The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
boppool
Ring of Famer
 
boppool's Avatar
 
Superbowl or bust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Extend Orton

Alright, I must admit. I wasn't exactly excited when we got Orton as part of Cutler deal. I wanted a guy with a little more upside (say, talent). When we traded for Brady Quinn, I really wanted Quinn to win the job, so we could trade Orton for a D lineman.

Now, fast forward to week 4...

I really think it would take Tebow at least 3 years to be ready and Quinn proves to be a suitable back-up at best. You could argue that any willing QB could succeed in McDaniels' system (say, Matt Cassel), but Orton is really thriving in this system. Despite inconsistent protection and lack of running game, he's limiting his mistakes, putting this team on his back and kept the team in the game.

Orton is anti-Cutler. Not very exciting, he doesn't thread the needle between defenders or hit WRs in strides 40 yards down. But that's not our offense. I've accepted the fact that zone-blocking system is long gone and we'll rather try to hit underneath receiver for 6 yards gain, 5 plays in a row.

And most of all, he stays out of spotlight. Unlike Cutler or Marshall, he welcomes challenges (drafting Tebow), puts his head down and competes, while demonstrating his leadership skills.

By the time Tebow's ready to carry this offense, Orton should stay as the starting quarterback for the Broncos.

Go Broncos!
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

no
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

:-O http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ortonextension
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
boppool
Ring of Famer
 
boppool's Avatar
 
Superbowl or bust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
no
So, who would you rather have, Tebow or Quinn?
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
boppool
Ring of Famer
 
boppool's Avatar
 
Superbowl or bust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I wasn't talking about one year extension he just received, but for 2 or 3 years.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
I wasn't talking about one year extension he just received, but for 2 or 3 years.
Couldn't help myself
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

I'm down. Bird in the hand.

If Tebow develops... great! We'll have the "problem" of two QBs who can run our system well.

Until then, it's apparent that Orton is our best option behind center. He's also still fairly young. Lock him up now, and you get (likely) his best 4-5 years of his career.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Yes, extend now.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
boppool
Ring of Famer
 
boppool's Avatar
 
Superbowl or bust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I'm down. Bird in the hand.

If Tebow develops... great! We'll have the "problem" of two QBs who can run our system well.

Until then, it's apparent that Orton is our best option behind center. He's also still fairly young. Lock him up now, and you get (likely) his best 4-5 years of his career.
Exactly. I'm really hoping for Tebow to develop, which would be awesome for this franchise. In case he doesn't, Orton can still carry this team.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Um, we just did.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
So, who would you rather have, Tebow or Quinn?
Let's see how Orton plays the ENTIRE year before we even think about extending him. Now peeps here are acting like he's Tom Terrific and he's not. Sorry, he's just NOT. He's doing very, very well right now but he's got to prove he can consistently win the big games and help get the Broncos to the playoffs before he gets an extension.

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves he can win in crunch time...

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 10-04-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Fusionfrontman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 993
Default

Totally down. I agree, he is old enough to grasp a system well and perform and young enough to have 4-5 years of his prime left. Do it. If Tebow develops in the meantime we can Aaron Rodgers him.

Orton has become one of my top 5 favorite Broncos on the team now.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Let's see how Orton plays the ENTIRE year before we even think about extending him. Now peeps here are acting like he's Tom Terrific and he's not. Sorry, he's just NOT. He's doing very, very well right now but he's got to prove he can consistently win the big games and help get the Broncos to the playoffs before he gets an extension.

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves his meddle in crunch time...
But, I think we saw enough last year and this year to know he's definitely capable of winning when guys are playing well around him. That sounds simple, but MOST QBs are not.

He's carrying the team, offensively right now. He also seems to have some nice qualities of leadership and a winning touch.

To me, you extend him... and your worst case scenario at QB over the next 5 years is that you have a pretty good QB. That's a nice insurance policy for a franchise.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
boppool
Ring of Famer
 
boppool's Avatar
 
Superbowl or bust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Let's see how Orton plays the ENTIRE year before we even think about extending him. Now peeps here are acting like he's Tom Terrific and he's not. Sorry, he's just NOT. He's doing very, very well right now but he's got to prove he can consistently win the big games and help get the Broncos to the playoffs before he gets an extension.

As for Tebow, we don't really know how good he's gonna be. With Orton, we know what we've got and while he's much improved, I wouldn't dump a boat load of cash on him until he proves his meddle in crunch time...
Well, Orton did play entire season last year. This year, he looks a lot more comfortable this offense and it shows. This is a young team with a bright future. Right now, I rather have stability over potential.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
But, I think we saw enough last year and this year to know he's definitely capable of winning when guys are playing well around him. That sounds simple, but MOST QBs are not.

He's carrying the team, offensively right now. He also seems to have some nice qualities of leadership and a winning touch.

To me, you extend him... and your worst case scenario at QB over the next 5 years is that you have a pretty good QB. That's a nice insurance policy for a franchise.
I disagree. He's still inconsistent on his throws. He threw one INT and he could have easily thrown another but the DB dropped the pass, it was an easy pick six. Sorry, those types of throws are gonna kill the team on down the road.

The WRs are playing FANTASTIC and they are catching Orton's crappy throws, so give them props.

People here just need to chill out and let the season ride...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
But, I think we saw enough last year and this year to know he's definitely capable of winning when guys are playing well around him. That sounds simple, but MOST QBs are not.

He's carrying the team, offensively right now. He also seems to have some nice qualities of leadership and a winning touch.

To me, you extend him... and your worst case scenario at QB over the next 5 years is that you have a pretty good QB. That's a nice insurance policy for a franchise.
He hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Makes no sense to resign him now.

The actual worse case scenario is that you extend him now, he gets injured again, Tebow beats him out, the salary cap is reinstated, and you're stuck paying out a 5 year starting QB's contract to your backup.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

The WRs are playing FANTASTIC and they are catching Orton's crappy throws, so give them props.
....and this is moronic.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,733
Default

Let it ride.

No sense in signing him to a potentially albatross of a contract now.

I'm sure the Faid will come knocking with Javon Walker money soon.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I disagree. He's still inconsistent on his throws. He threw one INT and he could have easily thrown another but the DB dropped the pass, it was an easy pick six. Sorry, those types of throws are gonna kill the team on down the road.

The WRs are playing FANTASTIC and they are catching Orton's crappy throws, so give them props.

People here just need to chill out and let the season ride...
Man you are a complete ****ing douche.

Orton has crappy throws, same as every other QB in the league, but he has more great throws than crappy ones and WRs are not "bailing" him out anymore than any other teams WRs.

****ing dumb ****.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
....and this is moronic.
Are you watching the games? How come Lloyd looks so fuggin great? It's because he has to be a freak to pull in some of Orton's inaccurate throws.

How's the redzone scoring again? Not good...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Man you are a complete ****ing douche.

Orton has crappy throws, same as every other QB in the league, but he has more great throws than crappy ones and WRs are not "bailing" him out anymore than any other teams WRs.

****ing dumb ****.
He's not worth a big extension, not now. I'll wait until the season is over before I say he's worth a multi million dollar extension. What is so unreasonable about that?

I was a big on Orton when many here wanted to throw him under the bus. I still love the guy but he still makes head scratching throws. Much of the blame for this falls on the bad running game but still...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Are you watching the games? How come Lloyd looks so fuggin great? It's because he has to be a freak to pull in some of Orton's inaccurate throws.

How's the redzone scoring again? Not good...
Hows that running game again? Oh yeah non-****ing-existant. Thats the red zone issue you dumb ****.

Im so sick of you panty waste pussies on this board. Its ****ing ridiculous this year. Anything you can say to bash the QB who is breaking NFL ****ing records, its old, tired and disgraceful.

Its like you want the team to ****ing fail and its disgusting.

Get the **** out of here and go root for the Foreskins or Cubs.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,070
Default

No need to extend his deal....he is locked up this year and next.

Let's see how things play out for the next year or two.

It's not like he is going to walk if Denver wants to keep him.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
Champagne Powder
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 313

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Broncos should offer:

8 years, $120 million, $70 million guaranteed
Champagne Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Hows that running game again? Oh yeah non-****ing-existant. Thats the red zone issue you dumb ****.

Im so sick of you panty waste pussies on this board. Its ****ing ridiculous this year. Anything you can say to bash the QB who is breaking NFL ****ing records, its old, tired and disgraceful.

Its like you want the team to ****ing fail and its disgusting.

Get the **** out of here and go root for the Foreskins or Cubs.


Yah, saying that Orton does not deserve a multi-million dollar/multi year contract is unreasonable because we are 4 games into his second season, whatever...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8/11/2010 PM Observations theAPAOps5 Orange Mane Central Discussion 86 08-12-2010 03:56 PM
Woody and Kisla thinks we should trade Orton BroncoSojia Orange Mane Central Discussion 139 06-07-2010 06:32 AM
Will Orton be benched.... baja Orange Mane Central Discussion 22 08-15-2009 11:26 PM
**Warning - Long, Rational Post** Statistically analyzing Cutler vs. Orton RubberDuckie24 Orange Mane Central Discussion 135 04-04-2009 08:00 PM
Orton already at work at Dove Valley montrose Orange Mane Central Discussion 141 04-04-2009 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Denver Broncos