The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default Any good teams in the AFC?

This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

Were the Jets that overhyped?

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Can Pitt keep winning just relying on that D?

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.


Last edited by ZachKC; 09-22-2010 at 12:56 PM..
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Don't come in here talking trash, you little douche.

I kid.

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

This whole thread title thing is baffling...it won't take any version of thread title that describes what is inside. Ha.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,806
Default

I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.
heh search for a post by Kaylore on how to post on the Omane. There's a reason I don't start threads!
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
mkporter
Ring of Famer
 
mkporter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.
Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.
I think this is San Diego's last year to get something done.

I think the Stillers will probably be the team to beat this year, as much as it pains me to say it.

Being the homer that I am, I think the Broncos will go to the playoffs this year if we can get and stay healthy.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"
Awesome. Thanks!
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
mkporter
Ring of Famer
 
mkporter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

Were the Jets that overhyped?

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Can Pitt keep winning just relying on that D?

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.

The Jets were clearly over hyped. They were 9-7 last year by virtue of the Colts and Bengals laying down at the end of last year. They made a nice run in the playoffs, but they were a 7-9 or 8-8 team last year. Very good defense, but pretty suspect QB and receivers. Not saying they won't be good, but definitely over hyped.

I think the Steelers might be very tough to beat once Big Ben is back. Houston looks to be for real, and Indy will be there at the end like always. I don't know that the Bolts have it in them for a run. They kind of feel like the Patriots to me right now. Good enough to beat anybody, but not good enough to count on it.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 23,094

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Steelers are doing it without their star QB. They are for real....again. Ravens will be as well as those SD Chargers. Colts will probably show us why they are one of the top AFC teams again. 2 games in so dont get all punch drunk. Especially your Chiefs. Enjoy 2 and 0. Lucky for you, most teams that go on the road after a MNF game, lose and SF is that team.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The first 4 weeks usually seperate the good from the bad teams. Still need to see who is alive after that. Right now, their have been some upsets, but this is usally when teams that make big changes get their shocker games.

Still some really good teams in the AFC, just a lot of situational reasons why they have not played so well this far.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,010

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

It's early but for good teams I'd say: Hous, Indy, Pitt, NE, NY. Could be: Chargers, Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins, Jaguars.

There are definitely a lot of transition teams this year; Some are listed above.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Were the Jets that overhyped?
Yes. Are you surprised? They backed into the playoffs last year, largely thanks to Denver going 2-8 over the last 10, and caught a bunch of good breaks in the playoffs that made them look competitive.

Their team has no discipline, their offense has no legitimate weapons. The two big vet leaders on the offense were let go (Thomas Jones and Faneca).

Don't know why people thought they were going to show up and look like a powerhouse all of a sudden.

Quote:
The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.
They're without Sanders yet again and their front seven has been exposed as unable to handle the run. Manning and his receivers can carry them quite a ways, but they look like a worse match up for a well rounded playoff opponent than they did last year.

Quote:
I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.
All depends on that secondary for them. The front seven has talent, the offense is dangerous in all phases. There is no reason they shouldn't be a playoff team this year, but once they get into the dance the secondary needs to make sure an elite QB doesn't bust a nut all over their face.

Quote:
Can Pitt keep winning just relying on that D?
As long as they avoid teams that can pass the football at an elite level. Polamalu makes their D great, and the antics of Bendalf the Grey have the defense looking to reassert themselves as the guiding force of the franchise. I think their defense will ultimately be proven weak against a passing attack that can pick their corners apart in the short to intermediate range, negating their pass rush and keeping Polamalu as nothing more than a backup tackler. To do that you need a smart, efficient QB and WRs who create separation with limited space. Indy can do this, so can New England. Denver might, Miami has the WR in Marshall, so if Henne steps up they'll do well. Baltimore has all the pieces except the QB in place too. Won't be an easy road for Pittsburgh even with king sleeze back at QB.

Quote:
Chargers? Pats? Ravens?
Defense looks average at best, same, QB needs to show he's worthy of having all that high priced talent stacked around him.

Quote:
Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.
Its early and a lot of teams are hitting transitional points at the same time on various units.

People need to keep an eye on the Dolphins though. Marshall hasn't had a big game yet, but that's Brandon. He's average for weeks at a time and then drops a monster game with unbelievable plays to help win games when needed most. Henne is quickly becoming an impressive QB. The D is obviously a top 10 unit, very possibly a top 5 unit. And most importantly, they run the ball like no one else in the AFC with their tag team of Ronnie and Ricky. Not a team anyone should look forward to playing and if you get them at home you might get drubbed.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,513
Default

The teams that always scare me are the ones with good defenses and so far the Steelers and the Ravens are standing out for me. Jets too but their offense is such garbage that they're going to have to prove it more than one week for me.

It's way too early though. We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,856

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Not much has changed from my pre-season expectations....

NYJ & NE fight it out in the East.

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,856

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Not getting the Miami love at all....They will be fortunate to have 4 wins by mid-November.

Minny clearly out-played them..Favre just **** the bed at key moments.

Miami's upcoming schedule is utterly brutal....

NYJ
NE
@ GB
Pitt
@ Cin
@ Balt
Tenn
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Not much has changed from my pre-season expectations....

NYJ & NE fight it out in the East.

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.
Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.
Ya don't say!?!?!? Well, I think we'll know even better how the AFC stacks up after the season is over.

I kid, I kid...
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,856

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.
I'm not automatically just writing KC off b/c I'm a Bronco fan Zach.

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

KC looks to be turning it around on D, no doubt, but they are far from elite.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.
I would be absolutely shocked if Denver and San Diego comes down to a tie-breaker.
Heck I'll be shocked if we win 9 games.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
I'm not automatically just writing KC off b/c I'm a Bronco fan Zach.

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

KC looks to be turning it around on D, no doubt, but they are far from elite.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.
Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Way too early for this convo but based on the limited data available the only truly elite team I see in the AFC is Houston.

Their only glaring weakness is their secondary but their front seven is one of the best front sevens in football and they dont even have Cushing in there yet. Their offense is pretty damn remarkable as well and if Arian Foster is able to be consistent this year they are going to be a tough out for any team in the league.

Indy's defense sans Bob Sanders is highly suspect.

Baltimore is still Baltimore, meaning anywhere from 8-10 wins depending on how the ball bounces.

The Jets showed some offensive promise this past week against NE, and their defense is nasty but Im still not 100% convinced their offense is going to just be good every week.

Outside of that its a bunch of really average to slightly above average teams, including the entire AFC West.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?
Yeah, because KC wont sweep either Oakland or Denver, and will likely split with the Jags and Bills. Thats at best 3 wins right there.

JMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another worthless thread but what is offseason mode? azbroncfan Announcements, Features and Feedback 16 06-13-2007 03:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Denver Broncos