The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Analysis: Broncos not what McDaniels preaches

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16429356

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels repeatedly has said he wants a tough, smart, physical football team.

The numbers say the Broncos are not that team.

The Broncos are last in the league running the football, sitting at only 68.4 yards per game. That's an eye-opening 10.6 yards per game behind the Detroit Lions, who are 31st.

That's a team unable to move the line of scrimmage and unable to keep itself in games long enough to run the ball from a down-and-distance position of strength.

The Broncos are also 30th in the league in run defense, allowing 156.3 yards per game. Toss in the fact the Colts rushed for only 40 yards against the Broncos last month and that average is even more alarming.

In the Broncos' past 13 losses, they have surrendered at least 173 yards rushing seven times and opponents have topped 200 yards five times.

With either of those problems a team would have difficulty winning consistently over the long haul in the NFL without a Hall-of-Fame worthy quarterback. A team can't consistently surrender field position, time on the game clock and take that much punishment, yet still expect success.

Read more: Analysis: Broncos not what McDaniels preaches - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13PUu5ik2

Jeff sums up my views perfectly. I would take it a step further and begin to question if those attributes, "tough, smart, physical", are even the most critical thing you need to a build a team around. And does having them necessarily even make you a better team, or at least better enough to warrant building an entire team around them? Maybe and maybe not, but even if they are, McDaniels has been unable to assemble that here.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The front seven suck plain and simple we need to invest heavily in some young talented defensive players until then it doesn't matter what the secondary looks like they will fail like they have. I will say that he has beafed up the lines but we need talented beafed up players with nasty mean streaks on both sides of the ball
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The O-line coaching is terrible.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

how 'bout he understands conceptually what tough, smart, physical means, but cannot realize it when it smacks him in the butt. HILLIS? (sorry, had to go there) OOPS...smart....maybe
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Don't forget about the D-line coaching we need help in a big way
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I think this team needs to focus on a single identity and milk the crap out of that before moving on. Their identity is all over the place. I want people to look at Denver and say "they can play some defense" or "they're the best passing team in the league", "they run the ball better than anyone right now", etc. and use that identity as a starting point moving forward. As it stands, they're largely mediocre at a number of facets of the game and don't strike fear into their opponents. How do teams go from bad to good? They focus on one thing, become the best at it and build from there.

Last edited by Rulon Velvet Jones; 10-25-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
...How to teams go from bad to good? They focus on one thing, become the best at it and build from there.
You nailed it with that quote right there.
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I would rather have a team of athletes who can Execute a base set of plays and pound it out and allow them to use their athletic prowess rather than making them think about who is lined up where, how far back, is his foot turned out or in, is an extra blitzer coming, what is the hot call, where is my baby mama in the stands, all before the snap.

Build on execution then start adding stuff. Making rookies or 1st year guys define their blocks or run based on where the OLB is standing pre and post snap is tough to do.

BTW you can be physical running the ZBS just as well as the power run game. If he wanted to be physical he would have beefed up the OL and DL rather than waste picks on QB's and CB's high.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'll add in this smarter football team is averaging more than 8 penalties per game.

Quote:
Dennison is in Houston and in one offseason has transformed one of the worst running games in the league to one of the best.

But what the hell does he know compared to the wealth of experience Josh has in the run game.

Running Game/OL/Defense gone.

Apart from the passing game, McD has pretty much dismantled the rest of the team.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

if you live by the "scheme", you die by the "scheme". throw the scheme out and pound the muther******ng ball. sacrifice a game or two. make them prove themselves.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
how 'bout he understands conceptually what tough, smart, physical means, but cannot realize it when it smacks him in the butt. HILLIS? (sorry, had to go there) OOPS...smart....maybe
Apparently, trading a 4th for Maroney qualifies what Josh means by tough, smart and physical football players.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Tough and smart? Absolutely. Football-smart, of course.

Again, my second reference to Ray Lewis today.... he's a POS, but they don't make football players any better than he is. He's tough, and football-smart. He's a respected leader on that defense.

We need more players like Lewis, minus the part about killing dudes.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Quote:
definitely something up this year. Someone posted in another thread Clady, Harris, and Kuper have all regressed this year. Clady was all-world last year and he's barely passable this season. What gives?
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
Clady was all-world last year and he's barely passable this season. What gives?
Well, his knee, for one.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Tough and smart? Absolutely. Football-smart, of course.

Again, my second reference to Ray Lewis today.... he's a POS, but they don't make football players any better than he is. He's tough, and football-smart. He's a respected leader on that defense.

We need more players like Lewis, minus the part about killing dudes.
Gotta love any recommendation that ends with "minus the part about killing dudes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
definitely something up this year. Someone posted in another thread Clady, Harris, and Kuper have all regressed this year. Clady was all-world last year and he's barely passable this season. What gives?
Clady's injury set him back, however that doesn't change how much the entire line has regressed. In fact they're getting worse every game and we aren't necessarily facing better opponents.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Alfred says someone needs to tell Josh they need a new Oline scheme and a new Oline coach or a new HC if he refuses to change.

Once again meet the new boss same as the old boss (Slovik)
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

How many times have we lined up with less than 11 players?

Richard Quinn getting chewed out because he was lining up wrong.

Giving up on average 8 penalties a game.

Blown coverages, the amount of times players fumbled the ball this year.

Completely missing blocks/assignments on special teams every game that result in the kind of hits Demarius Thomas took on his blind side.

The coaches have changed the return man virtually every game along with the starting OL.

There are a few players in this team that fit the description, but on the whole there is nothing tough or smart about this football team.

This is about the most finesse offense I've seen in Denver in a long long time.

We couldn't even run the ball on Oakland even when they were sitting on a 38 point lead. It was only when they started sitting out their starters that we had any positive yardage in the run game.

Anyone who thinks a football team that simply cannot run the ball is tough needs to look up the word in the dictionary.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-25-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

You have to actually put a focus on the offensive line and defensive line to be a physically tough football team. Just talking about it doesn't appear to be enough to get it done.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

The line play did improve in the Jets game. Honestly everything was so bad this week that I couldn't focus on any area in particular.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

When Cox bent over for that fumble yesterday instead of just falling on the ball, I just about bit through my tongue.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #21
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
When Cox bent over for that fumble yesterday instead of just falling on the ball, I just about bit through my tongue.
Thought that was Nate Jones.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thought that was Nate Jones.
It was.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

More sprints.

Lol, where's TheDave or SureShot when you need em?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #24
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16429356

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels repeatedly has said he wants a tough, smart, physical football team.

The numbers say the Broncos are not that team.

The Broncos are last in the league running the football, sitting at only 68.4 yards per game. That's an eye-opening 10.6 yards per game behind the Detroit Lions, who are 31st.

That's a team unable to move the line of scrimmage and unable to keep itself in games long enough to run the ball from a down-and-distance position of strength.

The Broncos are also 30th in the league in run defense, allowing 156.3 yards per game. Toss in the fact the Colts rushed for only 40 yards against the Broncos last month and that average is even more alarming.

In the Broncos' past 13 losses, they have surrendered at least 173 yards rushing seven times and opponents have topped 200 yards five times.

With either of those problems a team would have difficulty winning consistently over the long haul in the NFL without a Hall-of-Fame worthy quarterback. A team can't consistently surrender field position, time on the game clock and take that much punishment, yet still expect success.

Read more: Analysis: Broncos not what McDaniels preaches - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13PUu5ik2

Jeff sums up my views perfectly. I would take it a step further and begin to question if those attributes, "tough, smart, physical", are even the most critical thing you need to a build a team around. And does having them necessarily even make you a better team, or at least better enough to warrant building an entire team around them? Maybe and maybe not, but even if they are, McDaniels has been unable to assemble that here.
You're questioning that?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #25
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
I think this team needs to focus on a single identity and milk the crap out of that before moving on. Their identity is all over the place. I want people to look at Denver and say "they can play some defense" or "they're the best passing team in the league", "they run the ball better than anyone right now", etc. and use that identity as a starting point moving forward. As it stands, they're largely mediocre at a number of facets of the game and don't strike fear into their opponents. How do teams go from bad to good? They focus on one thing, become the best at it and build from there.
That's a good point.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote