saw a situation I've see a bit recently that has me remembering Elway. Giants with ball in that no-man's land (too far for FG, not good for punting, 4th and long) and they punt.

I seem to remember that the Broncos would pretty regularly line up in a shotgun formation and then have Elway put a little pooch punt down into the red zone. Just makes me wonder why we never see that anymore...?
We don't have Elway anymore.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I don't just mean from us. Why don't any teams employ it? Does it simply come down to aptitude? Perhaps this is naivete, but it just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to execute for a QB, and the chance to pin has to be equal or better to an actual punt.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

NFL thinks players are good at one thing and one thing only.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think coaches are scared to take a risk and get hammered for it in the media. Quite often, you're talking about a change of about 30 yds in field position but they wont even take a risk on something creative.

I'd like to see more fake punts, FGs, etc. when you're in that area but no coach wants to be the one that has it backfire for not playing conservative.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I would like to see the NFL go back to the player that scored the TD attempt the extra point like they did way way back.

eliminate the FG position or make them play another position but keep the roster spot. It would make PAT's interesting again and not time to run to the can.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengopher1976 View Post

I could see it with Tebow, with Orton, not so much. He'd probably sprain an ankle.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
I could see it with Tebow, with Orton, not so much. He'd probably sprain an ankle.
I think it is more how athletic the QB is in order to execute it without hurting himself or the team.

Didn't Elway hit one bad and it bounced back near the LOS and was a wash? I think after that Reeve's stopped running it.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I remember Kordell Stewart doing it for the Steelers.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I think coaches are scared to take a risk and get hammered for it in the media. Quite often, you're talking about a change of about 30 yds in field position but they wont even take a risk on something creative.

I'd like to see more fake punts, FGs, etc. when you're in that area but no coach wants to be the one that has it backfire for not playing conservative.
That run from the Browns punter was pretty sweet. Hell I take him for a running back right about now.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
That run from the Browns punter was pretty sweet. Hell I take him for a running back right about now.
That dude showed more breakaway speed than Slowshon.

(I don't really mind Moreno but it was funny)
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I do like this question, but I think its just another result of growing up watching John Elway Unfortunately, QBs probably can't punt it farther than you or me unless they are one of the greatest athletes ever.

By the way, while we're talking about punting. Is there anything more annoying than old school lame hacks wondering outloud what happened to the coffin corner kick? Maybe it went away because it had a 1:25 success rate? Or maybe it's much better to to sky the ball since most returners are still stupid enough to take a fair catch at the 5 (yes, I'm talking about you, too, Broncos returners). Anyways, it's annoying.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote