The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Rumor: Wade Phillips To be Fired Monday?

http://prosportsblogging.com/nfl-foo...omment-page-1/

Rumour – Cowboys on the verge of firing Wade Phillips

Written by Kevin Lee
on September 22, 2010

UPDATE – 2pm EST – Jon Gruden has a clause in his MNF contract that won’t allow him to leave his analyst position to take the Cowboys HC position if Phillips was fired. As well, Tony Dungee has gone on record as saying he won’t coach this year.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who follows the NFL that Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips is on a short leash. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has gone on the record saying that the 0-2 start is “quite a setback” for the organization.

Word now comes from two great sources close to the organization that Jones is gauging interest from a few former NFL head coaches currently working on TV networks. CBS in-studio analyst Bill Cowher is Jones number one choice to replace Phillips. His second choice is NFL Network/Fox analyst Brian Billick. Both Cowher and Billick have Super Bowl rings, something Jones really wants to have when it comes to who will be leading his struggling team.

Many feel the players have tuned out Phillips and last Friday was a clear example of how this situation continues to snowball. Phillips got into details on Monday about Friday’s practice. “Do I think it could be better? Sure,” Phillips said. “Do I think we had a bad practice Friday? Yes, we told them that in the meeting. We went back over it and said, ‘Hey, we didn’t practice well enough.’” How does the same thing occur that has happened over the past two years under Phillips watch? Enough is enough and now is the time for Jones to pull the plug on him. It’s plain to see that the team has no identity and have tuned out Phillips.

I am told that if the Cowboys lose to the Houston Texans on Sunday that Jones won’t hesitate in firing Phillips. Two other possible candidates that have surfaced are Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Mariucci. Schottenheimer who last patrolled the sidelines for San Diego back in 2006-07, was fired by the Chargers in February of 2007. His 5-13 playoff record is definitely not appealing. While Mariucci has a 3-4 playoff record, he hasn’t coached since the 2005 season after a three year stint in Detroit.

Regardless, of what happens in Houston this Sunday, Jones needs to fire Phillips if he hopes to have his team in the playoffs come January. I for one truly believe one of the 4 names I have mentioned will be wearing that Star on their hat come early next week.

More to come as the week unfolds. I can be contacted at kevinlee@prosportsblogging.com anytime.

Kevin
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I doubt this is true right now... but give it a few weeks. He won't last the season.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Jason Garrett is the one they should fire.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

And while we're on it. Coughlin may make it through the season, but he won't be in NY next year.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Dukes
Ring of Famer

They should have gotten Shanny while they had the chance.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
And while we're on it. Coughlin may make it through the season, but he won't be in NY next year.
Mid-season trade: Wade Phillips for Tom Coughlin
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Mid-season trade: Wade Phillips for Tom Coughlin
The Lord of No Rings says no.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The Lord of No Rings says no.
Where does San Diego fit in?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I said Wade was going to be fired during the Washington game. No way the quick triggered Jones takes a wait and see on this.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Their play calling has definitely been questionable.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Silence View Post
They should have gotten Shanny while they had the chance.
I would bet almost anything they tried and Shanny turned them down.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Where does San Diego fit in?
I was yakking with you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think any coach who agrees to replace Phillips should understand that he is not the final say when it comes to the team. In other words, Jerra Jones can blame himself for all the HC's he's gone though since Jimma Johnson left because the players know they have to ultimately answer to Jerra.

If I was Jerra, I'd hire Marty Schottenheimer in a NY minute. He's a great coach to turn a team around. No way would I hire Billick (I think the Ravens won the SB in spite of his lousy coaching, and he never could produce a decent offense) and there's no way Bill Cowher works for a meddling owner like Jerra. Of all the coaches, Cowher is probably the best, but I just don't see him taking over a Dallas team that answers only to Jerra. The Cowboys are like the light version of the faiders. The owner isn't crazy, but he holds everyone's balls in the palm of his hand....
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I sure believe it, I mean they totally got Tony Dungy's name right....
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

No one here in the Dallas media, especially those that cover the Cowboys on a daily basis, has any idea who Kevin Lee is. No one. There is no way in hell that he has 2 "sources" corroborating this story. And to make it worse, a competing radio station here in town has taken this and run with it. They even went so far as to have Lee on their airwaves. They're actually the Cowboys flagship station and are rolling with this Nick Athan-like bull****. It's ****ing laughable. There are so many things wrong with his story and so many facts being ignored, it's ridiculous.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Poster over at Bucs Board

Quote:
So while I was driving around during work earlier, I was listening to 105.3 The Ticket (Dallas radio). And they had a guy from ProSportsBlogging who has a story today saying that by Monday, Wade Phillips will be fired. He said he has a number of respectable sources and the radio hosts agreed (and were surprised) that they were credible sources, but they wouldn't say who out of respect for those sources.

And they also reported that Bill Cowher or Brian Billick may replace Phillips.

This is all coming from ProSportsBlogging and they spent 30 minutes talking about PSB and their credibility and they ARE credible, but just not very well known nationally. They have full-season credentials with NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB teams and are respected amongst all the teams/leagues. Last year, they broke a big trade in the NHL before anyone else did.

Not saying it's going to happen, but it's out there. And about 1 hour after they were done interviewing Kevin Lee (who broke the story), they had a local media member saying that he believes ProSportsBlogging b/c he's been noticing some fishy stuf going around Valley Ranch.

This will either make or break ProSportsBlogging.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I bet Jerra is the source behind PSB's story. Seriously, think about it. How do you light a fire underneath your coache's ass, put a rumor out there that he's gonna be fired...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I bet Jerra is the source behind PSB's story. Seriously, think about it. How do you light a fire underneath your coache's ass, put a rumor out there that he's gonna be fired...
Wade is what he is, a fire will not change that.

He's a nice guy trying to coach a collection of spoiled millionaire brats glommed together by the egomaniac Jerry Jones.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wade is what he is, a fire will not change that.

He's a nice guy trying to coach a collection of spoiled millionaire brats glommed together by the egomaniac Jerry Jones.
Yah, maybe you're right. Heck, Wade is probably the one who put the rumor out there that he's gonna be fired. This is Wades passive aggressive way of telling Jerra to jump off a cliff...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The Cowboys are loaded with talent...but, it's no small feat to step into the head coaching role in the midst of a season. You'd be going in with none of your own coaches etc. That would mean all of the assistant coaches would be dead men walking...how well would that work? I'm thinking Shotz is the best candidate. He's tough, motivational and could handle the situtation with Jones.

When's their bye week...that would be the ideal time.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
The Cowboys are loaded with talent...but, it's no small feat to step into the head coaching role in the midst of a season. You'd be going in with none of your own coaches etc. That would mean all of the assistant coaches would be dead men walking...how well would that work? I'm thinking Shotz is the best candidate. He's tough, motivational and could handle the situtation with Jones.

When's their bye week...that would be the ideal time.
The head coach won't change, it'll still be Jerry Jones.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Romo is the one who should be fired
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Romo is the one who should be fired
Romo doesn't have what John Elway did have and I hope Kyle Orton has found and that's the ability to elevate your game when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Wait, so someone thinks that Jerry Jones contacted this nobody, Kevin Lee, and planted the story with him? Funny.

As for the Fan, they don't have people at Valley Ranch. They're not even journalists. The closest they come to what goes down each day at VR is when they send an engineer to plug in for the press conferences. The players don't know who they are. The coaches don't know who they are. Believe me, if there is more than one source coming out with something like this, then a blogger like Kevin Lee would be the absolute last person to hear about it. Hasn't it struck anyone as odd that no other outlet in DFW or the nation, for that matter, has picked up on this? No local papers. Not the local news. None of the guys from ESPN, Fox, Yahoo, SI, etc? One guy has it? And that guy is Kevin Lee?

Think about this - why would Jerry fire Wade, his head coach AND defensive coordinator, to bring in a new guy after 3 weeks? What, exactly, is that going to solve? A guy like Cowher or Gruden is going to want to have full say over their schemes, their staff, their coaches, their players. They'd be months behind in preparation and something like that would be completely detrimental to the team.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Yep. Firing Wade without Garrett is a joke. That would be like catching your best friend and your woman going at it. Then you divorce girl but keep the friend.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote