The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 37,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Legwold: Hunter's rise on D coincides with Moss's fall

broncos
Analysis: Hunter's rise on Denver's defense coincides with Moss' fall
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/07/2010 05:55:29 PM MDTUpdated: 09/07/2010 06:39:18 PM MDT


Broncos LB Jarvis Moss (Denver Post file photo)When the Broncos' starting defense lined up for practice Tuesday, newcomer Jason Hunter was at the weakside outside linebacker position — the position star pass rusher Elvis Dumervil usually plays.

Dumervil led the NFL in sacks last season with 17. But when he suffered a season-ending chest injury early in training camp, the Broncos spent the remainder of the preseason trying to figure out the best way to fill that hole in their defense.

Jarvis Moss, a first-round pick in the 2007 draft, was first in line. But he fractured a bone in his left hand and seemed to lose his momentum. He got pushed down inside a few times playing against the run during Denver's last two preseason games.

Hunter's rapid rise to the No. 1 defense in the short time since he was signed off waivers Aug. 19 is because of his performance and the gap between Dumervil and the players behind him.

Hunter was released by the Lions. Coach Jim Schwartz said he didn't have room for Hunter at defensive end in Detroit's revamped line, but he called Hunter "a really tough guy."

After arriving at Broncos headquarters, Hunter went about the business of making the team. He practiced hard from the start, played through the inevitable mistakes, showed some flashes in games and moved up the Denver depth chart.

In the balanced world of the NFL, one player's triumph is another's stumble, and this was a lost opportunity for Moss to strengthen his status.

Immediately after Dumervil suffered his injury in camp, some teammates said this was Moss' opportunity to get his career going. But Moss' hand injury came at the worst time. He had to miss about a week's worth of practices.

Moss will continue to battle for playing time. If he's serious about a career in the NFL, that's his best option. But for a former Florida star who was the overall 17th pick of the 2007 draft, it's another major hurdle.

Coach Josh McDaniels has said "other players" will

All Things Broncos blog

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.
play in relief of Hunter from time to time, that Hunter hasn't been with the Broncos long enough or shown enough in regular-season games to stay on the field in every down-and-distance situation.

Moss will be among those other players. But that's a long way from what he hoped his 2010 season could be.


Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

For more, see:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16014864
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,751

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.

Last edited by baja; 09-08-2010 at 01:37 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I don't think Moss will ever develop, at least not into a first round type of player.

The scary part is how a cast off from Detroit can come in here mid-August and take a starting job.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,087
Default

Moss's fall began the day he was drafted
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Hunter shoots, he SCORES!

Goes from the scrap heap to starting at the premier defensive position ... in less than a week.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
kent156
King of the Ants
 
kent156's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Paradise lost
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.

this was a nolan pick wasn't it?
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
this was a nolan pick wasn't it?
Jim Bates was DC at the time under Shanny. Shanny pick.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
Lolad
Ring of Famer
 
Fan

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,856

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.
Because I believe it's been said when he was drafted that nobody liked the pick. He's been called a bust by EVERYBODY! There isn't any more to be said
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.
*yawn*
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,667
Default

Here's the thing...

We kind of knew what we were getting from Dumervil. This year he's out and we just don't know. Time will tell but for my part, stomping around yelling about Shanny or McD makes little to no sense.

Be hopeful...sit back and watch and we'll see.

And as a side note: 2 SB victories trumps a ton of oops. When McD gets the Broncos back in the winners circle, I'll regard him that highly and forget his oops too. Until then, he's got room to grow (ala Moss) but only just so much room so starting now would be good. Shanny kind of finished slow...he didn't start out slow.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,550
Default

I think Moss could excel as a 3rd down pass rusher. The problem is when he is on the field, teams run right at him. He either doesn't engage blocks quick enough or takes bad angles to the ball carrier.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I got to see Hunter extensively during his time at App. State. He has some live pass rush ability, along with some of the attributes you want at the 3-4 OLB position. I think it's a natural fit for him as he was never going to be thick enough to excel at the 4-3 DE spot. I had a feeling he and Joe Mays were going to work their way up the board. Credit to McD on these trades/signings.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,749

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
Here's the thing...

We kind of knew what we were getting from Dumervil. This year he's out and we just don't know. Time will tell but for my part, stomping around yelling about Shanny or McD makes little to no sense.

Be hopeful...sit back and watch and we'll see.

And as a side note: 2 SB victories trumps a ton of oops. When McD gets the Broncos back in the winners circle, I'll regard him that highly and forget his oops too. Until then, he's got room to grow (ala Moss) but only just so much room so starting now would be good. Shanny kind of finished slow...he didn't start out slow.
asbolutely buys a few years of oops, but 10 straight years of "oops"? one playoff victory?

mcdaniels didnt start off slow either, 8-8 his first season. same as shanahans first season.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson
 
_Oro_'s Avatar
 
Don't run that sh*t this way.

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I don't think Moss will ever develop, at least not into a first round type of player.

The scary part is how a cast off from Detroit can come in here mid-August and take a starting job.
What's scary? Doom has a freak injury and is out for the season so now we need to find a replacement?

You make it sound like our line is so bad that just anyone can come in here and start.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer
 
Missouribronc's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,660

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
You make it sound like our line is so bad that just anyone can come in here and start.
At outside linebacker this might be true.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I got to see Hunter extensively during his time at App. State. He has some live pass rush ability, along with some of the attributes you want at the 3-4 OLB position. I think it's a natural fit for him as he was never going to be thick enough to excel at the 4-3 DE spot. I had a feeling he and Joe Mays were going to work their way up the board. Credit to McD on these trades/signings.
I thought Joe was getting some reps at OLB...at least I wasn't imagining things when I saw him lining up there during the preseason.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I thought Joe was getting some reps at OLB...at least I wasn't imagining things when I saw him lining up there during the preseason.
strict ILB.....keep him from playing in a lot of space and he'll do well.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Moss's fall began the day he was drafted
yep your right Moss ought to just crawl up into a ball just because you say and gawlee the mane says he sucks....
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

that last game moss did some really good things . He caused a punt and created a turn over . you know when the other team has a 4th down. I say this because it happens not that often as a Broncos fan
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.
Moss might have been a Jim Bates pick. Remember how Bates wanted DE that could play wide ala Jason Taylor. Bates was a disaster and might have been the start of Shanny's downfall.


That year Denver had Harrell, Moss and Timmons lined up and Timmons is the only one worth a crap. A bad pick indeed. Rumblings were that Shanny freaked becuase Marvin Lewis had Moss targeted and with the other 2 gone he made the move up.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson
 
_Oro_'s Avatar
 
Don't run that sh*t this way.

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
At outside linebacker this might be true.
I would absolutely agree that we zero depth at the position but I think Ayers
has had a great preseason and is going to give us solid play all year.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
strict ILB.....keep him from playing in a lot of space and he'll do well.
Keep him from a lot of pass coverage and he'll do even better.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why do the Shanny guys not get on Mike for this pick (Moss) the way they get on Josh for Smith who he did manage to trade and not keep around for years and years because he was a #17 pick?

Moss will be cut sometime this season IMO.
Since when did people not get on Mike about this pick? What are you talking about?

You do realize McDaniels has kept Moss around as well, right? McDaniels doesn't think it was near the mistake as Smith was. Your argument doesn't make any sense.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #24
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Since when did people not get on Mike about this pick? What are you talking about?

You do realize McDaniels has kept Moss around as well, right? McDaniels doesn't think it was near the mistake as Smith was. Your argument doesn't make any sense.
If we didn't have the depth at CB, Phonz would've made the team pretty easily IMO. Not to say it wasn't a bad pick, because it was a terrible pick, but Moss is on the 53 bc of lack of depth and Elvis's injury. Last year and in years past he wasn't even active for most games.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,625

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
LEAVE SHANNY ALONE!
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Denver Broncos