The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Bailey new contract?

With Revis and now Woodson getting new deals done, do you think that it puts pressure on the Broncos to sign Bailey? Over the last seven years Champ has been a constant force on one side of the field and Denver has yet to find that other CB to compliment him. I think it's important that we sign him to a 3 year deal to allow some of these young DB's to develop. What are your guys thought regarding Champ? Does he retire a Bronco, or does he move on after this year? If he does move on how much will he be missed?
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

11-5 in 2009

I don't think we give Bailey Revis-type money. But we definitely pay him. That man should retire in blue and orange.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Woodson supposedly got 5yr/55 mil at age 33. Pretty steep price considering Revis only got a little more cash and is much younger. Wonder what Bailey's agent is thinking on where Champ's numbers should come in and can we afford it after the Doom contract
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

McDaniels has said he wants to make sure Bailey stays a Bronco for "the rest of his career". FYI he said something similar about Dumervil and Kuper and both got contracts a few months after these things were said. So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Remains to be seen if an extension happens.

Champ wants to see the Broncos improve into a Super Bowl contender before he commits long term, and management/Bowlen want Champ to lower his contract demands.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.
Nice! Britton Colquitt style locked up?
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
McDaniels has said he wants to make sure Bailey stays a Bronco for "the rest of his career". FYI he said something similar about Dumervil and Kuper and both got contracts a few months after these things were said. So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.
From a business stand point it might be wise to see what the stable of new kids do first. That said I really hope Champ finishes his career in Denver.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
yerner
Ring of Famer

Where is Champ from? I wouldn't be surprised if he tis thinking about moving to the south. I could see Atlanta.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Where is Champ from? I wouldn't be surprised if he tis thinking about moving to the south. I could see Atlanta.
tough search i know...born in Georgia, played @ Georgia

NFL.COM PLAYER PROFILE
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I think the drafting of Alphonso Smith last year plus us drafting Cox and Thompson means that McX don't plan on resigning Champ.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

They will lock him up when the time is right there is no need to rush anything
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
From a business stand point it might be wise to see what the stable of new kids do first. That said I really hope Champ finishes his career in Denver.
He can play FS after B-Dawk retires.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
He can play FS after B-Dawk retires.
He sure could but at what cost?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP-06 View Post
Woodson supposedly got 5yr/55 mil at age 33. Pretty steep price considering Revis only got a little more cash and is much younger. Wonder what Bailey's agent is thinking on where Champ's numbers should come in and can we afford it after the Doom contract
Woodson was also defensive player of the year last year over Revis. Champ wasn't even in the conversation. His demands shouldn't be as much as Woodson's.

That's also the max value of his contract and I'm sure he'll make significantly less than that if he doesn't hit certain escalators.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
I think the drafting of Alphonso Smith last year plus us drafting Cox and Thompson means that McX don't plan on resigning Champ.
And the signing of Brady Quinn and the drafting of Tim Tebow means that Orton won't be extended past this yea... Oh wait.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, because Champ and Orton situations are exactly alike. No way a player with Champs ability signs a 1 year extension with a non-playoff team.

Champ will more than likely get his money somewhere, so if McD can't turn this around and convince Champ that we're moving in the right direction, he's gone.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Champ will more than likely get his money somewhere, so if McD can't turn this around and convince Champ that we're moving in the right direction, he's gone.
are you this dense? champ is completely convinced this team is in the right direction, and hes said so publicly and privately several times this offseason. why do people like you make **** up to try and create more drama where there is none?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Yeah, because Champ and Orton situations are exactly alike. No way a player with Champs ability signs a 1 year extension with a non-playoff team.

let me put it this way.....

Champ loves McDaniels....unless they try to undercut him, he will resign with the notion that he will move to Safety in a few years.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

With all of the big contracts going out, I wouldn't be suprised if he is signed.
He is still playing at a high level.
FYI - Tom Brady will sign a 4 year 19 mil per year - damn!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #20
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post

Champ loves McDaniels....unless they try to undercut him, he will resign with the notion that he will move to Safety in a few years.
Because you've got an in to their personal relationship? Sure...

Bailey may stay if he gets another pay day, but at this point in his career, he'll more than likely get paid a comparable amount from most teams and I would expect him to pick the best one situated to make a Super Bowl run.

In all likely hood, that won't be the Broncos.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 09-10-2010 at 12:14 AM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

My opinion has not changed too much on this. I still think the 5 factors I outlined earlier should control. A review of those factors post-camp probably still militates against giving Bailey a very rich extension.

1) Progress of Smith/Cox/Carter-
Prior Comment: If at least one has a very strong campaign, it may be more efficient to take a moderate reduction in quality (I'm assuming that what would be a "very strong" year for one of those three would equate to a moderate dropoff from where Champ currently is, i.e. # 3-#5 at the position in the NFL) in exchange for a deep reduction in salary.
Current Comment: Well Smith and Carter are gone, but Squid and Cox have stepped up. If that holds, it would make it less likely that Bailey gets an extension as the staff might be more willing to take the trade-off noted above.

2) Whether Dumervil extension is reached before the franchise tag needs to be used (thus freeing it up)-
Prior Comment: A very underrated factor. If a deal gets done, Denver can then afford to kick the decision down the road another year with Bailey by tagging him. The availability of the tag would probably seriously hamper extension efforts.
Current Comment: Now that Doom's deal is done, this factor also militates against giving Bailey a very rich extension, since the team has additional leverage by way of the franchise tag (if there is a season next year) so they could kick it down the road another year, when Bailey is another year into his 30s.

3) Do Champ's CB cover skills significantly erode in 2010?
Prior Comment: Obviously an important factor, probably the most important of the lot, but still not determinative by itself, since he could always transition to safety.
Current Comment: Nothing has changed on this, yet. A proper evaluation of this factor will be ready in December.

4) Is a CBA agreement reached?
Prior Comment: Always important to consider, especially in the case where you have already given one big extension to someone else (Dumervil). If that deal gets done, it may be asking a bit much from the team to give two large extensions in the same summer with the uncertainty involved.
Current Comment: Still no extension reached and nothing remotely on the horizon. With sizeable deals being issued to Dumervil and Kuper already, I have a hard time seeing another big deal coming without CBA certainty.

5) Do Bruton and McBath progress at safety?
TBD.

Prior Comment: If you can answer "Yes" to 1, 3 and 5, then he's gone. If you can answer "Yes" to just 3 and 5, he's still gone.
Current Comment: I still largely believe this, although the wildcard is the negotiation between the two sides on the issue of when should it be reasonably expected that Champ will move to safety from corner. The team will argue its going to be very soon and he should be paid like a good safety rather than a good corner and Champ will argue he still has 4 or 5 years left at corner. If he's flexible on that issue and the kids at safety don't step up, it might be enough to counteract some of the other factors, but we'll see.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #22
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
are you this dense? champ is completely convinced this team is in the right direction, and hes said so publicly and privately several times this offseason. why do people like you make **** up to try and create more drama where there is none?
Champ Bailey is a good company man, he says what you want to hear and is a professional about things. There are times where you can read between the lines on what he thinks about certain situations. He's a smart NFL player.

That being said, he has also stated and it's known that he wants to win a Super Bowl before his career is over. To me, it's playoffs or Champ is bye bye after this season.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post

I don't mean any disrespect to Champ, but I don't see him as a safety at all. And I don't know why he'd ever want to punish his body enough to move to a foriegn position that requires a lot more head on collision than he has to take at the corner spot. Champ is clearly a good tackler, but there's a pretty big difference between the kinds of tackles a safety has to make and the kinds a CB has to make. I would be very suprised to learn that Champ wanted to put his body through a transition like that.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #24
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't mean any disrespect to Champ, but I don't see him as a safety at all. And I don't know why he'd ever want to punish his body enough to move to a foriegn position that requires a lot more head on collision than he has to take at the corner spot. Champ is clearly a good tackler, but there's a pretty big difference between the kinds of tackles a safety has to make and the kinds a CB has to make. I would be very suprised to learn that Champ wanted to put his body through a transition like that.
He's already put his body through harm by the way he plays, its rare to see a corner tackle the way Champ does. Champ's already dealt with the shoulder and other injury issues. I think he would be fine making the transition to Safety, so that's not an issue...it's just a matter of when he should make that transition. He won't be a John Lynch tackler but he will provide more than adequate coverage and tackling skills to the position.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Give Bailey a fair deal and he will take it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote