The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Zone Blocking Scheme

Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
Plus our short yardage/goaline running was equally as bad with the ZBS.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
I'm talking about the running game Kaylore ... why not just zone block when you're running the ball? I like the man to man pass protection, but why not just zone block when running the ball like before ??
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Plus our short yardage/goaline running was equally as bad with the ZBS.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Ummm did you watch the Broncos in 2007 and 2008?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
A team went 18-0 with this very same offense.

And got smacked the **** down in the Super Bowl because the defense knew they didn't have to fear the run.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You don't have to remember far back. We stunk it up the last 3 years or so in the red zone with zone blocking under Shanny. It worked great in 97/98 because we had outstanding players on the OL. When the talent level dropped so did the red zone effectiveness. In tight spaces, you have to move the guy across from you, pure and simple. Finesse doesn't get it done. That is why we struggled with physical teams. I think when McD came to Denver, it stood out like a sore thumb. Hence the transition to physical OL - similar to NE.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Happy Birthday Crushaholic!
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
And got smacked the **** down in the Super Bowl because the defense knew they didn't have to fear the run.
I bolded the stupid part of your argument.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Ummm did you watch the Broncos in 2007 and 2008?
So this is better?

Hell, at least those teams could score a rushing TD once in awhile from farther than 1 yard out.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
So this is better?

Hell, at least those teams could score a rushing TD once in awhile from farther than 1 yard out.
No they couldn't, not on the ground. And where did I say it is better?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:

How can you say that as a bad thing? Are you so blinded by immaturity and hatred?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
You have watched the short yardage and red zone performances over the last decade right?

Look, the OL is young and in the very beginning stages of a new system. People need to relax. These things take time, but I love the direction we're headed, and vastly prefer big beefy OL to the finesse scheme that we were running.

The league has passed the ZBS by, and we saw the futility of trying to hold onto it for comfort's sake over the last decade.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You have watched the short yardage and red zone performances over the last decade right?

Look, the OL is young and in the very beginning stages of a new system. People need to relax. These things take time, but I love the direction we're headed, and vastly prefer big beefy OL to the finesse scheme that we were running.

The league has passed the ZBS by, and we saw the futility of trying to hold onto it for comfort's sake over the last decade.
Yes I have watched us struggle on short yardage and red zone running the ball when we played the ZBS. However, we currently have 3 big starters (Harris, Clady and Kuper) who are powerful and more than capable of playing this scheme (and I do think they are better at it instead of the power scheme). Why not just zone block when running the ball with this offensive line instead of trying to teach them something they weren't accustomed to or isn't working.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I'm talking about the running game Kaylore ... why not just zone block when you're running the ball? I like the man to man pass protection, but why not just zone block when running the ball like before ??
So bring another set of 4 guys that are 30 pounds lighter to let the other team know we are running and it will be a ZBS. Sure, that will work.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
You can't really be dumb enough to use this as a reason not to run this offense are you?

Seriously, please tell me you forgot your [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

B/C if that really is what you're saying, well, there just aren't words to describe how dumb that is.

Seriously. That's dumb. Like hand in a running blender, knife in a toaster, hairdryer in a bath tub, stupid.

Like, it really doesn't get dumber. Like painful to think that you're allowed near a computer dumb.

Seriously.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
You can't really be dumb enough to use this as a reason not to run this offense are you?

B/C if that really is what you're saying, well, there just aren't words to describe how dumb that is.

Seriously. That's dumb. Like hand in a running blender, knife in a toaster, hairdryer in a bath tub, stupid.

Like, it really doesn't get dumber. Like painful to think that you're allowed near a computer dumb.

Seriously.
Plus NE didn't get "smacked the **** down" in the Super Bowl. Apparently he didn't watch that either.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Was that in 2008 when we were 1st sacks given up or 2005 and 2004 when we were 3rd in sacks given up?
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
So bring another set of guys that are 30 pounds lighter to let the other team know we are running and it will be a ZBS. Sure, that will work.
No. Stay with the same guys. Remember Shanahan drafted Harris, Kuper and Clady and they're pretty damn good playing the ZBS. I'm definitely sure the other 2 guys (Walton and Beadles would do well too).

This is just my opinion and I stand by it. It's dissapointing to see this team struggle to run the ball
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

what was the problem with our offense with Shanny?
move the ball down the field but struggle in the redzone

what is our problem on offense now?
move the ball down the field but struggle in the redzone

I fail to see how a zone blocking scheme would help that when we used to run it and had the same problems

personally I think PBS and ZBS both have their pros and cons, I think both can work

but implying a ZBS to help with redzone woes doesnt seem like a good strategy
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:

Seriously.
Feel better?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Yes I have watched us struggle on short yardage and red zone running the ball when we played the ZBS. However, we currently have 3 big starters (Harris, Clady and Kuper) who are powerful and more than capable of playing this scheme (and I do think they are better at it instead of the power scheme). Why not just zone block when running the ball with this offensive line instead of trying to teach them something they weren't accustomed to or isn't working.
Actually, we have 0 big OL at 100%, and one of those (the best run blocker) hasn't seen the field at all. Add in 2 rookies, and regardless of the scheme there are going to be struggles.

The ZBS doesn't work in the NFL any more. You're basically asking whether we should commit to continued mediocrity in favor of struggling now for a chance at actually being competitive for championships again in the long run.

I'll take the latter.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Plus NE didn't get "smacked the **** down" in the Super Bowl. Apparently he didn't watch that either.
14 points by the greatest offense the league had ever seen.

Brady eating turf every other play.

Did you watch it?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just turn your television on tonight, and you'll see why its not smart to try to use a ZBS system in a pass-heavy offense. Rodgers gets killed because of it. As did Plummer in 2007.

Zone blocking was specifically designed to counteract the 4-3 movement in the 90s, and it flourished. It was strictly designed to counteract the idea of four guys directly on the line of scrimmage, with defenders sitting in the same specific assignment lanes play after play. It was perfect against the Tampa Two and other 4-3 schemed defenses.

Now that the 3-4 has taken hold again, its no surprise that strictly ZBS run-blocking systems have failed to produce, especially in the red zone. Defenders are switching gaps, and with just three down linemen, there's more players on the defense that aren't immediately engaged, making cut back blocks more difficult.

While none of us like the execution of the current system, moving away from a completely ZBS oriented system was necessary.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote