The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default Scouts Inc. Week 1 Broncos-Jaguars

Broncos-Jaguars: 10 observations

By Matt Williamson
Denver at Jacksonville
When: 1:00 PM ET
Watch: CBS
Preview
More scouting reports: Week 1
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
QB: Den
RB: Jack
WR: Jack
OL: Den
DL: Den
LB: Jack
DB: Den
ST: Den
Coach: Jack (??)

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Broncos-Jaguars matchup.

1. Deal with the heat: Denver's starters, like those on all teams in the league, have yet to really play a full game. Conditioning is always a potential problem at the start of season, but that is doubly important this week for the Broncos as they travel to sultry Jacksonville. If this game stays close in the fourth quarter, that favors the Jaguars.

2. Force Jacksonville to the air: Denver has one of the best secondaries in the league. Because of this, the Broncos should be able to dedicate extra defenders near the line of scrimmage to dare David Garrard to throw. This plays to Denver's strengths and to Jacksonville's weaknesses.

3. Account for a wide variety of offensive personnel: The Jaguars are not known for it of late, but they now offer a wide variety of skill sets from their potential pass-catchers. TEs Marcedes Lewis and Zach Miller are vastly different in what they offer. The same is true with the group of receivers. From that crew, keep an eye on under-the-radar Mike Thomas, who could be on the verge of a breakout season.

4. Exploit the safeties: Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has an excellent offensive mind. He needs to figure out how to get isolation routes against the Jaguars' safeties, which is a major weakness in this defense. Reggie Nelson was traded and Gerald Alexander was cut, leaving Anthony Smith, Sean Considine, Tyron Brackenridge and Courtney Greene to man the position. None of these four should be feared in any way. In fact, they are targets.

5. Matchup to watch: Broncos WR Jabar Gaffney vs. Jaguars CB Rashean Mathis: The Broncos' wide receivers will line up in various spots in the formation, but as it stands today, Gaffney is the closest thing Denver has to a No. 1 option at the position. Still, expect to see a lot of three wide receiver sets and Mathis might not get a lot of help in Week 1.

6. Maurice Jones-Drew's health: Jones-Drew recently had a procedure done on his knee and was shut down for the remainder of the preseason. Is he OK and ready to go? The Jaguars don't seem concerned on the exterior, but it wouldn't be a surprise if Rashad Jennings received double-digit touches in this contest.

7. Get interior pressure: The Broncos will be starting two rookies on the interior of their offensive line, and Kyle Orton isn't a particularly mobile quarterback. Getting a consistent push up the middle is imperative for the Jaguars this week. Much of the pressure to accomplish this goal falls on first-round selection Tyson Alualu, which is exactly why the Jaguars used such a high pick on him.

8. Handle NT Jamal Williams: Williams certainly is not a young man any more or as much of a difference-maker as he once was, but he can eliminate an interior running game almost single-handedly. Compounding matters, Jacksonville's interior offensive line was very weak last year. There are some new bodies up front. Will the results be any better? This will be a good test.

9. Win the quarterback hit battle: Garrard took a beating last season. He was constantly battered when he dropped back. On the flip side, the Jaguars really had a tough time getting to opposing quarterbacks in any way, shape or form. They hope the addition of Aaron Kampman will help in that regard. Rushing the passer is extremely important in today's NFL. The Jaguars need to improve on both sides of the ball in this department.

10. Matchup to watch: Jaguars LT Eugene Monroe vs. Broncos ROLB Robert Ayers: This will be a crucial matchup between very young former first-round picks who have not yet lived up to their draft slot, but do show some potential to do so. Ayers really is the Broncos' only dangerous pass-rusher, and he has been very potent this preseason. He needs to have a great game -- and season -- to take some pressure off Denver's pass defense.

Prediction
Denver 14
Jacksonville 17

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scout...meId=300912030
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Ah, time for the first ****ty Scouts Inc. prediction of the year. It's so funny to see the difference between the "analysis" and the final score prediction.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Again it all looks like things favour the Broncos then they pick the other team to win. Scouts Inc - same as it ever was.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

I just dont understand how these guys keep picking Jax over us. How can their WR corps be better than ours? Cmon. The RB situation is suspect for both teams. Yes they have MJD but lets be honest, he isnt the same RB
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
10. Matchup to watch: Jaguars LT Eugene Monroe vs. Broncos ROLB Robert Ayers: This will be a crucial matchup between very young former first-round picks who have not yet lived up to their draft slot, but do show some potential to do so. Ayers really is the Broncos' only dangerous pass-rusher, and he has been very potent this preseason. He needs to have a great game -- and season -- to take some pressure off Denver's pass defense.
This. No pressure and it won't matter how good our secondary is.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

More hate because of Quitler and Big Baby M episodes? Looks like they are getting info from one of the esteemed DP hacks.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ah... Nothing says "football season is here" like Scouts Inc predicting a 3 or 4 point margin of victory.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Lol I forgot about the Tyson Alualu pick.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Darkdoc
Bronco fan since '66

Who knows much of anything solid or specific until the first couple of games are played. It is all speculation at this point.

We'll know more about the game planning, QB and receivers, OL and DL, and even the running game once the first string players are in the game consistently and we see what the new guys on the team can offer, and what two years under McD's system is like.

Predictions of either doom and despair or victory and glory are mostly guesses at this point (although I love being a homer as much as anyone else, and have high hopes - one reason why this is so much fun).
Darkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Ray_Lewis'_Victim
Corpse

Quote:
So, they just replaced all of last year's "Dumerville vs OT" observations and replaced them with Ayers vs OT?
Ray_Lewis'_Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

3 points to the home team.....so they're saying that they have no idea?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Broncos-Jaguars: 10 observations

By Matt Williamson
Denver at Jacksonville
When: 1:00 PM ET
Watch: CBS
Preview
More scouting reports: Week 1
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
QB: Den
RB: Jack
WR: Jack
OL: Den
DL: Den
LB: Jack
DB: Den
ST: Den
Coach: Jack (??)
wait, what?
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

31 - 17 Denver, coaching trumps heat this day.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

I would pick Jacksonville in this game as well for one reason. The Broncos suck in Florida in the early season and they are totally unproven. Do I hope our advantages overcome that, yes, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

WR- does not favor Jaxonville in any way shape form or fashion or any other thing.

Our wr are great. It is still really funny to see how short peoples memmories are.

The pats when they won their superbowls had, givens, branch, gaffers, caldwell and some other guys. None of which have done anything else anywhere, gaff aside.

But all people can think about or remember is welker, and moss. They think without a big name like that we wont do jack, when in fact the pats havent won anything with those guys.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
31 - 17 Denver, coaching trumps heat this day.
Yeah I will say our coaching >>>>>>>>>> anything the Jags have. I still don't think it will be enough, but I don't expect us to get out-schemed.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
3 points to the home team.....so they're saying that they have no idea?
spot on. they don't have a friggen clue.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah I will say our coaching >>>>>>>>>> anything the Jags have. I still don't think it will be enough, but I don't expect us to get out-schemed.
I think he will game plan to factor in the heat. I think we will rotate in players a lot more than normal. Use time outs when we need a blow and try to control the TOP.

Hopefully to explore the best high tech ways to stay cool and hydrated on the sidelines.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...497?source=rss

I can't start a new thread, so I'll put this here. One quote in the article I wasn't sure I understood (below) ... is he talking about Harris getting better every day or Clady? Who does he not think will be out there today - Clady or Harris? At first I thought he was talking about Clady, but now I think Harris instead.

"Clady will play. Ryan is getting better every day," McDaniels said this morning. "(I) don't think he's going to be out there today. We're going to take all week and see what happens, but Clady will definitely play. No question."
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Where do you see Jacksonville with a big advantage over Denver? Don't hand me the heat, a good chunk of this team grew up playing in the heat. It's not like it's been chilly here in Denver during training camp either.

Lets put Florida aside. I don't see any reason the Broncos shouldn't win this easily. On paper they're the better team.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABroncoFan View Post

I can't start a new thread, so I'll put this here. One quote in the article I wasn't sure I understood (below) ... is he talking about Harris getting better every day or Clady? Who does he not think will be out there today - Clady or Harris? At first I thought he was talking about Clady, but now I think Harris instead.

"Clady will play. Ryan is getting better every day," McDaniels said this morning. "(I) don't think he's going to be out there today. We're going to take all week and see what happens, but Clady will definitely play. No question."

harris is out man. Beadles is going to play RT. Harris got his ankle rolled on from behind on the last pre season game, I think by buck no less.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

As hot as Orton's hand has been I really expect the Broncos to take the Jagwads apart. Jagfan might get their wish and see The Tebow in the fourth.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABroncoFan View Post

this would have been worth a thread

to start one make the thread title something short like "see"

Make your OP like normal and hit post thread

After you have your new thread hit edit post > go advanced > then fix your title any way you want > hit save changes
Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
As hot as Orton's hand has been I really expect the Broncos to take the Jagwads apart. Jagfan might get their wish and see The Tebow in the fourth.
That would be so cool.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Where do you see Jacksonville with a big advantage over Denver? Don't hand me the heat, a good chunk of this team grew up playing in the heat. It's not like it's been chilly here in Denver during training camp either.

Lets put Florida aside. I don't see any reason the Broncos shouldn't win this easily. On paper they're the better team.
History says you are wrong about the heat being a factor in sept. and if you think Denver heat is like Florida heat your either have never been to Florida in early sept. or never been to Denver.