The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Is Josh playing with fire using Tebow?

Yesterday, I was pumped about how tough the team played, but this morning after having a night to stew on things, I felt the sore sting of the missed opportunity. I woke up wondering why it's only now that we're seeing Tebow integrated into the offense - and what changed in Josh's mind that this went from being "a really stupid idea" to being red zone money. And then I wonder, "can we keep this up all season where Tebow never throws the ball, but is used as a runner in red zone situations?" I would think that would put him in some danger because everyone will key on him. But the minute Tebow throws a touchdown, the quarterback controversey powderkeg will ignite. I can't help but think that Josh is playing with fire here.

I'm very much looking forward to his press conference this week.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Given our red zone game lately, I was thinking that Josh gave Tebow a couple of plays to get acclimated, knowing that he was going to give him a shot if it got down to being inside the ten. Then they did. Josh gave Tebow a shot. And it worked! Would I trust Tebow to move the team down the field the way Orton can? Nope.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I don't think that's necessarily true. Tebow will throw a touchdown pass sooner rather than later, and will still be used in spot duty. He's still young, still struggles reading defenses, and needs to get more aware of his pocket. This stuff will come in time.

But you don't bench Orton when he's playing as well as he is. That's just goofy.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Meck77

Dude I hate to over simplify your thread but tebow is a rookie and it's only week 6. Orton has been getting his job done. Meanwhile Jackasses like cutler have been stinking up the field for years. Tebow is going to get his.

Last edited by Meck77; 10-18-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Well you know...God appeared to Moses as a fire that did not consume. So in a way, yes. Tebow is that fire.

I like the head games Tebow presents to D-coordinators. Kid can pass, too and eventually a big pass play will result as teams think our tendency will be to just run Tebow on an option or up the middle.

Jump pass b****es.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

What will make Tebow effective as a thrower (hopefully) is the threat to run if he decides not to throw. Hopefully that run option will allow McD to simplify his pass reads so he pretty looks at one/two receivers and if covered runs.

It might be a rollout, but I'm curious to see how that now iconic jump pass play would work in the pros (I don't think it would work).

What seperates Tebow I think from Vick and Young (othe rmobile quarterbacks) is that Tebow looks comfortable running between the tackles. So he's not just a threat outside the tackle box and in open space, but a threat to get a few tough yards inside. In yesterday's game, I saw him shrug off a couple tackles, tackles I think other QB's wouldn't be strong enough to take on and break.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
...I wonder, "can we keep this up all season where Tebow never throws the ball, but is used as a runner in red zone situations?"
I think they need to add some wrinkles in order for it to be more consistently effective. Imagine if they add the thread of Tebow passing how much it could possibly open things up.

Also, I mostly disagree with the premise that using Tebow is "playing with fire". It's trying to win football games.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
CEH
Ring of Famer

I was waiting for some type of pass yesterday but I think right now the only pass he were to attempt would be a doule pass to Orton if the right defense is in place. Brad Smith basically did the same thing yesterday for NYJ with Sanchez staying in the game. Ran it from the shotgun .

What I found really odd was on the last drive 1st and 10 at the 35 Josh brought in Tebow to run it up the gut for 5 yards taking the momentum of the drive away it seemed. Strange time to insert Tebow unless they thought a specific play would be there.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Taco is kind of headed in another direction I believe.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Have your best 11 (9 on ST's apparently) on the field for the situation you're in, feelings be damned.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Nope, it's called playing your cards. You use some cards sometimes and not others. This is simply another card in his hand to play and make DC's do some extra work during game weeks.

The only way its a problem is if the OM thinks it is Uh, OH!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

mcdaniels said its a dumb idea to use tebow in that role. SAID.

hes a coach. they dont tell the truth. im about 90% sure he planned on using tebow in red zone packages at some point, and broncos needed this game. it worked great, and will continue to work great i imagine.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yesterday, I was pumped about how tough the team played, but this morning after having a night to stew on things, I felt the sore sting of the missed opportunity. I woke up wondering why it's only now that we're seeing Tebow integrated into the offense - and what changed in Josh's mind that this went from being "a really stupid idea" to being red zone money. And then I wonder, "can we keep this up all season where Tebow never throws the ball, but is used as a runner in red zone situations?" I would think that would put him in some danger because everyone will key on him. But the minute Tebow throws a touchdown, the quarterback controversey powderkeg will ignite. I can't help but think that Josh is playing with fire here.

I just kept waiting for them to actually fake the run and have Tim throw the ball (backwards) to Orton. Maybe that's a week or two away.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Next up will be the jump pass.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
It might be a rollout, but I'm curious to see how that now iconic jump pass play would work in the pros (I don't think it would work).
I remember Culpepper doing this on a few occasions when they got inside the 5 yard line. I honestly can't remember a single time it didn't work.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

TJ

the Broncos are 2-4 and in last place. At this point it doesn't matter if Kyle Orton gets his feelings hurt.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Tebow is the future. If he wasnt, Orton would have gotten more then a 1 year extension. I also dont believe McDaniels is going to start Tebow simply because of a single pass over Orton.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Josh blew his load this week. He was saving Tebow like he was saving Knowshon in the wildcat last year for the Patriots kind of thing. He wanted this game bad. So he pulled out all the stops: onside kick, Tebow in the wildbronco or whatever, wink blitzing more-often. I mean, every trick in the book he did it -- and we still lost.

Tebow was effective this week, but next? There is game film on him, won't be a suprise to anyone, and therefore less effective.

We should have won that game, but it sucks. We DO EVERYTHING, play at home in all orange, special plays, special packages, more emotion, and we still lost at home. Now that is disappointing.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
What I found really odd was on the last drive 1st and 10 at the 35 Josh brought in Tebow to run it up the gut for 5 yards taking the momentum of the drive away it seemed.
We've been averaging like negative 3 yards a carry and all of a sudden a 5 yard run took away momentum? I can name more than one RB on this team that would kill for a 5 yard run right about now.....
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
TJ

the Broncos are 2-4 and in last place. At this point it doesn't matter if Kyle Orton gets his feelings hurt.

Technically a 3 way tie for 2nd.

So...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I don't think Josh ever thought it was "a really stupid idea"; rather I think he didn't want to give opposing teams any inkling to even plan for such a scenario. If we're going to do it, then I want to see more of it, and as was mentioned earlier, eventually he will have to pass out of that set to make his appearances more effective.

His running doesn't concern me any more than any other QB doing it, since if Tebow was actually starting, his running would be included in the playbook anyway. And regardless if he throws touchdowns, let's remember that these are very specific, customized plays he's running. He's not running an entire offense and making snap decisions up and down the field. So to answer the original question, no, I don't think we're playing with fire.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Josh blew his load this week. He was saving Tebow like he was saving Knowshon in the wildcat last year for the Patriots kind of thing. He wanted this game bad. So he pulled out all the stops: onside kick, Tebow in the wildbronco or whatever, wink blitzing more-often. I mean, every trick in the book he did it -- and we still lost.

Tebow was effective this week, but next? There is game film on him, won't be a suprise to anyone, and therefore less effective.

We should have won that game, but it sucks. We DO EVERYTHING, play at home in all orange, special plays, special packages, more emotion, and we still lost at home. Now that is disappointing.
So then we should just cut Tebow, and keep playing Orton, since no one has film on him.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I am assuming that because the Jets face the Dolphins twice a year that Josh felt comfortable in putting in the WildJesus as he knows how the Jets try to defend formations like that.

Same reason we only saw a lot of WildHoreses against the Pats last year.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
If they wanted film on what he does, they can go back to his college career. This game didn't ruin his chances of succeeding.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We've been averaging like negative 3 yards a carry and all of a sudden a 5 yard run took away momentum? I can name more than one RB on this team that would kill for a 5 yard run right about now.....
It was two runs up the gut for 5 yards total. Sorry but that is not creative play calling with the game in doubt and played right into the JETs strength for 3rd and 5

Do something different with Tebow. and where did 145 yards rushing come from if we were averaging negative yard. Slowshown just ripped off a 14 yard run to start the drive.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote