The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Breaking down the Tebow Drives

I went back and watched all of Tebow's snaps in 24 fps. I will do the same for Orton's successful drives, and Quinn's drives tomorrow, but they don't interest me as much since Orton's were very successful, and Quinn's disastrous. For thoose who don't want to read the whole shindig, Tebow had issues dealing with situations where there was a lot of pressure (not surprising), but was very accurate and actually had pretty good situational awareness.

Tebow's Drives:

- First series.
1st and 10: Four man rush, with a additional defender waiting on the line for the run. Solid roll out and short completion. Didn't risk throwing to the deep target, that a safety was shadowing.
2nd and 5: Four man rush. Hand off, no gain. Linebacks had the play read.
3rd and 5: Blitz showing. 8 men on the line. Tebow points out additional blitzers to the linemen. 34 drops off the line.The sneaks back up. Five man rush completely picked up, Tebow in back of the pocket, 40 yard pass, on the money, but dropped.

- Second Series.
1st and 10: 6 man blitz. Hand off - 29 needed to be more patient, ran into his own man - 50 (walton) going across the LOS.
-2nd and 10. Steps up into the pocket, but 86 beats a double team - 67 (Batiste) and 83 (Riar Greer) after it looks like the pocket is set up. Starts tackling, Tebow going down to his knees completes to 17 (Brit Davis).
-3rd and four - Sellout blitzy by the bengals. Beadles and Walton driven back into Tebow, Tebow throws from twenty just over the hands of a defenders. Willis is the intended receiver, Willis. McDaniels pulls Willis over to the side for a trashing, for not making a play on the ball.

Third Series -This one is pretty interesting in slow-mo, and much more complex then "Tebow didn't see the safety" which is completely bogus.

1st and 10 - Seven man blitz by the Bengals. Sixth man moved into position for blitz after the ball was snapped. Snap is horrible (wide right) to Tebow in the pocket. Front line picks up the blitz, Tebow staring down the receivers on the left side of the field, looses track of his blind side. Bengals 45 starts a delayed blitz (7th man) on Tebow's blind side. Tebow clearly has vision on both the safety and on the corner, there is a window, but it's tight. Tebow begins his windup the ball as 82 starts to make a break to the outside. 82 slips during the break, but Tebow's already committed. Tebow hit as he delivers the ball, ball is off when leaves his arm. 82 not in a position to catch due to the slip, Ball bounces off of the defender. Should have been a interception due the receiver falling down, but velocity on the ball saved the day.

2nd and 10: Stupid Wendy's advertisement makes this hard. 4 man rush. 96 beats 77 like a drum, but Tebow, anticipating another blitz (which didn't occur) has already thrown the ball to 29. No blocking support anywhere for Hall, even though 17 is in the area. 6 yard completion.

3rd and 4: Tebow in shotgun, All receivers well covered for the five step drop. Great footwork by Tebow going back. Reads left side then right side. Full wind up pass to the right side, 82 (Arnett) does a great job up for it, with the receiver draped all over him prior to the catch. 25 yards in the air. Bad support from 85 who stops running in support.

1st and 10. 4 man rush. Someone missed as assignment with 54. Running play - hand off to 29. 1 yard gain.

2nd and 9. 1 TE and 1RB in the back field due to the amount of penetration. Three wideouts. 4 man rush. 92 looks like he has 77 beat, Tebow wheels, but 77 regains contain with help of a double team. Has 19 in the flat, but 97 closed very quickly, tebow pulls it in and takes the sack. Good discipline because a player was underneath lurking for a interception.

3rd and 10: Blitz showing from the Bengals. Tebow in shotgun, 29 in the backfield. Fake a hand off to 29 Two men coming in unblocked, Tebow sees the rush, watching the right side of the field, sees 29 going over to block the two blitzers. 29 chooses to double team rather then pick up the last blitzer. Tebow starting to deliver to the right, Blitzer sacks tebow before Tebow is off of his second read, leading to a called fumble that is overturned by review. 29 biffed this one.

Reggie makes a ass of himself with his commentary.

4th and 10: Mis snap. Ball hits two yards in front of Tebow. Tebow grabs it and runs to line of scrimmage, falling forward five yards.

Fourth drive:
1st and 10: 1.09 left. Screen play. Tebow starts winding up extremely late, but throws over the head of 92 to 29 successfully, Horrible block discpile as both 50 and 68 screw up their blocks.

1st and 10: Four man rush. Great pass to 29 at five yards out. Timeout.
2nds and 3: Four man rush. 0:40 left. Tebow in shotgun. Three receivers out. Completion to 85.

1st and 10: Four receivers: 0:23. Tebow roles right as all receivers are covered, 29 is there as a safety valve, Tebow has loads of room to run, winds up and throws from the 35 to the 15. The safety covering shades back to try and make a interception, but Tebow throws over his head. 17 has one receiver to make miss, strong arms, but is pushed out of bounds at the 7.

1st and 10: 12 seconds. Tebow steps up in the pocket, Does a phenominal job of trusting Batiste with a block, stepping behind him before he was sure Batiste could take his assignment. Rolls wide right with a defender in pursuit. Throws to 85 in the end zone, around 54. Ref says he dropped it. This ball was well positioned.

2nd and 10: 3 seconds left. 4 man rush, but 20 gives a look that a safety blitz might be on. 90 coming in from Tebows blind side, but Tebow steps up in the pocket and eludes. Entire right side of the field is clear, no receiver is open. 29 needs to block his man, Tebow takes on two blockers, and makes it into the end zone.

Last edited by lostknight; 08-15-2010 at 10:02 PM..
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Jay3

Awesome analysis. May I post across the street (in quotes)?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Sure
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

thanks this is very much appreciated
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Everyone keep b****ing about Reggie ... well I had to listen to the ass munchies the Bengal's team that hurt my ears almost to the point of bleeding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

The cincinnati announcers they had on the NFL channel would have to get better to suck. Munoz and the other ahole drove me up a wall. They were doing an interview with chad johnson late in the 3rd quarter when Tim Tebow made his NFL debut and did not mention anything about it until his 1st series was over.... Freeking nuts.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, I had the bengals guys on nfl network, but I was listening to 850 KOA on my phone. They were out of sync enough that I could see the play, hear the tv guys, then after the play ends hear the KOA guys describe/analyze it. That worked pretty well.

As for the OP and the original thread topic, good work!
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
extralife
Ring of Famer

The one thing I noticed is that throwing motion hasn't really changed at all. It cost him at least twice.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Not sure why people are saying his throwing motion is the same. There is more to a throwing motion then just dipping the ball. Jay Cutler dips the ball.

The #1 thing he had worked on after college was his release point. They asked him this many many many times and many coaches said the same thing. They were first working on his release points.

Then the next thing McDaniels revealed was that they worked on shoulder dipping, etc. And the past few weeks have been footwork.

Anyone saying he is throwing exactly like college has to be straight retarded or just simply decided to read and make dumb comments.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 08-16-2010 at 04:11 AM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Coincidentally enough, the Bears @ Chargers game came on right after. Here is a shot of Jay Cutler I took... going to his 5th season.

Brett Favre

Tebow's motion does need to improve, and it will as time moves on. Exactly like a college basketball player going to the NBA, all jump shots change over to time as they tweak it every year. Kobe's shot is completely different from his earlier days. Hell, it's completely different from the year before last. Melo, Lebron, EVERYONE... every single player's jump shot evolve over time.

Now, this is Tebow's first career NFL live action game, and people are already asking if he should quit (MaxDenver twitter).

Child please.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm glad that you used two highly turnover prone QBs to illustrate your point.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I'm glad that you used two highly turnover prone QBs to illustrate your point.
Right, because throwing 7 ints last season is highly turnover prone. It's about being in the right situation. It's a coincidence these two are gun slingers.

However 1 is HOF, so I'm not sure what you point is.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #13
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

What still blows my mind is that article written by Cold Hard Football Facts, where it compared Tebow's college passing career to both Manning brothers, Matt Stafford, Russle and Couch...and Tebow's stats destroyed all of theirs.

This article by far gives the hardest Tebowner...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...rterbacks.html
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

The difference is both Favre and Cutler get the ball out quickly, and Tebow doesn't. It's like a pitching windup.

I think you're right about it improving over time, and I sincerely hope it does. He's a dead man if it doesn't.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
yerner
Ring of Famer

I thought he looked awful. He just doesn't seem to throw the ball well at this point. It doesn't spin great, if that makes sense. Hopefully it gets better.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think he looked good for a project in his first game. He does need a much faster release. His accuracy and arm strength looked pretty good. He could have looked better with better receivers. He had to play with guys that will be cut in a couple weeks.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I thought he looked awful. He just doesn't seem to throw the ball well at this point. It doesn't spin great, if that makes sense. Hopefully it gets better.
Great analysis. Really well thought out and described brilliantly.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #18
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Great analysis. Really well thought out and described brilliantly.
Unlike most jerkoffs on this site, I don't pretend to be an NFL scout. I don't claim to know if Tebow will succeed. I just give my opinion on a broncos opinion board. To me, Tebow's passes looked suspect compared to other quaterbacks I see on TV. It doesn't come out of his hand well. It floats. There isn't a tight spiral that impresses. Sorry if that bothers you. I hope he can make up for it with study and anticipation.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Tebow had an okay night. It was on par with Quinn's night and he's been in the league several years.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

yeah I heard a few people say he was back to his old throwing motion
but I watched the game and did not see that at all
granted he still winds it up, but it wasnt the same thing
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #21
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
When he thinks he has time, the wind up is there. On short passes, it wasn't there all night, even when there were significant pressures. As to the people saying Tebow disappointed, or that his night was on par with Quinn, I have to assume that you didn't watch Quinn, or that you expected him to come out as John Elway Jr, accomplishing the drive in his diapers.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Tebow had an okay night. It was on par with Quinn's night and he's been in the league several years.
I'd agree he looked ok, but man...Quinn looked awful to me
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #23
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post

Child please.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
The wind up is what they are talking about. The wind up will hurt his chances of ever being a pro qb. QB's just don't have that kind of time in the pocket at this level.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I'd agree he looked ok, but man...Quinn looked awful to me
Quinn got moving after his 6th pass or so. To me, he looked very rusty.