The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21ís No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Broncos sign DT Kevin Vickerson, release Le Kevin Smith

Broncos signed former Seahawks DT Kevin Vickerson.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/23242010010
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN
 
WABronco's Avatar
 
All dat force

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,032
Default

nice he had a real nice pre-season. Solid depth.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default

Nice pickup. Who was cut to make room?
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,253

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Who gets cut?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,561

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Are we going to sneak someone on to the practice squad?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,257

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Nice size. Taking Marcus Thomas' spot maybe?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default

My guess would be L. Smith.
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

JosinaAnderson
Fox 31 Alert: Sources: Broncos release Le Kevin Smith after picking up DT Kevin Vickerson half a minute ago via TweetDeck
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABroncoFan View Post
My guess would be L. Smith.
nice guess
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,141

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,257

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.
I'll give you Vonnie, but I see people around my office with more ability than Kenny Peterson.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,141

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I wasn't a huge fan of Peterson or anything, but he did occassionaly generate pressure... There is absolutely nothing on the line this year (pass-rush wise). I'm sure they'll move Hunter/Ayers/Moss around, but still. Would be nice to have SOMEONE who could potentially get to the QB.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,561

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

He's been 4-3 guy his whole career. Maybe 3-4 will bring out his best.

2009
Posted 49 tackles, nine quarterback pressures, three passes defensed … Made his first career start at defensive tackle against Jacksonville (11/1/09) … Tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures twice in 2009 (vs. ARI, vs. MIA). at Pittsburgh (9/10): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and registered five tackles. Houston (9/20): Inactive. at N.Y. Jets (9/27): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted five tackles, including a stop for loss and a quarterback pressure. at Jacksonville (10/4): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and recorded four tackles and a pass defensed … Batted down a pass intended for Mike Sims-Walker in the second quarter. Indianapolis (10/11): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and collected three tackles and a pass defensed … Batted down a short pass intended for Pierre Garcon in the third quarter. at New England (10/18): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted six tackles. Jacksonville (11/1): Made his first career start at defensive tackle and collected two tackles and a quarterback pressure in the Titans’ 30-13 victory. at San Francisco (11/8): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and recorded two tackles in the Titans’ 34-27 victory. Buffalo (11/15): Inactive. at Houston (11/23): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and posted three tackles and a pass defensed in the Titans’ 20-17 Monday Night Football victory … Batted down a pass intended for Kevin Walter at the line of scrimmage in the first quarter. Arizona (11/29): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and recorded three tackles and two quarterback pressures in the Titans’ 20-17 come-from-behind victory. at Indianapolis (12/6): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and registered two tackles and a quarterback pressure. St. Louis (12/13): Inactive. Miami (12/20): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted five tackles, including a stop for loss and two quarterback pressures in the Titans’ 27-24 overtime win … Teamed with Gerald McRath to stuff Lousaka Polite for a one-yard loss on a rush up the middle on third-and-two in the third quarter. San Diego (12/25): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and notched five tackles. at Seattle (1/3): Started at defensive end and registered four tackles, including a stop for loss and a quarterback pressure in the Titans’ season-ending 17-13 victory … Stuffed Julius Jones for a one-yard loss on a rush off right guard in the second quarter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.
I think we will be seeing lots of LB blitzes.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

LeKevin was a Patriots guy too. That's two former patriots dline players that McD brought in and then cut: Smith and Green.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer
 
BigPlayShay's Avatar
 
Novaking

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,464

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I think we will be seeing lots of LB blitzes.
I think we will be seeing some 4-3. Getting Ayers, Hunter (maybe Moss) with their hands in the dirt.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,985

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Yet more evidence we may be running more 4-3 than people think this year.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.
I think that's a legitimate concern, however the downside of guys like Peterson and Holliday was the ultimate downfall of the 2009 Broncos.

I am far more confident in this DLs ability to be physical and hold up against the run and over the course of the season, and I'm willing to trade a little third down pressure for that.

the caveat is that the LBs need to step up and generate more pressure. Losing Elvis was a huge blow to that, and we'll have to see whether Ayers, Hunter, Moss, and Mays can make up for at least a portion of that loss.

Overall I vastly prefer this front 7 to the 2009 version, but like anything, time will tell.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Looks like a nice DT/NT pick up.


Big Vick bringing some nasty to Seahawks' defense

Kevin Vickerson is getting together with some old buddies Saturday night, but don't expect it to be all laughs and good times.

The Seahawks' new defensive tackle has a sense of humor and a kind side to him, but that won't be in evidence when he lines up against his former Tennessee Titans teammates in the 7 p.m. preseason game at Qwest Field.


Kevin Vickerson

Big Vick, as the Seahawks call him, brings a certain presence with him on the football field. At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, he's a mountain of a man. And this is a large fellow with a mean streak when he's between the lines.

He was in the middle of a training camp scuffle Tuesday with offensive guard Mike Gipson, something that surprised no one who has watched the Seahawks practices and seen the way Vickerson mixes things up in the trenches.

"They want me to be a big, nasty dude in the middle and that's what I am," Vickerson said Thursday. "You can't be nice in there. You've got to be a dominating force. You've got to have that mindset of coming out dominating every play, every day."

Vickerson needs to live up to that motto over the long haul, of course. He came to Seattle largely overlooked in the LenDale White draft-day trade, but the Seahawks were intrigued by his run-stuffing ability and potential.

He's started just two games in five NFL seasons, but recorded 49 tackles last year for the Titans and could just be coming into his own at 27 if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Vickerson views this as a fresh start in Seattle, an opportunity to really make his mark for the first time since being drafted by Miami in the seventh round out of Michigan State in 2005.

"I'm just trying to get the whole defense down to a 'T' and get myself in shape," he said. "I'm excited to play a good season. I have big expectations for myself and this team, so I'm just trying to get it going and get it rolling.

"So far, so good. It's a work in progress. A day at a time. You just keep chopping at that wood, just chopping down that tree. That's all you can really do."

He's challenging Colin Cole for the nose tackle job in the Seahawks' new defensive alignment, having split time with last year's starter on the No. 1 unit this week, and coach Pete Carroll said he's anxious to see how he plays Saturday night.
Picture
Kevin Vickerson spent the past three seasons with the Titans, who he'll play against Saturday in his Seahawks' debut. (Getty Images/Jamie Squire)

Vickerson spent the past three seasons with Tennessee. And while, yes, he remembers the Titans, he insists that doesn't change his outlook for this weekend's game.

"There's no extra oomph," he said. "I guess a lot of guys would think it would be. Of course it's my old team, but it's a preseason game. There's nothing on the line. I'm trying to go out and get ready and see how the scheme of this defense is and how I fit in and what's going on with me and see where our line is and where we're at as a unit, so this is a good test."

But when pressed, Vickerson acknowledges that some of his old teammates -- including star running back Chris Johnson -- have let him know they're coming.

"He said a little bit of stuff this offseason," Vickerson said with a smile. "And Nate Washington and Vince Young. ... all the guys have been talking. A couple have been calling and talking junk. But we're just joking. It's all fun. We're competitors, so once you go at it like that on the field, you're always going to go hard. They know that. It is what it is."

Johnson, who rushed for 2,006 yards last season and finished his season with a 134-yard day at Qwest Field in a 17-13 Titans' win, likely won't play a lot on Saturday. But Vickerson says he's ready for another breakthrough season.

"He's a God-gifted back," said Vickerson, who practiced against the rising star the past two seasons. "He's got speed, eyes, feet, hands out of the backfield, vision. He's the total package. He's a good friend and a real good dude. Just seeing him grow from coming into the league to where he is now, I think 2,500 yards is not to far out of his reach."

But if Johnson happens to find himself within Vickerson's reach on Saturday, there'll be no let up from big No. 94. On the field, he knows his role.

"I'm a big dude," he said. "If they want somebody to take on two guys and clog the two-gap, that's what I'm going to do. If they want me to blitz or whatever, I'll do what they ask. I'm just trying to get it to where I can be an impact player."

An impact player with a little nasty in him? That certainly would be a welcome presence for a Seahawks' defensive line in need of both of those in large doses.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/218031.asp
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

he'll be out for blood in week 2 against the Seahags
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,070
Default

I think were gonna be seeing a normal 3-4 look on obvious running downs and when the offense has a 2 WR set out there, in this look we will have Ayers and Hunter sometimes Moss rushing from the OLB position

on 3rd and long and other obvious passing situations than we will see a 4-3 nickel look with Ayers lined up at DE or DT, Hunter lined up at DE, Moss lined up at DE or standing up off the line of scrimmage where the linebackers line up I seen this a lot. I think Cox will see the field a lot. Also you might see 3 down linemen and Hag go to the outside with Woodyard or Mays in there at LB to blitz from the middle or play coverage while DJ blitzes.

I think we will be do doing a lot of shuffling and showing different looks including some awkward front 7 looks it seems like they are going to wanna generate more pressure by making it confusing for the offense to know what players are coming with a deeper CB group this year I could see us blitzing our corners and safeties a lot more too.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,739

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

So this is the third player we grabbed off the scrap heap of a poor team. What can we expect from this defense?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Looks like a nice DT/NT pick up.


Big Vick bringing some nasty to Seahawks' defense

Kevin Vickerson is getting together with some old buddies Saturday night, but don't expect it to be all laughs and good times.

The Seahawks' new defensive tackle has a sense of humor and a kind side to him, but that won't be in evidence when he lines up against his former Tennessee Titans teammates in the 7 p.m. preseason game at Qwest Field.


Kevin Vickerson

Big Vick, as the Seahawks call him, brings a certain presence with him on the football field. At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, he's a mountain of a man. And this is a large fellow with a mean streak when he's between the lines.

He was in the middle of a training camp scuffle Tuesday with offensive guard Mike Gipson, something that surprised no one who has watched the Seahawks practices and seen the way Vickerson mixes things up in the trenches.

"They want me to be a big, nasty dude in the middle and that's what I am," Vickerson said Thursday. "You can't be nice in there. You've got to be a dominating force. You've got to have that mindset of coming out dominating every play, every day."

Vickerson needs to live up to that motto over the long haul, of course. He came to Seattle largely overlooked in the LenDale White draft-day trade, but the Seahawks were intrigued by his run-stuffing ability and potential.

He's started just two games in five NFL seasons, but recorded 49 tackles last year for the Titans and could just be coming into his own at 27 if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Vickerson views this as a fresh start in Seattle, an opportunity to really make his mark for the first time since being drafted by Miami in the seventh round out of Michigan State in 2005.

"I'm just trying to get the whole defense down to a 'T' and get myself in shape," he said. "I'm excited to play a good season. I have big expectations for myself and this team, so I'm just trying to get it going and get it rolling.

"So far, so good. It's a work in progress. A day at a time. You just keep chopping at that wood, just chopping down that tree. That's all you can really do."

He's challenging Colin Cole for the nose tackle job in the Seahawks' new defensive alignment, having split time with last year's starter on the No. 1 unit this week, and coach Pete Carroll said he's anxious to see how he plays Saturday night.
Picture
Kevin Vickerson spent the past three seasons with the Titans, who he'll play against Saturday in his Seahawks' debut. (Getty Images/Jamie Squire)

Vickerson spent the past three seasons with Tennessee. And while, yes, he remembers the Titans, he insists that doesn't change his outlook for this weekend's game.

"There's no extra oomph," he said. "I guess a lot of guys would think it would be. Of course it's my old team, but it's a preseason game. There's nothing on the line. I'm trying to go out and get ready and see how the scheme of this defense is and how I fit in and what's going on with me and see where our line is and where we're at as a unit, so this is a good test."

But when pressed, Vickerson acknowledges that some of his old teammates -- including star running back Chris Johnson -- have let him know they're coming.

"He said a little bit of stuff this offseason," Vickerson said with a smile. "And Nate Washington and Vince Young. ... all the guys have been talking. A couple have been calling and talking junk. But we're just joking. It's all fun. We're competitors, so once you go at it like that on the field, you're always going to go hard. They know that. It is what it is."

Johnson, who rushed for 2,006 yards last season and finished his season with a 134-yard day at Qwest Field in a 17-13 Titans' win, likely won't play a lot on Saturday. But Vickerson says he's ready for another breakthrough season.

"He's a God-gifted back," said Vickerson, who practiced against the rising star the past two seasons. "He's got speed, eyes, feet, hands out of the backfield, vision. He's the total package. He's a good friend and a real good dude. Just seeing him grow from coming into the league to where he is now, I think 2,500 yards is not to far out of his reach."

But if Johnson happens to find himself within Vickerson's reach on Saturday, there'll be no let up from big No. 94. On the field, he knows his role.

"I'm a big dude," he said. "If they want somebody to take on two guys and clog the two-gap, that's what I'm going to do. If they want me to blitz or whatever, I'll do what they ask. I'm just trying to get it to where I can be an impact player."

An impact player with a little nasty in him? That certainly would be a welcome presence for a Seahawks' defensive line in need of both of those in large doses.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/218031.asp
Sounds like a guy with a lot of promis but little production. Anyone know why Seattle let him walk?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sounds like a guy with a lot of promis but little production. Anyone know why Seattle let him walk?
Probably has something to do with the "little production" part of your first sentence.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Probably has something to do with the "little production" part of your first sentence.


Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Broncos Nation Divided tnedator Orange Mane Central Discussion 82 09-03-2009 05:38 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Denver Broncos