The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Klis: Bowlen & Ellis forced the end of negotiations with Champ, not McDaniels or Xanders

The 11th-hour decision to yank Bailey from his future was not made by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders.

This decision came from above. According to NFL sources close to these negotiations, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis made the call Tuesday to suspend talks until after the season.

Xanders was deep into negotiations with Bailey's agent Jack Reale on a four- year extension that would have averaged more than $10 million a season,

Negotiations were "85 percent done," a source said, when the Broncos decided to stop talking. Apparently, Bowlen and Ellis believe the league's possible shutdown is real enough to scuttle a contract that would allocate a guaranteed expenditure against revenue uncertainty.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

*cough* *cough*

looks like someone at the Post agrees with my post from last week's Champ thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=94267&page=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If this is true, then this is very telling about how the labor negotiations are going. Everyone that needed to be re-signed during the offseason was dealt with quickly (when labor negotiations perhaps looked good to Bowlen), but now he's saying hold off. I'm assuming something has happened in the last month or two that leads him to believe the odds of a lockout happening just swung that way.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
If Champ doesn't get resigned I will probably just give up on following the Broncos until McDaniels gets fired.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Par for the course, Josina gives half the story, and never bothers to look for the other half.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
*cough* *cough*

looks like someone at the Post agrees with my post from last week's Champ thread:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the NFLPA has filed suit against the NFL for colluding to low ball contracts last year. I think the timing of that probably made Pat Bowlen say okay, we'll pull back on all negotiations if that is the way the players want to play this out. I don't think the Broncos were involved in it (Kuper, Doom, neg. with Champ) but I think Champ is a victim of Pat Bowlen sticking with the other owners and cutting off all negotiations.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
*cough* *cough*

the news that the NFLPA possibly decertifying was probably the thing that happened. Owners wouldn't be able to lock out the players if they decertify.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Pat still trying to **** this franchise up
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

it was probably a short phone call

"I am gutless, drunk and broke...hold off"
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I imagine if a new CBA is agreed upon and the Broncos offer Champ the same contract, Champ will turn it down. He didn't seem too happy that the contract got yanked at the Nth hour.

Broncos should have never restarted talks with Champ Bailey on an extension if the Broncos were worried about a lockout. This cluster**** falls on Ellis, who once again shows why has absolutely no business being involved in football operations.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I can't even imagine what would happen if they decide to decertify. I've read a few articles about it and none seem to have a happy ending for anyone.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I imagine if a new CBA is agreed upon and the Broncos offer Champ the same contract, Champ will turn it down. He didn't seem too happy that the contract got yanked at the Nth hour.

Broncos should have never restarted talks with Champ Bailey on an extension if the Broncos were worried about a lockout. This cluster**** falls on Ellis, who once again shows why has absolutely no business being involved in football operations.
The problem with that theory is that AFTER they restarted talks with Champ, something could have happened behind the scenes that made the Bowlen think twice about contract negotiations because things went sour on the new CBA.

There is no logical reason to start negotiations if you already knew things were going sour. My suspicion is merely that things looked on an even keel prior to resuming negotiations wiith Champ and at some point during the negotiations, something happened that makes the owners think there is going to be a lockout.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Par for the course, Josina gives half the story, and never bothers to look for the other half.
Josina is simply the venue for anything an agent wants to "leak" to the public. She isn't a journalist, she's a ventriloquist.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Josina is simply the venue for anything an agent wants to "leak" to the public. She isn't a journalist, she's a ventriloquist.
Complete with a hand up her ass.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
I can't even imagine what would happen if they decide to decertify. I've read a few articles about it and none seem to have a happy ending for anyone.
As far as fans go, I'll take them decertifying over either a lockout or a strike any day. It means there will be football in 2011. They did this before (1989 I think?) and reorganized again in 1993(?).

We have 2 good and 2 bad scenarios for playing next year.

1. Lockout
2. Strike

1. Decertify
2. New CBA

I'd like for them to get a new CBA done, but the next best option is going to be the union going buh bye for a few years.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Wow. Broncos FO being unprofessional. Who woulda thought?
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
Pat still trying to **** this franchise up
We already have an injured Dumervil and Kuper on decent guaranteed money for next season regardless of whether Bowlen earns a dime in ticket sales. WTF would he give Champ a chunk of change too when he has no idea if revenue is guaranteed or not You the average fan are not going to pay their salary if you cant watch them play.

Smart move IMO because at the end of the day we can and will tag him if we are playing next year and a new contract is not signed and sealed.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Smart move IMO because at the end of the day we can and will tag him if we are playing next year and a new contract is not signed and sealed.
Nobody knows that yet.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
What is with the obsession on this board with her anyway? Take this particular example; she broke the news, kept it very basic and avoided certainty when it wasn't there by adding that maybe fans should be concerned...that's all...I can't find a single thing wrong with how she used twitter here...which is not meant for releasing an entire story anyway but just snippets at a time. She also GOT THE STORY in the first place when nobody else had it yet. Yet you're now complaining she didn't tell you things she didn't apparently yet know? Why? Isn't the whole point of twitter to basically provide streaming information rather than complete "stories" in one bite?

I can almost not read a thread in this place now without some constant whining about this woman and her reporting. A few morons are even calling her a whore...WTF? Some of you apparently weren't taught manners I get that but what on earth provokes a bizzare response like that?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Another example...HTF are you coming up with this ****? It's frankly, pretty stupid.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We already have an injured Dumervil and Kuper on decent guaranteed money for next season regardless of whether Bowlen earns a dime in ticket sales. WTF would he give Champ a chunk of change too when he has no idea if revenue is guaranteed or not You the average fan are not going to pay their salary if you cant watch them play.

Judging from the article, they don't want to pay Champ in a lockout. Fine.

So I have a question, is it possible they are going to let him walk since they won't pay him in a year where there is no football? If you tag him then you will have to pay him...correct? Does this mean the Franchinse Tag is off the table?

This CBA stuff is confusing and what is more confusing is this negotiation and then the CEO and COO yanking the offer at the Nth hour.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
So I have a question, is it possible they are going to let him walk since they won't pay him in a year where there is no football? If you tag him then you will have to pay him...correct? Does this mean the Franchinse Tag is off the table?
IF there is a franchise tag, they will most certainly tag him. However, the issue is this: there is no guarantee that there will be a franchise or transition-type tag system in place in whatever new CBA they come up with.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Made it way too easy for you...
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
This CBA stuff is confusing and what is more confusing is this negotiation and then the CEO and COO yanking the offer at the Nth hour.
That is odd. They didn't think about the CBA situation until now?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I knew it.

Tebow is playing corner next year, book it!
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
What is with the obsession on this board with her anyway? Take this particular example; she broke the news, kept it very basic and avoided certainty when it wasn't there by adding that maybe fans should be concerned...that's all...I can't find a single thing wrong with how she used twitter here...which is not meant for releasing an entire story anyway but just snippets at a time. She also GOT THE STORY in the first place when nobody else had it yet. Yet you're now complaining she didn't tell you things she didn't apparently yet know? Why? Isn't the whole point of twitter to basically provide streaming information rather than complete "stories" in one bite?

I can almost not read a thread in this place now without some constant whining about this woman and her reporting. A few morons are even calling her a whore...WTF? Some of you apparently weren't taught manners I get that but what on earth provokes a bizzare response like that?
Calm yourself.

She conceivably went to journalism school. IN journalism school they teach you that you're to find both sides of a story. She didn't even attempt to find more to the story. Broke the news that negotiations have been put off, Champ is unhappy and... and... and... that's it.

Twitter is fine as you describe it when reporters continue to look into more details of a story. Josina rested on the story's weak laurels and called it a day instead of DOING HER JOB.

Unless her job is to rile up people in Denver, which it appears to be since if she ain't talking ****, she ain't "reporting" anything.