The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default In his own words: Redskins coach Mike Shanahan (interview about the Broncos)

Mike Shanahan sat down with the Post's Jeff Legwold in the hours before his team's preseason finale in Arizona. Here's is some of what he had to say:

Whether he's angry he was fired by the Broncos:
"I wasn't mad. I was disappointed, because I thought we had the thing going the right direction. I thought the building blocks were there. Defensively, we needed some things, but we had pieces in place and I believed we could bring the defense up to where the offense was."

What he meant when he said he had left a "Super Bowl offense" with the Broncos:
"That's what I think. You average 395 yards a game and lose six running backs (in 2008) and still average well over 4 yards per rush, that's a group capable of things. It was by no means perfect — too many turnovers, some red-zone issues — but you don't move the ball like that if you're not very capable. We were No. 2. To be in the Super Bowl, you have to have that kind of offense, be No. 1, No. 2, be No. 1 in defense. That's how you win Super Bowls. At least there was one side at that level. The job when you have one side like that is to get the other side (of the ball) to that level and maintain what you already have."

On whether he would have eventually hired his son, Kyle, to be his offensive coordinator in Denver had he stayed:
"There's no question it would have happened in Denver. I would have brought him in there before my last year, but he was under contract. (Texans coach) Gary (Kubiak) gave him a chance, so I would have never gone to Gary at that point and said, 'Gary, can I bring my son into Denver?' When he fulfilled his contract, I think it was fair for him to come here now."

Why he agreed to let Kyle call plays:

"As you get older, you realize you can't spend as much time in your system with your quarterbacks when you're the head coach. I never wanted to be the guy as a head coach that didn't spend all that time with the quarterbacks during the week and then tried to call plays on game day. In that situation, then are you calling the same plays that the quarterback wanted? Or are you just running what you want to do? If you're going to do that, you better spend every minute with that quarterback. And I'm not sure you can do that as a head coach, not if the defense and special teams are as equally important to you, and if you're the head coach, they'd better be as important to you."

If he, members of his family or friends believed he should have retired from coaching after he was fired by the Broncos:
"My family and (wife) Peggy said they'd support my decision to coach again if I wanted to. But I had plenty of time left on my contract after I got fired, and some people said just don't work and get paid. But I still wanted to coach."

Read more: In his own words: Redskins coach Mike Shanahan - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0ymIDTTeI
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Looks like Jeremy Bates was going to get the axe.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Shanny is living in denile about the 08 Broncos.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Pop warner defense.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Looks like Jeremy Bates was going to get the axe.
he was the qb coach in 08 so to bring in kyle wouldn't have affected him except his play calling
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Mike's a great guy. I feel strongly that we were going in the right direction. The defense needed a ton of work but the offense had some stalwarts in positions where you need them. He could come have wrapped around in 09's draft, picked up a big-time defensive player instead of using one on 900 yd rusher in Knowshon, and then drafted Shonn Greene in the 2nd round and we would have been in the playoffs last year.

Ah well. Water under the bridge. Mike's gonna win another super bowl or two. I hope that Tebow can fulfill the promise he showed in the preseason and get us to that level as well.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Yea the 08 offense sucked
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
no he told it how it was. He was straight forward and said we had red zone issues and turnovers that needed to be fixed but we still moved the ball well which we did. The defense wasn't anything to write home about which he stated.

This has been hashed and rehashed since last year, but if we had to 08 offense (w/ year 2 in the system) and the 09 defense (1st 6 games, spotty afterwards) we would have went deep.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

Mike's gonna win another super bowl or two. .
What did Mike do to you?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Mike is a classy guy with a huge ego.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Mike's a great guy. I feel strongly that we were going in the right direction. The defense needed a ton of work but the offense had some stalwarts in positions where you need them. He could come have wrapped around in 09's draft, picked up a big-time defensive player instead of using one on 900 yd rusher in Knowshon, and then drafted Shonn Greene in the 2nd round and we would have been in the playoffs last year.

Ah well. Water under the bridge. Mike's gonna win another super bowl or two. I hope that Tebow can fulfill the promise he showed in the preseason and get us to that level as well.
Agreed
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
orangemonkey
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Hopefully, in time, McD gains "class" to match his ego.
orangemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Agreed
No way!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

If we are living in the land of fantasy, can I have a pony?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Go Shanny! One of my personal heroes.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:

Mock, is that you?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Those all blue jerseys need to be a staple to this team.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
No way!

Wow, you really got me good.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

You mean you aspire to be the little man upstairs?

Do you like Turkey sandwiches ?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Love Mike Shanahan and don't disagree with anything he said. The offense was well built and needed only maintenance and a RB to stay at the same level. The defense was horrid. By some players in place he means, we had Champ Bailey and DJ Williams, but we needed 9 other starters from there!

Anyhow, I don't think there was anything new out of that piece. 'Cept for the part about bringing his son in eventually which most of us guess anyway. And honestly, the kid got some great production out of the Texans offense last year along with Kubes. It's not like he sat on his Daddy's staff and rode his coattail. He made a pretty good name for himself after having the door opened by a friend of his pops. Opportunity is what you make of it. If someone has to crack that door open for you to get that opportunity, it's up to you whether you're going to kick it all the way open and seize the moment, or if you're going to let it close back in your face. Seems to me that Kyle Shanahan was willing and able to kick it open and take what was his.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
He's is successful NFL Head Coach. They all have huge egos and are pricks, that what makes them successful because they can not see themselves failing.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
no he told it how it was. He was straight forward and said we had red zone issues and turnovers that needed to be fixed but we still moved the ball well which we did. The defense wasn't anything to write home about which he stated.

This has been hashed and rehashed since last year, but if we had to 08 offense (w/ year 2 in the system) and the 09 defense (1st 6 games, spotty afterwards) we would have went deep.

Whether he's angry he was fired by the Broncos:
"I wasn't mad. I was disappointed, because I thought we had the thing going the right direction. I thought the building blocks were there. Defensively, we needed some things, but we had pieces in place and I believed we could bring the defense up to where the offense was."

You were drinking his kool aid with those comments... Our defense sucked at best and though our offense could manage yards, we were not scoring worth a crap...... HENCE 8-8 seasons and getting knocked out of the playoffs up 2 games with 3 to go and he still could not do sh it.

Take off the orange lens sunglasses and remove your head from shanny's azz.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
He's WAS successful NFL Head Coach, But did sh it since Elway retired in 1998, 19 freekin 98 They all have huge egos and are pricks, that what makes them successful because they can not see themselves failing.
fixed it for you.

PS: bpc, Atlas emailed me and said they still have room on the washington rats bandwagon for you.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
fixed it for you.

PS: bpc, Atlas emailed me and said they still have room on the washington rats bandwagon for you.

You really must enjoy high school. Can you actually name one successful NFL coach that doesn't have ego, or are you just going b**** when others respect what Shanahan did for Denver?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote