The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos' Orton on pace to break NFL passing yardage record

Broncos' Orton on pace to break NFL passing yardage record

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/08/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Dan Marino. Drew Brees. Kyle Orton.

What's that? Yes, a name does seem out of place.

When this NFL season ends, here may be the order to the grouping: Orton. Marino. Brees.

With 25 percent of the 2010 season finished, Orton not only is on pace to become the third quarterback in NFL history to pass for 5,000 yards, he's performing at a rate that would shatter Marino's 26-year-old single-season passing record.

"I haven't thought about it," said Orton, the Broncos' offensive leader. "Nope. You're not going to get me to talk about it."

He might have to start. Orton has passed for 1,419 yards through four games, or 321 ahead of where Marino was at the same point in his historic 1984 season.

Thanks in part to a Miami Dolphins receiving corps of Mark Duper, Mark Clayton and Nat Moore, Marino, who was then in his second NFL season, threw for 5,084 yards.

Marino was so prolific in 1984, not even the league's continued proliferation of the passing game pushed another quarterback to the 5,000-yard milestone until Brees got there with 5,069 yards 15 shy of Marino's record in 2008.

"Oh, yeah? Did Drew do it when they won the Super Bowl?" Orton said.

His question was rhetorical. The New Orleans Saints were 8-8 the year Brees joined Marino in the 5,000-yard circle. It wasn't until the Saints improved from 28th in rushing in 2008 to sixth in 2009 that the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Despite improving 5 percent in his completion percentage, Brees passed for nearly 700 fewer yards in 2009, when the Saints finished 16-3, including 3-0 in the postseason.

"I would definitely trade in passing yards for offensive balance, no question about it," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "You do have to give (Orton) credit for what he has done. He's really executed our offense, executed our game plan under difficult circumstances."

McDaniels was referring to the dark side of the Broncos' offense. While Orton and his versatile stable of receivers rank No. 1 in NFL passing yards, the Broncos also have the league's worst rushing game.

This doesn't figure to be an ideal week to demonstrate rushing progress. Starting tailback Knowshon Moreno is expected to miss his third game after suffering a setback with his hamstring injury Wednesday, and the Broncos will play Sunday in the hostile environment of Baltimore against the physical Ravens.

Then again, the running game has done a good job of staying out of Orton's way as he takes early pursuit of 5,000. Again, it was the year the Saints couldn't run the ball that Brees approached Marino's record.

"It's only four games!" receiver Eddie Royal said, laughing. "I don't think we care about any of that. The only record we care about is wins and losses."

Sure, it's early. The only quarterback who had surpassed Orton's four-game passing total was St. Louis' Kurt Warner, who threw for 1,557 yards at the quarter point in 2000. Warner finished with a relatively pedestrian 3,429 yards as he later missed five games because of injury.

When it comes to setting single-season records, playing 16 games is prerequisite No. 1.

Then it's having record-breaking ability. For Orton, a 5,000-yard season would follow his steady progression with the Chicago Bears he passed for more than 1,800 yards as a rookie and 2,900 in his second year as a starter. He then surpassed 3,800 yards last season in his first season with the Broncos, his third as an NFL starter.

As Orton continues to soar, his coach already has gone through a similar chase.

McDaniels was the offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots in 2007 when quarterback Tom Brady broke the single-season record with 50 touchdown passes and Randy Moss set a receiving mark with 23 touchdown catches.

The principles of that passing system have put Orton on pace for one of the NFL's most distinguished records 5,084.

"Josh obviously has been putting passing games together for a long time," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said. "He has expanded probably this year in some other things that he's doing that we've noticed, but they've got a complete passing attack, obviously."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16283873
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

While it is the one positive thing about our offense, it isn't condusive to winning championships. What I'm sure the bulk of "fans" who despise McDaniels, Orton, and/or Moreno will miss is the team goals first answer's given, like Orton sarcastically asking if Brees won the SB the year he accomplished it, and Eddie Royal saying the only record that they're worried about is wins and losses. And yet amazingly we still have clowns in here that think this ship is headed for the rocks
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"It's only four games!" receiver Eddie Royal said, laughing.

There's why I like Eddie Royal. Because he's not a complete f'n moron like Mike Klit.
steeledude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Orton won't be breaking any passing records when everything is said and done.
At the end, things will balance out...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Orton won't be breaking any passing records when everything is said and done.
At the end, things will balance out...
Good. I hope he doesn't.

I'd rather see balance. So would Coach McDaniels. So would Orton. So would Royal. That's what the article is about.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Champagne Powder
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There's nothing more I want to see this season than to see Orton break the NFL's all-time single season passing yardage record.
Champagne Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm pretty sure Marino had about half of the attempts per game though. That record is one of the most impressive records in football. With as much as people pass now, it should be broken every year.

That said, it has been four games and we can't score for ****. Who cares about a record that he isn't close to yet?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Klis View Post
His question was rhetorical. The New Orleans Saints were 8-8 the year Brees joined Marino in the 5,000-yard circle. It wasn't until the Saints improved from 28th in rushing in 2008 to sixth in 2009 that the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Despite improving 5 percent in his completion percentage, Brees passed for nearly 700 fewer yards in 2009, when the Saints finished 16-3, including 3-0 in the postseason.

"I would definitely trade in passing yards for offensive balance, no question about it," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "You do have to give (Orton) credit for what he has done. He's really executed our offense, executed our game plan under difficult circumstances."
This.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Game tape maven Greg Cosell of NFL Films came up with a great stat on the Fantasyguru.com podcast preview this week: despite Denver's rushing woes this season, Kyle Orton is 15 of 20 for 315 yards on play-action passes in his last two games. This is obviously unique because an offense generally needs an effective running game to sell play action. But in this case, it's yet another reason that we may need to step back and start looking at Orton as a near-elite quarterback. And are the Ravens so deadly against the run anymore? Through four games, Baltimore's defense ranks 21st in Defensive Adjusted Line Yards, and running back P%#*\# H***** put up 144 yards on 22 carries against that front seven in Week 3. Only the Lions are worse than the Broncos in Offensive Adjusted Line Yards, but if Orton and the Ravens' front line both keep playing as they have, it may not matter.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Game tape maven Greg Cosell of NFL Films came up with a great stat on the Fantasyguru.com podcast preview this week: despite Denver's rushing woes this season, Kyle Orton is 15 of 20 for 315 yards on play-action passes in his last two games. This is obviously unique because an offense generally needs an effective running game to sell play action. But in this case, it's yet another reason that we may need to step back and start looking at Orton as a near-elite quarterback. And are the Ravens so deadly against the run anymore? Through four games, Baltimore's defense ranks 21st in Defensive Adjusted Line Yards, and running back P%#*\# H***** put up 144 yards on 22 carries against that front seven in Week 3. Only the Lions are worse than the Broncos in Offensive Adjusted Line Yards, but if Orton and the Ravens' front line both keep playing as they have, it may not matter.
I've always wondered how Manning got away with it too. Excellently designed pass plays, I guess...
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Ravens run defense numbers are severely skewed from playing against Hillis though, we must remember.

With Moreno out, I'll be euphoric if we gain over 50 yards yards on the ground this Sunday. Against the Jets I'm just hoping we can break even.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I wouldn't be surprised if two or three QBs broke yardage records this year. And Orton could be one of them.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Just heard this on the radio this morning, when Mort brought it up on Mike & Mike. That's a VERY impressive statistic, and I'm glad they track these things. I was actually wondering about it last week while playing the Titans, because those plays just kept working.

Here's hopin' we can move the rock and score this weekend in Balto.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I'm pretty sure Marino had about half of the attempts per game though. That record is one of the most impressive records in football. With as much as people pass now, it should be broken every year.

That said, it has been four games and we can't score for ****. Who cares about a record that he isn't close to yet?
Marino: About 37 attempts per game
Orton (so far): 44 attempts per game
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Denver Broncos Scoring Offense 2010: 10th @ 21.8 ppg.
Denver Broncos Passing Offense 2010: 1st @ 339.5 ypg
Denver Broncos Rushing Offense 2010: 32nd @ 55.0 ypg
Denver Broncos Total Yards Offense 2010: 4th @ 394.5 ypg

Scoring Leaders:
1) New England 32.8 ppg
2) Indianapolis 29.2 ppg
3) San Diego 28.2 ppg
4) Houston 27 ppg
5) Green Bay 26.5 ppg
5) NYJ 26.5 ppg
7) Tennessee 24.5 ppg
8) Philadelphia 23.8 ppg
9) Atlanta 23.2 ppg
10) Denver 21.8 ppg

Considering we have the worst rushing attack in the league and are still a top 10 scoring team I think we are doing quite well.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Denver Broncos Scoring Offense 2010: 10th @ 21.8 ppg.
Denver Broncos Passing Offense 2010: 1st @ 339.5 ypg
Denver Broncos Rushing Offense 2010: 32nd @ 55.0 ypg
Denver Broncos Total Yards Offense 2010: 4th @ 394.5 ypg

Scoring Leaders:
1) New England 32.8 ppg
2) Indianapolis 29.2 ppg
3) San Diego 28.2 ppg
4) Houston 27 ppg
5) Green Bay 26.5 ppg
5) NYJ 26.5 ppg
7) Tennessee 24.5 ppg
8) Philadelphia 23.8 ppg
9) Atlanta 23.2 ppg
10) Denver 21.8 ppg

Considering we have the worst rushing attack in the league and are still a top 10 scoring team I think we are doing quite well.
Very good point.

At this stage, any semblance of a running game could turn this offense into something pretty scary.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

When we get to 26 points per game we will be an elite team.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
When we get to 26 points per game we will be an elite team.
Like the New York Giants?

Baltimore is no where in that top 10 but no one assumes they suck.

Scoring points is great, Id be happy with 21.8 all year IF we could somehow stop the ST touchdowns we give up and not allow turnover TDs.

That in and of itself will go a long way to winning when we lose.

Tennessee scored 13 points on our defense, that's it. And 3 of those were really a coaching error on McD's fault for calling that timeout. So technically speaking Tennessee (a top 10 scoring team) was held to 10 points from our Defense.

IF we can stop ****ing ourselves on Special Teams, and some clock management issues, we'd be pretty effing good already.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

If we get the run game working -- Orton's passing yards should come down.

All to the good.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This reminds of '08 where it looks good early. I think as we play better pass defenses Orton's numbers will come down. If we ever get the run game going and are playing with some leads, we will also see that number come down. I really hope Orton doesn't have to break that record because it means we're doing several things wrong.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Like the New York Giants?

Baltimore is no where in that top 10 but no one assumes they suck.

Scoring points is great, Id be happy with 21.8 all year IF we could somehow stop the ST touchdowns we give up and not allow turnover TDs.

That in and of itself will go a long way to winning when we lose.

Tennessee scored 13 points on our defense, that's it. And 3 of those were really a coaching error on McD's fault for calling that timeout. So technically speaking Tennessee (a top 10 scoring team) was held to 10 points from our Defense.

IF we can stop ****ing ourselves on Special Teams, and some clock management issues, we'd be pretty effing good already.
Key word in my post is "elite"
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Most seem to think Baltimore is elite.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Most seem to think Baltimore is elite.
I would call them very good moving toward elite. They, like the Broncos, will get there when they start scoring more points.

BTW the bigger problem with our Broncos is ST coverage.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
"It's only four games!" receiver Eddie Royal said, laughing.

There's why I like Eddie Royal. Because he's not a complete f'n moron like Mike Klit.
We had a Rockies pitcher who was on pace to win 30 games. We were also on a 6-0 start last year. This proves that things slow down and the opponent figures things out. This could happen and also we actually figure out our running problem and burn up the clock and get yards not thrown by Orton. The last part can improve our team in the WIN column. As for Steeledude, don't call the kettle black buddy. If there is ever a person who is a f'n moron, it would be you.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote