The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default Any good teams in the AFC?

This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

Were the Jets that overhyped?

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Can Pitt keep winning just relying on that D?

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.

Last edited by ZachKC; 09-22-2010 at 12:56 PM..
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Don't come in here talking trash, you little douche.

I kid.

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

This whole thread title thing is baffling...it won't take any version of thread title that describes what is inside. Ha.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.
heh search for a post by Kaylore on how to post on the Omane. There's a reason I don't start threads!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.
I think this is San Diego's last year to get something done.

I think the Stillers will probably be the team to beat this year, as much as it pains me to say it.

Being the homer that I am, I think the Broncos will go to the playoffs this year if we can get and stay healthy.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.

The Jets were clearly over hyped. They were 9-7 last year by virtue of the Colts and Bengals laying down at the end of last year. They made a nice run in the playoffs, but they were a 7-9 or 8-8 team last year. Very good defense, but pretty suspect QB and receivers. Not saying they won't be good, but definitely over hyped.

I think the Steelers might be very tough to beat once Big Ben is back. Houston looks to be for real, and Indy will be there at the end like always. I don't know that the Bolts have it in them for a run. They kind of feel like the Patriots to me right now. Good enough to beat anybody, but not good enough to count on it.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Steelers are doing it without their star QB. They are for real....again. Ravens will be as well as those SD Chargers. Colts will probably show us why they are one of the top AFC teams again. 2 games in so dont get all punch drunk. Especially your Chiefs. Enjoy 2 and 0. Lucky for you, most teams that go on the road after a MNF game, lose and SF is that team.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The first 4 weeks usually seperate the good from the bad teams. Still need to see who is alive after that. Right now, their have been some upsets, but this is usally when teams that make big changes get their shocker games.

Still some really good teams in the AFC, just a lot of situational reasons why they have not played so well this far.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's early but for good teams I'd say: Hous, Indy, Pitt, NE, NY. Could be: Chargers, Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins, Jaguars.

There are definitely a lot of transition teams this year; Some are listed above.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes. Are you surprised? They backed into the playoffs last year, largely thanks to Denver going 2-8 over the last 10, and caught a bunch of good breaks in the playoffs that made them look competitive.

Their team has no discipline, their offense has no legitimate weapons. The two big vet leaders on the offense were let go (Thomas Jones and Faneca).

Don't know why people thought they were going to show up and look like a powerhouse all of a sudden.

Quote:
They're without Sanders yet again and their front seven has been exposed as unable to handle the run. Manning and his receivers can carry them quite a ways, but they look like a worse match up for a well rounded playoff opponent than they did last year.

Quote:
All depends on that secondary for them. The front seven has talent, the offense is dangerous in all phases. There is no reason they shouldn't be a playoff team this year, but once they get into the dance the secondary needs to make sure an elite QB doesn't bust a nut all over their face.

Quote:
As long as they avoid teams that can pass the football at an elite level. Polamalu makes their D great, and the antics of Bendalf the Grey have the defense looking to reassert themselves as the guiding force of the franchise. I think their defense will ultimately be proven weak against a passing attack that can pick their corners apart in the short to intermediate range, negating their pass rush and keeping Polamalu as nothing more than a backup tackler. To do that you need a smart, efficient QB and WRs who create separation with limited space. Indy can do this, so can New England. Denver might, Miami has the WR in Marshall, so if Henne steps up they'll do well. Baltimore has all the pieces except the QB in place too. Won't be an easy road for Pittsburgh even with king sleeze back at QB.

Quote:
Chargers? Pats? Ravens?
Defense looks average at best, same, QB needs to show he's worthy of having all that high priced talent stacked around him.

Quote:
Its early and a lot of teams are hitting transitional points at the same time on various units.

People need to keep an eye on the Dolphins though. Marshall hasn't had a big game yet, but that's Brandon. He's average for weeks at a time and then drops a monster game with unbelievable plays to help win games when needed most. Henne is quickly becoming an impressive QB. The D is obviously a top 10 unit, very possibly a top 5 unit. And most importantly, they run the ball like no one else in the AFC with their tag team of Ronnie and Ricky. Not a team anyone should look forward to playing and if you get them at home you might get drubbed.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

The teams that always scare me are the ones with good defenses and so far the Steelers and the Ravens are standing out for me. Jets too but their offense is such garbage that they're going to have to prove it more than one week for me.

It's way too early though. We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Not much has changed from my pre-season expectations....

NYJ & NE fight it out in the East.

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Not getting the Miami love at all....They will be fortunate to have 4 wins by mid-November.

Minny clearly out-played them..Favre just **** the bed at key moments.

Miami's upcoming schedule is utterly brutal....

NYJ
NE
@ GB
Pitt
@ Cin
@ Balt
Tenn
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Not much has changed from my pre-season expectations....

NYJ & NE fight it out in the East.

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.
Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.
Ya don't say!?!?!? Well, I think we'll know even better how the AFC stacks up after the season is over.

I kid, I kid...
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.
I'm not automatically just writing KC off b/c I'm a Bronco fan Zach.

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

KC looks to be turning it around on D, no doubt, but they are far from elite.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
I would be absolutely shocked if Denver and San Diego comes down to a tie-breaker.
Heck I'll be shocked if we win 9 games.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
I'm not automatically just writing KC off b/c I'm a Bronco fan Zach.

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

KC looks to be turning it around on D, no doubt, but they are far from elite.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.
Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Way too early for this convo but based on the limited data available the only truly elite team I see in the AFC is Houston.

Their only glaring weakness is their secondary but their front seven is one of the best front sevens in football and they dont even have Cushing in there yet. Their offense is pretty damn remarkable as well and if Arian Foster is able to be consistent this year they are going to be a tough out for any team in the league.

Indy's defense sans Bob Sanders is highly suspect.

Baltimore is still Baltimore, meaning anywhere from 8-10 wins depending on how the ball bounces.

The Jets showed some offensive promise this past week against NE, and their defense is nasty but Im still not 100% convinced their offense is going to just be good every week.

Outside of that its a bunch of really average to slightly above average teams, including the entire AFC West.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?
Yeah, because KC wont sweep either Oakland or Denver, and will likely split with the Jags and Bills. Thats at best 3 wins right there.

JMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote