The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 966
Default Zone Blocking Scheme

Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,333

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
Plus our short yardage/goaline running was equally as bad with the ZBS.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
I'm talking about the running game Kaylore ... why not just zone block when you're running the ball? I like the man to man pass protection, but why not just zone block when running the ball like before ??
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Plus our short yardage/goaline running was equally as bad with the ZBS.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Ummm did you watch the Broncos in 2007 and 2008?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
A team went 18-0 with this very same offense.

And got smacked the **** down in the Super Bowl because the defense knew they didn't have to fear the run.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
You don't have to remember far back. We stunk it up the last 3 years or so in the red zone with zone blocking under Shanny. It worked great in 97/98 because we had outstanding players on the OL. When the talent level dropped so did the red zone effectiveness. In tight spaces, you have to move the guy across from you, pure and simple. Finesse doesn't get it done. That is why we struggled with physical teams. I think when McD came to Denver, it stood out like a sore thumb. Hence the transition to physical OL - similar to NE.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
briane
Seasoned Veteran
 
briane's Avatar
 
http://www.privatepostmark.com

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 384

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Happy Birthday Crushaholic!
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
A team went 18-0 with this very same offense.
And got smacked the **** down in the Super Bowl because the defense knew they didn't have to fear the run.
I bolded the stupid part of your argument.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Ummm did you watch the Broncos in 2007 and 2008?
So this is better?

Hell, at least those teams could score a rushing TD once in awhile from farther than 1 yard out.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
So this is better?

Hell, at least those teams could score a rushing TD once in awhile from farther than 1 yard out.
No they couldn't, not on the ground. And where did I say it is better?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
A team went 18-0 with this very same offense.

And got smacked the **** down in the Super Bowl because the defense knew they didn't have to fear the run.
How can you say that as a bad thing? Are you so blinded by immaturity and hatred?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Anybody else think we should've left it as it was and never changed it to a power blocking scheme ?? I dunno about everyone else, but it's so frustrating having to watch us struggle to run the ball. I don't understand why McDaniels even ****ed around and changed it when it was working best for us ... I'm tired of this 50 yard rushing per game crap.
You have watched the short yardage and red zone performances over the last decade right?

Look, the OL is young and in the very beginning stages of a new system. People need to relax. These things take time, but I love the direction we're headed, and vastly prefer big beefy OL to the finesse scheme that we were running.

The league has passed the ZBS by, and we saw the futility of trying to hold onto it for comfort's sake over the last decade.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You have watched the short yardage and red zone performances over the last decade right?

Look, the OL is young and in the very beginning stages of a new system. People need to relax. These things take time, but I love the direction we're headed, and vastly prefer big beefy OL to the finesse scheme that we were running.

The league has passed the ZBS by, and we saw the futility of trying to hold onto it for comfort's sake over the last decade.
Yes I have watched us struggle on short yardage and red zone running the ball when we played the ZBS. However, we currently have 3 big starters (Harris, Clady and Kuper) who are powerful and more than capable of playing this scheme (and I do think they are better at it instead of the power scheme). Why not just zone block when running the ball with this offensive line instead of trying to teach them something they weren't accustomed to or isn't working.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,384

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
I'm talking about the running game Kaylore ... why not just zone block when you're running the ball? I like the man to man pass protection, but why not just zone block when running the ball like before ??
So bring another set of 4 guys that are 30 pounds lighter to let the other team know we are running and it will be a ZBS. Sure, that will work.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
A team went 18-0 with this very same offense.
You can't really be dumb enough to use this as a reason not to run this offense are you?

Seriously, please tell me you forgot your [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

B/C if that really is what you're saying, well, there just aren't words to describe how dumb that is.

Seriously. That's dumb. Like hand in a running blender, knife in a toaster, hairdryer in a bath tub, stupid.

Like, it really doesn't get dumber. Like painful to think that you're allowed near a computer dumb.

Seriously.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You can't really be dumb enough to use this as a reason not to run this offense are you?

Seriously, please tell me you forgot your [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

B/C if that really is what you're saying, well, there just aren't words to describe how dumb that is.

Seriously. That's dumb. Like hand in a running blender, knife in a toaster, hairdryer in a bath tub, stupid.

Like, it really doesn't get dumber. Like painful to think that you're allowed near a computer dumb.

Seriously.
Plus NE didn't get "smacked the **** down" in the Super Bowl. Apparently he didn't watch that either.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer
 
Lev Vyvanse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No because pass pro sucked with those tiny linemen. If there's one thing you should appreciate about our line it's that we are big and hard to pass rush. In a pass happy league I'd rather be good pass blockers than run blockers.
Was that in 2008 when we were 1st sacks given up or 2005 and 2004 when we were 3rd in sacks given up?
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
So bring another set of guys that are 30 pounds lighter to let the other team know we are running and it will be a ZBS. Sure, that will work.
No. Stay with the same guys. Remember Shanahan drafted Harris, Kuper and Clady and they're pretty damn good playing the ZBS. I'm definitely sure the other 2 guys (Walton and Beadles would do well too).

This is just my opinion and I stand by it. It's dissapointing to see this team struggle to run the ball
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,754
Default

what was the problem with our offense with Shanny?
move the ball down the field but struggle in the redzone

what is our problem on offense now?
move the ball down the field but struggle in the redzone

I fail to see how a zone blocking scheme would help that when we used to run it and had the same problems

personally I think PBS and ZBS both have their pros and cons, I think both can work

but implying a ZBS to help with redzone woes doesnt seem like a good strategy
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You can't really be dumb enough to use this as a reason not to run this offense are you?

Seriously, please tell me you forgot your [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

B/C if that really is what you're saying, well, there just aren't words to describe how dumb that is.

Seriously. That's dumb. Like hand in a running blender, knife in a toaster, hairdryer in a bath tub, stupid.

Like, it really doesn't get dumber. Like painful to think that you're allowed near a computer dumb.

Seriously.
Feel better?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Yes I have watched us struggle on short yardage and red zone running the ball when we played the ZBS. However, we currently have 3 big starters (Harris, Clady and Kuper) who are powerful and more than capable of playing this scheme (and I do think they are better at it instead of the power scheme). Why not just zone block when running the ball with this offensive line instead of trying to teach them something they weren't accustomed to or isn't working.
Actually, we have 0 big OL at 100%, and one of those (the best run blocker) hasn't seen the field at all. Add in 2 rookies, and regardless of the scheme there are going to be struggles.

The ZBS doesn't work in the NFL any more. You're basically asking whether we should commit to continued mediocrity in favor of struggling now for a chance at actually being competitive for championships again in the long run.

I'll take the latter.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Plus NE didn't get "smacked the **** down" in the Super Bowl. Apparently he didn't watch that either.
14 points by the greatest offense the league had ever seen.

Brady eating turf every other play.

Did you watch it?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer
 
Missouribronc's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,647

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Just turn your television on tonight, and you'll see why its not smart to try to use a ZBS system in a pass-heavy offense. Rodgers gets killed because of it. As did Plummer in 2007.

Zone blocking was specifically designed to counteract the 4-3 movement in the 90s, and it flourished. It was strictly designed to counteract the idea of four guys directly on the line of scrimmage, with defenders sitting in the same specific assignment lanes play after play. It was perfect against the Tampa Two and other 4-3 schemed defenses.

Now that the 3-4 has taken hold again, its no surprise that strictly ZBS run-blocking systems have failed to produce, especially in the red zone. Defenders are switching gaps, and with just three down linemen, there's more players on the defense that aren't immediately engaged, making cut back blocks more difficult.

While none of us like the execution of the current system, moving away from a completely ZBS oriented system was necessary.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
broncos moving to full time power blocking scheme tsiguy96 Orange Mane Central Discussion 58 01-25-2010 01:41 AM
Broncos couldn't stop their own old blocking scheme oubronco Orange Mane Central Discussion 12 12-22-2009 12:08 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Denver Broncos