The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Physical practices planned for Broncos

It was the first domino, and when it was toppled just more than a year ago, the rest of the 2009 season went with it for the Broncos.

The Broncos return to Baltimore on Sunday, the place where the Ravens' 30-7 victory put the brakes on the Broncos' 6-0 start and began the 2-8 limp through the rest of the season that pushed Denver's playoff plans off the drawing board.

"You always know what you're going to get there," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "We got it (last year). You get it any time you go there. You better be prepared for it or bad things will happen."

On Nov. 1, all of those bad things did happen. Jarrett Johnson sacked Kyle Orton on the Broncos' first offensive play. Baltimore safety Ed Reed plowed into Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno in the first quarter, knocking the ball out, a tone-setting collision that led to the Ravens' first points of what became a 23-point victory.

The Ravens returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco threw only five incomplete passes. A Broncos defense that had owned third down going into the game allowed the Ravens to convert 11-of-18, including 6-of-8 in the second half when Baltimore rushed for 90 yards.

All of which had been seven days in the making, Broncos coach Josh Mc- Daniels said this week.

"We had a bad week of preparation, a bad week of practice last year before we played the Ravens," McDaniels said. "They're a really good football team, a physical football team. We're going to need to be ready to play our most physical game of the year against them."

Last year, the Broncos were coming off a bye week before their trip to Baltimore. They were the talk of the NFL, having opened McDaniels' inaugural season as coach at 6-0 with victories over the Patriots, Cowboys and Chargers along the way.

The Ravens looked to be the far more physical team in last season's meeting, but the Broncos still trailed only 6-0 at the half.

That changed in the space of 14 seconds when Lardarius Webb returned the second-half kickoff 95 yards for a score, and the Ravens followed by scoring on three of their last four possessions of the game to close things out.

To try to avoid a potential repeat, McDaniels said he plans to keep the Broncos on the physical edge in practice this week.

"We need to have a great week of practice, so I think we'll be out there in pads," McDaniels said.

Said wide receiver Eddie Royal: "You always want to have a good week of practice because you feel a lot better going into the game about your game plan, about the plays that you want to run, and we didn't have our best week of practice (last season). When you are playing a team like the Ravens, you really have to have a good week of practice and be focused and be ready to come out and compete because it's going to be a tough game."

The Broncos are battling more than a little statistical weight as well. The team is 0-4 all time facing the Ravens in Baltimore, having been outscored 111-39 in those four games.

And despite their hard-earned victory over the Titans this past Sunday, opposing teams have won only 40 percent of the time the week after games against Tennessee, dating to the start of the 1999 season.

"We need that tough mind-set, that we'll do whatever it takes to get it done," safety Brian Dawkins said. "That has to be our mentality this week and every week."
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'd love for the Broncos to hand the ratbirds a loss on their home field... can someone essplain why the Broncos have to travel to Baltimore two years in a row?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd love for the Broncos to hand the ratbirds a loss on their home field... can someone essplain why the Broncos have to travel to Baltimore two years in a row?
Didn't we get Cincy 2 years on the road during the SB run and just tear them apart?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post

And despite their hard-earned victory over the Titans this past Sunday, opposing teams have won only 40 percent of the time the week after games against Tennessee, dating to the start of the 1999 season.
This is really scraping the bottom of the meaningless statistics barrel.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
I would really love an analytical break down of why it seems we have to play Indy every ****ing year. (And Baltimore to only a slightly lesser extent.) I understand the broad reasons, but if some one does a year by year break down, I'll give you rep, lol.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
I would really love an analytical break down of why it seems we have to play Indy every ****ing year. (And Baltimore to only a slightly lesser extent.) I understand the broad reasons, but if some one does a year by year break down, I'll give you rep, lol.
Blame the effing Chargers.

We get Indy this year because of the division we play is the AFC South but in the OTHER years we have just had the unremarkably bad luck if finishing in the same effing place in our division as Indy did in theirs.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...uture_afcw.htm

look at the future schedule and you should be able to figure it out. The Broncos finished 2nd in the division in 2009, therefore they were matched up with the B-more and the Ny Jets. These are the only games on a teams schedule that are determined by the previous years record. It's been this way since 2002.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Code:
Regular Season                    
Date                      Site        Venue                         Res  Tm   Opp
Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009      Baltimore   M&T Bank Stadium              L    7    30
Monday, Oct. 9, 2006      Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    W    13   3
Sunday, Dec. 11, 2005     Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    W    12   10
Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003     Baltimore   M&T Bank Stadium              L    6    26
Monday, Sept. 30, 2002    Baltimore   Ravens Stadium                L    23   34
Sunday, Sept. 30, 2001    Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    L    13   20
Sunday, Oct. 20, 1996     Denver      Mile High Stadium             W    45   34

Post Season                    
Date                      Site        Venue                         Res  Tm   Opp
Sunday, Dec. 31, 2000     Baltimore   PSINet Stadium                L    3    21
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We don't play Indy every year, it just seems that way. So how the scheduling works is every year we play the following:
-A-Home and home against the division= 6 games
-B-1 NFC division (all teams)--this rotates every year so we play each NFC team every 4 years and no more=4 games
-C-1 AFC division (all teams)--this also rotates yearly but we play some teams more than every three years because of D=4 games
-D-All remaining AFC teams who finished in the same position in their division as the Broncos did the previous year =2 games

So, this year we were on rotation to have the entire AFC South so we had to play the Colts. Last year we played them because, like us, they finished 2nd in their division the prior year-we didn't play any other teams from the AFC South last year.
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

look at the future schedule and you should be able to figure it out. The Broncos finished 2nd in the division in 2009, therefore they were matched up with the B-more and the Ny Jets. These are the only games on a teams schedule that are determined by the previous years record. It's been this way since 2002.
So we play the Colts again next year and the year after that and then again in '13. They may as well be a division rival.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
There's a meaningless stat if I've ever seen one...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
So we play the Colts again next year and the year after that and then again in '13. They may as well be a division rival.
Only if the Colts win their division this year and next...
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That link doesn't say that...
Home - New England, NY Jets, Chicago, Detroit
Away - Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota
Home - Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina
Away - Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa Bay
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There's a meaningless stat if I've ever seen one...
Doesn't that mean teams won 60 percent of their games after the Titans...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
it's possible...2013 and 2016 guaranteed
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:

The Broncos have been victims of KC and Oakland sucking major **** balls for the last 7-8 years.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
The Broncos have been victims of KC and Oakland sucking major **** balls for the last 7-8 years.
I'd argue that the Broncos have been the victims of their own suckyness
Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
I think he's implying that the Broncos and Indy are going to win their respective divisions in those years.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
I'd argue that the Broncos have been the victims of their own suckyness
My point being that, no matter how badly we've sucked, KC and Oak sucked worse and we have had pretty tough scheduling as a result.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think he's implying that the Broncos and Indy are going to win their respective divisions in those years.
Ah, well, then please carry on. Nice Avy.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I was reading it wrong. I saw "AFC South" and assumed we played the whole division. So just the team that matched our ranking then for those divisions.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
My point being that, no matter how badly we've sucked, KC and Oak sucked worse and we have had pretty tough scheduling as a result.
you're telling me that you didn't know the chorfs and faid were going to suck this bad?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Quote:
+1 from me too for an answer (the funnier the better!)

the Broncos get no respect when it comes to scheduling. early season games in FL? late season games in KC? having to travel to that port-a-potty known as Oakland Coliseum every year?

Last edited by Gort; 10-06-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Code:
Regular Season                    
Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009      Baltimore   M&T Bank Stadium              L    7    30
Monday, Oct. 9, 2006      Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    W    13   3
Sunday, Dec. 11, 2005     Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    W    12   10
Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003     Baltimore   M&T Bank Stadium              L    6    26
Monday, Sept. 30, 2002    Baltimore   Ravens Stadium                L    23   34
Sunday, Sept. 30, 2001    Denver      Invesco Field at Mile High    L    13   20
Sunday, Oct. 20, 1996     Denver      Mile High Stadium             W    45   34

Post Season                    
Sunday, Dec. 31, 2000     Baltimore   PSINet Stadium                L    3    21

We've won 2 of the past three, and split the series since '96? (including playoffs)

I mean, I remember the wins...I guess I just remember the losses more. Who'd a thunk it..
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #25
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
We've won 2 of the past three, and split the series since '96? (including playoffs)

I mean, I remember the wins...I guess I just remember the losses more. Who'd a thunk it..
Including playoffs, we're 3-5.

I clearly remember the Monday Night Football game in 2002. Ugly. I actually thought the final score was worse, to be honest.