The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default QB Orton guiding a one-dimensional Broncos offense

QB Orton guiding a one-dimensional Broncos offense

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
10 hours, 51 minutes ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Kyle Orton’s passing stats are gaudy and historic through the opening month of the season.

Still, the Broncos quarterback can’t help but imagine how much better this offense might be if it had even a small hint of a running game—just enough to keep opponents honest.

“Certainly, this offense is built around being a balanced attack, and we’d love to get to that point,” Orton said.

So far, the Broncos offense has been quite one-dimensional.

Through the opening four games of the season, Orton has thrown for 1,419 yards, the second-most in NFL history, behind only Kurt Warner’s start of 1,557 in 2000.

His three straight 300-yard games mark just the fourth time that’s occurred in Broncos history. Hall of Famer John Elway did it once, and Brian Griese twice.

For that, Orton can credit a nonexistent rushing attack that is forcing him to throw an average of 44 times a game. The Broncos are last in the league in rushing, averaging just 55 yards per contest.

The ground game was so sporadic against Tennessee last weekend that Orton actually led the team in rushing with 11 yards.

“Right now, we can’t even run the ball, so we don’t have an identity,” tight end Daniel Graham said. “We’re trying to establish that.”

Their identity has centered on Orton.

“Kyle’s playing real good right now,” Graham said. “He’s been a good leader for us out there, carrying this offense.”

And taking quite a few hits in the process. The Titans sacked Orton six times last weekend, bringing the season total to 11.

Yet Orton refused to hang his offensive line out to dry for the knockdowns.

“I play football like everybody else. You get hit in football. It’s just part of the game,” he said. “I think our offensive line does a great job protecting me. They’ve had a rough spell in one game.

“I’m not going to sit here and think they’re coming on every single play. I’m going to trust my line to do their job, which is to protect.”

Keeping Orton safe and secure may be even more difficult this Sunday against a Baltimore Ravens defense that leads the league against the pass.

Led by perennial Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis, the pressure will be turned up.

“Ray’s a very smart player and their entire defense as a unit is smart,” Orton said. “They route-read really well and pass routes off to one another very good. They’re just a good pass defense.”

Orton wasn’t as complimentary of the Titans after a 26-20 win. He was upset with the play of Titans defensive back Cortland "PUNK" Finnegan, calling him a “cheap” player.

On Wednesday, Orton attempted to diffuse the situation—at least in part.

“I said what I said after the game and I stand by it,” Orton said. “Really, to me, it’s over with and now I’m moving on.”

The first order of business is shoring up that running game. The Broncos could receive a boost from Knowshon Moreno, who has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury but returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday. Moreno leads the team with 111 yards, more than all the other Broncos backs combined.

“It’s something we have to fix and something we need to fix fast to balance out our offense,” Correll Buckhalter said. “What more challenge than to go up against the Ravens. They have a good solid defense. If we can get our running game against them, that will be perfect.”

The Broncos were off to a 6-0 start last season and flying high in coach Josh McDaniels’ first year.

But their season was derailed in Baltimore. They lost 30-7 and started their descent toward an 8-8 season.

Denver was stuffed in the running game, gaining just 66 yards, and Orton was limited to 152 yards passing.

“We weren’t ready to handle their physicality and their energy,” Orton said. “When you do that, especially there, they’re a tough team to play and you don’t look good. … But that was last year, this is this year.”

Orton isn’t the same quarterback. He has a better grasp of the offense, a solid connection with his receivers and a little more financial security after the Broncos rewarded him in August with an extension through 2011, a deal worth $9 million with $5.5 million guaranteed.

“I think the more I’m around these guys, I just realize how good they are and they really give me a great chance to be successful,” Orton said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-orton
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Thumbs up to such a great attitude and some great play on the whole for the first quarter.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Thumbs up to such a great attitude and some great play on the whole for the first quarter.
I wish my pops could have watched the Titan game (he was travelling). He might have actually started to like Orton.

Orton is a fun dude to root for.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

I don't know guys, I am a bit worried for Orton-while he is definitely more mobile than last year, he's not fast, and the thought of the Murderer chasing him down and seriously hurting him (ala Cutler) is a concern for me.

I realize this sounds crazy, but I kinda wish Tebow was up to speed so he could keep 'em guessing-the threat of him running (even without a running game) or passing might help against these guys-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

His three straight 300-yard games mark just the fourth time that’s occurred in Broncos history. Hall of Famer John Elway did it once, and Brian Griese twice.
Wait, Brian Griese actually got 3 straight 300 yard passing games, and not only did it once, but twice?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Wait, Brian Griese actually got 3 straight 300 yard passing games, and not only did it once, but twice?
Griese was a good QB till he tripped over his dog.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
Griese was a good QB till he tripped over his dog.
Griese was a good QB on the stat sheets...3rd down and the redzone were not his friends after his pro-bowl season in 2000.

Kyle plays with a lot more fire than the G-boy ever did, but IMO they are essentially the same QB.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
I don't know guys, I am a bit worried for Orton-while he is definitely more mobile than last year, he's not fast, and the thought of the Murderer chasing him down and seriously hurting him (ala Cutler) is a concern for me.

I realize this sounds crazy, but I kinda wish Tebow was up to speed so he could keep 'em guessing-the threat of him running (even without a running game) or passing might help against these guys-
over history, the best thing for a rookie QB is to sit and learn. Look at guys like McNair, Young, McNabb, Rogers, etc. They all benefited from sitting and learning.

Orton is playing at a much higher level than Tebow could ever dream of at this point.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
over history, the best thing for a rookie QB is to sit and learn. Look at guys like McNair, Young, McNabb, Rogers, etc. They all benefited from sitting and learning.

Orton is playing at a much higher level than Tebow could ever dream of at this point.
That might be a mild exaggeration.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post

tebow only dreams of world peace and unicorn jiz.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That might be a mild exaggeration.
True,
Tebow may have more TD's....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
yeah, that elway dude stunk up the joint, though.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote