The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis
Default Broncos building deep pass attack

Did not see this posted. There was discussion of the content in various threads. Is this going to be a big part of the Broncos win tomorrow?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16097994
oldschoolorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

What?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

The DP is to the point to where the comments are simply unreadable to anyone with a sense of class
I can't even understand how there are so many "fans" that are totally cool with the idea of making threats on the life of someone who they have never even personally met
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Real deal on the field, I'm young like Michael Vick about to make a touchdown in your town.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Here is the article:

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Warning: The stat you're about to read is not a misprint.
The NFL quarterback who led the league last weekend in big-play passes — those 25 yards or longer — wasn't Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or the other usual suspects. It was Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton, who tossed five such completions in Sunday's opener at Jacksonville.
Go figure that the Broncos, with a quarterback who only a year ago had fans and experts wondering about his arm strength and who is without the supposed big-play receiver, may be evolving into a downfield offense.
"We feel like we've found some things that we really want to take advantage of in that area that has nothing to do with who we're playing, really," coach Josh McDaniels

JACKSONVILLE, FL - SEPTEMBER 12: Aaron Kampman #74 of the Jacksonville Jaguars pressure Kyle Orton #8 of the Denver Broncos during the NFL season opener game at EverBank Field on September 12, 2010 in Jacksonville, Florida. (Getty Images North America | Sam Greenwood)
said.
Of Orton's five long completions, three were bona fide long throws — of 41, 27 and 25 yards each, all to Brandon Lloyd. Two others, a 28-yarder to tight end Daniel Graham and a 25-yarder to Eddie Royal, were shorter throws with significant yards after the catch.
But consider that in four games last year, Orton didn't have even one 25-yard completion. In two additional games, he had no completions of longer than 30 yards.
"I hope it spreads the field, I hope it opens other things up for us, but that's certainly an area of the field that we've talked a lot about in the offseason and trying to make them defend the whole field, rather than just half of it," Orton said.
The trend hasn't materialized out of nowhere.
The Broncos' first offensive play in their first preseason game this year was a 31-yard completion down the left seam to receiver Jabar Gaffney.
No, the team hasn't tossed its playbook full of bubble screens, but the Broncos already have shown they won't rely on them this year.
"I don't know the difference of why or whatever. This is the team we have right now and we think it's the best way to go about it with our team this year," Orton said. "We've got a
ALL THINGS BRONCOS BLOG

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

versatile group of wide receivers that can do a lot of different things, and so far when they've been given a chance to make a play downfield, they've done a good job of making it."
McDaniels, who calls the offensive plays, can point to specific reasons for the evolution of the team's offense.
It starts with Orton, who in his second season feels far more comfortable with every page of the playbook, as well as with the receivers.
Gaffney, Lloyd, Royal and Graham are holdovers from a year ago, yet each expects to see more passes with the departure of Brandon Marshall, who had nearly twice as many catches (101) than the No. 2 receiver last year — Gaffney (54). And despite Marshall's reputation of being a big-play receiver, he averaged only 11.1 yards per catch last season.
The Broncos believe Lloyd has the potential to make more plays in the middle or deep end of the field, and he showed it with his five-catch, 117-yard performance against Jacksonville. The Broncos are also hoping rookie Demaryius Thomas, when he returns from a foot injury that has kept him sidelined, will add a downfield dimension with his size and strength. Thomas practiced without any limitations again Thursday and could make his debut Sunday against Seattle.
"I think you take into consideration the personnel that you are playing with and their skill sets and what they do well," McDaniels said. "Then, you try to branch out and use more of those things this year than maybe you did last year.
"Every year I've called plays it's been a different style — there have been different skill players, different linemen, things that the quarterback does better from one year to the next, whatever it may be, and then there's always the evolution of finding new things that work."
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Thanks for posting that, good read.

Welcome to the Maine. Hope to hear more from you.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggle Nole View Post
The DP is to the point to where the comments are simply unreadable to anyone with a sense of class
I can't even understand how there are so many "fans" that are totally cool with the idea of making threats on the life of someone who they have never even personally met
What are you talking about?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

I'm extremely bullish on our WR corps, and most of them are fairly young.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What are you talking about?
Every time there is a Denver Post article, you can read the comments and see numerous people chiming in about how McD and crew need to be gunned down, ran over by vehicles, etc. etc. ad nauseum
Those are just the least creative examples too
I mean, no 15 inch AIDS dripping phalluses or anything

Granted I wasn't around a community like this for any previous regime changes, but the level of animosity is simply staggering
Some people treat the fortunes of this team as though it is a reflection of themselves
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolorange View Post
Did not see this posted. There was discussion of the content in various threads. Is this going to be a big part of the Broncos win tomorrow?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16097994
Denver sure wants to attack deep.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I'm extremely bullish on our WR corps, and most of them are fairly young.
It'll be fun to watch. Lloyd has tremendous abilities. Can Orton keep him interested? Royal is great if he can stay 100%. The rest will create their future in front of us.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Every time there is a Denver Post article, you can read the comments and see numerous people chiming in about how McD and crew need to be gunned down, ran over by vehicles, etc. etc. ad nauseum

Granted I wasn't around a community like this for any previous regime changes, but the level of animosity is simply staggering
Some people treat the fortunes of this team as though it is a reflection of themselves
By George, I think you've got it!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think Orton, in order to be effective downfield, has to read the defense well and get the pass off quick. He doesn't have the gun to survey for awhile then then pick out a guy deep downfield. It's got to be a well timed and designed play for him to go long. But it's encouraging that they are looking to do that.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Class? We don't need no stinking class.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Class? We don't need no stinking class.
Outstanding!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Good article but we did talk about the stat earlier this week....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=93727
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'd like to see some more post routes, but those are the riskiest of all routes. Nevertheless, you gotta try a post once a game at least to keep the DC and the safeties guessing. If it doesn't look good, overthrow the route. But it's a weapon that has to be deployed as part of the strategy. It can be a wasted route, but it gives the DC and the safeties something to think about.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

but there weren't any in this thread.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I'd like to see some more post routes, but those are the riskiest of all routes. Nevertheless, you gotta try a post once a game at least to keep the DC and the safeties guessing. If it doesn't look good, overthrow the route. But it's a weapon that has to be deployed as part of the strategy. It can be a wasted route, but it gives the DC and the safeties something to think about.
Yes. I think this will come. In preseason and in game 1, there seemed to be an effort to focus on throwing outside. Look at the fourth down in red zone, fourth quarter, at Jags. I think we will see more post routes this week.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

When we have the Oline at full strenght with ORton playign at a high levle and have that extra second for check downs and OL rookies more in sync ... then our four WR set of

Thomas, Decker, Royal, Lloyd/Gaffney will be very tough to stop indeed.! Is why I picked up Orton on two of my FF teams well.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I've said it before and I say it again...
Orton is a lousy QB. Period!
Can he make a play here and there?
Yes, he can.
But more often than not, he will show you why he's not, and will not be consider an elite QB in the NFL.
An elite QB is one that makes the play(s) when your team needs it the most.
Orton had a wonderful opportunity to put himself in the map last week and be the hero by making the play he needed to make, unfortunately for us, he threw a pick instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that we need to support our QB and our team. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to fantasize about Orton lighting up the field is expecting more than what the guy can deliver...

The guy needs a complete A+ team around him. A good OL, a great defense and a solid running game will be something Orton can be of a compliment to.
When Orton is referred as a winner, and let's face it, the guy has an ok winning record of 29-20 as an NFL QB, however, if you looked at his stats in those wins, the majority of those wins have come when he has thrown for less than ~200 yards.

Feel free to look it up...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I did a little editing for you. Like it?
I like it!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Yes, he can.
But more often than not, he will show you why he's not, and will not be consider an elite QB in the NFL.
Orton had a wonderful opportunity to put himself in the map last week and be the hero by making the play he needed to make, unfortunately for us, he threw a pick instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that we need to support our QB and our team. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to fantasize about Orton lighting up the field is expecting more than what the guy can deliver...

The guy needs a complete A+ team around him. A good OL, a great defense and a solid running game will be something Orton can be of a compliment to.
When Orton is referred as a winner, and let's face it, the guy has an ok winning record of 29-20 as an NFL QB, however, if you looked at his stats in those wins, the majority of those wins have come when he has thrown for less than ~200 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen
I am a complete Idiot! Period!
Can I make sense here and there?
Yes, I can.
But more often than not, I will show you my ass, and will not be consider changing, I am an elite douche.
An elite douche is one that brings stupidity to a high level(s) when you need it the most.
I had a wonderful opportunity to put myself in the map last week and be the hero by making a post I needed to make, unfortunately for all of you, i shiit the bed instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that I am a mental cripple and need support of a professional. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to diss me all the time is lighting up to board but hurting my feelings, you are expecting more than what this guy can deliver...

This guy (me) needs a complete Ass ream if you want to be around him. A good butt kicking would be a great defense against the soil I bring to the Mane so will someone oblige me. It would be a compliment too.
When I am referred as a winner, and let's face it, we know that is a complete joke but maybe I will be a winner when I am here 20 or 29 more years as an poster, however, if you look at me now my stats do not show wins, the majority of those here have come to know I am a complete FAIL and you knew that when I had posted for less than ~200 words.

I did a little editing for you. Like it?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I don't mind our offensive scheme whatsoever.

...but lollllllllllllllllll
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
oldschoolorange
Rookie

At T.C.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Yes, he can.

You are right about Orton's ypg. The article was merely pointing out that the deep pass is being targeted as a point of emphisis for Broncos offense and they were successful more so than any team last week with 25 + yd gains. Yes Orton missed some plays. Yes Broncos committed too many mistakes. Was that all on Orton?