The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default Broncos sign Jason Hunter

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...on-Hunter.html

The Denver Broncos have signed former Detroit Lions defensive end Jason Hunter.

Hunter recorded five sacks and 34 tackles last year in nine starts with the Detroit Lions, who cut him this week after assigning him a $1.759 million second-round tender this offseason..

Hunter has previously played for the Green Bay Packers.

A former undrafted free agent from Appalachian State, Hunter was cut prior to last season by Green Bay after posting 32 tackles and two sacks in 42 games.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonhunt...e?id=HUN675014

Sounds like a good pickup.

Last edited by Chris; 08-19-2010 at 04:51 PM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
MVP-06
MVP
 
MVP-06's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 632

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 486

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

He sounds like he can rush the passer pretty well (more sacks than anyone left on our team right now if I'm not mistaken) and plays special teams well. Sounds like a very good signing.
diehardbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,551

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Jason Hunter | # | DE

Denver Broncos | Official Team Site



Height: 6-4 Weight: 271 Age: 26

Born: 8/28/1983 Charlotte , NC

College: Appalachian State

Experience: 5th season

High School: E.E. Smith HS [Fayetteville, NC]


7 total NFL sacks.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 
You know noothin

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

App State reppin
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Hunter at 6-4, 260 pounds ran a 4.48 second 40-yard dash <-- can someone say OLB?
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

they cut a guy with a 2nd round tender? haha, sounds like the lions
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,164

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Why'd they cut him?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why'd they cut him?
Something doesn't make sense here.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,507
Default

If he couldn't make with the Lions then I'm not expecting much
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
FireFly
Ring of Famer
 
FireFly's Avatar
 
The window is open!

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,788
Default

Why'd they give him a second round tender then?
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,443

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Dude had 5 sacks last year. That's five more than Robert Ayers and Jarvis Moss combined.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

I guess he was expendable because they signed Kyle Vanden Bosch to play right DE.

Check out the reader comments at the bottom of this article. They seemed to like the guy.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/3...n-jason-hunter

Last edited by TonyR; 08-19-2010 at 05:35 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,443

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

How sad is our situation when we are begging for scraps from the Detroit Lions? Especially when said scraps are infinitely more productive that either of our first round multimillionaire pass rushers.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

Strong play of rookie Willie Young made Jason Hunter expendable

ALLEN PARK - One of the interesting things about preseason games is that you really never know what to expect from young players. Some of them will practice very well and then disappear as soon as the games begin while others will struggle in practice and then light it up during the games.

Detroit Lions rookie defensive end Willie Young falls into the latter category.

"Willie hadn't been practicing very well, quite honestly,'' said Lions head coach Jim Schwartz of the team's seventh-round pick. "His brain had been slowing his body down, so to speak. He got paralyzed by everything, special teams and blitz packages and everything else we're in. He wasn't able to show his athletic ability.

"In the game, that flipped. He cut it loose and he made some really nice plays and that was nice to see because he was struggling through some practices. He had a hard time getting a rep in without getting yelled at. He cut it loose and he affected the game so he did a really nice job.''

Because of Young's potential, the Lions wanted to give him more reps during practice and that meant veteran Jason Hunter became expendable. The Lions released Hunter on Monday, allowing him the opportunity to land with another club during camp. Even though the Lions could've kept Hunter - who started nine games for them last year - as insurance against injuries, it was the right thing to do.

Once Hunter saw that Young was passing him on the depth chart and would get more reps, Hunter would turn into an unhappy camper and just count the minutes until he was set free.

When asked how he played against the Steelers, Young said, "It could've been a lot better. I made one mental mistake and I could've been better on a lot of other plays. I was just so amped being out there. I wanted to make plays.

"I've got to work every day on getting better. That's my goal.''


http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._willie_y.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,849

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Strong play of rookie Willie Young made Jason Hunter expendable

ALLEN PARK - One of the interesting things about preseason games is that you really never know what to expect from young players. Some of them will practice very well and then disappear as soon as the games begin while others will struggle in practice and then light it up during the games.

Detroit Lions rookie defensive end Willie Young falls into the latter category.

"Willie hadn't been practicing very well, quite honestly,'' said Lions head coach Jim Schwartz of the team's seventh-round pick. "His brain had been slowing his body down, so to speak. He got paralyzed by everything, special teams and blitz packages and everything else we're in. He wasn't able to show his athletic ability.

"In the game, that flipped. He cut it loose and he made some really nice plays and that was nice to see because he was struggling through some practices. He had a hard time getting a rep in without getting yelled at. He cut it loose and he affected the game so he did a really nice job.''

Because of Young's potential, the Lions wanted to give him more reps during practice and that meant veteran Jason Hunter became expendable. The Lions released Hunter on Monday, allowing him the opportunity to land with another club during camp. Even though the Lions could've kept Hunter - who started nine games for them last year - as insurance against injuries, it was the right thing to do.

Once Hunter saw that Young was passing him on the depth chart and would get more reps, Hunter would turn into an unhappy camper and just count the minutes until he was set free.

When asked how he played against the Steelers, Young said, "It could've been a lot better. I made one mental mistake and I could've been better on a lot of other plays. I was just so amped being out there. I wanted to make plays.

"I've got to work every day on getting better. That's my goal.''


http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._willie_y.html
I've never heard that before..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Shabby, not too

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,503
Default

The lions have a solid defensive line, dont know why everyone assumes he sucks
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #18
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,849

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
The lions have a solid defensive line, dont know why everyone assumes he sucks
This!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
Denver724
Ring of Famer
 
Denver724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,517
Default

Too bad we can't draft like the Lions. Young sounds like a late round steal.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Dude had 5 sacks last year.
Yup, and he closed out the year with a sack in each of the last 3 games.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,257

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Hunter at 6-4, 260 pounds ran a 4.48 second 40-yard dash <-- can someone say OLB?
Actually, that's not too far fetched.
I can see him playing OLB and moving Hagan to the inside...

Last edited by strafen; 08-19-2010 at 06:25 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #22
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,139

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
How sad is our situation when we are begging for scraps from the Detroit Lions? Especially when said scraps are infinitely more productive that either of our first round multimillionaire pass rushers.
I know - it is so pathetic that Ayers has taken a whole year to develop. I mean, who would have guessed that it would take him some time Cut his ass right now!!!!!!!
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Too bad we can't draft like the Lions.
.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,443

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
I know - it is so pathetic that Ayers has taken a whole year to develop. I mean, who would have guessed that it would take him some time Cut his ass right now!!!!!!!
How long did it take Dumervil to become a productive player?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,908
Default

I'll take anyone that can sack a QB in his dreams, much less on the field.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunter Thompson Documentary "Gonzo" Dave Logan broncosteven Orange Mane Central Discussion 6 12-20-2009 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Denver Broncos