The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Kyle Orton is done as the Broncos' quarterback. He just doesn't know it yet

McDaniels' last salvation Tebow

Kyle Orton is done as the Broncos' quarterback. He just doesn't know it yet. So what's the hang-up getting the Tim Tebow era started? Coach Josh McDaniels doesn't have the guts to tell his players their NFL season is dead.

Good heavens, can Tebow save us from this mess?

The humiliation of a 59-14 loss to Oakland will forever be stamped like an "L" on the forehead of Orton so long as he wears a Broncos uniform. Whether he starts one or 12 more games for Denver doesn't really matter. Orton can never again inspire real hope in this town.

Is that fair? Heck, what does fair have to do with it?

This defeat will leave a scar on true blue Broncomaniacs, and the rout was on from the instant Orton threw a pick-six that staked the Raiders to a two-touchdown lead before Denver could run its second offensive play from scrimmage.

Asked if he would have liked the opportunity to play in the fourth quarter against the Raiders, Tebow responded as if reading from a cue card, his monotone voice as stiff and robotic as the movements of the new throwing motion he's trying to master. "I just try to do the best I can with my role," Tebow said.

His role is as a gimmick. That should not be the role of a first- round draft choice on a losing NFL team.

Fans predisposed to hating McDaniels for not being Mike Shanahan, for trading Jay Cutler or for wearing a hoodie now have a reason to despise him even more. During the past 50 years, has there ever been a darker football Sunday in Denver?

The venom hurled at McDaniels as he left the field was as angry as any abuse taken by a Denver coach since Wade Phillips suffered a 48-16 loss to the Raiders at the old Mile High Stadium in 1994. Phillips never recovered. He got fired the same year, at the end of his second season on the job.

Only Tebow can save McDaniels now.

But here's the tricky part: If Tebow can't play, then McDaniels is done in Denver.

In the fourth quarter, when only a few thousand masochists were left in a 75,000-seat stadium, McDaniels could have given the die-hards one reason to cheer by inserting Tebow at quarterback. McDaniels never made the move. Stubborn and stupid is no way to go through life.

"That's not really the time that I'd want (Tebow) to get work," said McDaniels, explaining why Orton played to the bitter end, at a time when the only dramatic thing Orton could have done was get injured during the final minutes of a blowout.

The Broncos own a 2-5 record. Until they were embarrassed by Oakland, I foolishly believed this Denver team had a chance to win a weak AFC West. My bad. What are the Broncos' playoff chances now? Well, take the Olympic record time in which veteran Champ Bailey bolted from the locker room without a peep, divide by three, and you get a big, fat zero.

What hope does McDaniels have to sell to franchise owner Pat Bowlen or all those people who bought No. 15 jerseys after Tebow was drafted?

Although they have a flight scheduled to London, the Broncos aren't going anywhere this season. Finishing 8-8 would be a major accomplishment. So why not let Tebow actually throw his first NFL pass or start his first league game?

After a great showing in September, Orton has completed a pathetic 41 percent of his passes for an average of barely 200 yards per game in consecutive losses to the New York Jets and Raiders that have ripped the heart from Denver's will to win.

But life in a losing locker room is never easy. As soon as McDaniels gives a start to Tebow, the coach basically informs 37-year-old safety Brian Dawkins and 34-year-old nose tackle Jamal Williams the Broncos are playing for a future in which it's impossible to imagine how they fit in. Go with Tebow as the starter, and Bailey might be glad Denver pulled that offer of a contract extension from the table, so the veteran cornerback can find a franchise closer to championship contention as a free agent.

McDaniels was obviously hoping not to depend on Tebow until 2012, for two obvious reasons. He doesn't want to rush his prized draft choice so much that impatience ensures failure. More important, should Tebow fail, then Bowlen would have to wonder why he hired McDaniels in the first place.

As soon as Denver starts Tebow at quarterback, the clock starts ticking on McDaniels' last chance to show he is competent at building and coaching a successful NFL franchise.

Should the Broncos lose in London and fall to 2-6, however, there would be one much more compelling motivation to start Tebow after a bye week, in a home game Nov. 14 against Kansas City. It would be a matter of self-preservation for the coach.

Sooner rather than later, the lone way McDaniels can silence the booing of Broncomaniacs directed at him will be to send Tebow marching into the Denver huddle.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16425205

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 10-25-2010 at 04:24 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think it'd do more harm than good to Tebow's development, honestly.

So much of the offense we run is built on pre-snap reads, audibles and generally just knowing where to go with the ball. Tebow is still learning all of this, AND trying to alter his mechanics at the same time. With our pathetic defense and complete lack of running game, we'd basically be throwing Tebow to the wolves by sending him in there and asking him to try and win some games for us.

The smart play is to keep Orton in there for the rest of the year, hope he can play at a solid level for the rest of the season and then trade him to someone who has a competitive team but needs a solid QB (Vikings maybe) in the offseason, then use the draft picks to try and upgade elsewhere.

Turn the team over to Tebow for 2011 and beyond, and then we'll see what he's got.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

So much of the offense we run is built on pre-snap reads, audibles and generally just knowing where to go with the ball. Tebow is still learning all of this, AND trying to alter his mechanics at the same time. With our pathetic defense and complete lack of running game, we'd basically be throwing Tebow to the wolves by sending him in there and asking him to try and win some games for us.

The smart play is to keep Orton in there for the rest of the year, hope he can play at a solid level for the rest of the season and then trade him to someone who has a competitive team but needs a solid QB (Vikings maybe) in the offseason, then use the draft picks to try and upgade elsewhere.

Turn the team over to Tebow for 2011 and beyond, and then we'll see what he's got.
This. I swear that Denver has the worst sportswriters.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

I've had this feeling since last year that Orton will end up a Viking.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
[B] McDaniels never made the move. Stubborn and stupid is no way to go through life.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16425205
LMAO!

The article sounds somewhat like what TJ was saying last night.

McDaniels must be pretty strong. He can throw Orton under the bus and throw Tebow to the wolves all at the same time.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i love how after a single game, everyone is ready to throw orton under the bus, despite the fact that without him we might not have the 2 wins we do, and the losses would have been 2x as bad.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i love how after a single game, everyone is ready to throw orton under the bus, despite the fact that without him we might not have the 2 wins we do, and the losses would have been 2x as bad.
I don't think most people, and certainly not everyone are throwing Orton under the bus. I believe the sentiment is to save his job, McDaniels may have to make Orton the scapegoat. There is a difference.

I for one don't think Orton is our biggest problem, but McDaniels will need alot of teflon if he keeps this up.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I was ready to throw him under the bus long before this game. I have tried opening everyones eyes to the stupidity of McDaniels. I have tried explaining that no coach has ever succeeded doing things the way he is. You guys just don't want to listen. You guys hate this team. You guys root for us to become the new Raiders. Sad really.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton is done as our QB though, just not as soon as the article says.

Opening day next season, I'd be amazed if anyone other than Tebow is taking the snap on our first offensive play. Only chance Kyle had was to lead Denver to the playoffs this year, and we know for sure now that this won't be happening.

I think we'd fetch a pretty good pick for Orton. Vikings, Cardinals, 49ers are three teams I can think of who have good rosters and are just let down by shoddy QB play and who have no young, developmental talent to speak of.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Problem is - if there is a coaching change as everyone seems to want, who's to say that new coach wants Tebow as his starter?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

The article was dead on. Just keep supporting the idiot.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #12
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
I've had this feeling since last year that Orton will end up a Viking.
Does anybody think someone would take Kyle Orton and his 1 year/$9 million dollar contract?
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yes, it's Orton's fault the defense can't stop anybody.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
I just don't see that... He's not responsible for 2 wins. He was part of a team effort for all 4 wins. I don't think he's done anything special that somebody else couldn't do.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
Does anybody think someone would take Kyle Orton and his 1 year/$9 million dollar contract?
Ummmmm, you bet. That's chump change for a starter.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Unfortunately for Orton he is going to take the fall for his idiot coach.

McDaniels may have been the only guy to get what he has been able to get out of Orton...but he also may be the only guy that believes in Tebow. Just wait for the meltdown when a new coach takes over, and goes with Quinn.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
Unfortunately for Orton he is going to take the fall for his idiot coach.

McDaniels may have been the only guy to get what he has been able to get out of Orton...but he also may be the only guy that believes in Tebow. Just wait for the meltdown when a new coach takes over, and goes with Quinn.
so you are on the mcidiot bandwagon now, or were you always on it?

crybabies seem to run together. orton isnt taking any fall, i promise you that. not only is he getting 9 million dollars next year, he will be starting somewhere.

and if you think no other teams wanted tebow, you are simply dense.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
so you are on the mcidiot bandwagon now, or were you always on it?

crybabies seem to run together. orton isnt taking any fall, i promise you that. not only is he getting 9 million dollars next year, he will be starting somewhere.

and if you think no other teams wanted tebow, you are simply dense.
go **** yourself troll

I was always a McD supporter until yesterday, he completely lost me with the most embarrassing loss I can personally remember...this one actually makes me forget about 1996, but you wouldn't know much about that since you probably became a fan the following year.

Welcome to the ignore list, you are easily the most grammatically ignorant and immature member of the fan police to grace this board. I am amazed that you are in graduate school.

oh and here is a tsi friendly version for you without punctuation or those pesky capital letters, you know...I don't want to get you all confused when you reply knowing I just put you on ignore anyhow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi friendly
go **** yourself troll

i was always a mcd supporter until yesterday he completely lost me with the most embarrassing loss i can personally remember this one actually makes me forget about 1996 but you wouldn't know much about that since you probably became a fan the following year

welcome to the ignore list you are easily the most grammatically ignorant and immature member of the fan police to grace this board i am amazed that you are in graduate school
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

You know, Orton and the Vikings could be a very good match next year. Assuming that the Vikings can get their receiving corps healthy again, it is exactly the kind of environment that Orton would flourish in. Solid running game, stout defense, A passing game that asks him to be more of a game manager than a gunslinger. Plus, living in Chicago, I would love the intrigue that the Viking/Bears games would generate.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #20
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Wow. This is Kiszla? He sounds like Woody.

that's how far McDaniels has fallen.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
go **** yourself troll

I was always a McD supporter until yesterday, he completely lost me with the most embarrassing loss I can personally remember...this one actually makes me forget about 1996, but you wouldn't know much about that since you probably became a fan the following year.

Welcome to the ignore list, you are easily the most grammatically ignorant and immature member of the fan police to grace this board. I am amazed that you are in graduate school.

oh and here is a tsi friendly version for you without punctuation or those pesky capital letters, you know...I don't want to get you all confused when you reply knowing I just put you on ignore anyhow
Not even close. We win that we would most likely have won it all that year.

You saying this game wipes out the memory of the 96 loss tells me you are way over reacting.

That Jacksonville loss most likely kept us from winning the Super Bowl three years in a row.

Is this what the week is going to be like.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

amazing that a loss like this is the worst loss you can remember. amazing!

forget when they lost 52-21 FOR THE DIVISION TITLE against san diego. or when they lost to the 49ers the previous year, again for a playoff spot. or when they lost 44-7 or something to the LIONS, who only had like 4 wins that year. they also got blown the **** out against the patriots on monday night, mid 40s-7.

but since mcdaniels is the coach and not shanahan, this loss is somehow worse than those far more significant losses. and in 96 i was 9 years old jackass, how am i supposed to remember anything bronco related when i dont even remember my pets names.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not even close. We win that we would most likely have won it all that year.

You saying this game wipes out the memory of the 96 loss tells me you are way over reacting.

That Jacksonville loss most likely kept us from winning the Super Bowl three years in a row.

Is this what the week is going to be like.
I don't know baja, the reason that this one bothers me so badly is because there is not a chance in hell we should have lost it. We didn't even just lose yesterday, we were demolished by a lesser team. We were not ready in any phase of the game. At least Jacksonville was a playoff team. This is the Raiders we are talking about here...a team that was contemplating starting their 3rd string guy, a team that is our biggest rival. A rivalry that I am just not sure the coaching staff really puts enough emphasis on to be honest. This is a game at home we should never lose, ever. At a minimum, the team should come out and play instead of it looking like a keystone cops scrimmage.

Maybe I am a little jaded because we had an awesome season in 1996, 1997 and 1998. Yesterday's loss punctuates for me a letdown season from 2009, and makes me wonder just how bad it's going to get before it gets better. That's a feeling I never had in 1996 after that game.

I am not saying 1996 wasn't bad, but me personally...yesterday takes the cake. Again, just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
forget when they lost 52-21 FOR THE DIVISION TITLE against san diego.
Against a decent team. Not the raiders. I was at that game. It was soul crushing. I remember questioning if it were time for Mike to go.

This game is even more crushing, because it's against the ****ing raiders. And we are not even close to contention. And because it's not a two time superbowl winning head coach, and a man who has more superbowl rings then God as a head coach.

Quote:
or when they lost to the 49ers the previous year, again for a playoff spot. or when they lost 44-7 or something to the LIONS, who only had like 4 wins that year. they also got blown the **** out against the patriots on monday night, mid 40s-7.
When we had winning records, and at least where in contention.

The reason this loss is being blown up is because everyone is realizing exactly how bad this team is, and finally coming to grips with 2-5 not being a accident.

Quote:
but since mcdaniels is the coach and not shanahan, this loss is somehow
That dog don't hunt anymore son. This type of loss cost Wade his job, and is looking pretty dicey for McDaniels at the moment.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
amazing that a loss like this is the worst loss you can remember. amazing!

forget when they lost 52-21 FOR THE DIVISION TITLE against san diego. or when they lost to the 49ers the previous year, again for a playoff spot. or when they lost 44-7 or something to the LIONS, who only had like 4 wins that year. they also got blown the **** out against the patriots on monday night, mid 40s-7.
I was at that Pats game. Man, was it bad. The worst I've ever seen in person. But it wasn't as bad all around as yesterday's game. We were still "in" the Pats game at halftime. It wasn't until the 3rd quarter and the Pats started to pick on Champ's injury replacements that things really fell apart.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote