The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default We are who we thought we were

This game went pretty much as expected and reinforces where we are in my mind. We're in year two of a rebuilding process. We were outclassed on the field by a better football team today. I think next year is the year to really start considering us as a strong playoff contender. Things that we lack now that we pick up next year are:

--The young O-line gels and is able to start getting us 4 YPC. We're just not there yet.
--Dumervil comes back. Ayers and Doom are going to make a very nice tandem
--More experience in Wink's defensive system. Continuity goes a long ways towards success.
--Demarius and Decker can start to bring their talents to the field after a year of learning.
--We pick up some defensive line help in the draft, maybe a stud ILB.

I'm not saying this year is a wash by any means. SD is down nd KC is going to lose at least 6 more games. If we win 5 of our division games we could take the West. however, the game vs. Bmore showed us what a playoff team looks like, and that we are a team not quite there yet.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
1. Orton had another solid effort.
2. The running game wasn't a complete, utter abject failure of biblical proportions like last week. It was only a regular abject failure. Baby steps.
3. All three starting WR's kept showing up...even against a good cover team.
4. DJ had another excellent game. 15 tackles and a couple stuffs. Monster.
5. Hunter wasn't bad this game.
6. Special Teams coverage wasn't as bad...Woodyard with some good tackles.
7. Even though he was up and down, Cox had some pass breakups. He did get toasted several times, but most would when they have to cover for 6 seconds.

On the whole, it was pretty bad, though. Maybe we can do a little better at home against the Jets.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
This game went pretty much as expected and reinforces where we are in my mind. We're in year two of a rebuilding process. We were outclassed on the field by a better football team today. I think next year is the year to really start considering us as a strong playoff contender. Things that we lack now that we pick up next year are:

--The young O-line gels and is able to start getting us 4 YPC. We're just not there yet.
--Dumervil comes back. Ayers and Doom are going to make a very nice tandem
--More experience in Wink's defensive system. Continuity goes a long ways towards success.
--Demarius and Decker can start to bring their talents to the field after a year of learning.
--We pick up some defensive line help in the draft, maybe a stud ILB.

I'm not saying this year is a wash by any means. SD is down nd KC is going to lose at least 6 more games. If we win 5 of our division games we could take the West. however, the game vs. Bmore showed us what a playoff team looks like, and that we are a team not quite there yet.
Anybody could lose 6 more games..
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

with the exception of Orton, Lloyd, Dawkins, Champ, and DJ, we are
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
BroncoBacker
Rookie

Soft is an understatement! Unfortunately, each of the players you named are not exactly YOUNG talent. So by the time we rebuild, those guys will be on the downside. Guys like Champ and Dawkins might even be in the announcers booth!
BroncoBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBacker View Post
Soft is an understatement! Unfortunately, each of the players you named are not exactly YOUNG talent. So by the time we rebuild, those guys will be on the downside. Guys like Champ and Dawkins might even be in the announcers booth!
DJ is only 28 years old. He's got another good 4-5 years left in the tank.

We've got some good young talent on this team. Clady and Harris are pretty young, as is Kuper. Thomas and Royal are very young, as is Moreno (obviously the jury is still out on him). IMO, the rookie linemen will eventually be decent...Beadles has already shown some stuff. We still have to add some more young talent ofcourse...probably another 3-4 young quality starters, but we've got some good youngsters already.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
DJ is only 28 years old. He's got another good 4-5 years left in the tank.
When DJ got trucked by Flacco I was pretty embarrassed for him... But that epic hit on 3rd and goal easily made up for it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Bmore showed us what a playoff team looks like, and that we are a team not quite there yet.
Agree. Baltimore might be the best team in the league.

They didn't even need to use Boldin today and they tore us up.

They're just too deep and too balanced for most teams. I'm hoping we can take something away from this win, rather than having it set us back like it did last season.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, this team desperately needs to finish strong this season.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
When DJ got trucked by Flacco I was pretty embarrassed for him... But that epic hit on 3rd and goal easily made up for it.
He was only executing the game plan, bro. Wink was stressing all week for them to allow Flacco to get his ego going so that he could try it again......and have his jaw broken.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Bronco_Fan_27

man i wish dj could get another shot at flacco.. im sure he wouldnt let that happen again
Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Agree. Baltimore might be the best team in the league.

They didn't even need to use Boldin today and they tore us up.

They're just too deep and too balanced for most teams. I'm hoping we can take something away from this win, rather than having it set us back like it did last season.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, this team desperately needs to finish strong this season.

That's about where my expectations are for the year, I am hoping we get into the playoffs like most Bronco fans. However, we really need to string together some wins and finish the season strong. Next week is going to be another big test.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

8-8
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm very concerned about the Jets game. We will HAVE to string together some kind of halfway decent run game. We won't be able to compete throwing 50 passes. If you try that against those two corners (Revis should be back, I think, although not 100%), they WILL intercept some passes, or sit on some routes. They've got alot of talent in that secondary and they won't stand to be dicked to death with short passes. They'll rough up our guys at the line (Royal in the slot will have to come up big, and they'll have to motion the other guys around alot to shake off the jams), while bringing the heat to disrupt the timing.

I know people hate them, but we're going to have to heavily rely on the screen passes to give the Jets a reason not to be so aggressive. It will be difficult to score points in this game. The Jets are balanced on offense, too, its not like the Titans where we're not really afraid of Young throwing on us. These guys can pass and run. It will be a real test.. We will have to have a superior effort in this game.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Well IMO the Ravens are one of the best teams in the AFC. So today wasn't a shocker. I see us going 6-5 down the stretch. God I hope I'm way off here. I will gladly eat some crow.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Ah, some nice football discussion without folks sniping at each other. Good times!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Our rushing game after 5 weeks:

Week 1, at Jacksonville: 25 rushes for 89 yards (3.6 YPC), 1 tackle for loss
Week 2, vs. Seattle: 38 rushes for 65 yards (1.7 YPC), 4 tackles for loss
Week 3, vs. Indianapolis: 18 rushes for 47 yards (2.6 YPC), 1 tackle for loss
Week 4, at Tennessee: 20 rushes for 19 yards (1.0 YPC), 5 tackles for loss
Week 5, at Baltimore: 13 rushes for 39 yards (3.0 YPC), 4 tackles for loss

Makes Kyle Orton's performance all the more amazing, IMO. He's passing for a kajillion yards with no run support, and rarely turning over the ball. Imagine if teams had to honor our play-action...?

As JCMElway said in the original post, we're still in the thick of the AFC West, but the running game is historically bad right now.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
BroncoBacker
Rookie

A rushing game is all part of the scheme of the offensive genius of McDaniels! We don't need one...we can lose with or without!
BroncoBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm very concerned about the Jets game. We will HAVE to string together some kind of halfway decent run game. We won't be able to compete throwing 50 passes. If you try that against those two corners (Revis should be back, I think, although not 100%), they WILL intercept some passes, or sit on some routes. They've got alot of talent in that secondary and they won't stand to be dicked to death with short passes. They'll rough up our guys at the line (Royal in the slot will have to come up big, and they'll have to motion the other guys around alot to shake off the jams), while bringing the heat to disrupt the timing.

I know people hate them, but we're going to have to heavily rely on the screen passes to give the Jets a reason not to be so aggressive. It will be difficult to score points in this game. The Jets are balanced on offense, too, its not like the Titans where we're not really afraid of Young throwing on us. These guys can pass and run. It will be a real test.. We will have to have a superior effort in this game.
Could have used a couple of those today. I'm still not a Sanchez believer either (re: the Jets balanced attack)
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Our rushing game after 5 weeks:

Week 1, at Jacksonville: 25 rushes for 89 yards (3.6 YPC), 1 tackle for loss
Week 2, vs. Seattle: 38 rushes for 65 yards (1.7 YPC), 4 tackles for loss
Week 3, vs. Indianapolis: 18 rushes for 47 yards (2.6 YPC), 1 tackle for loss
Week 4, at Tennessee: 20 rushes for 19 yards (1.0 YPC), 5 tackles for loss
Week 5, at Baltimore: 13 rushes for 39 yards (3.0 YPC), 4 tackles for loss

Makes Kyle Orton's performance all the more amazing, IMO. He's passing for a kajillion yards with no run support, and rarely turning over the ball. Imagine if teams had to honor our play-action...?

As JCMElway said in the original post, we're still in the thick of the AFC West, but the running game is historically bad right now.
This is the stuff that really bothers me about the run game. We're getting worse in the number of negative plays in the run game. We're not just getting physically beaten at the line of scrimmage but not picking up run blitzes, stunts and twists along the front 7. That's as much about the inability of the coaching to bring the best out of the OL and prepare them during the week as it is about the execution along the interior.

Defenses have obviously spotted a problem there and until we can show otherwise, we're going to continue to see front 7s attack our interior all year long.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Can we let ourselves off the hook?
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #21
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's funny people freaking out about this one.

A Denver victory would have been a massive upset, yet some people are acting like the sky is falling because we lost on the road to one of the best teams in the NFL.

If we're getting our asses handed to us by the likes of Oakland and San Fran in a few weeks time, then it's time to start worrying. As it is we just need to focus on getting better and hoping we can somehow pull one out against the Jets along the way.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
It's funny people freaking out about this one.

A Denver victory would have been a massive upset, yet some people are acting like the sky is falling because we lost on the road to one of the best teams in the NFL.

If we're getting our asses handed to us by the likes of Oakland and San Fran in a few weeks time, then it's time to start worrying. As it is we just need to focus on getting better and hoping we can somehow pull one out against the Jets along the way.
My only problem with the loss is that we as much beat ourselves offensively as the Ravens beat us defensively.

Orton was moving the ball well and the running game was even getting some results. But we committed a ton of unneeded penalties, didn't pass protect well at all (related to the ton of penalties), and did not show the kind of aggressive play calling that helped us prevail over Tennessee last week.

The OL is a MAJOR issue right now and I don't think we can safely bet on Hochstein to be a cure all. Clady is even having issues. This team honestly could really use a by week but that isn't until week 9 and we've got a fairly tough road to travel until that point.

This is trial by fire for an OL that wasn't healthy all pre-season relying on a rookie starting center. Long term its probably the right move, I just can't help but think how much better we'd look in 2010 with Mawae at C and Mankins (in exchange for one of our two 2nd round picks) at LG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #23
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
My only problem with the loss is that we as much beat ourselves offensively as the Ravens beat us defensively.

Orton was moving the ball well and the running game was even getting some results. But we committed a ton of unneeded penalties, didn't pass protect well at all (related to the ton of penalties), and did not show the kind of aggressive play calling that helped us prevail over Tennessee last week.

The OL is a MAJOR issue right now and I don't think we can safely bet on Hochstein to be a cure all. Clady is even having issues. This team honestly could really use a by week but that isn't until week 9 and we've got a fairly tough road to travel until that point.

This is trial by fire for an OL that wasn't healthy all pre-season relying on a rookie starting center. Long term its probably the right move, I just can't help but think how much better we'd look in 2010 with Mawae at C and Mankins (in exchange for one of our two 2nd round picks) at LG.
I think a lot of difficult stuff is already done. We're a better defense but still missing Doom obviously as well as a difference maker like Ngata along the DL and the passing game has really taken off.

We definitely have huge issues along the OL as well as OL Coaching that need to be resolved though. I'm disapointed that we didn't bring in any quality veterans in the offseason to complete with our young guys in the interior. But like you said it should be straight forward to fix next year by signing/trading for a quality interior OL.

THAT as well as getting a good FB and RB depth. I'm not sure about the coaching though, I'm not convinced that our current RB/OL coaches are getting the best out of Clady/Harris/Kuper.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

One player (Doom) missing shouldn't destroy the ability of good defense. The problem remains we don't have any play makers in the front seven. You need one at every level to be a decent defense and more then one at each level makes you a great defense. And it not about using high draft picks on those guys, it about finding men that are just down right mean/nasty on the field.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
One player (Doom) missing shouldn't destroy the ability of good defense. The problem remains we don't have any play makers in the front seven. You need one at every level to be a decent defense and more then one at each level makes you a great defense. And it not about using high draft picks on those guys, it about finding men that are just down right mean/nasty on the field.
Really? 'Cause he had 17 sacks last season, many of which came in HUGE moments.

I think that's the definition of a "play maker in the front seven."