The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli
Default 5,200 Unsold Seats at New Meadowlands Opener

Quote:
Empty seats mar New Meadowlands Stadium unveiling
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 13, 2010 1:43 PM ET
Football is more popular than ever. That's why the scores of empty seats during the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium on Sunday was so embarrassing.

"It's heartbreaking," running back Brandon Jacobs said after the game.

As detailed by Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, the two sections of club seats in the mezzanine level opposite the Giants bench were almost completely empty. A typical price for one of those seats: $12,500 for a PSL and $500 per ticket.

The seats aren't seen on television, so they aren't quite as embarrassing as the empty seats at Yankees and Mets games. But they represent another cold miscalculation by out of touch owners that somehow overpriced the most overpriced sports fans in the country.

Myers writes that roughly 5,200 seats were unsold. Despite almost unending demand.

The Giants love to point out that they are classier than the Jets. But they treat even their obscenely rich fans with similar disdain. (Only obscenely rich fans are allowed in the mezzanine level, of course.)

How about the Giants admit a mistake, drop the prices, and let some of the fans they say they care so much about watch some football?

The unsold seats are only going to grow after opening day.
My guess is that we'll be seeing a lot of this around the league. Listening to billionaire owners bicker with millionaire players all offseason has honestly put a damper on my love for the NFL, and I doubt I'm alone. Especially when you see stuff like this. The whole concept of a PSL is ridiculous.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Whether by choice or necessity, it's good to see fans speaking with their wallet.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Catering to the corporations and their $$$ while ignoring the fans who built the franchises and this is what you get.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Catering to the corporations and their $$$ while ignoring the fans who built the franchises and this is what you get.
...and it couldn't be more pleasing
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

If the Broncos keep "sanitizing" the experience they'll have empty seats soon enough.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I agree with 'Nut. NFL has begun phasing out the Tailgating scene and driving away the fans that actually support their team regardless of how good the team is, the weather etc.

Quote:
A review of guidelines at several stadiums found that other NFL teams are moving their tailgaters farther away from stadiums or instituting stricter rules.

In Chicago, the Bears prohibit fans without tickets from being in stadium parking lots during the game. According to newspaper reports, that was done to discourage drunkenness and troublemakers.

Like the Cowboys, the Washington Redskins also announced they were moving tailgaters to the back of some of their lots.

Hans Steiniger, a Detroit resident who is documenting his tour of every NFL stadium at his Quest for 31 Web site, said tailgating is much less of a free-for-all than it once was. Teams and the league seem to be much more concerned about fire safety, security and cutting down on drunkenness.

Brett Daniels, a Cowboys spokesman, said the rule changes that started last year were designed to benefit everyone going to the games. He said locating the tailgaters at the edge of the parking lots gives them a grassy, landscaped setting for their parties and also separates them from the rest of the traffic.

"It gets them out of the driving lanes and pathways of the incoming cars coming into the stadium," Daniels said.

Shelby Kelly, a member of the Cowboys Nation Syndicate tailgating group, said she's optimistic about the move to the new stadium and what it'll mean for fans. Like players, fans often resist changing their routines and rituals.

"I know people are upset about the change at the moment, but I think in the long run they're going to see that it has some huge benefits, not just networking but getting to know the community and your fellow fans," Kelly said.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...g.3cc6c8d.html

Quote:
New York Jets fan Luke Maxson says the NFL's push to crack down on drunken and disruptive fans by limiting tailgating to 3 hours before each game might be the "final nail" that makes him give up his 16 season tickets.

Maxson, an ad executive from Mahopac, N.Y., and his brother Dave already are exchanging their lower-level seats for upper-deck seats at New York's new $1.6 billion stadium next season to avoid paying tens of thousands of dollars in personal seat license fees. He calls tailgating limits a money grab by teams wanting to force fans to pay for food and drink inside stadiums. If the NFL and its teams are so worried about drunken fans, they should drop alcohol sales and sponsorships, he said before the Jets' game Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...nfl-fans_N.htm

Eventually it's not going to be worth the hassle and money for most fans.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

They take the fans for granted. I think a work stoppage next year will open their eyes to where their money really comes from. And by then it may be too late. I never, ever thought I could give up on the NFL, I still don't know if I can not watch games but I would have no problem with this thing blowing up in their face.....and mainly their wallets.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post

Eventually it's not going to be worth the hassle and money for most fans.
It already isn't worth it IMO, and I say that as I was able to go to the game this Sunday here in Jax. We paid $250 for 2 tickets alone, I couldn't imagine a full season of tickets, parking, food, stadium beer, etc. I have Sunday Ticket, and a nice TV for cheaper than one year of season tix. No hassle of having to fight traffic and park, I can have friends over to hang out and grill, comfy couch, etc.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

definitely not worth going to more than one game a year, and even then, only if its convenient.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Well, to be honest, if it weren't for my better half, I would have given up this year.
Heck, I could buy a 60" HD entertainment center with the money I spend on tickets each year and take a vacation to an island with the money spent on parking and tailgating supplies.

.....and then considering the rules designed to "De claw" the home field advantage and fan participation, it just leaves a ****ty taste in my mouth. Then add in the bandwagon/ fairweather fans, and I just want to kick the **** out of some a-hole who desparately needs an asskicking. The ****ing R E S P E C T blip they run on the jumbotron makes me want to barf. Bunch of sell out clowns!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

That's simply too much money for seats to a regular season football game.

Even people that can afford those prices, realize that taking 4 people to a football game and spending $2000 on the tickets alone (not including the PSL) is a lousy ROI.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
That's simply too much money for seats to a regular season football game.

Even people that can afford those prices, realize that taking 4 people to a football game and spending $2000 on the tickets alone (not including the PSL) is a lousy ROI.
ROI? What exactly are you investing in? That "investment" is as sound as Enron stock.

I've mentioned numerous times my disdain for where everything is going. Add that atop the fact that I didn't really care for a live game and I'm perfectly content sitting at home.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I go to games for 50 to a 100 bucks a ticket. Take the Bronco Bus in for like 5 bucks and carry a sack of beers. Have a beer each half and water. Cheap as you can do it.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
ROI? What exactly are you investing in? That "investment" is as sound as Enron stock.

I've mentioned numerous times my disdain for where everything is going. Add that atop the fact that I didn't really care for a live game and I'm perfectly content sitting at home.
You are investing your free time and your entertainment money into those tickets.

If you don't feel like you receive adequate enjoyment from that investment, then you don't buy the tickets.

That term doesn't apply only to financial investments.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 09-13-2010 at 10:45 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Last game I went was a pre season game I took my daughter and wanted to treat her to good seats I paid $750 for Club level - never again
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I really think it is time for the fans to show the owners and players a lesson. We really need a website of Season ticket holders across the NFL. We need a season ticket holder and Fan UNION!

In essence, Screw them in their fight over our money being divided. The players think they made a statement with their one finger gesture, fans need to come together to show the NFL we do not appreciate the current fan situation!

I propose that we as fans boycott the week 12 games of the NFL season completely and simply NOT show up to any of the games. Yes, we eat the tix price and simply NOT show up and leave the stadiums eampty for TV. We agree to not buy any NFL merchandise that week, not watch any of the games on TV, and basically destroy this ridiculous agreement that leaves fans out in the Cold and lets people with big money eat revenue!

This would be a huge sacrifice to most of us fans, but it would make a serious point to the entitled NFL that the fans are NOT going to take a labor stoppage and if it happens it WILL hurt your bottom line.....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Problem is, the tickets are already sold. The owners have already made their money there. They'd lose a little on parking and concessions, but that figure is a fraction of 1 percent of what they get from every other part of the team.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Problem is, the tickets are already sold. The owners have already made their money there. They'd lose a little on parking and concessions, but that figure is a fraction of 1 percent of what they get from every other part of the team.
No, its not about the Ticket money. It's about the TV revenue. You drop the ratings by 10,000% for a game and the NFL will lose money on their TV revenues. That is where they are making the money, not ticket sales. Plus, the road team owners will not lose anything.

It's about telling the NFL they are a bunch of entitled and greedy Bastards who have lost their audience that pays their bills. It can be done, but it would take a huge vision and great fan base support!

Plus, we want them to see what their support will be if there is a work stoppage. Less revenue to split for both sides and it not being an idle threat like the Unions ridiculous posturing....

Last edited by Mediator12; 09-14-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #19
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Personal seat licenses are the culprit here. Absolutely insane to fork over 12k just to have the right to buy tickets at full price. Bat**** insane.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
No, its not about the Ticket money. It's about the TV revenue. You drop the ratings by 10,000% for a game and the NFL will lose money on their TV revenues. That is where they are making the money, not ticket sales. Plus, the road team owners will not lose anything.
I was focusing on the "don't go to the game" portion of your argument.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Seriously, I hear a ton of Moaning and Crying around here. Let's Turn that energy into something worthwhile!

This should be the NFL FAN BAN. Week 12 or later so all the bye weeks are done. Every NFL FAN agrees to do something else that week. No buying NFL merchandise. No Going to Games. No watching on TV. This would be a real statement to the owners. And, it would really represent the fans view of this whole stupid overpriced piece of Entertainment.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I was focusing on the "don't go to the game" portion of your argument.
It's a sacrifice, but nothing will get the NFL's attention more than 16 empty stadiums and No one watching on TV. See, People in the US have a hard time giving up things

If you want to make a point you have to be willing to sacrifice. The media would absolutely LOVE to see Empty Stadium's across the league. Those are Pictures that will remain FOREVER! Any time the NFL wants to just screw the customer (fans) so that they can become more wealthy, all you need to do is activate the FAN UNION and show them the pictures!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I will personally guaranty that I won't watch any games on tv or in person next year if there is a lockout.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I will personally guaranty that I won't watch any games on tv or in person next year if there is a lockout.
I knew someone else would step up!

Wait, what sacrifice!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

With HD TV and the programing available why would anyone pay that much. I usually go to at least 1 broncos game a year, but it is a financial blood bath for me (travel, lodging, tickets (ouch), and drinks/food at the games it is a $1000 weekend minimum.

Who can aford that in this economic time?

Especially for the Broncos and similar teams who have to pull from the region (I live 5 hours away) and not just Denver.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote