The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Extend Orton

Alright, I must admit. I wasn't exactly excited when we got Orton as part of Cutler deal. I wanted a guy with a little more upside (say, talent). When we traded for Brady Quinn, I really wanted Quinn to win the job, so we could trade Orton for a D lineman.

Now, fast forward to week 4...

I really think it would take Tebow at least 3 years to be ready and Quinn proves to be a suitable back-up at best. You could argue that any willing QB could succeed in McDaniels' system (say, Matt Cassel), but Orton is really thriving in this system. Despite inconsistent protection and lack of running game, he's limiting his mistakes, putting this team on his back and kept the team in the game.

Orton is anti-Cutler. Not very exciting, he doesn't thread the needle between defenders or hit WRs in strides 40 yards down. But that's not our offense. I've accepted the fact that zone-blocking system is long gone and we'll rather try to hit underneath receiver for 6 yards gain, 5 plays in a row.

And most of all, he stays out of spotlight. Unlike Cutler or Marshall, he welcomes challenges (drafting Tebow), puts his head down and competes, while demonstrating his leadership skills.

By the time Tebow's ready to carry this offense, Orton should stay as the starting quarterback for the Broncos.

Go Broncos!
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

no
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

:-O http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ortonextension
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
no
So, who would you rather have, Tebow or Quinn?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I wasn't talking about one year extension he just received, but for 2 or 3 years.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
I wasn't talking about one year extension he just received, but for 2 or 3 years.
Couldn't help myself
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I'm down. Bird in the hand.

If Tebow develops... great! We'll have the "problem" of two QBs who can run our system well.

Until then, it's apparent that Orton is our best option behind center. He's also still fairly young. Lock him up now, and you get (likely) his best 4-5 years of his career.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Yes, extend now.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I'm down. Bird in the hand.

If Tebow develops... great! We'll have the "problem" of two QBs who can run our system well.

Until then, it's apparent that Orton is our best option behind center. He's also still fairly young. Lock him up now, and you get (likely) his best 4-5 years of his career.
Exactly. I'm really hoping for Tebow to develop, which would be awesome for this franchise. In case he doesn't, Orton can still carry this team.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Um, we just did.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
So, who would you rather have, Tebow or Quinn?
Let's see how Orton plays the ENTIRE year before we even think about extending him. Now peeps here are acting like he's Tom Terrific and he's not. Sorry, he's just NOT. He's doing very, very well right now but he's got to prove he can consistently win the big games and help get the Broncos to the playoffs before he gets an extension.

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves he can win in crunch time...

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 10-04-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Totally down. I agree, he is old enough to grasp a system well and perform and young enough to have 4-5 years of his prime left. Do it. If Tebow develops in the meantime we can Aaron Rodgers him.

Orton has become one of my top 5 favorite Broncos on the team now.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Let's see how Orton plays the ENTIRE year before we even think about extending him. Now peeps here are acting like he's Tom Terrific and he's not. Sorry, he's just NOT. He's doing very, very well right now but he's got to prove he can consistently win the big games and help get the Broncos to the playoffs before he gets an extension.

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves his meddle in crunch time...
But, I think we saw enough last year and this year to know he's definitely capable of winning when guys are playing well around him. That sounds simple, but MOST QBs are not.

He's carrying the team, offensively right now. He also seems to have some nice qualities of leadership and a winning touch.

To me, you extend him... and your worst case scenario at QB over the next 5 years is that you have a pretty good QB. That's a nice insurance policy for a franchise.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves his meddle in crunch time...
Well, Orton did play entire season last year. This year, he looks a lot more comfortable this offense and it shows. This is a young team with a bright future. Right now, I rather have stability over potential.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
But, I think we saw enough last year and this year to know he's definitely capable of winning when guys are playing well around him. That sounds simple, but MOST QBs are not.

He's carrying the team, offensively right now. He also seems to have some nice qualities of leadership and a winning touch.

To me, you extend him... and your worst case scenario at QB over the next 5 years is that you have a pretty good QB. That's a nice insurance policy for a franchise.
I disagree. He's still inconsistent on his throws. He threw one INT and he could have easily thrown another but the DB dropped the pass, it was an easy pick six. Sorry, those types of throws are gonna kill the team on down the road.

The WRs are playing FANTASTIC and they are catching Orton's crappy throws, so give them props.

People here just need to chill out and let the season ride...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

He hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Makes no sense to resign him now.

The actual worse case scenario is that you extend him now, he gets injured again, Tebow beats him out, the salary cap is reinstated, and you're stuck paying out a 5 year starting QB's contract to your backup.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

The WRs are playing FANTASTIC and they are catching Orton's crappy throws, so give them props.
....and this is moronic.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Let it ride.

No sense in signing him to a potentially albatross of a contract now.

I'm sure the Faid will come knocking with Javon Walker money soon.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I disagree. He's still inconsistent on his throws. He threw one INT and he could have easily thrown another but the DB dropped the pass, it was an easy pick six. Sorry, those types of throws are gonna kill the team on down the road.

People here just need to chill out and let the season ride...
Man you are a complete ****ing douche.

Orton has crappy throws, same as every other QB in the league, but he has more great throws than crappy ones and WRs are not "bailing" him out anymore than any other teams WRs.

****ing dumb ****.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
....and this is moronic.
Are you watching the games? How come Lloyd looks so fuggin great? It's because he has to be a freak to pull in some of Orton's inaccurate throws.

How's the redzone scoring again? Not good...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Man you are a complete ****ing douche.

Orton has crappy throws, same as every other QB in the league, but he has more great throws than crappy ones and WRs are not "bailing" him out anymore than any other teams WRs.

****ing dumb ****.
He's not worth a big extension, not now. I'll wait until the season is over before I say he's worth a multi million dollar extension. What is so unreasonable about that?

I was a big on Orton when many here wanted to throw him under the bus. I still love the guy but he still makes head scratching throws. Much of the blame for this falls on the bad running game but still...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Are you watching the games? How come Lloyd looks so fuggin great? It's because he has to be a freak to pull in some of Orton's inaccurate throws.

How's the redzone scoring again? Not good...
Hows that running game again? Oh yeah non-****ing-existant. Thats the red zone issue you dumb ****.

Im so sick of you panty waste pussies on this board. Its ****ing ridiculous this year. Anything you can say to bash the QB who is breaking NFL ****ing records, its old, tired and disgraceful.

Its like you want the team to ****ing fail and its disgusting.

Get the **** out of here and go root for the Foreskins or Cubs.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

No need to extend his deal....he is locked up this year and next.

Let's see how things play out for the next year or two.

It's not like he is going to walk if Denver wants to keep him.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
Champagne Powder
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Broncos should offer:

8 years, $120 million, $70 million guaranteed
Champagne Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Hows that running game again? Oh yeah non-****ing-existant. Thats the red zone issue you dumb ****.

Im so sick of you panty waste pussies on this board. Its ****ing ridiculous this year. Anything you can say to bash the QB who is breaking NFL ****ing records, its old, tired and disgraceful.

Its like you want the team to ****ing fail and its disgusting.

Get the **** out of here and go root for the Foreskins or Cubs.

Yah, saying that Orton does not deserve a multi-million dollar/multi year contract is unreasonable because we are 4 games into his second season, whatever...