The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Champagne Powder
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Cassius Vaughn

Do a search, there has never been a thread devoted to the undrafted rookie free agent.

It was nice to see a long-shot make the 53-man because of special teams prowess and then come through with a big play.
Champagne Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah I mentioned him in the random thoughts thread. I am grateful he's on the team and Smith is not. Cassius no doubt would have been cut in favor of Alphonso Smith.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Vaughn is one of those guys that is constantly around the football.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

That play he made on STs was terrific.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah I mentioned him in the random thoughts thread. I am grateful he's on the team and Smith is not. Cassius no doubt would have been cut in favor of Alphonso Smith.
Another positive about missing on and dumping Smith is it sends a clear message to future high Bronco picks that nothing is guaranteed . Just because you are a high pick doesn't mean you automatically got a roster spot.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Again... who cares "what round" we found a player... as long as we find them.

Given, it's fun to root for underdogs like Vaughn, but in the big picture... we just need guys who are productive.

Vaughn and Cox are... Smith wasn't. So we used a 2nd on Smith. Oh well. Life goes on.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Given, it's fun to root for underdogs like Vaughn, but in the big picture... we just need guys who are productive.

Vaughn and Cox are... Smith wasn't. So we used a 2nd on Smith. Oh well. Life goes on.
Can we pretend like we used the second on Cox or Vaugn?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

In principle you are correct. Between Vaughn, Cox and Squid we have more than made up for the debacle of Alphonso Smith. However it does speak to problems in evaluations and pick valuing at Dove Valley. Fortunately, that class appears to be a result of little time to prepare as this draft looks better.

It sucks because we could have had a shot at a guy like Ron Brace, or better yet, we don't trade up at all and have the two first round picks this year without having to spend a bunch to get Tebow and then we get that youth on the D-line we're all coveting.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Or, we could've have taken the Mad Man Maulaga like I thought we were going to when we traded up in the second round! I stand by my theory, when in doubt, draft/sign a Samoan. Safe bet everytime.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
In principle you are correct. Between Vaughn, Cox and Squid we have more than made up for the debacle of Alphonso Smith. However it does speak to problems in evaluations and pick valuing at Dove Valley. Fortunately, that class appears to be a result of little time to prepare as this draft looks better.
if you go into a draft under-prepared (relatively speaking), I'd think the smart play is to "do no har" - i.e. not jeopardize future drafts.

I applaud the aggressiveness of McX during the draft, but the first one for each clearly wasn't the time to do so. I'm willing to chalk it up as a lesson learned, and I hope we don't have a whole lot more growing pains to go through.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Vaughn is one of those guys that is constantly around the football.
The guy is a football player.

He just plays football.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
A lot of the guys involved in those early evaluations are no longer around if I recall, we've had a good bit of scouting department turnover.

Also, Smith wasn't a bad pick. The general consensus was that he was worth the spot he went at and had great work ethic, character, and football IQ. But money changes people, especially early 2nd round money. Combined with the early outlook of Smith having the nickel job sown up it becomes clear what his mindset was and why he became complacent. He thought he'd already made it.

When he showed up with a bit more fire this camp it was too late. He was competing with three guys who had a hell of a lot more desire.

I'm liking the look of Gronkowski though. He looked solid yesterday and has only just started learning the system. Another case of a late rounder out working a earlier pick with similar skills though. Quinn made mental mistakes in the Jags game that gave Gronkowksi a chance to get on the field and Gronk made the most of it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

It sucks because we could have had a shot at a guy like Ron Brace, or better yet, we don't trade up at all and have the two first round picks this year without having to spend a bunch to get Tebow and then we get that youth on the D-line we're all coveting.
Sounds like you wanted Ed Reeeeeeed, but seven years later.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
A lot of the guys involved in those early evaluations are no longer around if I recall, we've had a good bit of scouting department turnover.

Also, Smith wasn't a bad pick. The general consensus was that he was worth the spot he went at and had great work ethic, character, and football IQ. But money changes people, especially early 2nd round money. Combined with the early outlook of Smith having the nickel job sown up it becomes clear what his mindset was and why he became complacent. He thought he'd already made it.

When he showed up with a bit more fire this camp it was too late. He was competing with three guys who had a hell of a lot more desire.

I'm liking the look of Gronkowski though. He looked solid yesterday and has only just started learning the system. Another case of a late rounder out working a earlier pick with similar skills though. Quinn made mental mistakes in the Jags game that gave Gronkowksi a chance to get on the field and Gronk made the most of it.
What did you see from Gronkowski yesterday? What's his #?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
82. He reminds me of Patrick Hape
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
The guy is a football player.

He just plays football.
Captain of stating the obvious...

Worst... announcer... ever.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Solid, consistent execution of his blocking assignments. What we need out of a #2 TE right now.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Poor Casius Vaughn, even his only thread ends up being about other guys. I'll talk on him...speed kills baby! You can't coach size or speed and I could see this guy being something down the road. Some of these pups might be a part of the right mix once they get to the point on defense where they can compete. Vaughn seems like a guy who has the instincts to go with the jets...love that in a CB for sure. He and Cox could be our future there, which would make this draft unreal...if we landed a stud WR, a sold 2nd WR, our future starting QB, 2 future starting CB's...not to mention the two kids in the line...right now this draft has the potential of placing a whopping 6 or 7 starters on this team.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

It is always difficult to evaluate how solid your draft preparation is. I bet some teams out there spend a lot more time and resources than others in terms of draft prep and at the end of the day luck is as big a factor as anything. Not a single team has hit every 1st round pick in the last 5 years.

I think there was a feeling at Dove Valley that they had prepared very hard, and I think that with the shorter draft board they had focused very hard on some players they liked and scouted them very aggressively and thouroughly and they liked what they saw. The strategy seems to have been that since they were on a truncated time table they would scout fewer players than normal, but scout each player as hard as they would have if they had more time. In the end we can't tell yet if it worked or not, they did definitely whiff on some picks like Smith, Schlueter, Olsen etc., however we still have 5 players left from that draft who could all be difference makers some day.

It is difficult of course when you have what was essentially 2 rookies running the show, Xanders had never been a GM before and had never even been more than 3rd or 4th banana while Mcdaniels was a young coordinator the year before. They were aggressive and did what they felt was right, and some of it definitely wasn't, but lesson learned. There will always be growing pains in that situation, and at least we do have a few solid drafts from 06 and 08 to see us through and help us make up for any mistakes.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Seems like a nice guy. Has some wheels. Makes plays. Uber cheap. I'll take Diamonds in the Rough for $100 Alex
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

He looked good in Preseason and for one of the 1st times, the staff actually kept him over some higher draft picks! Love it, as I remember one preseason game that I came away with, "dang, that Vaughn kid, he really looked the part of a starting CB." He could end up being the steal of the entire draft! I'm pumped!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

Not to say that I am not grateful for his solid play last year, but hopefully the trio of Cox, Thompson and Vaughn make Goodman expendable after this year
Excellent find
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggle Nole View Post
Not to say that I am not grateful for his solid play last year, but hopefully the trio of Cox, Thompson and Vaughn make Goodman expendable after this year
Excellent find
How much are we paying Goodman?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

Quote:
How much are we paying Goodman?
Goodman signed a 5-year contract back in March 2009 worth $20.4 million with a $9.8 million guaranteed signing bonus
He also has $4.8 million in incentives for playing 75% of the defensive snaps

The years left break down like this:
2010: $3.54 million, 2011: $2.88 million, 2012: $3.42 million, 2013: $3.96 million, 2014: free agent

I guess to answer your question, we are on the hook for $2.88 million next year plus whatever portion of his signing bonus is prorated
He would also get some of those incentives
Not a lot of money, but we stand to save something like $7-8 million+ over the rest of his contract by finding something better
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Sounds like you wanted Ed Reeeeeeed, but seven years later.
No, I'm not even sure Brace will be good. It just signals a wasted opportunity because of greed. I think the best front offices have guys they love, but they let the draft fall too them and they don't overreach. There aren't many examples of guys who have traded up for someone and it paid off. Most of the time a draft pick busts whether you trade or not, so the smart thing to do is try to have more picks (more chances of getting a hit), really do your homework and then let things fall to you.

I do like how they worked the draft to get Tebow and Bay-Bay, though.