The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Default Should we go no-huddle?

One of the things that stood out for in Sunday's game was, love him or hate him, Orton clearly has a pretty firm grasp of the offense and we looked an entirely different team running the 2 minute drill.

Also some calls were late coming in and we stuck with a two back set look later in the game that slowed down their pass rush much better.

With that in mind should we go no huddle for a series or two if the offense continues to struggle? The key reason I would go for this is that a no huddle offense can make the blocking assignments for the OL simpler and the D can't easily sub replacements so the D's front 7 can quickly tire out making the job of our OL easier.

We already have a QB that can run the offense well and what looks to be a decent set of WRs down to the slot.

Why not maximise what little strength we have and hide the obvious weakenesses along the OL by trying out the no huddle for a series or two?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

The headsets stopped working at a point.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Yes.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

YES!...and for gods sake get some quick sets and snaps in there also , so the D doesn't have all day to read OUR keys so much...
ScottXray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

I think you're right about Orton but I think that's where it stops unfortunately. The rest of the offense and the coaches aren't up for no-huddle. If you don't know the play can't get it called into the QB or get the right players out there, don't know where to line up, adding in a noise problem, IMHO, would mean more miscues.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to see it from time to time but I just don't think the Broncos are ready. Right now, I'm hoping that their defense doesn't see no-huddle.

This team needs to concentrate on the basics.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
I think you're right about Orton but I think that's where it stops unfortunately. The rest of the offense and the coaches aren't up for no-huddle. If you don't know the play can't get it called into the QB or get the right players out there, don't know where to line up, adding in a noise problem, IMHO, would mean more miscues.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to see it from time to time but I just don't think the Broncos are ready. Right now, I'm hoping that their defense doesn't see no-huddle.

This team needs to concentrate on the basics.
So you missed the last minute of the first half Sunday?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

No, I just heard the KOA broadcast. It didn't sound like a true no-huddle (at least via the radio). Even so...a three or four play drive, one time and when the opposition was totally celebrating and not thinking that Denver was going to attempt it? Not something you can live on but whatever...
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

It should be in every offenses bag of tricks.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the no-huddle will not help the the Defense or special teams
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
the no-huddle will not help the the Defense or special teams
Doesn't seem to matter. The Broncos obvious plan of controlling the clock and winning the TOP battle in the first half (which they did very well) didn't stop the defense from looking tired and worn out on longer Jacksonville drives anyway. Can't really hurt to go no huddle a few times and bite the bullet IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

For a series or two? Hell yes.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Kyle
Bigger Arm = Longer Pick

See: Favre and Cutler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orton

I believe the whole no huddle thing is slightly misunderstood by a lot of people. A few things I would like to point out regarding the no huddle.

1. If offense subs, they have to let the defense sub

Q. Throughout the game, and not doing hurry up at the end of a half / end of a game Big Head Manning takes the whole play clock just like every other QB to get his plays off. He just does all the calling at the line.

P. If their front seven needs subbing, our RB's and WR's probably do too.

II. If we are worrying about them getting our keys, they will have longer to do it if we spend the whole pre-play at the line

3. The best thing a no-huddle can do is exploit personnel groupings. If you have a desirable mismatch on the field, you can keep it there by not subbing on your side of the ball therefore not allowing them to sub.

W. It doesn't really make anything any easier on anyone. Everything has to be called on the line. No huddle to make sure everyone hears it at away games.

Threeve. The QB still gets a radio in his helmet and still gets to hear a play called in from the sideline before he walks to the line. The Bighead doesn't make up his entire offense!
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

What is a threeve?
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Doesn't seem to matter. The Broncos obvious plan of controlling the clock and winning the TOP battle in the first half (which they did very well) didn't stop the defense from looking tired and worn out on longer Jacksonville drives anyway. Can't really hurt to go no huddle a few times and bite the bullet IMO.
I think we are in agreement that the offense was fine until late in the 4th. IMO, The staff needs to focus on fixing the pass defense and the kick coverage before they open up the offense to riskier plays (turnovers).
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
One of the things that stood out for in Sunday's game was, love him or hate him, Orton clearly has a pretty firm grasp of the offense and we looked an entirely different team running the 2 minute drill.

Also some calls were late coming in and we stuck with a two back set look later in the game that slowed down their pass rush much better.

With that in mind should we go no huddle for a series or two if the offense continues to struggle? The key reason I would go for this is that a no huddle offense can make the blocking assignments for the OL simpler and the D can't easily sub replacements so the D's front 7 can quickly tire out making the job of our OL easier.

We already have a QB that can run the offense well and what looks to be a decent set of WRs down to the slot.

Why not maximise what little strength we have and hide the obvious weakenesses along the OL by trying out the no huddle for a series or two?

I like the idea. I think Orton is smart enough to run the no huddle and is familiar enough with the offense to audible into some good plays. Gives him the chance to see the same personnel on consecutive plays and audible into a play that takes advantage of those personnel. I do wonder if McD is will to acquiesce and allow someone other than himself to call a play or two? I don't see why he wouldn't, not like Orton doesn't have the ability to change the plays at the line now, right?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

We should do it at home. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the no-huddle in Denver at altitude with an opposing defense sucking wind? My lungs just hurt thinking about how we used to have a home field advantage.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

With the new rule change for the 2010 season, IT pretty much ended the era of hurry up/no huddle play calling. With the ref having to get set behind the running back agter placing the ball, there is really no hurry up any longer... Just ask Peyton Manning about this, he hates the new rule.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
With the new rule change for the 2010 season, IT pretty much ended the era of hurry up/no huddle play calling. With the ref having to get set behind the running back agter placing the ball, there is really no hurry up any longer... Just ask Peyton Manning about this, he hates the new rule.
no one had any issues running the hurry up this weekend. In fact, the Colts were in the hurry up a few times while the broncos were on the rain delay