The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default 2014 Free Agency Day One Winners and Losers

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...012758333.html

Winners

Denver Broncos -- Denver, coming off a Super Bowl loss, made two enormous signings and appear set to make a third. The first two were in the secondary. Safety T.J. Ward, an impact player from Cleveland, signed for $23 million. Then the big bombshell: Cornerback Aqib Talib, formerly of the Patriots, for $57 million. Nobody saw that coming. The Broncos also emerged as the front-runners for pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, cut by Dallas. Ware has a visit to Denver scheduled, and usually that's the first step toward a contract. Ware and Von Miller, if healthy, would make a devastating pass-rush duo.

Losers

AFC West, aside from Denver: While the Broncos were letting it fly in free agency, the three teams chasing them did almost nothing.

The Chiefs had five of their own key players sign elsewhere, including three starting offensive linemen in the first hour. The Chargers' first signing came just before midnight on the East Coast, when they signed running back Donald Brown to a reported $10.5 million deal ... even though they have Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead already and a ton of holes on defense. And the Raiders, well, somehow the Raiders lost Lamarr Houston, Jared Veldheer and Rashad Jennings despite having $10 million more in cap space than everyone else.

The gap between the Broncos and the rest of the AFC West is becoming a canyon.

Raiders -- Their decision-making at left tackle is absolutely mind-boggling. They let Jared Veldheer (26 years old/drafted in house/was franchise-tag eligible) walk to the Cardinals instead of using the franchise tag on him. The tag isn't the best solution in the world and if you don't believe in a guy, you don't believe in a guy. But they then took a large chunk of their cap money and plunked it down on Rodger Saffold, paying him $42.5 million like he was a franchise left tackle. Don't worry, they fixed everything by bringing back Darren McFadden. It doesn't matter how much they paid him (answer: not a lot), it's just a hard sell on how you spend when the guy in question took so much money out of the franchise's pockets. To top it off, they let Lamarr Houston waltz away to the Bears. I get the idea that Reggie McKenzie wants to purge the roster, but the Raiders simply continue to look like a black hole.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I swear, if you put a random football fan in charge of the Raiders with the cap room they had that random fan would put a better team on the field than the people in charge.

I miss the days when Oakland vs Denver was fun and looked forward to. Oakland was always the best rivalry, KC and San Diego are just cheap imitation fill ins.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

would love to see us bring in Ware/Allen, Champ @ vet min for FS / nickel, and maybe Cromartie or Brandon Browner at low $ for CB2. The off to the draft...
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Bronco Yoda

Me thinks Champ is too proud to come back at vet min. Hope I'm wrong.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's so awesome having Elway at the helm... I was trying to explain it to my wife - watching Elway every sunday growing up. Watching all the Mile High Magic when it still really, truly existed. Watching three crushing Superbowl losses, but never losing faith in the Duke of Denver. Watching back to back Superbowl domination... and now, to have him in control of the team and calling the shots... And for me to be back where I was, a crushing loss, but still believing... This is almost unbelievable to me.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Me thinks Champ is too proud to come back at vet min. Hope I'm wrong.
Silly to think he would sign anywhere for the vet minimum. He has earned more than that on reputation alone. He will make a few million per year.
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

I think signing Champ to a 3 year 9 million contract would be a steal.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
HELLHAMMER
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
would love to see us bring in Ware/Allen, Champ @ vet min for FS / nickel, and maybe Cromartie or Brandon Browner at low $ for CB2. The off to the draft...
How do you reckon they pay for all that?

HELLHAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
stoxman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Cromartie is the antithesis of big hitting, physical Talib...no thanks. Brandon Browner was my adopt a bronco and I was pissed we let him to to be a solid player elsewhere. I wouldn't mind him back but he obviously has off field issues as does Talib so might be too risky. Just no to Champ at this point. We have to move on. Ware/Allen is huge as is say Daryl Smith. Then we just need DRC/Harris and the draft and this Defense is back in business.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLHAMMER View Post
How do you reckon they pay for all that?

didn't stop us before brah

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/1...enver-cheated/

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Raiders... lol

You have to try really hard to have 60 million in cap sapce and make just about all the wrong moves. I mean seriously, just go after the top rated FA's and sign them to ridiculous contracts, chances are you improve. But they go and pay outrageous money to average players deliberately.

I hate Raiders fans because they are really scum. But just a tiny fraction of my soul has Empathy for them... their team is just flat out retarded.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I have no pity for the raiders, their organization, or their ridiculous fans.

The longer they are irrelevant, the happier I am.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
I have no pity for the raiders, their organization, or their ridiculous fans.

The longer they are irrelevant, the happier I am.
I second that!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote