The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Broncos have played NFL's toughest schedule so far

One guess as to which team has played the toughest NFL schedule as the season moves into Week 7.
Here's a hint: That team just lost to the 5-1 New York Jets.
To those who are still trying to remove their orange face paint, it's true: The Broncos have played the league's most arduous schedule.
The Broncos' opponents, in order, with their records: Jacksonville (3-3), Seattle (3-2), Indianapolis (4-2), Tennessee (4-2), Baltimore (4-2) and the Jets (5-1).
The combined record of the Broncos' six opponents: 23-12, a .657 winning percentage. The 0-5 Buffalo Bills have played the next- toughest schedule, with their opponents combining for an 18-10 record (.643).
Too bad the NFL doesn't use the BCS computer rankings. The Broncos, at 2-4, may have already clinched a top-10 ranking.
A cynic might point out that had the Broncos won another game or two, their opponents' records wouldn't be so impressive.
Still, no one would argue the Broncos recently completed four-game stretch against Indy, Tennessee, Baltimore and the Jets was rugged.
"They are all good teams, there's no question about that," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said during his news conference Monday. "We will play another one this week in our division."
Perhaps, but that's not what the Oakland Raiders' record says. The Broncos' schedule appears to soften considerably with their next two games against Oakland (2-4) at Invesco Field at Mile High and against San Francisco (1-5) in London.
Then again, no 2-4 team has the right to call any opponent soft.
"If you play really well and they play really well, it is probably going to be a close game it doesn't matter who the opponent is," McDaniels said. "If you play well and they don't, you might have a chance to get out in front.
"If you don't play well, it really doesn't matter who you are playing they are going to have a chance to beat you."
Willis finished.
Wide receiver Matthew Willis was placed on season-ending injured reserve after undergoing surgery Monday to repair a broken foot, an injury suffered while playing special teams Sunday against the Jets.
Willis was arguably the Broncos' greatest preseason surprise; he led the team with 263 yards on 13 catches. He was their sixth receiver during the season and had one catch for 17 yards against Indianapolis.
Given the impressive depth the Broncos have at wide receiver rookies Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker have sat behind Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal it's possible the team may fill Willis' roster spot with a player at another position.
Then again, the Broncos may need receiver reinforcements after Royal suffered a groin injury Sunday and figures to be iffy for this Sunday's game.
Broncos general manager Brian Xanders will also be busy moni- toring any possible deals before the NFL's trade deadline arrives at 2 p.m. today.
One more time.
Broncos safety Renaldo Hill addressed his pivotal pass interference penalty late in Sunday's game while covering Jets wideout Santonio Holmes. The 46-yard penalty set up the Jets' go-ahead touchdown in their 24-20 victory. Although Hill and Holmes were tussling with each other as the pass was in the air, Hill was flagged apparently because his hand whacked Holmes' face mask. "That's all it was, was an accidental hand," Hill said. "I was just trying to catch my balance."
Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Read more: Broncos have played NFL's toughest schedule so far - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz12oT0FuY6
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

meh....you play the games you play. It doesn't matter what the record is. Denver could have very well won against Jacksonville, Indy, and NYJ if they didn't make stupid mistakes. You are what your record says you are.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The toughest schedule and it's all about missed opportunities, we should have won on Sunday, Indy and the Jags were there for the taking too.

Oakland are going to pay the price, we are going to hammer them on Sunday.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

We are 2-4 and only a game back in the division.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Sagarin, which considers SOS, has us ranked 15th with the 2nd most difficult schedule thus far.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagar...terstitialskip
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

I just talked myself into 7-3 the rest of the way. Lock it up.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
I genuinely believe 8 & 2.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
what are your three loses
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
1 Chargers, 1 Chiefs, 1 Texans....
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
1 Chargers, 1 Chiefs, 1 Texans....
I'm going with a sweep of the Chargers, they are about to fall apart
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I'm going with a sweep of the Chargers, they are about to fall apart
I don't see it....

if they sweep the Chargers and Raiders and split with the Chiefs, they'll be in good shape.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

I have a good feeling about the rest of the season, but I don't want to predict anything yet.

I hope we come out and play with intensity this Sunday. If we can come out and play at a high level and really knock the tar out of Oakland, I think that will be very telling of how the rest of the season will go.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

In the next ten games the Broncos will play 7 teams with the following records:
Oakland (2-4)
San Francisco (1-5)
Kansas City (3-2)
San Diego (2-4)
St. Louis (3-3)
Arizona (3-2)
Houston (4-2)

These teams have are a combined 18-22, or a .450 winning percentage. 5 of the games are at home, 4 are on the road, and one is at a neutral site (London).
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
meh....you play the games you play. It doesn't matter what the record is. Denver could have very well won against Jacksonville, Indy, and NYJ if they didn't make stupid mistakes. You are what your record says you are.
Exactly. And part of why their opponents are doing so well (sort of, if you count 3-2 as doing well) is that 4 of 6 of them beat the Broncos.

Schedule toughness is pretty stupid when the year is not yet done. Remember last year...6-0 Broncos.

Last edited by TotallyScrewed; 10-19-2010 at 08:16 AM..
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I say 6-4 rest of the way, I just hope we win this weekend, one game at a time.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #16
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
We are 2-4 and only a game back in the division.
Yeah, but didn't you hear? The Chiefs have been impressive in defeat.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #17
CEH
Ring of Famer

I'd like to see Josh go into Bowlen's office with this stat.

Losing close games with mental mistakes/lack of execution will just do enough to get you fired if it continues to happen like in Dallas

But the good news is 3 rookies contributed with TDs or INTs and another three are starting

Plus subtract out BUFF 5 losess and teams are 13-10 . About average for the NFL parity
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

The thing is playoff teams have to beat the good teams to advance in the playoffs. Just getting to a wildcard or divisional game only to be eliminated the 1st round just proves the team can't beat anyone at that level.

We are still an injury plagued rebuilding team a year away from making some real noise.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I'd like to see Josh go into Bowlen's office with this stat.

Losing close games with mental mistakes/lack of execution will just do enough to get you fired if it continues to happen like in Dallas

But the good news is 3 rookies contributed with TDs or INTs and another three are starting

Plus subtract out BUFF 5 losess and teams are 13-10 . About average for the NFL parity
you cannot compare Dallas to Denver. Dallas is an undisciplined team that hasn't lost any key players to injury.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The thing is playoff teams have to beat the good teams to advance in the playoffs. Just getting to a wildcard or divisional game only to be eliminated the 1st round just proves the team can't beat anyone at that level.

We are still an injury plagued rebuilding team a year away from making some real noise.
I agree with the bolded part of the last sentence.

I think MOSTLY the rebuilding is complete. Now its just a matter of finding a DE and long term NT, and maybe an O-lineman. The guys we have on the o-line are going to be better, but injury and inexperience are hurting us now.

The rest of the team I think is fairly set and quality.

IF we can stay healthy to our key players next year, we will make some noise, a lot of it.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
I don't know who a a young/banged up team like this is going to lose to. But I know they've had chances to win every game so far except maybe against Baltimore.

So with this upcoming schedule, it's not unreasonable to see them to winning 5 of the 6 home/neutral site games and 2 of the 4 road games. Is it?

Am I crazy and a homer? Yes and yes. But I will be very disappointed in the team and the coaching staff if they can't at least finish above .500 the rest of the way.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

I think MOSTLY the rebuilding is complete. Now its just a matter of finding a DE and long term NT, and maybe an O-lineman. The guys we have on the o-line are going to be better, but injury and inexperience are hurting us now.

IF we can stay healthy to our key players next year, we will make some noise, a lot of it.
If there is a season next year.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #23
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

We all knew this was going to be a rough stretch, especially kicking off the season. We have a lot of youth on the OL and on our D front 7. Injuries have really hurt but that's just how the game goes. Despite injuries, youth, and no running game to speak of through the first 6 we sit at 2-4, and should be 3-3. Again, breaks. But if we can get to our bye at 4-4 with a shot to get healthy we can make a legit run at the division. Nobody (looking at you SD) has taken advantage of the opportunity to take charge of the division. The Chiefs have improved over last year it seems but are getting figured out and will regress to the mean. I think we have better talent, albeit raw, and coaching than the rest of the division. We are making mental mistakes, overcoming injuries to some of our biggest contributors and still managed to put together a decent offense which is, unfortunately, one dimensional. Knowshon showed some flashes on Sunday of a running game that might be. Time and experience for the OL will help in all respects but none more than the running game. McKid has put together competitive game plans (overall) and Wink has the D managing games and expectations.

Now Oakland would love nothing more than to **** on our parade. Can't overlook them and there's no team in the NFL that does worse on an east coast schedule than Denver. How that is going to play when we travel to London is anybody's guess. On paper we should win both but I'm not placing huge wagers on either.

2-4 or 4-4 at the bye is nothing to usually brag about. But given the hill we would have to climb to get there it is not unreasonable to look at week 9 as a new season, a rebirth. The back side of the schedule favors our talent. Getting experience under the belt with these tough clubs, coming together as a team and winning those games which we should on the backside very well could land us at 10-6 after a 4-4 run into the bye.

All of that said it just makes that Jets loss sting all the more. We had that f'er won. A 15 yd face mask and no call on PI was the right call there. Or offsetting PI. It is flat wrong to bail out/gift a win to a club that didn't deserve it the way the refs did.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
Boogerboots
Anytime now...

..just make the snow stop!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Larry Canada

To have a viable shot at the playoffs, we need to sweep the division and to win the division outright. There will likely be no wildcard coming from the west again this year.

If only Elvis were here now...
Boogerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

I disagree. The rebuild is about 2/3 done. You will know the rebuild is done when we are drafting for our back ups in waiting behind solid starters. This is Josh's stated plan. He wants his rookie draft picks to move into a starting roll in their late second or early third season generally speaking. It's one thing he has brought with him from NE and I love the concept. Let's see if they can pull it off. If so we will hear the words "Broncos" and "Dynasty" used in the same sentence often.