The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Jackson/Mankins to report...

Could be old news, but didn't see the thread. Merge if there is one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...gland-patriots

ESPNís Chris Mortensen is reporting that New England Patriots offensive lineman Logan Mankins will end his holdout and report to the team upon recommendation from the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA).

Mankins is expected to show up sometime between now and November 16th.

Fellow holdout, San Diego Chargers offensive lineman Marcus McNeill reported to his team a few weeks back, and is expected to make his first start of the 2010 season this Sunday as the Chargers head to St. Louis to face the Rams.

Mankins is one of two current holdouts who have refused to sign the restricted free agent tenders given by their respective team.

The other holdout, San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, is expected to return to his team by October 31st. Jackson will need to return three weeks earlier due to a three game suspension he must still serve.

Mankins, Jackson and McNeill were among the players caught up in the uncapped year that moved unrestricted free agency from four years to six years. Under the restricted free agent rules, the teams were able to keep the players from being contacted by other teams for new contracts. All three players refused to sign their restricted free agent tenders prior to the season, which is a requirement before they can report to the team.
How do you feel about the Logan Mankins situation?
He made the right decision by holding out. He made the wrong decision and it cost him a ton of money. Who cares? The Patriots don't need him! I just hope he ends up on my favorite team in 2011! Submit Vote vote to see results

By reporting by November 16th, Mankins will fulfill the requirement to become an unrestricted free agent in 2011, assuming that he and the Patriots do not come to a long term contract agreement in the meantime.

When he reports, Mankins will be playing under the one-year, $3.26 million contract tender that he has been declining since the end of the 2009 season.

"There is no way that I'm signing that thing," Mankins had told ESPN in June.

While Mankins will eventually ďsign that thing,Ē he will likely do so at the latest possible date as an act of defiance against a Patriots organization that he has verbally slandered many times this offseason.

This is an ugly situation, so donít expect to see Mankins back in a Patriots uniform in 2011.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

As much as I loathe nut-puncher boy, i think he could help at Guard in Dove Valley.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Is this confirmed? I'm looking at ESPN and I see nothing of the sort...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

ESPN.com says they've both been "advised to" report.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
ESPN.com says they've both been "advised to" report.
Mortensen was just on saying that they're both expected to report, due to the NFLPA recommendation.

Doesn't mean they will, or that they'll play... but it sounds pretty solid.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

dont they have to sign to be traded?
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
As much as I loathe nut-puncher boy, i think he could help at Guard in Dove Valley.
I don't buy Harris as a long term answer at RT because of the injury issues, so I'd love to bring in Mankins at LG with Beadles playing RT. A line of Clady-Mankins-Walton-Kuper-Beadles looks pretty good to me long term.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I would be very happy to have Mankins here.

Won't happen, but if it did I'd be thrilled.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't buy Harris as a long term answer at RT because of the injury issues, so I'd love to bring in Mankins at LG with Beadles playing RT. A line of Clady-Mankins-Walton-Kuper-Beadles looks pretty good to me long term.
Yea, I'm no OL expert... but I've yet to see anything from his play in the past two years to really make me believe he's above average, either. Not sure if he was better suited in a zone system, or what.

But, he's not a real solution. He's hurt more than he's healthy, it feels like.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, I'm no OL expert... but I've yet to see anything from his play in the past two years to really make me believe he's above average, either. Not sure if he was better suited in a zone system, or what.

But, he's not a real solution. He's hurt more than he's healthy, it feels like.
Popps are you for real ? last year when we went on that winning streak And Cbuck was ripping off 20 and 30 yard gains in Kupers and Harris hole must of really bumbed you out .

You people that put your feet in you mouth should use mint savers.....
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
This. If you are going to bring in the players from NE, McD, let's bring in the good ones.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Mortensen was just on saying that they're both expected to report, due to the NFLPA recommendation.

Doesn't mean they will, or that they'll play... but it sounds pretty solid.
Is it possible the NFLPA recommendations for these players to report and the fact the Broncos were very close to contract with Champ but backed away is revealing where both sides really think 2011 is headed. Assuming no 2011, Champ would be somewhat of an increased risk (two years older) to still be at the same level he is now. The conservative NE approach is to let these aging veterans walk without paying a risky big dollar contract at the end of the career. On the whole, NE hasn't really suffered from this philosophy - I am not saying there aren't exceptions.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
Popps are you for real ? last year when we went on that winning streak And Cbuck was ripping off 20 and 30 yard gains in Kupers and Harris hole must of really bumbed you out .
"Bumbed?"

Again, let's learn to read and write the language properly before we start condescending to people.

As for Harris, he's looked sloppy for a long time, now... and that's when he's healthy enough to play. (Which is rare.)

As for Kuper, at some point... I think we have to start asking whether or not he's suited for this offense, either. I'm not watching film of these guys every day, but I know they're not opening holes on the right side.

Until this line starts doing its job in the running game, anyone not named Clady should be under a microscope.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
"Bumbed?"

Again, let's learn to read and write the language properly before we start condescending to people.

As for Harris, he's looked sloppy for a long time, now... and that's when he's healthy enough to play. (Which is rare.)

As for Kuper, at some point... I think we have to start asking whether or not he's suited for this offense, either. I'm not watching film of these guys every day, but I know they're not opening holes on the right side.

Until this line starts doing its job in the running game, anyone not named Clady should be under a microscope.
Wow Kuper not suited. Kuper being a root cause would send up red flags all over Dove Valley about whether McX can evaluate talent for their scheme.

I sure hope Kuper fits because if he doesn't we have bigger issues higher up than the OLine.

Josh said this week we had problems with the running game coming out of camp. Not sure if he mainly meant by injury or personel. Not good either way because more times than not you have to dance with who brung ya and trying to fix the line issues during the season is very hard to do if it's related to talent or techique. Just not enough hours in the day to work on fundametal
issues
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Wow Kuper not suited. Kuper being a root cause would send up red flags all over Dove Valley about whether McX can evaluate talent for their scheme.

I sure hope Kuper fits because if he doesn't we have bigger issues higher up than the OLine.

Josh said this week we had problems with the running game coming out of camp. Not sure if he mainly meant by injury or personel. Not good either way because more times than not you have to dance with who brung ya and trying to fix the line issues during the season is very hard to do if it's related to talent or techique. Just not enough hours in the day to work on fundametal
issues

Yea, and don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to create some kind of a Kuper controversy. I'm just saying that we look really, really bad up front right now, and the only guy that gets a free pass is Clady. The rookies also get a bit of a pass because they're rookies.

Harris and Kuper should be performing at a high level in both phases at this point.

Are they?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Huh? He was a Shanny draft pick.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Huh? He was a Shanny draft pick.
I'd assume maybe he's referring to the fact that he was just recently extended.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yea, and don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to create some kind of a Kuper controversy. I'm just saying that we look really, really bad up front right now, and the only guy that gets a free pass is Clady. The rookies also get a bit of a pass because they're rookies.

Harris and Kuper should be performing at a high level in both phases at this point.

Are they?
Harris is two games back from almost a year long injury. Kuper I can't tell if he is the problem but my guess would be he isn't a root problem. The root my be the LG being non existent and the injuries plus we aren't sure just how well the rookie center is playing.

I think the bye week might tells us alot but for the next 3 games they just need to win a MFing game. The NYJ game is pretty critical since they didn't win in JAX it's an AFC opponent not on everyone else's schedule. KC gets BUF.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
"Bumbed?"

Clady hasn't been above reproach so far this off-season. He's obviously still working back from the injury.

Kuper meanwhile has been the most reliable interior OL we've got and probably the most reliable OL as a whole. Harris and Clady are good most of the time but both show signs of wearing down under pressure and giving up a big play on prolonged drives. Kuper's biggest problem right now is playing next to a very inexperienced center.

The center is the lynch pin to the offensive line and right now ours is floundering. He's showing signs of improvement overall but he's up and down week to week. Until he locks it down the rest of the OL will struggle around him. That will only hold more true the longer we play musical chairs at LG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote