The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default It's slim pickings for the Broncos after the Laurence Maroney trade.

Denver Broncos Team Report

It's slim pickings for the Broncos after the Laurence Maroney trade.
Not that a few holes in the 2011 draft board necessarily concerns a Denver team that under coach Josh McDaniels and GM Brian Xanders has been uber-aggressive in using its picks as ammunition to acquire players and scale up and down April's festivities to obtain college talent.

The Maroney deal removed a fourth-rounder next year. The team already was missing its fifth- and seventh-rounders from previous deals.

But with an extra second-round pick acquired in the Brandon Marshall trade to Miami and two sixths, one originally owned by Philadelphia courtesy of the Maroney swap and the other from New Orleans via last spring's three-team Tony Scheffler trade, there will be plenty of time and effort to attempt to recoup those losses.

That's because while some teams horde draft picks like a bear stockpiles food for winter, the Broncos treat them more as moving currency.

During the 2010 draft alone, Denver consummated five separate trades involving 17 different picks, demonstrating its aggressive mindset. The Broncos moved around with the specific intent to draft Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow in Round 1 and cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson in the seventh.

"I think it just depends on the value of the player that you're getting," McDaniels said of the team's mindset relating to picks. "That's always kind of been our philosophy since we've been here. If we feel like that can help us improve our football team by bringing another player in that can really play a significant role for us, then we'll try to do it."

Overall, there have been 18 different trades since McDaniels' arrival and only one — linebacker Joe Mays for running back J.J. Arrington just before camp — didn't involve the movement of at least one pick.

"There's plenty we turn away from and a few that we've really tried to make happen," McDaniels added. "Hopefully most of the decisions work out and the players that we bring here have an opportunity to really help us."

—Laurence Maroney gets a fresh start in Denver, leaving the criticism of his running style and middling production behind in New England.

The primary motivation in acquiring Maroney from the Broncos' perspective hinged on concerns over the long-term health of Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter and a desire to have an experienced player in reserve behind the pair.

Lance Ball was the No. 3 prior to the deal, but the Broncos had planned to fill that slot with a veteran and previously couldn't make it work. LenDale White tore his Achilles in the final preseason game. Justin Fargas' knee issues may have caught up to him and he was released.

Ball should still be active for this Sunday's game vs. Seattle given his offensive knowledge and role on special teams.

At first blush, what stands out from the deal is that Maroney is entering the final year of his contract and that swapping a 2011 fourth-round pick for a sixth and the player seems a steep price to pay for a possible rental.

Coach Josh McDaniels, who was offensive coordinator for the first three years of Maroney's career in New England, addressed those issues Wednesday, saying GM Brian Xanders would take care of that.

"Certainly we would love to have an opportunity to keep a young player at that position around for more than a year," McDaniels said. "That would be the goal for sure — to give us some guys that really have an opportunity to be here for a long time and do what we want them to do."

The knock on Maroney in New England was that he lacked decisiveness and physicality at times running the ball. He had dipped to No. 4 on the Patriots' depth chart, in part due to a lingering thigh injury prior to the deal.

"He's a guy that can do a lot of things," McDaniels said. "I think it depends on what the expectations are that you're setting on someone. If you're playing in an offense that uses three and four and five backs, expectations of 1,500 yards rushing probably aren't realistic."

Maroney won't have an immediate chance at earning meaningful carries. He first has to heal, then get up to speed on Denver's playbook.

The longer-term prospects, should he re-sign, are that he can be a useful part of the Broncos rotation. Moreno still hasn't wowed anyone with breakaway ability but it's highly doubtful Denver strips him of his No. 1 mantle anytime soon given his draft status (No. 12 overall pick, 2009).

Buckhalter, on the other hand, is fair game. He's arguably has shown more burst and playmaking ability than Moreno over the last two years. But Buckhalter turns 32 next month and has had a history of injuries, including a neck/back issue that kept him out of the entire training camp. He has two years remaining on his contract.

Moreno's reaction to Maroney's addition was, "The more the better."

"He's a heck of a talent," said Broncos wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, a former teammate of Maroney with the Pats. "He's a great running back, can hit it inside, has speed to get outside and can do great things out of the backfield ... just have to get him caught up."

SERIES HISTORY: 52nd regular-season meeting. Broncos lead series, 33-18. The Broncos have a 20-5 home record vs. its former AFC West rival. The Seahawks have faced Denver more than any other team in their franchise history. The two teams last opened Denver's home schedule in 1988, with Seattle winning, 21-14.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Whatever...
I think we saw how easy it was to pick up picks in last years draft.
It being a crap shoot and all...
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Did you get this off bleacher report? It sure reads like bleacher report, and they missed that the deal was a 4th for Maroney and a 6th.

Or that Arrington being released means we're giving the Eagles a 7th rounder in 2011 (or was it 2012?)

Bush league reporting, so I can only hope its amateur.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Boomhauer

Considering how poorly this FO has done in the draft, it's probably best they have fewer picks to burn cash on.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Thanks for posting.

Would you mind posting the link too....it's nice to see the source.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Considering how poorly this FO has done in the draft, it's probably best they have fewer picks to burn cash on.
Is this a joke?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Thanks for posting.

Would you mind posting the link too....it's nice to see the source.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ncos/notes.htm

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

"At first blush, what stands out from the deal is that Maroney is entering the final year of his contract and that swapping a 2011 fourth-round pick for a sixth and the player seems a steep price to pay for a possible rental."

If this was the case, I dont see how someone can give us a positive and help the team now and lose a 4th. I dont think it is a huge problem even for one year.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Denver is down a 4th and 5th, and up a 2nd this year. They are down a 6th and an unknown pick next year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Go crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out from. ****ing cockroach.
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
yerner
Ring of Famer

18 trades? wow.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

We also took two extra players in the past two drafts.

Plus, Maroney serves a purpose. What's the difference if we draft him or trade for him, aside from him having some NFL experience already?

If we only draft 6 players this coming draft... that will be 24 since McD came to town... a few more than it would have been if we did nothing.

People will really just b**** about anything.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Plus, Maroney serves a purpose. What's the difference if we draft him or trade for him, aside from him having some NFL experience already?

If we only draft 6 players this coming draft... that will be 24 since McD came to town... a few more than it would have been if we did nothing.

It's just a media thing. I think they realize the growing discontent among a fanbase that simply isn't used to losing 9 out of the last 11 and milking it.

Is it fair? No, but it's life and a year ago this time when we went 6-0 it's was the exact opposite.

Until this team can show it can at least compete and go .500 every single move made, no matter how trivial or inconsequential is going to be looked at negatively.

It's what a lot of the media thrive on.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Did you get this off bleacher report? It sure reads like bleacher report, and they missed that the deal was a 4th for Maroney and a 6th.

Or that Arrington being released means we're giving the Eagles a 7th rounder in 2011 (or was it 2012?)

Bush league reporting, so I can only hope its amateur.
Does it really matter?
We all know we'd be getting a 6th round pick from N.E. Big deal!
The article is spot on.
I knew the minute I've read it that I could see the McDaniels army up in arms to characterize the article as amateur.
There's nothing amateur telling the truth, especially the one you don't want to hear about.
With that said, do I hear anyone else bringing in Shanahan past dealing to do McDaniels some justice?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
uplink
Ring of Famer

So they have three 6th rounders next year? They do a good job with the late round picks so its not too bad. Don't have to reach and can take chances on guys that slide, like Cox last year.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Denver is down a 4th and 5th, and up a 2nd this year. They are down a 6th and an unknown pick next year.
I think the breakdown is this:

Denver is down a 4th, 5th and 6th this year. Cleveland has our original sixth because of the Quinn trade. Tampa Bay got our fifth-rounder for the trade back into the draft. Fourth for Maroney.

But, apparently we get New England's sixth-rounder this year too.

I'm not sure what we are forfeiting for Mays in 2012.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The object is to win this year. I think every player on the team is ok with acquiring Maroney provided he fits in and and doesn't make an ass of himself - and Maroney has tried to fit in smoothly already. The guy was signed as depth. Lance Ball already knew he was on the bubble, he knew he had to really excel to get off the PS. If Maroney stinks, Lance Ball knows his role, and if Maroney stinks hopefully Lance Ball steps it up.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think the breakdown is this:

Denver is down a 4th, 5th and 6th this year. Cleveland has our original sixth because of the Quinn trade. Tampa Bay got our fifth-rounder for the trade back into the draft. Fourth for Maroney.

But, apparently we get New England's sixth-rounder this year too.

I'm not sure what we are forfeiting for Mays in 2012.
This is what I read recently:

1-1st
2-2nd's (1 from Miami)
1-3rd
0-4th (Patriots)
0-5th (Tampa)
2-6th (Our own traded to Cleveland for Quinn. 1 from NE and 1 from Detroit. Detroit pick is the swap we made in the Alphonso Smith trade)
0-7th (sent to Detroit in the Alphonso Smith trade. We got their 6th)

We have all of our picks except 6th (traded to Eagles for Joe Mays).
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but there's a good rationale on the other side. Seeing as we did surrender a couple pro bowlers for a good chunk of those picks.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos have added so many young players over last couple yrs I think it will be ok to have a few less picks, but obviously it's not great.

They will just have to sign an impact FA or 2 maybe?

Also you could still have a great draft. Maybe you nail the 1st and 2nd round pick.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I hear what you're saying, but there's a good rationale on the other side. Seeing as we did surrender a couple pro bowlers for a good chunk of those picks.
I'll give you one Pro Bowler, and that Pro Bowler came with a ton of issues and wanted a massive contract with a 1-year suspension awaiting his next ****-up.

Jay Cutler wasn't a friggin' Pro Bowler and you know it. Rivers was (is) twice the QB he'll ever be, and Jay went right out and stunk up the stadium after we dumped him.

At this point, there's been no tangible evidence that losing either of them has hurt us greatly, or at all.

WR and QB are probably the least of our problems, right now.

The article is just silly. It's based on a false premise and omits key data to make a fictional point.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Speaking of false premises and omitting key data points...

Quote:

Jay Cutler wasn't a friggin' Pro Bowler and you know it.

He managed to get a jersey and play in the probowl. The only way I know to do that is to become a pro bowler, and the only way to do that is to get enough votes.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Speaking of false premises and omitting key data points...

He managed to get a jersey and play in the probowl. The only way I know to do that is to become a pro bowler, and the only way to do that is to get enough votes.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

The point is:

Jay Cutler 2008 season stats

4526 yards 25 TDs 18 ints 62.3% 86.0 qb rating

Philip Rivers 2008 season stats

4009 yards 34 TDs 11 ints 65.3% 105.5 qb rating

It was really easy that season to sit there and laugh @ the Chargers and brag about Cutler... I did. However when I looked at Rivers stats, it was hard to continue being proud/bragging about Cutler being in the Pro Bowl. Rivers got raped.

The point Popps is trying to make is that Cutler didn't deserve it, and TJ is trying to say it doesn't matter, he got in fair and square.

It's really two different arguments...

However if you really want to talk about what's important...

We all know Cutler got outplayed by Rivers that season and it wasn't even close.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #25
manchambo
Ring of Famer

This stirkes me as pure idiocy. I would wager serious money that, with an extra second and the extra sixth, if you added up the value of the picks they hold on one of those pick value charts, they have the same or more value in their entire draft than if they held their picks.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote