The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Why are you so hard on Kyle Orton, Woody?

Broncos have fallen off national radar

Jason from Massachusetts asks Woody how the Broncos are perceived throughout the country.
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

I am a Broncos fan who lives near Boston. I listen to a lot of sports radio on my commute to work. This morning there was talk about the Laurence Maroney trade. The morning crew referred to the Broncos organization as a joke. They claim that Josh McDaniels likes anything that Bill Belichick ever got his hands on. They picked on Josh for wearing the hoodie, for signing Jarvis Green to guaranteed money and then cutting him, for moving up and drafting Tim Tebow and for (the Maroney) trade. They even went so far as to blast the organization for picking up Chad Jackson in 2008 at one point (although I don't believe that McDaniels was there yet). It made me sick to my stomach to listen to, as does most Patriots talk. But it got me thinking. Is this the perception of the Broncos organization across the country, and are those thoughts starting to creep into Denver? I like the direction that Josh is taking the team, but I think he just needs some time, which is often a luxury teams can't afford in the win-now NFL. What are your thoughts? Jason, Haverhill, Mass

Jason: Doing the ESPN show "Around The Horn" every day, several other shows on ESPN and other networks regularly, and a dozen or so radio shows in various markets throughout the country every week, I think I get a sense of the national pulse. Few (almost none) of the commentators and NFL fans care about the Broncos.

Except for the signing of Tim Tebow, there's no interest in the Broncos beyond the Colorado border (and among those few scattered Broncos loyalists elsewhere). The Broncos rarely come up in the shows (or the preshow discussions). The Broncos are irrelevant. Most people who do bring up Josh McDaniels put him a class with the other failed Bill Belichick-schooled assistants.

People outside Florida laughed when McDaniels traded up to get Tebow. People scoffed when he traded away the Broncos' two most noteworthy players. But the worst thing in life is apathy, and the world is apathetic when it comes to the Broncos. They really haven't been on the national radar since the Super Bowl championships. Even the year the Broncos were in the AFC championship game again (2005), there weren't considered a threat to win the Super Bowl.

It's understandable. They're a .500 team and franchise since 2006. They don't often appear on national games. Kyle Orton is not considered much of a quarterback, and the only players really known are Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins and Elvis Dumervil (because of his name and his sacks). You've got to win more than one division championship every 10 years. You've got to win at least an occasional playoff game to be in the discussion.

I actually had a dream recently that HBO couldn't get any team to do "Hard Knocks" next year, and the Jets said bring it on again. I know this: Josh McDaniels would never do "Hard Knocks," no matter how much attention the show brought to the Broncos. He's not that kind of guy or coach. The Broncos are not wide-open about what goes on inside the building.

Josh McDaniels will be a very good NFL head coach. It may take awhile and will depend on the heads of the Broncos' state and their patience. I don't think owner Pat Bowlen and CEO Joe Ellis would ever act quickly to fire Josh. He'll likely get another two years, at the very minimum, especially with the presence of Tebow, and I would guess McDaniels will be here for years and ultimately will be successful.

They'll give the coach time to develop the quarterback, and they're willing to wait, unless, suddenly, all the season-ticket holders vanished, and that won't happen. People will say, well, Bowlen fired Wade Phillips after two years. Wade was holding the chair until Mike Shanahan wanted the job. (He had turned it down before it was given to Wade.)

Bowlen bought the team in 1984. He had Dan Reeves as coach through 1992. Shanahan was head coach here from 1995 to 2008. Those thinking McDaniels is going away are totally wrong. He'll be here after they are gone.

Why are you so hard on Kyle Orton, Woody? What you said in the last mailbag made you look like a lost high school kid. Orton did lead the NFL in Week 1 in completions over 20 yards. What does Orton have to do to start to win you over? Andrew, Houston

Andrew: One of Orton's best friends recently asked me the same thing. Actually, he ordered me to. Pleasant fellow. I told him what I'll tell you. Orton needs to prove it over 16 games, not one, not two, not eight. He hasn't as a pro yet.

When he gets into a playoff game or a Pro Bowl as an NFL quarterback, then we'll talk. Let's see what he does in this four-game stretch before you and his friends declare Orton the No. 1 quarterback in the league. I wish I were a lost high school kid again. But I will never wish I lived in Houston.

As analysts try to evaluate the Broncos' 2009 draft class, I continue to see Knowshon Moreno lauded as a good pick. He's a starting back who last season rushed for fewer than 1,000 yards and even more shameful, under 4 yards a carry. He's too slow to break long runs and too weak to run through linebackers or safeties. Can you tell me the last great back to carry for less than 4 yards through a season? Am I the only one that feels this way about Moreno? Chris, Raleigh, N.C.

Chris: You are not alone in the wilderness. A lot of people who aren't in North Carolina agree with you. Knowshon continues to be a tentative runner who waits for a hole to open rather than getting into and through the hole. He hasn't had a long run yet (as a running back). He did have a 45-yard pass play on Sunday against the Seahawks. Oddly, enough, he just ran after catching the screen; he didn't stand around and think about running.

I charted every run Knowshon had last year, and, based on that, I'll tell you something you already knew with no research. A vast majority of his carries were for 0, 1 or 2 yards. I called him NoShow Moreno, NoGain Moreno. He has been hurt again but still hasn't shown a burst a speed, can't turn the corner and can't find the hole soon enough.

He won't be a bust, but he won't be a Pro Bowl back, which might, after all, make him a bust, since he was the No. 1 running back taken in the 2009 draft. However, frankly speaking, at the end of the day (as my former ESPN partner on "Dream Job," Stephen A. Smith would say), Moreno still has a chance.

Emmitt Smith, you may have heard of. He has the NFL record for all-time rushing yardage. In his rookie season, 1990, Emmitt rushed for 937 yards and had a 3.9-yard-per-carry average. He picked it up dramatically his second season. Moreno must, too.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16148413

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Woody is a moron. If I wasn't on my phone I'd quote any one of his long articles that he was paid a handsome wage to write that turned out to be completely wrong.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Ahahahaha...The Pro Bowl, Woody? He needs to make the Pro Bowl to prove anything to you? Quite the measuring stick.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I agree with you Woody and have said the same thing. Orton has always had a few good games. Consistency is his problem. Don't tell that to the people here though. He had a good game so now he is a top 5 QB! He led our offense to the bottom half of the league last year and proved that he is the future! Bronco fans don't care about winning anymore. Orton is a nice guy so you better just say he is the best QB ever and move on.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Ahahahaha...The Pro Bowl, Woody? He needs to make the Pro Bowl to prove anything to you? Quite the measuring stick.
beat me to it. what fking moron.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Guys, jhns ha made this his next 10 page project, think before acting!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Ooh nooo the Broncos don't get air time on ESPN! That's soooo bad for us!

Yeah who the **** cares moron!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Meh. Whatever.

Woody knows irrelevance, though. He hasn't been relevant since '96, when he pissed off the Jagwads enough to beat us in the playoffs.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Guys, jhns ha made this his next 10 page project, think before acting!
I know you are looking forward to it but it won't happen unless the thread is still active tomorrow. I will only be here for another 30 minutes or so. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Woody is a moron.
This.

Rasizer is the only Denver reporter worth paying attention to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/DEN
(since Schefter moved up)
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
This.

Rasizer is the only Denver reporter worth paying attention to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/DEN
(since Schefter moved up)
Nice, didn't know about that guy, but those are some solid takes.

NOTE TO JOSINA: THIS IS HOW YOU TWEET EFFECTIVELY.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I think Woody doesn't even write the stuff he puts his mane to anymore. His style has changed.

Last edited by baja; 09-23-2010 at 02:46 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Some of the things Woody stated is completely correct and others are an opinion. We arent on the radar screen anymore and are losing the national tv more and more as we become irrelevant. I dont agree on him and Orton. If that is his measuring stick, he better feel the same way on Cutler because he has no winning record, no playoff games and a pro bowl based on Rivers getting screwed.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

Sorry but any thread with "hard on" and "woody" in the title that gets past profanity filters is alright with me!
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Some of the things Woody stated is completely correct and others are an opinion. We arent on the radar screen anymore and are losing the national tv more and more as we become irrelevant. I dont agree on him and Orton. If that is his measuring stick, he better feel the same way on Cutler because he has no winning record, no playoff games and a pro bowl based on Rivers getting screwed.
Why would it matter what his measuring stick for Cutler is? Also, why show that you don't know football? It is pretty clear that if someone didn't belong in that pro bowl, it was Favre.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Woody is just saying what I've been saying for years here on the OMane. Shanny lead the team into mediocrity which breads apathy in the fan base.

Anyhow, didn't someone post a link here that showed the Broncos national popularity, weren't the Broncos in the top 10?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post

You'd be surprised at how many fans actually care about this and it's totally sad that they do.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

They are on the news here all week. Get out of the ****hole that is the east coast and move to Wyoming.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Does anyone else notice the irony of this woodrow article? He claims the Broncos are not relevent outside of Colorado then answers questions from idiots in Boston and North Carolina and Houston... oh the humanity!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Does anyone else notice the irony of this woodrow article? He claims the Broncos are not relevent outside of Colorado then answers questions from idiots in Boston and North Carolina and Houston... oh the humanity!

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

He's right about why we get no coverage. Yes, it's partly being in fly-over country, and yes, it's a lack of star power on the roster. Ultimately it's about winning and winning consistently. The teams that are in the hunt perennially are the ones that get the national coverage no matter what markets they are in. Whether it's big cities like New York or the small markets like Green Bay. If you win you get attention.

Hopefully we'll turn things around and begin to become a continued contender.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's right about why we get no coverage. Yes, it's partly being in fly-over country, and yes, it's a lack of star power on the roster. Ultimately it's about winning and winning consistently. The teams that are in the hunt perennially are the ones that get the national coverage no matter what markets they are in. Whether it's big cities like New York or the small markets like Green Bay. If you win you get attention.

Hopefully we'll turn things around and begin to become a continued contender.
Exactly. Indianapolis ain't on the coast folks.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone rj View Post
does anyone else notice the irony of this woodrow article? He claims the broncos are not relevent outside of colorado then answers questions from idiots in boston and north carolina and houston... Oh the humanity!

. Lol
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

The point is its hard to be patient for Denver fans when we have waited a long time for some true action. Playing in games on Sundays that aren't considered important, and realistically having no chance at the beginning of the year to win the Lombardi for quite a while is hard. Yes this weeks game will be important but can you honestly say we have any chance to win the Superbowl. Is Orton capable of leading this team to a title?

Right now you have to scratch this year and if Tebow takes over next you cant expect him to be ready to win it all. If Orton stays in an we upgrade some key spots we could be a solid playoff team next year. If all goes well (IF) this team will be ready for prime-time around 2013.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post

Actually it matters a lot, the NFL is a business, and more time on air means larger revenues.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote