The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos had better win while they can

Broncos had better win while they can

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist

Posted: 09/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Players and coaches are required to take them one at a time, for reasons they are only too happy to recite, but we are under no such restriction:

One look at the Broncos' schedule tells you that if they don't win today's home opener against Seattle, they could start the season 0-5 or 0-6, digging a hole from which another .500 record would look like a great escape.

With the Colts, Titans, Ravens and Jets up after the Seahawks, it's possible the Broncos won't be favored again until Week 7 against the Raiders.

Labeling any Week 2 game "must win" invites an eye roll, but victory today might be all that stands between the Broncos and an early- season free fall.

This was a "W" on pretty much every Colorado scorecard until last week, when the Seahawks unaccountably dominated a 49ers team widely expected to win the NFC West, 31-6. Despite the score, San Francisco had more of almost everything offensive, including really dumb interceptions deep in its own territory.

So while the Seahawks were opportunistic, their offense was far from dominant. In part, this is because they don't have a lot of playmakers and, in part, because, like the Broncos, they are unsettled along the offensive line as a result of injuries.

With starting left tackle Russell Okung and backup left tackle Chester Pitts both out of today's game, the Seahawks are down to Englewood's Tyler Polumbus, whom Broncos coach Josh McDaniels cut less than a month ago.

That makes today's game a test of sorts for rookie defensive coordinator Don Martindale. Generally speaking, when any team has a third- string tackle protecting the quarterback's blind side, that player is going to see a pass- rushing move or two. Can the Broncos figure out a scheme that takes advantage of the 6-foot-8, 300-pound Polumbus, their starting right tackle in eight games last season?

"We are familiar with him," McDaniels said. "We're going to have to play well, I think. They do some things with their scheme that some teams don't do in terms of zoning it or gapping it all back. And the ball comes out awful quick there.

"This is a quick passing team, a team that likes to get the ball out of (Matt) Hasselbeck's hands fast and let their guys run with it.

"So in terms of advantages, similar to last week, you've got to get them in obvious passing situations if you want to do some things against their protections or try to win one-on-one matchups in the pass rush. We didn't do enough of that last week in terms of putting (the Jaguars) in longer-yardage situations. If we can do that, hopefully some of our familiarity may help us. But if we can't, we're going to have to play the situation as it comes."

The Seattle rushing attack didn't get much done against the 49ers, gaining 77 yards, 32 of them on a single fourth- quarter run with the Seahawks up by 22 points.

Outside linebacker Robert Ayers, who had the Broncos' only sack in Week 1 at Jacksonville, denies he's the designated replacement for last season's NFL sack leader, the injured Elvis Dumervil, but he looks like the best candidate so far.

"I wouldn't say they're looking for me to be his replacement," Ayers said. "They're just looking for me to play to the max of my ability, and that's what I expect of myself. I expect to be a great player, and that's what I'm going to keep pushing to."

Naturally, the Broncos declined to identify the well- liked Polumbus as a potential target.

"Tyler's a good player or else he wouldn't be starting," Ayers said. "Either way, we've got to get the job done. We're not going to worry about what they do. We're going to try to focus on what we do and try to not make mistakes and try to come out and execute our defense. That's our goal, and that's always going to be our goal no matter who's lined up in front of us."

The Broncos and Seahawks were mirror images in Week 1. The Broncos won the statistical battle but lost the war at Jacksonville. The Seahawks lost the statistical battle but romped on the scoreboard.

Assuming Kyle Orton doesn't throw two picks deep in his own territory and McDaniels gets his plays in on time, the Broncos shouldn't remind the Seahawks of the 49ers. If they want to take any momentum into the tough stretch ahead, they'd better not.

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16114529
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

"Assuming Kyle Orton doesn't throw two picks deep in his own territory and McDaniels gets his plays in on time, the Broncos shouldn't remind the Seahawks of the 49ers. If they want to take any momentum into the tough stretch ahead, they'd better not."

Kyle threw one pick running the two minute offense in the final minute vs. Jville. I missed the first one, where was it? Perhaps the writer means the Buckhalter fumble.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Same as last year, right?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Those Denver writers are great aren't they?

The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Dave Kreiger sucks azz and brings nothing new. Hes like an older male version of Josina!!!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Great Article..Must win game for Mcd Broncos.
Next few games are tough.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Great Article..Must win game for Mcd Broncos.
Next few games are tough.
protip: every game in the NFL is a must win for every team
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
"Assuming Kyle Orton doesn't throw two picks deep in his own territory and McDaniels gets his plays in on time, the Broncos shouldn't remind the Seahawks of the 49ers. If they want to take any momentum into the tough stretch ahead, they'd better not."

Kyle threw one pick running the two minute offense in the final minute vs. Jville. I missed the first one, where was it? Perhaps the writer means the Buckhalter fumble.
He's talking about the 49ers last week.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post

Krieger was referring to the 49er debacle, not what Orton did last week. Smith had two picks in his own territory and the O-Coordinator has been accused of mis-reading plays over the headset and getting them in slow.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

That's fair, thanks for clearing it up for me.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Since when has every favoured team won that game Pathetic piece.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote