The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Default 2000 Ravens coach thought only Denver stood between them and SB

2000 Ravens retrospective over at the Baltimore Sun. they interviewed Billick and part of the conversation centered on their playoff game against Denver. Billick basically said that the game against Denver was the one he didn't know if they could win. They weren't worried about Tennessee or Oakland. They knew if they could get past Denver and Shanahan, then they could march through the playoffs and win the SB.

i thought this was interesting point. the 2000 Broncos team doesn't stand out in my memory as particularly elite (although they were 11-5 that year). i guess this was Billick's way of saying that he didn't know he'd arrived as a head coach until he'd beat someone like Shanny in the playoffs.

Quote:
Q: Moving on to the postseason, as a spectator looking back at signature moments, for me it was Dilfer to Sharpe for 96 yards and the longest completion in postseason history. That was fairly late in the playoffs. You had won a few games before that. Is there a moment like that for you?

A: For me it was the Denver game [the first playoff game]. I felt -- this is the truth -- if we could beat Denver, I didn't think anyone else could stop us. I knew we'd win the Super Bowl.

Q: Was it something about that team's makeup that made it more of a challenge than Tennessee and Oakland?

A: It was, and I told the guys: "You've got to get my back on this one. Mike Shanahan has two Super Bowl rings, and I've never coached a playoff game as a head coach. You're better than they are, but I'm not sure I'm better than he is, so you've got to cover us here." The defense was brilliant, and we did just enough offensively -- we ran the ball really well. Once we got past that Denver game -- because obviously we were confident with our ability to beat Tennessee because we had done it -- it wasn't going to be easy, but we were confident we could do it. And then, Oakland, the leading rushing team in the league. That was what they were built on, and I knew they weren't going to be able to piss a drop. And I knew they didn't know that. And the same with the Giants, and I don't mean it disrespectfully, but there was not a fraction, an iota of a second during the Super Bowl preparation that it occurred to me that we wouldn't win that game.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1001137.story
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Shanahan can do a lot with a little. He's a fantastic game-day coach. Clearly, he could dominate when he had the right talent.

Personally, I think our current coach shares some of those traits.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Our offense that year was actually really good... wasn't that Mike Andersons rookie year?
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

at the end of the article, there's a nice little dig at the Raiders. when asked if he'd come back, Billick points out the Raiders and Al Davis by name as an organization and boss he would NOT come back and work for.

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
Our offense that year was actually really good... wasn't that Mike Andersons rookie year?
The 'O' was pretty good that year. But they did nothing in that game. I remember Griese having a miserable day and the running game never getting going.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

It was Gus Frerotte, Griese was hurt with the shoulder he reinjured in the season finale.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
B-Love
Ring of Famer

On the day we closed Mile High, we destroyed San Francisco, but early in that game, Griese was drilled into the turf and reinjured his wing.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont remember thinking we had any shot in that game.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
On the day we closed Mile High, we destroyed San Francisco, but early in that game, Griese was drilled into the turf and reinjured his wing.
Didnt he come back briefly for that beautiful handoff on a KaRon Coleman TD or something? The days when the mile high crowd adored Griese
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
B-Love
Ring of Famer

2000 was a really great year to be on the forums for sure. There was alot of intense back and forth about Griese-Frerotte, which was very polarizing.

Mike Anderson's rise from nowhere. TD was still spot playing and had a few 100 yard games. You had really great performances, such as one of the most impressive QB days by Brian Griese at the Meadowlands against the Jets. Maybe the best 3rd down passing performance I have ever seen.

We also gave the Rams a run for their money opening night, in their title defense. We also walked into Oakland and dominated early, and also destroyed Reeves in his return to Denver.

But then we also had these terrible games. Bledsoe and the Pats just humiliated us at home. The Chiefs walked away with an inexcusable win, that game sucked!! Andf then Ryan Leaf had the greatest game of his career and almost humiliated the organization.

Rod Smith running out of the backfield at Husky Stadium? Flashbulbs galore at the finale of the Frisco game. VERY memorable season.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Also Travis McGriff's only career TD? Who can forget that?

Another clunker was the road game at KC, where we scored our only TD on a Chiefs muffed punt. Our O was very feast or famine with Gus at the controls.

And that was the Corey Dillon game year too right?? Damn, that was some memorable year, for both great and horrible reasons.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
He's a fantastic game-day coach.
I think Shanahan was/is one of the best game planners ever, but I always thought he had a difficult time adjusting if things weren't working during a game.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Didnt he come back briefly for that beautiful handoff on a KaRon Coleman TD or something? The days when the mile high crowd adored Griese
Griese tore up his shoulder in a classic MNF win over the Raiders but took an injection and completed a few passes in a late drive to win the game 27-24. Very heroic, but then he missed the next 7 weeks or something.

Joe Nedney also did some nice kicking after Elam was hammered in the Falcons game.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

I'd worry too if Dilhole was my starting QB
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

His take on the Titans seems a little strange. They only beat them by the Grace of God and a few special teams plays.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Griese tore up his shoulder in a classic MNF win over the Raiders but took an injection and completed a few passes in a late drive to win the game 27-24. Very heroic, but then he missed the next 7 weeks or something.

Joe Nedney also did some nice kicking after Elam was hammered in the Falcons game.
I know, but he came back in that SF game right? Went out early, then came back in to hand off a ball that went for a long td run...right?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by popps View Post
shanahan can do a lot with a little. He's a fantastic game-day coach. Clearly, he could dominate when he had the right talent.

personally, i think our current coach shares some of those traits.
rofl!
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

That finale was something else.
A lot of people don't realize that was Jerry Rice's last game in a San Francisco 49er uniform.
The ENTIRE crowd was chanting Jerry when he was introduced pre-game, and upon the conclusion of the game. I thought that was very touching that the Denver fans recognized a true great on another team for a memorable career.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
yea #2 offense in the league that season.

only second to the Greatest Show on Turf.

And we did it with Griese and Gus Frerotte where the Rams had HOF QB in Warner.

Rod and Eddie were only the second tandem in league history to both have 100 catch seasons.

That was also the year Shanny tried to convince Steve Young to join the Broncos instead of retiring. it didnt work but its always fun to imagine what if had Steve Young joined the team that season.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
2000 was a really great year to be on the forums for sure. There was alot of intense back and forth about Griese-Frerotte, which was very polarizing.

Mike Anderson's rise from nowhere. TD was still spot playing and had a few 100 yard games. You had really great performances, such as one of the most impressive QB days by Brian Griese at the Meadowlands against the Jets. Maybe the best 3rd down passing performance I have ever seen.

We also gave the Rams a run for their money opening night, in their title defense. We also walked into Oakland and dominated early, and also destroyed Reeves in his return to Denver.

But then we also had these terrible games. Bledsoe and the Pats just humiliated us at home. The Chiefs walked away with an inexcusable win, that game sucked!! Andf then Ryan Leaf had the greatest game of his career and almost humiliated the organization.

Rod Smith running out of the backfield at Husky Stadium? Flashbulbs galore at the finale of the Frisco game. VERY memorable season.
reeally? I dont remember this game very clearly but I find it hard to believe it was better than Orton's 3rd down passing performance against Seattle this year, which was quite incredible.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

People forget, but Denver was right behind Baltimore as the two teams everyone thought were the most dangerous teams going into the playoffs. Denver did go 7-1 in the 2nd half that year.

I think all 6 AFC teams that year would have beat any of the NFC playoff teams.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
It was, but keep in mind, like we did everything, it was an organizational decision. It's my job to represent that decision, but this was not me waking up one day and saying, "You know what, we need a new quarterback." This was done over a monthlong period of time, like you do every position, "What are we going to do to repeat?" Trent was one of several free agents, so we had to consider we might lose Trent to another team. What's out there and can we be better and what's available? It would be a bold step, but clearly, what we did offensively had to be better. To think we were going to repeat the all-time greatest scoring defense in the history of the game was to ask a lot of our defense. We needed more offensive production. How do we go about doing that? We did it collectively and individually. Ozzie, Shack Harris, Matt Cavanaugh, Phil Savage and myself, and I wanted it to be that way. I didn't want a group mentality. We all assessed the situation separately. Ranked the available free agents as to who was the best, second-best, and factored in the money, what's it going to cost. That's all part of life in the NFL. And we came back and individually saw it the same way -- created the collective plan this is how we go about doing it. The consequence was Elvis Grbac.

Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
reeally? I dont remember this game very clearly but I find it hard to believe it was better than Orton's 3rd down passing performance against Seattle this year, which was quite incredible.
Good point, that was an incredible game for Orton. Similar stats, but I'll give Griese's the edge because it was a windy game, on the road, at the Meadowlands, while Orton's was perfect football weather at home.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #24
B-Love
Ring of Famer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...oncos_jets_ap/

12 for 18 overall 3rd down, 12 for 16 for Griese 3rd down passing. Road game, tough to top that performance.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I know, but he came back in that SF game right? Went out early, then came back in to hand off a ball that went for a long td run...right?
Good call you are right that he came back in

"On Denver's next series, Frerotte was shaken up on a sack and left the game, and Griese returned to hand off to KaRon Coleman, who juked his way around the left side for a 24-yard scoring run with 7:33 left in the half. Griese did not play again, however."