The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default They already love Alphonso Smith in Detroit

Lions ball hawk Alphonso Smith has room to grow
Second-year CB has nose for interceptions
BY CARLOS MONARREZ

The Lions acquired second-year cornerback Alphonso Smith in a trade with Denver on Saturday. On Monday, one of the first things coach Jim Schwartz said he liked about Smith was his personality.

It wasn't hard to see why. Smith, a second-round pick from Wake Forest in 2009, fell out of favor with the Broncos after an unproductive rookie season. He could have angrily criticized the Broncos for discarding him. Instead, he said many factors played into the team forming a negative perception about him.

"Just the way that you carry yourself around the facility, the way you practice, the way you play, it's a lot of things that go into helping someone formulate a perception of you, perception that you really don't want to give off," he said. "Even if it wasn't the case, it's still a perception and you still give them room to make one. And that's what I did."

Smith led the nation with 15 interceptions his last two years at Wake Forest and holds the Atlantic Coast Conference record with 21 career picks. Ex-Lion Dré Bly had held the record.

"He's got a nose for the ball," Schwartz said. "I think one thing is when you look at DBs, interceptions are a little bit like sacks on the defensive line. You either have it or you don't. And he has the ability."

The Lions had their eye on Smith when he was in college. General manager Martin Mayhew believes Smith, 24, still can grow.
"A young guy with upside potential, had good college grades on him, he's worth a look as a developmental guy to try to bring along," Mayhew said. "He may give us more than just development, but a guy who definitely has ability, there's no question about that."

http://www.freep.com/article/2010090...s-room-to-grow

Last edited by montrose; 09-08-2010 at 10:56 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

b
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

.........is for apple.

And angry Broncos who want to kick off in Jaxsonvilles butt.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

c
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Not as much as they like Eminem. Terrible thread.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Lions ball hawk Alphonso Smith has room to grow
Second-year CB has nose for interceptions
BY CARLOS MONARREZ

The Lions acquired second-year cornerback Alphonso Smith in a trade with Denver on Saturday. On Monday, one of the first things coach Jim Schwartz said he liked about Smith was his personality.

It wasn't hard to see why. Smith, a second-round pick from Wake Forest in 2009, fell out of favor with the Broncos after an unproductive rookie season. He could have angrily criticized the Broncos for discarding him. Instead, he said many factors played into the team forming a negative perception about him.

"Just the way that you carry yourself around the facility, the way you practice, the way you play, it's a lot of things that go into helping someone formulate a perception of you, perception that you really don't want to give off," he said. "Even if it wasn't the case, it's still a perception and you still give them room to make one. And that's what I did."

Smith led the nation with 15 interceptions his last two years at Wake Forest and holds the Atlantic Coast Conference record with 21 career picks. Ex-Lion Dré Bly had held the record.

"He's got a nose for the ball," Schwartz said. "I think one thing is when you look at DBs, interceptions are a little bit like sacks on the defensive line. You either have it or you don't. And he has the ability."

The Lions had their eye on Smith when he was in college. General manager Martin Mayhew believes Smith, 24, still can grow.
"A young guy with upside potential, had good college grades on him, he's worth a look as a developmental guy to try to bring along," Mayhew said. "He may give us more than just development, but a guy who definitely has ability, there's no question about that."

http://www.freep.com/article/2010090...s-room-to-grow
that is great the ****ers still own us a pick . hopefully it is a good one!!!!!
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I'm glad for the kittens.

Reavis Isle.

I.E. Glligan's isle, or we just gave up the #14 pick for a better Quinn.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
I'm glad for the kittens.

Reavis Isle.

I.E. Glligan's isle, or we just gave up the #14 pick for a better Quinn.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Fluff
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
that is great the ****ers still own us a pick . hopefully it is a good one!!!!!
Where does it say they owe us a pick?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I can't wait to see what we get for the Quinn Twins.

Oakland is going to kick our ass.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

what was the pick we received for him?
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

he knows he ****ed up in denver. he may light it up in detroit, but he knows he messed up here and it was too late to undo it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Like I've been saying, watch Alphonso and Jack Williams become the best CB tandem in the league
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

ball-hawk? college was a lifetime ago, kid.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

He is a ballhawk, but they used him differently in DEN than Wake ever did. That is why I can not see them giving up on a young CB so quickly. This kid has the ability to play man and Zone from his college tape, but they totally changed coverages on him last year and played him in the slot as well. Playing the slot WR is a hell of a lot more trying than playing outside in the NFL. Coaches like to use the Slot WR as their designated mismatch in 3 WR personnel and Smith was never comfortable playing there last year.

The speed of the game mentally is the hardest to adjust to in the NFL, and the Slot is the hardest place to Cover as you have no sideline to funnel WR's in man and the crossing routes in zone are well timed if you do not press off the LOS. It's a much different Skillset than playing and anticipating on the outside. That is where Smith was exceptional in college. He knew his coverages and forced WR's into routes he could cover and make a play. In the NFL, he had to be more physical and could not get force the issue to WR's who were much smarter and more physical than college.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #17
Boomhauer

Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
He is a ballhawk, but they used him differently in DEN than Wake ever did. That is why I can not see them giving up on a young CB so quickly. This kid has the ability to play man and Zone from his college tape, but they totally changed coverages on him last year and played him in the slot as well. Playing the slot WR is a hell of a lot more trying than playing outside in the NFL. Coaches like to use the Slot WR as their designated mismatch in 3 WR personnel and Smith was never comfortable playing there last year.

The speed of the game mentally is the hardest to adjust to in the NFL, and the Slot is the hardest place to Cover as you have no sideline to funnel WR's in man and the crossing routes in zone are well timed if you do not press off the LOS. It's a much different Skillset than playing and anticipating on the outside. That is where Smith was exceptional in college. He knew his coverages and forced WR's into routes he could cover and make a play. In the NFL, he had to be more physical and could not get force the issue to WR's who were much smarter and more physical than college.
Actually agree with this assessment Med (much more than I ever did with your Karl take

Smith HAD a nose for the ball at WF for the reasons you mentioned. He was able to dictate, required the WR to adjust and he capitalized.

I agree that the size\speed ratio for a WR on the outside in the Pros is a tough matchup for Smith to overcome. Even with his above average man coverage skillset.

I don't fault the Broncos for trying him out in the slot. That is were I think he needs to play to be successful on THIS level.

However if their intent was to play him in the slot all along, then I definately do not like the value of the draft pick. I also don't like that they gave up on him this early but understand that their hand was forced based on the competion at the position. I also wouldn't describe him as a 'ballhawk' anymore until he proves it in the pros. What he did in college means about as much right now as what he did in high school.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He's a developmental guy who has potential.........isn't every young guy like that

Last edited by oubronco; 09-09-2010 at 06:24 AM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
CEH
Ring of Famer

In reality , most NFL teams make the right decision when it comes to releasing a player due to talent/effort/intelligence issues (pick 1 , 2 or all 3).
It's really the fans who get most upset but again they are not in the room day in and day out. Sure there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part the team is right

Didin't we read this same type of article two months ago.

Time to move on . Hope he performs well but history is on the side of the Denver Broncos in this case
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #21
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well Christ, what else is Detroit going to say about him?

"Damn that new corner we got from Denver really does suck."
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #22
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Fonz is just 1 of many odd /reach picks. It's not just Fonz, it's that we dumped half our ofense for reaches like Quinn and Slomoreno.

Shanny had is share but that seemed solved with he Goodmans.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeckbeard View Post
Well Christ, what else is Detroit going to say about him?

"Damn that new corner we got from Denver really does suck."
Good thing they didn't give up the #14 pick or heads would roll.

(insert Bang toon here)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #24
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We got him at a price of a first round pick. They got him for a bag of peanuts.

Why wouldn't they be excited about this?
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #25
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Denver's staff had to make a tough choice btwn compararably skilled CB's. And Phonz was partly drafted as a return man, correct? But didn't stand out returning, whereas both Cox and Syd have looked skillful as returners.

I can see the point about Smith being better suited to the outside, I've made the same point in the past. For whatever reason, the staff didn't like him there. Donatell is a pretty accomplished secondary coach and coached Smith his whole time in the NFL.

And Smith pretty much said he tanked under the pressure in Denver.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote