The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default When Pigs Fly

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-de...ng-one-key-guy
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Alex would Help but..................
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Not a move the coach will make.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Gibbs, for you Johnny-come-very-lately Broncos fans, was the architect of the Broncos' running game in the late 1990s that ran roughshod over the NFL. He was a Broncos assistant for 13 seasons. When he and Mike Shanahan had a falling out, Gibbs left and worked in a couple other NFL cities. Everywhere he ended up, that team’s running game revved up in a big way.

Truth be spoken
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

That would be a consideration if Josh wanted a ZBS but he dumped that when we had the players for it in favor of the power blocking scheme before we had the players to play it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

It ain't gonna happen, but I would love to eat some crow if it did.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Clancy's got it on lock.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That would be a consideration if Josh wanted a ZBS but he dumped that when we had the players for it in favor of the power blocking scheme before we had the players to play it.
3 out of our 5 fit ZBS and were drafted by Shanahan. Walton has shown mobility. Also, our LG situation is anything but decided. We could go to ZBS if we wanted to.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
3 out of our 5 fit ZBS and were drafted by Shanahan. Walton has shown mobility. Also, our LG situation is anything but decided. We could go to ZBS if we wanted to.
We sure as hell could run the ball with the ZBS and we sure as hell can't run the ball with whatever we have now but Josh doesn't want it so case closed.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

I've been thinking this all season. I believe Alex Gibbs could do alot of positive things with this oline.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
You just put your finger on the problem. How many highly ranked NFL running teams that play a power blocking scheme do you suppose can say that? I would bet, none. My point is, this line was constructed to play the ZBS and most of the players we have in there are now playing outside the scheme they know success in, and the one's that aren't are rookies or UDFA guys just now getting PT. We don't have the players for that scheme IMO but even if athletically we did, moving from one system to another can't be easy. Mix in injuries to both the line and the backs...the result is ugly.

Josh can impress me with a high pick next year going for a sledgehammer interior line guy who can roadgrade people.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

hasn't Gibbs quit on every team he has played for said he was going to retire only to come back and do the same thing again?
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Gibbs would be brilliant as a o-line coach, but it would require agreement from Josh to abandon power rushing. That's about as likely as finding out that Saddam Hussein is still alive, and decided to become Jewish.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

We run zone alot actually. What we need is blocking period. Don't care what you call it, just make a hole.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's hard to read Marc Knudson articles because he spends half of his pen time insulting his readers.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
We run zone alot actually. What we need is blocking period. Don't care what you call it, just make a hole.
that is kind of my Beef with MCD He has stated over and over that his team will play smart . well since Dennison left Our Oline has went to hell they look like basket cases and I love the talent except the LG . he should turn in his gear. I would rather go with the Rookie.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Also, if Nolan and McDaniels couldn't co-exist in the same lockerroom, I sure as hell don't have hope for McDaniels and Alex Gibbs being able to do so. And maybe Mark might have noticed that Josh shipped off all of the zone blocking style defenders, and eschewed the entire scheme for a more man-on-man style that better fits the spread option. There's absolutely no way in hell Josh is going to reverse course on that and go back to the ZBS. Would the ZBS even work with the a spread option? It would be VERY confusing.

This article is irritating. He spends half of it talking down to "johnny come lately" Broncos fans, and he advocates this far-fetched idea that runs entirely contrary to what Josh has established.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

NO THANKS

Gibbs had his glory years and is on the verge of 70. Let me the man sip on a few brewskies on a boat somehwere. The last thing you want is to get all back and forth with what you are doing in your plan. McD wants a power rush game and don't go getting wish washy about it. Just keep working on it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Also, if Nolan and McDaniels couldn't co-exist in the same lockerroom, I sure as hell don't have hope for McDaniels and Alex Gibbs being able to do so. And maybe Mark might have noticed that Josh shipped off all of the zone blocking style defenders, and eschewed the entire scheme for a more man-on-man style that better fits the spread option. There's absolutely no way in hell Josh is going to reverse course on that and go back to the ZBS. Would the ZBS even work with the a spread option? It would be VERY confusing.

This article is irritating. He spends half of it talking down to "johnny come lately" Broncos fans, and he advocates this far-fetched idea that runs entirely contrary to what Josh has established.
Zone block can work with with spread style attack, there are number of colleges that use it as their primary method of running the ball. ZBS means that when linemen move they block defenders in their "zone" to create a double team at the point of attack. Power block is when the linemen have specific assignment to block.

BTW we don't run a spread option, that would infer that QB is primary runner and would give the ball up to the running back based what the DE does on given play.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Until he quits again.

Alex Gibbs is the biggest flaker in the NFL. What happens when he quits mid-season? He just quit on Carroll right before the season started.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #21
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
Its not different than this message board many times...and I'm just as guilty as the next guy.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineBronco View Post
hasn't Gibbs quit on every team he has played for said he was going to retire only to come back and do the same thing again?
He's the Brett Favre of the coaching world.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
And maybe Mark might have noticed that Josh shipped off all of the zone blocking style defenders, and eschewed the entire scheme for a more man-on-man style that better fits the spread option.
Zone blocking defenders? Spread option? Taco, what are you talking about?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Zone blocking defenders? Spread option? Taco, what are you talking about?
Yeah, not defenders... Linemen... This no sleep thing is affecting me.

Spread option is right though. I've been reading a lot about Urban Meyer lately, and the fact that Josh went down to visit and learn the offense, and then incorporated it and made it his own. The option is the presnap read. Of all the articles I've read, I think this one summarizes it the best:
http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=217
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yeah, not defenders... Linemen... This no sleep thing is affecting me.

Spread option is right though. I've been reading a lot about Urban Meyer lately, and the fact that Josh went down to visit and learn the offense, and then incorporated it and made it his own. The option is the presnap read. Of all the articles I've read, I think this one summarizes it the best:
http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=217
First of all, I'm sorry you're tired.

Secondly, I think you're misunderstanding that article and if you heard the interview with McDaniels, he more clearly explained this. Yes, they absolutely borrowed some of the passing concepts from Meyer. The routes and ways to attack coverage, etc. However McDaniels didn't adopt the spread offense in anyway. The spread option is a read option with option to pass or keep depending on how the line plays and what the QB reads. We don't do that. We have multiple wide receivers, and so are "spread out" sometimes, but that is something that is not spread option specific, or even any offense specific. Lots of offenses use multiple WR combinations and give them the ability (actually expect them to) adjust their routes based on the coverage they see. Miami and Tennessee with Young have used some of a true spread option, but not us, at least not since last year against the Cowboys. The verbiage is still Erhardt - Perkins, and while we throw the ball way more than a traditional EP offense, (and this year we attack down field more often) it's still an EP offense at heart. Really the lines between "this offense and that" are extremely blurry anymore since there is nothing stopping any team in any offense from running any play. I remember Shanahan always jokes that no one knew what the west coast offense was anymore.

Also, there is nothing about a spread option that mandates man blocking. Most spread teams employ some variation of a zone stretch play. In fact most teams have some zone stretch in their playbook. I believe Gibbs could help, but not because a zone blocking scheme would be better, but more because I think our OL coaching sucks and Gibbs is a good coach. Just my opinion.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote