The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Do You Go To Games With No Rooting Interest?

I know we have Broncos fans from all over the country, so I wanted to pose the question.

Basically I had a family get together this past weekend in Knoxville, TN. My family are all from the South and they're huge into college football. The main point of the trip was to see each other and experience big-time SEC football. We went to Tennessee/Alabama. So that was fun.

As it turned out, the Titans were also in Nashville against the Eagles, and my Dad and I went separately to that before flying home tonight. (Thankfully, I missed our debacle, but I digress...)

Anyways, it was cool seeing teams I had never seen live before, it was cool seeing a stadium I had never seen before, but it was just different. I saw the Titans fans cheering, doing their thing, which was great... But I don't know. Seeing some cool big plays was nice, the game was exciting in the second half, but it was just weird. I basically watched the game. Not to say that I don't watch the game at Invesco, but there I'm cheering, I'm stomping, I know every player on the field, etc.

So, do the folks not in Denver or the surrounding area make it a point to see NFL games where you don't have a rooting interest? I mean, I had some fantasy implications but that was as far as it went. It was a fun way to spend an afternoon, don't get me wrong... But it was just weird.

(Oh -- and I know that technically I should have been rooting for Philly since theoretically the Broncos and Titans could be fighting for a wild card spot, but let's be real, even before today's game that wasn't going to happen.)
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

No. I'd never spend money on watching other teams. But that's just me.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I've done it before many times. It's generally meh, unless you can really get into it which is usually dependent on booze.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I went to a Cowboys game. I was most interested in seeing the new staduim. They just so happened to be playing the Bears so I guess I had an interest in who won. Either way it was a good time.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I feel like if I were to do it again, I'd want it to be a bigger game. Not just two random teams who rarely play each other. I mean I'm sure Pats/Colts could be fun, Ravens/Steelers, any NFC East division game, etc.

It was cool. I mean I love the NFL. Just a very different feel.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

For me, it's like watching baseball. If someone hits a home run, i'll be like all "Yo, damn he cranked that ball with a bat", but other than that i'm like " I dun rily like this sport"
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I would be more interested in going to a random college game than an NFL team as it is easy to pretend you are one with the students. Tough to act like you are one with a Jaguar from Jacksonville.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Never entertained the idea of seeing any otherNFL game that the Broncos were not a part of.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

When I lived in the Northeast, I went to several Bruins games although I was an Avs fan. I lived there for a few years, and just started cheering for them... now I'm a Bruins fan.

Now that I live in the Netherlands, I go to some hockey games in Germany and don't care about either team... I saw Liverpool vs Birmingham, cheering for Liverpool just because of the people I was with.

Then there was the Netherlands-Sweden Eurocup Football match. I cheered for the Netherlands most of the game, but let out a big "Heja Sverige" when Sweden scored because of my Swedish roots.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
v2micca
Ring of Famer

My sister lives in Baltimore walking distance from both Camdem Yards and M&T stadium. So, there have been occasions when free or cheap tickets have been in the offering and I've gone to watch both the Oriels and the Ravens play against teams I have no interest in. Regardless of who your Baseball team is, I would recommend getting out to Camdem yards at least once. Its a beautiful park with a lot of character and tickets are really cheap these days.
v2micca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I've done it before and that is why there is sports betting my friend. You'll have a side to root for. Tennessee has been good ATS this year.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
My sister lives in Baltimore walking distance from both Camdem Yards and M&T stadium.
Does she have a concealed to carry permit? If not, she should.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
Does she have a concealed to carry permit? If not, she should.
Trust me, I know. Every other week I get to hear her complain about some mugging that happened a few streets over from where she lives. Funny thing, I spent 3 years in Iraq and She was in more danger than me the entire time.
v2micca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
No. I'd never spend money on watching other teams. But that's just me.

I only go if I get free tickets. I get free tickets from work for the Rams game before and I have went, and its fun seeing new stadiums.

I would pay some money to see a huge game in college football, but more to be part of the tailgaiting. But I wouldnt say more then 50 bucks for a ticket, if it was more then I would just tailgate the whole thing.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I have lived in Chicago land for just about 30 years now.

I have been to a bunch of Bear games, the 3-4 times Denver has played there over those 30 years and then for others as well.

Some years back in late 80's/early 90's I would buy a game off a work bud and go just to get a football fix. If it were an AFC matchup I would root (I use root in a context different than homers with fan cards would) for duh bears, if it was a division game I would root for the other team. duh bears were so bad after Ditka it got to the point that I would only pay for AFC west matchups. Then as I climbed the corporate ladder I got more and more free tix offers so I haven't paid for duh bear ticket in about 15 years.

It is strange to be there with no vested interest. I was there in 2006 when Chicago clinched the Division vs Minn (it was so cold my beer kept freezing) and after the game I just wanted to get to the car and blast the heat.

If you go with friends who like a team it is fun because you can rag on their team as the game goes on.

I prefer to go rather than sit on the couch but it is not the same as going for a team you love.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote