The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default Brief Thoughts on Jaguars game.

Brief Thoughts on Jaguars game.

I liked this thread concept and wanted to keep it going. Credit Kaylor.
  • Liked our short yardage run game
  • Liked our short yardage run defense
  • Brandon Lloyed will be a force this season
  • We will miss Elvis big time
  • Kyle Orton looks good

Last edited by LonghornBronco; 09-12-2010 at 03:22 PM..
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Agree on pretty much all of this. But I have to add that Royal will be a force too, he had some great YAC and that stiff arm was awesome!

Slowshon needs to figure out he isn't on Dancing With the Stars. He tries to hard!

Thats all I wanted to add!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

we better get special teams coverage fixed or we will lose games we shouldn't
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Healthy OL Thomas and a better running game we'll be fine on O. D on the other hand not sure how much it gets better.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This game was close. We won the "stats game", including our ex-coaches favorite stat total yardage...

Orton and our receiving corp sure don't look like we'll miss Cutler or Marshall. I personally think Orton played phenomenal and is CLEARLY a top 10 QB IMO. I would try to find ways to utilize this strength... like perhaps some no-huddle or hurry up. Orton is very good at diagnosing the defense and making quick decisions. We should take advantage of that.

Our special teams continue to plague us. When was the last time we had good special teams?

Missing opportunities cost us as well, namely fumbles and poor third down conversion.

All in all, playing with a make-shift OL, I think we did pretty well. But if we are going to have any success this season we need to get 5 guys in there that can start and develop some rapport and consistency. I don't think that running Clady in and out of the game helps things much either. Ryan Harris had 1 good season for us, but that guy is starting to look like he's made of paper.

Last edited by bloodsunday; 09-12-2010 at 03:39 PM..
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

• Moreno looks good.
  • The line played better than I thought.
  • Orton played very well. As he develops he'll have a good year. He still needs to work on running for the easy first downs. He started to in the second half.
  • I thought we were going to bring smart players into this team. McBean went all Jamie Winborn on us.
  • We gave this game to the Jags. The penalties and turnovers were terrible. Fumbles in the redzone. Holding calls on third down. Those are what kill drives and take off points. It's upsetting.
  • I still think we need to fire Mike Priefer. He's never coached a good ST unit. It looks like our ST is picking right up where we left off: sucking horribly. Too many big returns by the Jags and too many starts with little to no return and bad field position by us. If he's still here next season and we haven't improved, that will deal a major blow to my support of McDaniels.
  • We miss Dumervil.
  • The Jags have our number. Always have. We suck playing in Florida. I think I saw a stat where we've won one September game in Florida in our history.

I do think we played well in a variety of areas. I just hope we get better. The Jags are supposed to suck.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
  • Moreno looks good.
  • The line played better than I thought.
  • Orton played very well. As he develops he'll have a good year. He still needs to work on running for the easy first downs. He started to in the second half.
  • I thought we were going to bring smart players into this team. McBean went all Jamie Winborn on us.
  • We gave this game to the Jags. The penalties and turnovers were terrible. Fumbles in the redzone. Holding calls on third down. Those are what kill drives and take off points. It's upsetting.
  • I still think we need to fire Mike Priefer. He's never coached a good ST unit. It looks like our ST is picking right up where we left off: sucking horribly. Too many big returns by the Jags and too many starts with little to no return and bad field position by us. If he's still here next season and we haven't improved, that will deal a major blow to my support of McDaniels.
  • We miss Dumervil.
  • The Jags have our number. Always have. We suck playing in Florida. I think I saw a stat where we've won one September game in Florida in our history.

I do think we played well in a variety of areas. I just hope we get better. The Jags are supposed to suck.
Well, we have a long history of kicking the Seahags asses. At least when Big John was in the huddle.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

- Run blocking was between bad and worse, we rarely got any push and the only time we ever gained yards on the ground was on plays when the RB made the play and didn't have to rely on blocking.

- Pass blocking was okay except for Daniels who is not NFL level, he got beat several times.

- Pass offense was fine until the game was on the line, then Lloyd found a perfect time to have sloppy footwork and Orton a perfect time to throw into double coverage and turn the ball over.

- Run offense was bad, Moreno had a few good runs and did well on short yard situations but as a whole you don't win a lot of games with a 3 yard per carry average and the Buckhalter fumble was a killer.

- Rush defense was so so, they largely stopped the big runs but the contain on the outside was pitiful and MJD gained yards after being stopped on more than a couple of occasions. They held up well in the middle though. Hunter got absolutely humiliated when trying to set the edge, he often ended up just standing around while MJD ran right by him.

- Pass defense was good for long stretches, but the pass rush was lackluster and zone coverage absolutely killed us. Everytime I saw us drop into that 3 rush zone defense I had this horrible flash that Slowik is really inside Martindale controlling his actions. It is clear that Mario Haggan has absolutely no business covering anybody, he is slower than frozen molasses running uphill.

- Kick coverage needs a lot of work, I can't believe how easy it looked for Underwood to take the ball back to the 40 yard line.

I really worry, the Jaguars had the worst pass rush last season and we couldn't keep them away, their secondary is held together with twine and birthday wishes and we still couldn't light it up in the red zone and their pass offense is a veritable who-the-****-is-that and yet they put up 3 TDs and an almost 80% completion rate.

We started slow last year and only won game 1 on a miracle, but we have a LONG ass way to go to be able to compete with good teams.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
PRBronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I missed the fourth quarter but read on Twitter that McD tore Richard Quinn a new one during a time out, what'd he do?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

couldnt get the correct formation so kyle had to use a TO.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I missed the fourth quarter but read on Twitter that McD tore Richard Quinn a new one during a time out, what'd he do?
The announcers had a funny! They said Orton had to take a TO to avoid a penalty and to allow McD the opportunity to rip into Quinn longer. It was hilarious!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Agree on pretty much all of this. But I have to add that Royal will be a force too, he had some great YAC and that stiff arm was awesome!

Slowshon needs to figure out he isn't on Dancing With the Stars. He tries to hard!

Thats all I wanted to add!
Need to show him some Barry Sanders highlights then tell him "you aren't this good" Then show him some TD highlights with his cut and go and tell him this is more like it.

Last edited by dsmoot; 09-12-2010 at 04:49 PM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Well, we have a long history of kicking the Seahags asses. At least when Big John was in the huddle.
Last time I looked Big John is not in the huddle.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

My thoughts:
- Orton looked good, as did the receivers - that will at least make us mediocre.
- OL looked OK given the youth - I think there is real potential here though.
- Moreno looks like he is still injured - off balance and clumsy.
- Elvis was the pass rush. Barely anything after that.
- Not impressed with Bannan, Jamal, Haggan, and Hunter - yes they are big, but they are slow. TEs and off tackle runs are gonna eat us alive.
- Safeties looked bad today - Dawkins and Hill both looked old.
- Special teams coverage was atrocious. Felt like groundhog day.
- Typical hot day in FL - not an excuse but we suck in the humidity.
- McD - I still think he is a good coach, but he is way to pass happy. No real balance.

Last edited by gtown; 09-12-2010 at 04:53 PM..
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

-- Not even getting a field goal try on first drive sucked

-- Buckhalter's fumble sucked worse

-- Tebow package needs to be a lot cooler if they're going to take Orton out

-- We need to remember defense needs to gel. DJ, Dawkins, Champ all missed time. Hunter has been playing LB for three weeks, Haggan is new to the inside.

-- Jamal Williams is not close to the monster he used to be

-- McMonkey McBean is a tool

-- Knowshon looked better than I thought he would. Can't believe he didn't reinjure his hammy on that 17-yard run
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nice to see at least one thread not calling the season over already or other dip**** crap. Anybody really saw this team being a Super Bowl team? Have the Broncos ever won a game in Jacksonville? Orton is playing well, but until the o-line gets healthy and better, they will struggle to run the ball.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

The 2nd TD to Lewis I saw coming the whole way, Dawkins lines up against him late. As much as a love him, he's a liability in coverage.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
The 2nd TD to Lewis I saw coming the whole way, Dawkins lines up against him late. As much as a love him, he's a liability in coverage.
Wore my BDawk jersey proudly today, but the pass happy NFL has made him a bit of a relic. Sad, but guys like him, Atwater, et al are fun to watch.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Completely agree on Moreno trying too hard, dancing, etc....I like the high energy but he needs to settle down some, be more patient and for Gods sake please be more decisive when running the ball. Make your damn decision then head UPFIELD.

Save the dancing for the endzone.

Third down conversions sucked, and the special teams coverage was God awful.

Ryan McBean STILL needs punched in the face for 30 yards in penalties on the same drive to help them go ahead.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Need to show him some Barry Sanders highlights then tell him "you aren't this good" Then show him some TD highlights with his cut and go and tell him this is more like it.
Or the Houston game today. Man that was like 97 Broncos with cutbacks!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Or the Houston game today. Man that was like 97 Broncos with cutbacks!

Pffffft - the NFL has passed that type of offense up. It won't work in today's NFL
Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Pffffft - the NFL has passed that type of offense up. It won't work in today's NFL
Man you could have counted me in that group that thought that until I watched part of that game where Arian Foster went insane!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Man you could have counted me in that group that thought that until I watched part of that game where Arian Foster went insane!
That dude is going to be something in this league, I just have this feeling.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
- Not impressed with Bannan, Jamal, Haggan, and Hunter - yes they are big, but they are slow. TEs and off tackle runs are gonna eat us alive.
To be fair speed isn't really a requisite at Bannan's and, even more so, Jamal's positions...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #25
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Nice to see at least one thread not calling the season over already or other dip**** crap. Anybody really saw this team being a Super Bowl team? Have the Broncos ever won a game in Jacksonville? Orton is playing well, but until the o-line gets healthy and better, they will struggle to run the ball.
OL has THREE Rookies starting , and Clady banged up still. It's going to get better, real soon now. Just don't count on when.
Best news today...no more injuries!
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote