The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default Broncos GM Xanders confident a smart game plan is in place to revitalize roster

t's been awhile since the men upstairs at Dove Valley seemed to be smart.
The men upstairs at Broncos headquarters, coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders, understand how it works. They know smarts are directly related to winning, and the Broncos have lost nine of their last 11 games — including their season opener Sunday at Jacksonville, 24-17.
When a team slumps, every transaction made by the football operations department — including acquiring running back Laurence Maroney from the New England Patriots in a trade Tuesday — is scrutinized.
It looked bad three weeks ago when the bosses essentially dumped cornerback Alphonso Smith, upon whom the team placed a first-round draft pick value as recently as 2009, and released defensive end Jarvis Green, who as recently as March was considered worth a $3.255 million guarantee.
Not considered: Even with the wasted investment in Smith and Green, and the $600,000 in bonuses paid to Brandon Stokley before his release, the Broncos' "dead money" against the salary cap this year, if there were a salary cap, is only $8.2 million. Their wasted cash is $6 million. Both figures are in the bottom five of the NFL, according to two league sources. A far cry from a Broncos franchise that from 1998-2009 was No. 1 in dead money, according to the sources.
"It depends on perspective," Xan-ders said. "Those were two decisions in one day, but the goal was to get better in terms of trying to make the roster better. It's not a decision of 'We drafted him here,' or 'We paid this guy in free agency.' We work the roster process purely on football decisions.
"(Broncos owner) Pat Bowlen and the fans want the best team out there on Sunday, not a team that's preserving decisions in the offseason."
Xanders agreed to address the team's plan and some of the surprise decisions made while setting the Broncos' 53-man roster. Team executives know that until the Broncos start winning, convincing their fan base that an intelligent plan has been formulated is difficult.
On the plus side, they point to a roster turnover from when McDaniels inherited the head coaching job in January 2009.
"We let go of 32 players from 2008 (roster and practice squad) who were here who never played in the NFL again,"
Xanders said. "There's a plan in place. We're laying the foundation for success. And most of the decisions have been productive."
Green was the only major flop from a free-agent list that since March 2009 includes Brian Dawkins, Jabar Gaff-ney, Brandon Lloyd, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Correll Buckhalter, Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams.
These Broncos are considerably larger, and more physical at the line of scrimmage, than most recent Denver teams. It's too early to say the Broncos are better up front, but they appear better equipped to handle such rugged teams as those typically fielded in the NFC East and AFC East.
But can the Broncos miss on such players as Smith and Green and eventually win?
"There's always inherent risk in every transaction — whether it's a trade or a signing or a draft selection," Xanders said. "But as a whole, we feel good about the summation of the decisions we've made the last two years."
The Miami Dolphins cut a second- round pick from the 2009 draft (Pat White) and just released center Jake Grove, who received a $14.5 million guarantee before last season and played in only 10 games.
This season, more than any other, teams seemed willing to cut their losses. Arizona cut its 2009 second-round pick (Cody Brown) and gave up on quarterback Matt Leinart after paying him roughly $14.5 million.
Seattle still owes nearly $7 million to T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Four teams — the Broncos (Smith), Arizona (Brown), Miami (White) and Cleveland (David Viekune) — gave up on their 2009 second-round draft picks.
It took guts for Xanders and McDaniels to admit mistakes on their initial evaluation of Smith and Green.
The moves might have even been called smart had the Broncos defeated Jacksonville.

Read more: Broncos GM Xanders confident a smart game plan is in place to revitalize roster - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0za1jz7AP

Last edited by baja; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

"On the plus side, they point to a roster turnover from when McDaniels inherited the head coaching job in January 2009.
"We let go of 32 players from 2008 (roster and practice squad) who were here who never played in the NFL again,""

That my fellow fans is fuqking amazing
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Translation: "We created problems where there weren't problems. Plus we haven't fixed the original problems. Most of anyone leftover worth a shiat is injured or on IR. So excuse us for looking a little desperate because we are a little desperate."
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Wasn't the 09 Draft supposed to be one of the worst draft classes in the last 20 years talent wise?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
"On the plus side, they point to a roster turnover from when McDaniels inherited the head coaching job in January 2009.
"We let go of 32 players from 2008 (roster and practice squad) who were here who never played in the NFL again,""

Yes it is, and so is this:

"Even with the wasted investment in Smith and Green, and the $600,000 in bonuses paid to Brandon Stokley before his release, the Broncos' "dead money" against the salary cap this year, if there were a salary cap, is only $8.2 million. Their wasted cash is $6 million. Both figures are in the bottom five of the NFL, according to two league sources. A far cry from a Broncos franchise that from 1998-2009 was No. 1 in dead money, according to the sources."
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post

"Even with the wasted investment in Smith and Green, and the $600,000 in bonuses paid to Brandon Stokley before his release, the Broncos' "dead money" against the salary cap this year, if there were a salary cap, is only $8.2 million. Their wasted cash is $6 million. Both figures are in the bottom five of the NFL, according to two league sources. A far cry from a Broncos franchise that from 1998-2009 was No. 1 in dead money, according to the sources."
Yes, I didn't bold that for fear So Cal would pass Gall stones when he read it.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post

If only the broke ass gutless drunk had not tied Shanny's hands on spending why I bet we would have won two or three more Super Bowls
Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

Do we know how many of the 32 retired, or were too injured to play, or were Practice squad players who fall off the radar anway?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Do we know how many of the 32 retired, or were too injured to play, or were Practice squad players who fall off the radar anway?
Not sure but there is this;

Both figures are in the bottom five of the NFL, according to two league sources. A far cry from a Broncos franchise that from 1998-2009 was No. 1 in dead money, according to the sources."
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, Nate Webster, Jamie Winborn, Tatum Bell, Michael Pittman, Andre Hall, PJ Pope, Cory Boyd, Selvin Young, Chad Mustard, Darrell Jackson, Cliff Russell, Glenn Martinez, Nate Jackson, Engleberger, Jeb Putzier, Dewayne Robertson, Ekuban, Boss Bailey, Josh Bell, Kenny Peterson, Calvin Lowery.

Did I miss anyone
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Xanders is probably the worst decision Bowlen has ever made. Including Annabelle, fur coats, and ostrich boots.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Xanders is probably the worst decision Bowlen has ever made. Including Annabelle, fur coats, and ostrich boots.
...and you base that on?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, Nate Webster, Jamie Winborn, Tatum Bell, Michael Pittman, Andre Hall, PJ Pope, Cory Boyd, Selvin Young, Chad Mustard, Darrell Jackson, Cliff Russell, Glenn Martinez, Nate Jackson, Engleberger, Jeb Putzier, Dewayne Robertson, Ekuban, Boss Bailey, Josh Bell, Kenny Peterson, Calvin Lowery.

Did I miss anyone
Roderick Rogers

signed as FA mid season, started not long after.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That is great and all but we aren't more talented now that we have their roster in place... I fail to see why we should be proud of them.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
...and you base that on?
His superior football knowledge, and love of all things Shanny related.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

More proof to how great a coach Shanahan was. That guy could field a winner in the NFL with college kids.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
More proof to how great a coach Shanahan was. That guy could field a winner in the NFL with college kids.
How? By overpaying so many lazy, worthless free agents, that we led the league in dead money?? Resulting in 1 playoff win in 10 years?? Yes, I agree.....tremendous.

McD has purged Shanny's garbage......and yet, because he hasn't built his own winning team yet in (gasp) only 17 regular season games.....you think we should give up on him. Smart.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
How? By overpaying so many lazy, worthless free agents, that we led the league in dead money?? Resulting in 1 playoff win in 10 years?? Yes, I agree.....tremendous.

McD has purged Shanny's garbage......and yet, because he hasn't built his own winning team yet in (gasp) only 17 regular season games.....you think we should give up on him. Smart.
Look at his win percentage. I said win. Winning and winning championships are two different things. Separate him from the GM duties and you won't find a better coach.

I never said give up on McDaniels, where you got that I don't know. I was simply stating how amazing to have had a winning season under Shanahan with a severe lack of talent on the field. I support McDaniels and no question he deserves 3 full years. If things don't start to change after the next full season maybe other options need to be explored.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Look at his win percentage. I said win. Winning and winning championships are two different things. Separate him from the GM duties and you won't find a better coach.

I never said give up on McDaniels, where you got that I don't know. I was simply stating how amazing to have had a winning season under Shanahan with a severe lack of talent on the field. I support McDaniels and no question he deserves 3 full years. If things don't start to change after the next full season maybe other options need to be explored.
Fair enough. I wrongly lumped you into the "fire McD now" crowd. And I agree....if by the end of season 3 we are not in the playoffs....then we can start questioning.....until then, give the guy time to build the team he wants to build.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Translation: "We created problems where there weren't problems. Plus we haven't fixed the original problems. Most of anyone leftover worth a shiat is injured or on IR. So excuse us for looking a little desperate because we are a little desperate."
Uh, I read that exactly the opposite. They got rid of 32 guys that no one else wanted.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #21
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

What a douche.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post

Did I miss anyone
I have no idea how Knoshown will work out (I'm afraid the early returns aren't looking spectacular), but that said, look at the players I bolded. We got so used to Shanny bringing in spare parts at RB that we came to EXPECT it as a pattern of success. Those three guys above were all going to be the next Mike Anderson/Olandis Gary.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post

What a douche.
Wow! That is the pot calling the kettle Black If I have ever seen it
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The jury is still out on whether thhe Xanders/McDaniels connection will eventually strike gold, but i do appreciate the fact that they have been given the reins to overhaul anything they see necessary. If they don't make it, we can find a new GM and Coach, but at least they aren't being handcuffed from doing what they think is in the best interests of the team.

I like the fact that we cut guys and replace them based on performance, not perception. It's a winning recipe if you can find the right players who will excel in your system. The question is - have we found those "right" guys to work in our system?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #25
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And we got rid of a first round cornerback after one season. As bad as Alphonso was, he was a guy who probably should have fit in that BS "two year evaluation" period on all draftees that McD loves to go around spewing.

I don't have much faith that our roster, if 32 guys were cut, would have much to fill other teams with.

And when you take an 8-8 team with an explosive offensive who needs to work on red zone issues, and say it's okay if we're potentially worse for a couple of years, then that is the logic that loses me.

The Broncos that played this week looked as bad on both sides of the ball as our defense did in 2008. I was waiting for someone to get the football stuck in his mask as he accidentally tripped in for a touchdown.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote