The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Clancy Barone

Our OL coach... worked under Gibbs in Atlanta in the mid 2000s before joining the Chargers in 2007. Before he signed on in SD, the Chargers rushed for 2600 yards at 4.9 a clip. In 2007 that production dipped to 2000 and 4.2 and in 2008 he finished murdering their rushing game and the result was 1700 yards at 4.1 a pop.

Why is he here? Imo, we should've gotten a real replacement after Dennison, not let his assistant do a piss poor job in another city.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

No joke I was looking at this today and thought about starting this thread! I was watching the game last night and thinking "they look poorly coached" and then noticed this. I'm not sure if it's the drills or what, but I definitely think position coaching should be looked at. We've seen this unit play better in all phases and they aren't getting it done. There is no urgency off the ball, they don't use their hands well, and there is a lack of tenacity.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Our OL coach... worked under Gibbs in Atlanta in the mid 2000s before joining the Chargers in 2007. Before he signed on in SD, the Chargers rushed for 2600 yards at 4.9 a clip. In 2007 that production dipped to 2000 and 4.2 and in 2008 he finished murdering their rushing game and the result was 1700 yards at 4.1 a pop.

Why is he here? Imo, we should've gotten a real replacement after Dennison, not let his assistant do a piss poor job in another city.
The drop in San Diego has more to do with Marty not being there than the inept Norv Turner. Still guys track record is showing a marginal trend like you said.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/co...7-d9ca1ceeeb09

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/co...d-a497fc0f87d9
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No joke I was looking at this today and thought about starting this thread! I was watching the game last night and thinking "they look poorly coached" and then noticed this. I'm not sure if it's the drills or what, but I definitely think position coaching should be looked at. We've seen this unit play better in all phases and they aren't getting it done. There is no urgency off the ball, they don't use their hands well, and there is a lack of tenacity.
Wondered about that, myself. I don't claim to be savvy enough to do a realistic OL positional breakdown of an NFL team, but it's easy enough to look at the sum of the moving parts and assume something is very wrong.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

The most interesting man in the world.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Looking at the vid it's apparent the oline is not in sync and that they are slow off the snap. Their alignment is also questionable, but I've noticed that many NFL teams oline alignment is not very good. Still, this all points to lack of caring about detail and a very basic lack of sound fundamentals...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
The most interesting man in the world.
My offensive line doesn't always block, but when they do.....
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
My offensive line doesn't always block, but when they do.....
...they prefer to do it behind the LOS
Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

During your research did you happen upon the fact that while in San Diego he coached the tight ends, not the OL? Same job he did for us last year.

His last time coaching an OL was in 2004 for the Falcons, as you said under Alex Gibbs. The Falcons were the #1 rushing offense in the NFL that year.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

It's more to do with youth inside, Kuper and Clady not playing well, and Harris being injured.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We know that Kuper and Clady can play at a very high level, Harris is just back from injury and can not be expected to be 100% yet, Daniels and Walton are both relative unknowns in terms of their NFL level, however it does look like the players are not performing individually and as a unit as well as they should.

I don't think we can really judge the offensive line for a couple of games because Harris does need a few games to his feet under him, but if it does not pick up significantly over the next 3 or 4 games it has to be coaching. We are not doing anything that looks too exotic or demanding out there so they should be able to deal with it.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
During your research did you happen upon the fact that while in San Diego he coached the tight ends, not the OL? Same job he did for us last year.

His last time coaching an OL was in 2004 for the Falcons, as you said under Alex Gibbs. The Falcons were the #1 rushing offense in the NFL that year.
Nice catch.

Very interesting. I just had assumed he was qualified for the job. Apparently I was way off!

And re: "coaching the Falcons OL". We all know it was Gibbs that season. And interesting that after Gibbs stopped coaching and became a consultant for the Falcons, Barone was immediately "demoted" to coaching the tight ends.

I feel even worse about this guy now, thanks for that.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't mean to sound like a girl, but:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...eferrerid=6326
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I don't mean to sound like a girl, but:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...eferrerid=6326
Ooops. Sorry. haven't been around much and didn't use the search function.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Ooops. Sorry. haven't been around much and didn't use the search function.
It's ok, i'm over it. The topic is what is important.

My take is that Barone is a Tight Ends coach that wanted to advance his career. He may have earned the chance at a promotion, but I don't know if he should keep it.

I personally think we have the talent to be a much better rushing team. I think Barone is not the teacher that Dennison was.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

To be fair there were MANY people that didn't think Dennison was very good at first either.

Not defending the guy or really commenting one way or another, just pointing out that you internet nitwits dont know ****.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
It's ok, i'm over it. The topic is what is important.

My take is that Barone is a Tight Ends coach that wanted to advance his career. He may have earned the chance at a promotion, but I don't know if he should keep it.

I personally think we have the talent to be a much better rushing team. I think Barone is not the teacher that Dennison was.
But... did he?

Did Richard Quinn's development from 2009 to now really warrant a promotion?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
But... did he?

Did Richard Quinn's development from 2009 to now really warrant a promotion?
When you polish a turd you end up with, yep, a turd.

Just saying.

Again not defending the guy or commenting one way or another, just pointing to an immutable fact.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

What I will comment on this topic on is that it is too early to judge our Oline coach's ability HERE in Denver considering the circumstances with the offensive line. When accounting for a bevy of injuries, and that not even Clady who is the least injured of the returning starters is 100% healthy yet, and that you have a rookie center, and a first year starter, it is, in my estimation, a bit unfair to judge the guy just yet.

Now I am not saying he is up to the task, and what is concerning is that IF Walton does have a tell and defenses are going to tee off on it, how come he hasn't seen it and corrected it? (The tell thing is speculation on my part but tennessee was getting off the ball way to easily and almost in perfect sync with the snap count. One guy, on a play here and there and that's good guessing. The entire defensive line for most of the game? The game is afoot dear Watson);
Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
What I will comment on this topic on is that it is too early to judge our Oline coach's ability HERE in Denver considering the circumstances with the offensive line. When accounting for a bevy of injuries, and that not even Clady who is the least injured of the returning starters is 100% healthy yet, and that you have a rookie center, and a first year starter, it is, in my estimation, a bit unfair to judge the guy just yet.

Now I am not saying he is up to the task, and what is concerning is that IF Walton does have a tell and defenses are going to tee off on it, how come he hasn't seen it and corrected it? (The tell thing is speculation on my part but tennessee was getting off the ball way to easily and almost in perfect sync with the snap count. One guy, on a play here and there and that's good guessing. The entire defensive line for most of the game? The game is afoot dear Watson);
I'll agree this could be a number of issues. Still, I'm concerned that he looks to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I'll agree this could be a number of issues. Still, I'm concerned that he looks to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.
IF he is I am 100% certain McDaniels will upgrade the position with a better coach. But I also believe McDaniels will give him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

How can you go wrong with a name like Clancy Barone
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock chalk View Post
if he is i am 100% certain mcdaniels will upgrade the position with a better coach. But i also believe mcdaniels will give him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances.
+1
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nice catch.

Very interesting. I just had assumed he was qualified for the job. Apparently I was way off!

And re: "coaching the Falcons OL". We all know it was Gibbs that season. And interesting that after Gibbs stopped coaching and became a consultant for the Falcons, Barone was immediately "demoted" to coaching the tight ends.

I feel even worse about this guy now, thanks for that.
He was an assistant OL coach with the Falcons, under Gibbs. Also under Jeff Jagodzinski, the official position coach who retained the same position in '05.

Barone in fact was apparently so impressive in just one season as an NFL assistant positional coach that the team felt completely comfortable with moving him to a full positional coach title of his own.

Of course that did follow up a collegiate career in which he was voted the 2002 D1A Offensive Line Coach of the Year by The National Offensive Line Coaches Association (i.e. a vote from his collective peers), while doing so he had a no name back at Houston place in the top 10 leading rushers for the year. And while coaching at Wyoming, that football stalwart, his offensive lines only gave up 35 sacks, in three seasons combined.

And yes, while at Wyoming and Houston he was both the OC and the OL coach.

When we see on tape the O line blatantly missing assignments its not time to point fingers at the coach. It starts with the players. Especially when 95% of the time our OL problems are the cause of a single player displaying catastrophic failure while the rest of the OL does their job. Then the next play its another OL failing while the guy who sucked last play does his job. The OL obviously knows their assignments for the most part because generally each player did his job. They just took turns being the guilty party on every play. With Daniels and Walton taking a disproportionately large share.

It only takes one defender in the backfield at the time of hand off to scuttle a run play.

Its Barone's job to coach out these mistakes and relay the necessary personnel changes needed, if he feels there are any, to McDaniels. But he gets a bit longer than a few weeks to iron them out when he's been adding a new offensive lineman on a near weekly basis to start the year.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote