The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default jets/broncos 41 years ago

New entry on my sports blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/ - copy below.

=====================

As I am excited about going to the Broncos/Jets game tomorrow I think back to one of the most memorable Broncos/Jets games played in Denver - September 21, 1969.

It was my 2nd year of having Bronco season tickets. I was 13 years old, sitting in the South Stands for the game. The Broncos had won handily over the Patriots in the first game that season (35-7), but the Jets would be a much stiffer test. Joe Namath's team was coming off a stunning Super Bowl winning season, and the Jets had easily defeated the Bills 33-19 in their opener. This Bronco/Jets game in week 2 of the AFL season was to be televised across the country on NBC, one of the first ever national games featuring the lowly Broncos. The draw of course was Broadway Joe and the Jets, not the Broncos.

This game featured 3 memorable plays:

1. The Hit - Dave Costa's helmet to the gut hit on Joe Namath (pictured above) is one of the best sports photographs ever and captures what AFL football was like in the late 60's. No doubt Costa would be suspended for weeks if he made such a hit in the sanitized NFL of 2010 - back in 1969 there were no such restrictions. The grizzly old vet Costa had a clear shot at Namath and he took full advantage of it.

2. The Catch - The Broncos had quickly fallen behind the Jets 13-0 after the 1st quarter and it looked like it would be a long day for the home team. Floyd Little scored to make it 13-7, then later in the quarter Mike Haffner made one of the greatest catches in Bronco history to give Denver a 14-13 lead. Haffner was wide open in the end zone, but Bronco quarterback Pete Liske overthrew him. Haffner dived and caught the ball with his fingertips in the back of the South end zone. I wish I had an old video clip to show you how great a catch this was. Haffner's catch made all the football highlights shows that week, including a showing on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

3. The Perfect Punt - This one comes from the Jets. With New York backed up to its 1 yard line Steve O'Neill pulled off the greatest punt in AFL/NFL history. I was sitting in the South Stands watching the punt come towards me from the shadow of the North goal posts. The punt came off O'Neill's leg like a low rocket. Not much height - just a line drive. Bronco returner Billy Thompson misjudged the ball and jumped up trying to catch it, but it sailed over Thompson's head. When it hit the ground the ball rolled and rolled and rolled before resting on the Broncos 1 yard line - a 98 yard punt! To this day that punt has never been equaled, and what made it more amazing was that it went from the 1 yard line to the other 1 yard line. Truly the perfect punt!

More than these three plays, the best thrill of the day was watching the Broncos upset the Jets 21-19 on a national stage. For one day the Broncos upset was the talk of the pro football world.

Would the 2-0 Broncos finally be contenders? It was not to be, as Denver went on to a disappointing 5-8-1 season, while the Jets again made the playoffs with a 10 win 4 loss record.

Tomorrow the injury plagued Broncos are again the underdogs with the Jets coming to town. New York is rated the 2nd best team in the NFL by Sports Illustrated and ESPN coming into the game, very much like that powerhouse Jets team of the late 60's. Will the Broncos win? I don't know, but one thing I have learned over the years is never count the Broncos out at home. Maybe, just maybe, like that Denver team of the late 60's, the Broncos have a Mile Hi surprise waiting for the visitors from New York!
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Excellent read! Thanks for posting!
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

One of my greatest memories also. In the old shaw heights neighborhood everyone had they're radio on and you could here the game where ever you went. I still swear to this day when a cheer went up from the stadium it was heard all over the city.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
One of my greatest memories also. In the old shaw heights neighborhood everyone had they're radio on and you could here the game where ever you went. I still swear to this day when a cheer went up from the stadium it was heard all over the city.

Well, when you walk/drive through the "old Shaw Heights" neighborhood these days on a sunday when the Broncos are out of town you can hear my "orange" horn every time the Broncos score.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/813...224CBCB3E8B510
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

On another board someone posted a link to the old 69 Bronco highlights including the Haffner catch - great memories:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/151821/tea...denver-broncos
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Bronco Yoda

Great mojo thread!

Go Broncos!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Well, when you walk/drive through the "old Shaw Heights" neighborhood these days on a sunday when the Broncos are out of town you can hear my "orange" horn every time the Broncos score.
We lived on Ithaca (spelling?) Do you know that street?
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Great stuff always love hearing it from an old school fan.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
uplink
Ring of Famer

thanks, I enjoyed reading the articles and watching the video in this thread. Looks like the broncos had some good recievers in '69 till they got hurt. Just think Bill Walsh was an upstart QB coach on the sideline during those 2 games vs the Bengals.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote