The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Report: Redskins negotiating with Titans to deal Haynesworth

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...al-haynesworth

The Washington Redskins and the Tennessee Titans are in discussions about a trade of disgruntled defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, people with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The sources spoke to The AP on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the talks are confidential.

The Redskins signed Haynesworth away from the Titans on a seven-year, $100 million contract in 2009 as a free agent, and the lineman accepted a $21 million bonus in April. It has been a nonstop battle of wills between Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and Haynesworth since then.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was asked about the team's interest Tuesday night during his weekly radio show on WGFX-FM 104.5 The Zone, and while he noted that Haynesworth is under contract with the Redskins, he didn't deny the possibility of bringing back the lineman.

"If they're willing to look into the possibility of dealing him, of course we'll listen to them," Fisher said. "We listen to those types of things almost every day.

"This just happens to be a big story because of the circumstances and the situation that arose with the offseason payment and then of course with all the drama associated with the offseason conditioning and the conditioning test and everything. Our focus right now is on (Sunday's season opener against) the Raiders."

Redskins general manager Bruce Allen told The Washington Post's Rick Maese that the team's stance hasn't changed: It isn't trying to trade Haynesworth.

Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb also discussed Haynesworth on a radio show and said the team can't win without the lineman.

"He plays a major part on our defense, and everyone knows that," McNabb told ESPN980. "It's just unfortunate what's been going on and how everything has transpired, but that's the game of football, and I think he'll handle it the right way."

ESPN first reported the teams were discussing a possible Haynesworth deal.

Shanahan was hired in January to coach the Redskins, and Haynesworth didn't participate in the team's offseason program while lobbying for a trade because he didn't want to play nose tackle in the new 3-4 defense. Shanahan gave Haynesworth a chance to leave, but the tackle stayed and accepted the bonus in his contract.

Haynesworth skipped a mandatory minicamp and was fined. In training camp, Shanahan required Haynesworth to pass a conditioning test before practicing, which the lineman didn't do until the 10th day of camp. The tackle seemed to be accepting his role in the 3-4 defense by the third preseason game.

Then Shanahan made Haynesworth play almost the entire game Thursday in the preseason finale against the Arizona Cardinals when the regular starters had the night off. Haynesworth played 49 of 55 snaps and was on the field in the final minutes.

His status for Sunday night's opener against the Dallas has been in question, with Shanahan saying only that he will play the best players ready to play.

The Titans have missed Haynesworth's presence in the middle of their line, slumping to 31 sacks without him helping collapse offensive lines. He managed just four sacks with the Redskins himself, a big dip from his 8.5 sacks in 2008 with Tennessee.

And the Titans know him well, having drafted Haynesworth in the first round in 2002. They used the franchise tag to keep Haynesworth in 2008 to help keep him focused, and the deal they eventually offered in 2009 was nowhere near what he received from the Redskins during the first hours of free agency.

The former University of Tennessee lineman has 28 career sacks and six forced fumbles in his first eight NFL seasons.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

This would be HUGE for the Titans... and bad for us since we play them this year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
This would be HUGE for the Titans... and bad for us since we play them this year.
exactly what I was thinking
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

He got his contract he won't play like he once did...... I hope!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Haynesworth got paid and he clearly does not play for the love of the game, he will never be the player he was in contract year, ever
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hate when teams get rid of talent. The Redskins management is so worthless.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

he might be more than motivated to play again with the Titans. He probably wants to prove everyone wrong that he is an all pro DT just not for Shanny or his "system".
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
I hate when teams get rid of talent. The Redskins management is so worthless.
yep one player that does not fit a new system..you old wise one
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
he might be more than motivated to play again with the Titans. He probably wants to prove everyone wrong that he is an all pro DT just not for Shanny or his "system".

That seems to be his MO. He coasted until he had something to prove to earn his contract, and suddently had 6 and 8 sack seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-261620
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

A failed high dollar Dan Snyder signing?!? I shant believe it!
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Shanahan gave Haynesworth a chance to leave, but the tackle stayed and accepted the bonus in his contract.
Well, there's a surprise. "Thanks for the $ - bye!"
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I would like to hear all the McDaniels haters that couldnt get their nose out of Shanny's Ass crack to now come to the coaches defense on not getting along with star players already on the team.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I would like to hear all the McDaniels haters that couldnt get their nose out of Shanny's Ass crack to now come to the coaches defense on not getting along with star players already on the team.
I'm not sure why you think its an analogous situation. I do not blame McDaniels for the trade of Marshall because the current CBA permitted only very limited recovery by way of morals clauses so there was no way to properly insure the risk. With regard to Cutler, its clearly distinguishable from the situation with Haynesworth. Cutler voluntarily appeared at the facility prior to OTA's to work and learn the system (a complete opposite of the Haynesworth situation). It then got out that the team was trying to trade him, they lied about it and character information on Cutler was anonymously released re: drinking and other things right at the time when Denver was getting pummeled in the PR war over the Cassel trade. It probably infuriated him even more that Denver was now apparently resorting to bush league tactics to fend off the PR issues. Cutler then went to the facility to try and hash things out but apparently Bowlen would not meet with him and he was allowed to meet with only McDaniels (at which point, he wanted his agent in there and thus Josh's little assistant, Xanders, also attended). The meeting went poorly, but Jay indicated he would appear and participate in the mandatory mini-camp. He did, however, apparently ignore phone calls from Bowlen and perhaps others and was traded, although the case can be made that Bowlen was not entitled to have his phone calls returned since he had an oppurtunity to meet Jay face to face and discuss issues with him, but he declined to walk a couple hundred feet.

In Haynesworth's case, Shanny did not come in and make the first mistake. Nor was malicious personal information leaked by the organization at the outset, although he was called lazy on occasion in the offseason. It was Haynesworth who failed to lift a finger the entire offseason (unlike Jay, who came in ahead of time). Haynesworth also pre-emptively dissed his role in the defensive scheme and also verbally blasted Shanahan on various occasions. I'm not sure how these situations are remotely close. Nice try, though.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 09-07-2010 at 11:53 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Shanny and Fisher are very good friends. Interesting...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm not sure why you think its an analogous situation. I do not blame McDaniels for the trade of Marshall because the current CBA permitted only very limited recovery by way of morals clauses so there was no way to properly insure the risk. With regard to Cutler, its clearly distinguishable from the situation with Haynesworth. Cutler voluntarily appeared at the facility prior to OTA's to work and learn the system (a complete opposite of the Haynesworth situation). It then got out that the team was trying to trade him, they lied about it and character information on Cutler was anonymously released re: drinking and other things right at the time when Denver was getting pummeled in the PR war over the Cassel trade. It probably infuriated him even more that Denver was now apparently resorting to bush league tactics to fend off the PR issues. Cutler then went to the facility to try and hash things out but apparently Bowlen would not meet with him and he was allowed to meet with only McDaniels (at which point, he wanted his agent in there and thus Josh's little assistant, Xanders, also attended). The meeting went poorly, but Jay indicated he would appear and participate in the mandatory mini-camp. He did, however, apparently ignore phone calls from Bowlen and perhaps others and was traded, although the case can be made that Bowlen was not entitled to have his phone calls returned since he had an oppurtunity to meet Jay face to face and discuss issues with him, but he declined to walk a couple hundred feet.

In Haynesworth's case, Shanny did not come in and make the first mistake. He didn't try and trade the guy and lie about it. Nor was malicious personal information leaked by the organization at the outset, although he was called lazy on occasion in the offseason. It was Haynesworth who failed to lift a finger the entire offseason (unlike Jay, who came in ahead of time). Haynesworth also pre-emptively dissed his role in the defensive scheme and also verbally blasted Shanahan on various occasions. I'm not sure how these situations are remotely close. Nice try, though.
Well Cutler never snatched a helmet off an opponent and stomped him in the face either. Albert is a fat lazy POS who happens to be the best or near best DT in the game unfortunately. I don't blame Shanny for establishing from the get-go who is boss, and I don't blame McD for that either, just for how some of that was handled.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Don't mess with the little man upstairs
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cant believe people STILL try to justify keeping jay cutler on this team. i realize most of the whiners are gone and realize he will never be beyond mediocre, but still, theres a small group who will never forgive/forget, even though they just happen to be the ones who are wrong.

edit: think i figured it out. people want, even need a reason, to still hate mcdaniels, after everything they originally hated him for turned out to be wrong. so they grasp and claw at the original reasons, knowing that there is no true rational logic to hating him so bad, and they hang on and on and on. because they dont WANT to like the coach.

Last edited by tsiguy96; 09-08-2010 at 06:40 AM..
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #18
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

SoCal, The Jay drinking rumors were out long before the trade talks arose. The rumors just became more pronounced at that time.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #19
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

In Haynesworth's case, Shanny did not come in and make the first mistake. Nor was malicious personal information leaked by the organization at the outset, although he was called lazy on occasion in the offseason. It was Haynesworth who failed to lift a finger the entire offseason (unlike Jay, who came in ahead of time). Haynesworth also pre-emptively dissed his role in the defensive scheme and also verbally blasted Shanahan on various occasions. I'm not sure how these situations are remotely close. Nice try, though.
Just be happy that cutler is not there.
I don't care who is at fault..you don't want that type of mentality leading the team.
He is now bears problem.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
SoCal, The Jay drinking rumors were out long before the trade talks arose. The rumors just became more pronounced at that time.
ding ding ding.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Exactly. SoCal blaming the club for leaking "slander" about Cutler is absoute unsubstantiated BS. There is zero evidence of that...as far as I can tell, SoCal just made it up. Like you said, posters on this very board had been commenting on Jay's excessive drinking and partying long before McD was even a gleam in Bowlen's eye.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cant believe people STILL try to justify keeping jay cutler on this team. i realize most of the whiners are gone and realize he will never be beyond mediocre, but still, theres a small group who will never forgive/forget, even though they just happen to be the ones who are wrong.

edit: think i figured it out. people want, even need a reason, to still hate mcdaniels, after everything they originally hated him for turned out to be wrong. so they grasp and claw at the original reasons, knowing that there is no true rational logic to hating him so bad, and they hang on and on and on. because they dont WANT to like the coach.

Sure, McDaniels has proven people like me wrong. The offense getting much worse and the team not improving just shows McDaniels was right! Every SB team that has been built, starts with getting rid of a couple young pro bowlers. Giving away talent is a great way to become the most talented team!

Wow... McDaniels has proven everyone wrong! The Broncos are back! We have been waiting a long time to get a .500 team!
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post

Sure, McDaniels has proven people like me wrong. The offense getting much worse and the team not improving just shows McDaniels was right! Every SB team that has been built, starts with getting rid of a couple young pro bowlers. Giving away talent is a great way to become the most talented team!

Wow... McDaniels has proven everyone wrong! The Broncos are back! We have been waiting a long time to get a .500 team!
are you even serious anymore? youre such a weiner its incredible. you realize he hasnt even entered year 2 of his coaching career right?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
are you even serious anymore? youre such a weiner its incredible. you realize he hasnt even entered year 2 of his coaching career right?
So then how has he proven everyone wrong?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

the Titans know him well, having drafted Haynesworth in the first round in 2002. They used the franchise tag to keep Haynesworth in 2008 to help keep him focused, and the deal they eventually offered in 2009 was nowhere near what he received from the Redskins during the first hours of free agency.

I hope the Titans make it worth their while and make the Redskins pay the bulk of the contract to take the attitude POS of their hands. Yeah he can play , but only when he wants. The Redskins pull this crap almost every year with free agents. Just make them pay out the a$$ to be aspirin for this headache.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote