The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos passing game flying high

Broncos passing game flying high

Orton has six targets to choose from as Denver faces Indy today
Associated Press
Posted: 09/25/2010 11:58:00 PM MDT

ENGLEWOOD -- Brandon Marshall caught an NFL record 21 passes the last time the Denver Broncos faced the Indianapolis Colts. Marshall is in Miami now, his three 100-catch seasons, two Pro Bowl trips and all the drama he brought to Dove Valley now a distant memory.

And guess what? The Broncos` passing game is better without him.

Kyle Orton spreads the ball around more, Eddie Royal is making catches again, Brandon Lloyd is thriving as a deep threat, rookie Demaryius Thomas brings the size and skills -- but not the headaches -- that remind so many around the organization of Marshall.

Add Jabar Gaffney, Matt Willis and Eric Decker to the mix. None of these six are what you would call a No. 1 receiver or a go-to guy. But few teams can match the Broncos` depth.

"I look at it," said Orton, "like we have a lot of really good receivers, guys that have a lot of talent, that if they were on other teams maybe they would be the main focus of the offense. But we`ve got a lot of guys that we want to get the ball to in a lot of different rolesand a lot of different ways."

The Colts (1-1), who visit the Broncos (1-1) today, have sure noticed the difference from December when they beat Denver 28-16 despite Marshall`s 21 grabs for 200 yards.

"Brandon Marshall, don`t get me wrong, is an elite receiver and doing a tremendous job in Miami right now, but they`ve got a good group of receivers," Colts cornerback Jerraud Powers said. "Orton`s in the top three in passing, so they haven`t missed a beat."

Of course, the Broncos receiver who will be on everyone`s mind at the game is Kenny McKinley, the former South Carolina star who died Monday of a gunshot to the head at his home near the Broncos` headquarters. Investigators suspect the second-year pro committed suicide after being depressed over his second straight season-ending knee surgery last month.

Friends, family members and those who played with him in the NFL or college have all said they didn`t see any warning signs from the gregarious 23-year-old with a quick wit and incessant smile that apparently hid his inner demons.

"Kenny will always be with us," Broncos safety Brian Dawkins said. "That will never change."

After a team meeting Tuesday where they spoke with grief counselors, the Broncos returned to work with heavy hearts.

While the Broncos` passing game is flying high, their ground game is still stuck in the mud, but they`re hoping the return of right guard Chris Kuper will help Correll Buckhalter and newcomer Laurence Maroney eat up yards and control the clock this week.

Starting tailback Knowshon Moreno, who has gained just 111 yards on 39 carries for 2.8-yard average, pulled his left hamstring in practice Thursday and won`t play against the Colts. And neither will right tackle Ryan Harris, who`s still dealing with a sprained left ankle.

Nine-time Pro Bowler Champ Bailey (heel) and Andre Goodman (thigh) returned to practice Friday, but it`s unclear if they or rookie cornerbacks Perrish Cox, Cassius Vaughn and Syd`Quan Thompson will face four-time MVP Peyton Manning.

Two Colts starters out

Two Colts starters, receiver Pierre Garcon and linebacker Clint Session, did not travel to Denver and will not play in today`s game against the Broncos.

Backup defensive back Brandon King also did not make the trip.

All three have been hindered by hamstring injuries this week.

The Colts had already ruled out three other players -- receiver Anthony Gonzalez, linebacker Ramon Humber and safety Bob Sanders -- against the Broncos.

http://www.dailycamera.com/broncos-nfl/ci_16176833

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 09-26-2010 at 04:01 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sanders being out will help a bit but those Indy pass rushers are quick. I am worried about Freeny and Mathis going outside and around on our tackles.

I predict Orton will be getting ball out quick and we won't go down the field as much this game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The running game needs to show up.

Staying in manageable third downs and distances will be key.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I think it a little to early for folks to proclaim that the passing game is better then when we had Marshall on the team. It has been two games - one against a secondary that was very bad and one against a team that didn't have any pass rushing ability. It won't be until the 6/7 game we know how much talent is actually on the team.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I think it a little to early for folks to proclaim that the passing game is better then when we had Marshall on the team. It has been two games - one against a secondary that was very bad and one against a team that didn't have any pass rushing ability. It won't be until the 6/7 game we know how much talent is actually on the team.
You meant the sixth or seventh game of the season, and not the June seventh game, right?

Well of course we should wait. We thought the '08 offense was good the first five games of the year and then it imploded into mediocrity the rest of the year. If we do the same, then yes it won't be as good. The good news is once we get the line a bit healthier things should pick up.

Passing on the Colts is not smart, though. I've read some posts saying we should throw because that's what we do well, but it isn't. The Colts tee off on every down. They sell out to defend the pass every play (except maybe in short yardage) and worry about the run second. With a gimpy left tackle and a rookie at RT, I don't like the idea of throwing more than fifteen times in this game.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You meant the sixth or seventh game of the season, and not the June seventh game, right?

Well of course we should wait. We thought the '08 offense was good the first five games of the year and then it imploded into mediocrity the rest of the year. If we do the same, then yes it won't be as good. The good news is once we get the line a bit healthier things should pick up.

Passing on the Colts is not smart, though. I've read some posts saying we should throw because that's what we do well, but it isn't. The Colts tee off on every down. They sell out to defend the pass every play (except maybe in short yardage) and worry about the run second. With a gimpy left tackle and a rookie at RT, I don't like the idea of throwing more than fifteen times in this game.
that is nonsense...

you need to be able to run the ball 50 times to do that, and with the production denver has gotten so far, thats not gonna work. you do what you do best.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I can't even remember the last time we wont at Kansas City in June.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
that is nonsense...

you need to be able to run the ball 50 times to do that, and with the production denver has gotten so far, thats not gonna work. you do what you do best.
Not really. Not with McDaniels. First of all, his run to pass ratio has been 50/50 this season and most of last season. Secondly, he's built this team specifically to "Do the things we need to do to beat the opponent that week even if that means changing your style." He then went on to say if that means throwing more, then they do that. If that means playing a 4-3 instead of a 3-4, then that is what they do. This will never be a team that finds something they do well and they just stick to it every game.

Certainly I'm not suggesting we never pass and just abandon it out of fear. We do have good receivers who are difficult to cover. I'm just saying with these tackles against these ends, a bunch of 7 or 5 step drops are going to get you killed. I think when you pass, you have to do so in short yardage situations, not unlike last week, and you have to get rid of the ball quickly. I expect we'll have a game plan where we try to move the ball in quick burst of three to five yards and throw very sparingly. If you think we'll throw a ton, or that we need to, look what happened to the Giants who tried that last week. Maybe you'll be right. We'll have to see what the coach tries on Sunday and then evaluate.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
I don't like the idea of throwing more than fifteen times in this game.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

They're gonna have to run the ball to keep the defense honest.

Who knows?

Maybe the Colts run defense is what the running game needs for a big game.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I am so bummed Knowshon is out this would have been an ideal game for him to run wild.

Well maybe Buck or Brown or Maroney or Tebow will
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I am so bummed Knowshon is out this would have been an ideal game for him to run wild.

Well maybe Buck or Brown or Maroney or Tebow will
A dancer isn't the answer against Indy. Power has always gobbled them up. They always have a speedy LB corps so the answer is to get downhill quick. Any RB will succeed equally in this game, I think. It all comes down to the holes.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

andre brown gonna be nasty today!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Why would people hate to read good things about our QB?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
A dancer isn't the answer against Indy. Power has always gobbled them up. They always have a speedy LB corps so the answer is to get downhill quick. Any RB will succeed equally in this game, I think. It all comes down to the holes.
Agreed.

They need to shelve the long developing running plays for this week.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Seatlles pash rush ate ALex Smith alive the week before and frequently collapsed the SF pocket. Just maybe our Oline with Graham helping Beadlejuice on the right side and Clady having another week to get right was really stout on pass protection.

That is what it looked like to me last week. Now we only need a similar improvement in run blocking and we'll be good to go. Have to sustain another 4 or 5 80 yard 7+ minute drives with TDs on the end of each again today. If we do that we have a real chance to win this thing.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Perhaps Kaylore has a point. Maybe our beefier o-line will allow the Broncos to overpower the Colts d-line and just run straight at him. However, also like Kaylore said, McD could do something just completely crazy and different from what we've ever seen done. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow out there with Orton going out wide, trick plays, etc, etc. Should be a fun game.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
You think KM is a dancer?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Seatlles pash rush ate ALex Smith alive the week before and frequently collapsed the SF pocket. Just maybe our Oline with Graham helping Beadlejuice on the right side and Clady having another week to get right was really stout on pass protection.

That is what it looked like to me last week. Now we only need a similar improvement in run blocking and we'll be good to go. Have to sustain another 4 or 5 80 yard 7+ minute drives with TDs on the end of each again today. If we do that we have a real chance to win this thing.
This is what I am thinking also and both Clady and the rook have had another week to improve on there issues.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post

Seattle went with 3 DT last week and Jackson. They were built to stop the run first and foremost. The line did fine, but they didn't have face a DE that worth **** in pass rush department. Today is different story.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Why would people hate to read good things about our QB?
.............................. [you] .................................................. ..>
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
.............................. [you] .................................................. ..>
Right...good talk
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You think KM is a dancer?
While gifted, he does have a very annoying running style that results in alot of yards left on the field.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote