The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: Week 1 didn't change opinion about Broncos or other teams

Woody's Mailbag: Week 1 didn't change opinion about Broncos or other teams

Randy from Centennial asks Woody about the prospects for the ex-Broncos.

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Updated: 09/16/2010 01:26:42 PM MDT

Well, Week 1 is history, and so far Mike Shanahan is 1-0, Jay Cutler is 1-0, Brandon Marshall is 1-0 and Josh McDaniels and the Broncos are 0-1. (Gary Kubiak is also 1-0, but he doesn't count because he wasn't run out of Denver.) Which of those four teams (Redskins, Bears, Dolphins and Broncos) will finish with the best record? Randy, Centennial

Woody Paige: Why would anyone care what I think, Randy? I was so wrong last week. I picked Jacksonville to beat the Broncos 24-16.

You forgot to mention the Broncos' opponent this week. Seattle will have two offensive line starters run out of Denver (Ben Hamilton and Tyler Polumbus) and the offensive coordinator (Jeremy Bates).

And don't forget Detroit, where tight end Tony Scheffler now lives. I think Houston counts, because the offensive coordinator, Rick Dennison, basically was run out of town.

And remember Peyton Hillis, who was shipped off to Cleveland, where he's playing well. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

When I looked at all the schedules of NFL teams before I picked the Broncos 8-8, which still seems about right given the first week of play, I had the Redskins at 8-8, the Bears at 8-8, the Dolphins at 8-8 and the Texans at 8-8. Really. My feelings haven't really changed.

Washington (which has Clinton Portis, who was run out of town by Shanahan, who was then run out of town) may win nine, and the Dolphins could win nine, and the Texans, after that victory over Indy (with Arian Foster running wild with a ZONE-BLOCKING scheme), might be better than I thought.

I have a feeling that Brandon Marshall not only has gotten his money but will get the best record of the bunch. It'll come down to the final weekend, but not one of all those guys will play in the Super Bowl, and they may not play in a postseason game. Misery loves all the company.

Woody, in your opinion, in the long run, how bad will the Alphonso Smith move be? Which do you think Josh McDaniels will regret more: drafting him or trading him for so little? Also, why does everyone say this shows how bad McDaniels' player evaluation skills are when this move was made because three other rookies he evaluated and brought in made the roster ahead of Smith? Shouldn't he be lauded for finding a trio of rookies worth keeping at the CB position? Ian John, Pueblo

WP: Ian, Pueblo always has a glass-full attitude. I'm certain Josh McDaniels regrets the Alphonso Smith draft pick. He gave up a No. 1 to get a No. 2. Smith was no help whatsoever last year. If he had stayed, he would have been no help this year, so getting a third-string tight end was about all the Broncos could hope for.

In McDaniels' defense (sort of), when he got here, he didn't like the scouting department and has said he didn't have sufficient time to do anything about it before the draft. But that's no excuse for Smith and Richard Quinn, who will never be much in the NFL.

Robert Ayers and Knowshon Moreno played pretty well at Jacksonville, but Ayers was a flop last year, and Moreno has not yet proven to be the best running back in last year's draft. As everybody knows, neither of this year's No. 1 draft picks helped on Sunday, one because of health and the other because he ran the ball twice and didn't pass once.

I think the Broncos got three outstanding picks in this year's draft in Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Perrish Cox. Three selections from last year have already have washed out, and this year one has. I don't believe Syd'Quan Thompson will ever be a player, although people went goo-gah over him in a couple of exhibitions. He was a scratch Sunday and likely will be often unless there are injuries at cornerback.

I guess this year's draft will depend ultimately on Tim Tebow and Demaryius Thomas (who remains hurt). Eric Decker will be a player. David Bruton and Darcel McBath have to come through from last year, although McBath is another injured guy.

Smith was a bust from the get-go. I think when we look back in five years, the Broncos will have gotten nine players from the two drafts, and two will someday play in the Pro Bowl.

Woody, when I watched the preseason film on Denver this year, Kyle Orton showed the poise of Tom Brady in the pocket and the quickness of Peyton Manning. Orton is neither of those men, but he's looking good. So why is everyone down on our passing game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brandon Marshall drop the MOST passes of any receiver on our team in the last three years? Alex, Denver

WP: Alex, a cross between Brady and Manning. Wow. Orton is maybe more of a cross between Brady Quinn and Eli Manning.

Did you happen to notice that Orton played well until they needed him late in the fourth quarter against the Jaguars, and his pass on fourth down to Brandon Lloyd at the end zone forced Lloyd to make a circus catch, and he couldn't get his feet inbounds? Then, on the last offensive play the Broncos had, Orton threw an interception.

He remains what he is an average NFL quarterback. Brady and Manning (Peyton) have played in six of the last nine Super Bowls (and won four). Get back to me when Kyle Orton plays in just one playoff game in his career.

I listened to a couple of talk show hosts last week who said Orton was among the top quarterbacks in the league. Here's my list:

1. Tom Brady.
1A. Peyton Manning.
3. Drew Brees.
4. Phillis Rivers.
5. Ben Rape-lisberger.
6. Aaron Rodgers.
7. Tony Romo
8. Brett Favre.
9. Carson Palmer.
10. Eli Manning.
11. Matt Ryan.
12. Jay Cutler
13. Matt Schwab
14. Kevin Kolb
15. Michael Vick
16. Mark Sanchez
17. Joe Flacco
18. Donovan McNabb
19. Vince Young
20. Orton, maybe.

Go argue that. Marshall is among the leaders in dropped passes every year.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Wood for brains.

Matt "Schwab"
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Great read Woody, not!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

well Woody has cured his homerism
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

What a dick.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

I love this notion that Orton didn't play well "when we needed him."

As if we didn't need him for the other 90% of the game.

Rivers, Romo and Manning couldn't bring their teams back Sunday, either. Guess those scrubs couldn't play when their teams "needed" them.

Or, maybe teams shouldn't put their QBs in ****-holes and expect a miracle.

We couldn't play special teams, we fumbled the ball in the redzone and we couldn't even line the right number of guys up on the field. But, despite playing a very solid game... Orton is taking **** because he couldn't dig us out of a ****-hole in a pass-only situation with a minute left in the game?

Sorry, folks... that's not how it works. You don't construct a football team to play poorly and have a QB save you every week.

If everyone on the team played as well as Orton last Sunday, we win that game going away.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
What a dick.

You just figured that out. He's jhns in disguise. ****ing wagon jumper.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Lol woody paige.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Rivers, Romo and Manning couldn't bring their teams back Sunday, either. Guess those scrubs couldn't play when their teams "needed" them.

We couldn't play special teams, we fumbled the ball in the redzone and we couldn't even line the right number of guys up on the field. But, despite playing a very solid game... Orton is taking **** because he couldn't dig us out of a ****-hole in a pass-only situation with a minute left in the game?

Sorry, folks... that's not how it works. You don't construct a football team to play poorly and have a QB save you every week.

If everyone on the team played as well as Orton last Sunday, we win that game going away.

He was responding to the suggestioni that Orton is a cross between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. In that conversation, it's highly relevant that Orton has never done it with the season on the line, and failed badly Sunday on the last drive. His failing wasn't the failure to pull off a "miracle." It was throwing a blunderous interception to kill the drive, with plenty of time on the clock and more downs to play.

Got to forget about and move on, but if people want to discuss Orton as one of the best in the league, his performance in the 4th quarter is going to be a major topic.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

That sack he took on third down at the end of the first drive was a much bigger mistake than the INT.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I agree with him on Orton, and it does matter what you do in crunch time and he threw a pick.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Paige: Give Chris Simms the start at QB vs. Redskins
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

All we are saying is give Simms a chance.

To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday.

The last time we saw Simms, in the first two exhibitions, he was completing 16-of-24 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns, without an interception, and looking sharp, more like a starter than the other quarterback. Then Simms sprained an ankle and hasn't played since.

Change would be good for the Broncos' soul-searching.

Kyle Orton hasn't performed awfully (except for the three interceptions Monday night). Yes, the Broncos still have won six games but he is what he is the 18th-best quarterback in the NFL. And the Broncos are a reflection of that number. They are 22nd in scoring (18.8 points per game), just ahead of the Titans, and behind, ahem, the Bears. They are 19th overall in offense, 17th in passing, 18th in rushing.

The Broncos are third overall in defense. Add the 18 and the 3 to get 21, divide by two for 10.5, and that's about where the Broncos realistically rank in the NFL after back-to-back defeats to Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

The Broncos were off to an unbelievable start this season but haven't gotten off to a distinctive start in any game. The field goal at the end of the first drive Monday accounted for their only opening-drive points of the season.

Josh McDaniels was intent on improving the Broncos' missing-link production of a season ago inside the 20-yard line. He has, but the problem is, they aren't making enough visits. The Broncos were in the ruby region zero times against the Steelers and the Bengals and once in the Ravens game. The offense scored three, 12 and seven points in those games.

It has been suggested, wisely, by my columnist colleagues at Postmortem that the Broncos start Correll Buckhalter at running back, which they did against Pittsburgh, and open up the offense, which they didn't do. It doesn't matter who starts at running back, and McDaniels can't unleash the offense with Orton.

McDaniels showed me his "War and Peace"-sized offensive playbook before the season, but he's able to use only a section that's about the size of the pamphlet "Popular Lawyers And Journalists."

He has to try Simms, and what's a more appropriate occasion than after two losses and in a game against the most politically incorrect and football-inept team in America? Washington: First in war, first in peace, last (again) in the NFC East.

When I suggested this move to a rather large cheese at The Post, he said: "Simms hasn't played since early in the 2006 season."

Orton only played three games in 2006-07 after being benched, following 15 starts in 2005, before the Bears went on to the Super Bowl. Simms has started 15 NFL games.

"Simms' spleen was ruptured. What if he gets hurt again?"

Simms can't hurt his spleen again. It was removed.

"The Bucs got rid of Simms."

The Bears got rid of Orton.

"What did Simms ever do when he was a starter?"

He started a postseason game, which is more than Orton has done.

"Yeah, but . . ."

Yeah, but Simms has a stronger arm. Orton's lack of arm strength was revealed twice against Pittsburgh when he tried to make throws off his back foot and couldn't get the ball to open receivers. And, Simms can scramble better than Orton, who can't get outside the rush, can't run the quarterback draw and can't throw back across his body.

"Simms is left-handed."

So were Steve Young, Ken Stabler and Boomer Esiason, who took their teams to Super Bowls.

And Simms looked stronger in training camp than Orton, and better in the exhibition games (until he got hurt), and McDaniels thought so much of Simms he gave him more money to sign here than Orton makes.

McDaniels told me he doesn't care to switch quarterbacks in midgame or midseason, but, then, he had Tom Brady as his quarterback at New England, and who's going to remove him? Last year the Patriots' quarterback was Matt Cassel, and there was no backup. (Name him for 10 points.)

Let's see what Simms has. The Broncos gave a chance to another quarterback whose father had won a Super Bowl. And Brian Griese, the Broncos' radio analyst last Sunday, has played with both Orton and Simms, and knows that Simms got a raw deal at Tampa Bay, and would be the starting quarterback for the Bucs now if they kept him.

Simms can't play any more awfully than Orton on the first drive and in the first quarter at D.C. And if he's terrible, McDaniels can return to Orton at halftime.

There's only one problem with this sensible solution: McDaniels, who traded a quarterback, won't have the inner workings to do it.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
He was responding to the suggestioni that Orton is a cross between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. In that conversation, it's highly relevant that Orton has never done it with the season on the line, and failed badly Sunday on the last drive. His failing wasn't the failure to pull off a "miracle." It was throwing a blunderous interception to kill the drive, with plenty of time on the clock and more downs to play.

Got to forget about and move on, but if people want to discuss Orton as one of the best in the league, his performance in the 4th quarter is going to be a major topic.
That's fair to say... but Orton hasn't really done enough to be compared to the best in the league.

However, he played well on Sunday and it's silly to pin the loss on him or claim he wasn't there when we needed him.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Paige: Give Chris Simms the start at QB vs. Redskins
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

All we are saying is give Simms a chance.

To give themselves a jump-start, the Broncos should give Chris Simms the start against Washington on Sunday..
Awesome.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Bronco Yoda

The INT machine @ #12. Good one there Woody.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Of course you do. You don't have to worry about the game until the 4th quarter and then you just sit back and ask your QB to make up a 14 point deficit with 9 minutes remaining.

-Dan Reeves
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:

When I looked at all the schedules of NFL teams before I picked the Broncos 8-8, which still seems about right given the first week of play, I had the Redskins at 8-8, the Bears at 8-8, the Dolphins at 8-8 and the Texans at 8-8. Really. My feelings haven't really changed.
What a homer How can you pick the broncos to go 8-8 everyone knows they're going win like 2-4 games.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Of course you do. You don't have to worry about the game until the 4th quarter and then you just sit back and ask your QB to make up a 14 point deficit with 9 minutes remaining.

-Dan Reeves
Man, isn't that the truth with Dan Reeves.
You've always felt that with Elway in the game that all you needed is a chance for him to get back on the field with time left on the clock for the man to do his magic.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Sanchez better then Orton? wth
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #20
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

What a jerk!

The facts have an anti-Bronco bias!
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Mark Sanchez is one of the worst starting qbs in the league, if not the worst

how he can be ranked above anybody not named Matt Cassel and Trent Edwards is a joke

I get the impression Woody doesnt actually watch football if that is his list of the top qbs
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

For a second there, I actually thought that Woody was the one who put "Ben Rape-lisburger" in print.

Also, how hard is it for people to actually post links? My goodness.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #23
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Paige View Post
Moreno has not yet proven to be the best running back in last year's draft.
I guess he's referring to Shonn Greene, who pretty much **** the bed on Monday night, and most of the regular season last year, but...meh...
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
I guess he's referring to Shonn Greene, who pretty much **** the bed on Monday night, and most of the regular season last year, but...meh...
no kidding, and never mind that KM led all rookies in rushing
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
What a homer How can you pick the broncos to go 8-8 everyone knows they're going win like 2-4 games.
I know, just like last year when everyone knew the same.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote