The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Baltimore a scary place for Broncos

Baltimore a scary place for Broncos

The Denver Broncos have not enjoyed much success in their previous trips to Baltimore.

In fact the last time the Broncos won in Baltimore was in Week 2 of the 1983 season when Steve DeBerg relieved an ineffective rookie named John Elway at quarterback and engineered two fourth-quarter scoring drives to lead the Broncos from behind to a 17-14 victory over the Baltimore Colts at the old Memorial Stadium.

But since the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore before the 1996 season and became the Ravens, the Broncos have yet to even play competitive football in Baltimore.

They will look to reverse that trend of defeat this Sunday as the Broncos travel to Baltimore to face the Ravens in what has been a house of horror for them.

"Yeah, (Baltimore is a tough place to play), absolutely; they have been known for that defense for the past 10-15 years, so you go in there and you know you are going to be in for a dog fight," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said,

Most of the current players know the pain of facing the Ravens and that defense in Baltimore as the two teams met in the same location in what turned out to be a 30-7 drubbing of the Broncos in what was their first defeat of the season.

"Last year they played better than we did. We weren’t ready to handle their physicality and their energy. When you do that, especially there, they are a tough team to play and you don’t look good," quarterback Kyle Orton said.

But the Broncos dismal history in Baltimore goes beyond last season.

Back in 2002, the Broncos were undefeated at 3-0 and went to Baltimore for a Week 4 matchup with the Ravens on Monday Night Football. They left with their first loss of the season after a 34-23 loss after falling behind 31-3 in the first half.

They would return to Baltimore the following season with a new quarterback but left with same result as the Ravens handled the Broncos 26-6.

Those are the only three regular season meetings the Broncos have had with the Ravens in Baltimore, but they did meet once in the playoffs as in the Wild Card round in 2000 as the Ravens dominated Denver 20-3 in route to a Super Bowl Championship.

While many of the players on the Ravens' vaunted defense has changed, the one player that has remained the centerpiece and face of the franchise for the past 10-plus years is linebacker Ray Lewis and he hasn't really slowed down.

"I think he still has a good motor but I think right now, it’s more that he knows the game. He’s played (in the NFL for) so long, he’s seen every possible play, every possible thing you can do to him. The fact that he’s a savvy vet, he’s able to continue to make the type of plays that he made when he was just playing off raw skills," Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said.

While the Broncos haven't enjoyed any success in Baltimore recently, neither have many other teams as the Ravens have won nearly 72 percent of their home games since 2000.

http://www.examiner.com/denver-bronc...ce-for-broncos
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Wow, you mean to tell me that NFL teams win alot of their home games? Wow, I bet that also means alot of teams on the road lose more than they win?

No team is unbeatable (save for the '72 Dolphins) and they play the games for a reason....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Bruschi: Orton To Get Taste Of Reality vs. Ravens
What NFL fans have witnessed to date from Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton is something rarely seen in the history of the league, says CBSSports.com.
Orton has thrown for more passing yards (1,419) through the first four games of a season than anybody else not named Kurt Warner, who did it for the Rams in 2000. Needless to say, Orton is causing discomfort for opposing teams.
But Countdown Daily’s Tedy Bruschi thinks Orton’s streak is about to come to a crashing halt.
“Kyle Orton has had a great first quarter of the season, he’s throwing the ball all over the place [and his] statistics are through the roof, but this is the Baltimore Ravens at home,” Bruschi said.
“Orton is going to get a little taste of reality going up against that Ravens defense.”
Denver’s offense is getting little help from a run game that is averaging 55 yards per game. In fact, Orton actually leads the team with 2.9 yards per rush.
The key for Baltimore may be to attack Orton, who has been sacked 11 times so far.
“If the Ravens can get pressure on Orton (which I think they’ll be able to do), it will force Orton into some bad decisions,” wrote The Baltimore Sun’s Jamison Hensley. “I just can’t see Orton beating the Ravens.”
But the pressure may need to come without bringing extra help. Orton said the thing that stands out most to him about the Ravens’ defense is the number of players it drops into coverage.
“Early on, I always thought Baltimore would be all blitz, blitz, blitz, but they actually drop more people into coverage than probably 95-percent of the teams around the league,” Orton told reporters Wednesday.
The stable of Ravens corners – Fabian Washington, Lardarius Webb, Chris Carr and Cary Williams – will be rejoined by Josh Wilson who was inactive vs. the Steelers. Head Coach John Harbaugh said Wilson will be a “big part of the game plan” vs. Orton and Co.
Week 5 Picks: Broncos vs. Ravens
I didn’t find a single analyst that picked the Broncos to come out victorious this weekend (although “Madden NFL 11″ simulated a Denver victory, 17-10).
Most analysts caution the Ravens against a letdown after an emotional win over the Steelers (Ravens are 1-3 in games following their past four victories over Pittsburgh), but under Harbaugh, Baltimore usually takes care of teams they’re “supposed” to beat at home.
Plus, the Ravens have a stranglehold on Denver with a 4-0 record against the Broncos in Baltimore, winning by an average of 18 points.
The Baltimore Sun: Six of six pick the Ravens
WJZ’s Mark Viviano: Ravens 27, Broncos 17
SI.com’s Peter King: Ravens 30, Broncos 23
USA Today: Eight of eight pick the Ravens
Yahoo! Sports: Three of three pick Ravens
Sporting News: Six of six pick Ravens
Pro Football Talk: Two of two pick Ravens
Fox Sports’ Peter Schrager: Ravens 30, Broncos 16
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Baltimore is a scary place for anyone who isn't a convicted felon and it even creeps some of them out. There is a reason the city embraced Ray Lewis the way they did. My sister lives there because she is finishing up her Thesis at the University of Maryland but can't stand the place. I make it out there about 4 times a year as a result and honestly don't understand how anyone willingly lives in that hole.

Last edited by v2micca; 10-08-2010 at 07:42 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Can't we use something different besides scary. This scary nonsense is for fans not for players.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Baltimore is a scary place.
Fixed.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Are we talking Ghostbusters scary?

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Bruschi could be a little biased as I am sure he dislikes our Broncos since we owned his Patriots. Nice to see everyone taking the Ravens.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Not as scary as when we kick their ass.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

There's a reason "The Wire" was set in Baltimore.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

I got a feeling we win this game and it will be the turning point for this team's cohesiveness.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I got a feeling we win this game and it will be the turning point for this team's cohesiveness.
pretty big word, I think you might need to dumb it down a little for us Hillis fans
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
pretty big word, I think you might need to dumb it down a little for us Hillis fans
Stickiness?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Oops, sorry, wrong thread, that probably belongs somewhere in the dong shots thread.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

the team is not cohesive now?
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Bruschi could be a little biased as I am sure he dislikes our Broncos since we owned his Patriots. Nice to see everyone taking the Ravens.
Last week's "experts" on ESPN had the Titans over the Broncos across the board.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
Last week's "experts" on ESPN had the Titans over the Broncos across the board.
Yup, they weren't supposed to have a chance in Tennessee.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I think Schlreth picked the Broncos to beat the Titans last week.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Glueiosity
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

A win in Baltimore would put the entire league on notice that the Broncos are for real.

I would love to see it, not just because I love to see any Denver victory, but because it would force so many nerds to eat crow.

Even more I would love for Moroney to have 3 yards on 12 carries, and have Orton go 38/55 for 410yds, 3 TDs. Just to really stuff some socks in the mouths of the pundits who think Orton has been the beneficiary of luck, or poor defenses.

Man I would love that.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Yup, they weren't supposed to have a chance in Tennessee.
and we weren't suppose to have a chance in SB32 either...so there ya go...ALWAYS a chance!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote