The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default The hit and the sh*t from preseason week 1

Players who did nothing to help themselves:

Perrish Cox: Had a few returns that weren't bad but looked very tentative in coverage and gave up too much real estate on several occasions which allowed the Bengals to make catches they shouldn't have.

Ayodele and Joe Mays: We better hope and pray that DJ, Haggan and Woodyard can play all year because behind those 3 the depth at ILB is non-existant. Mays and Ayodele are pathetic in pass coverage and both missed badly on makeable stop in the run game. Mays looked downright awful tonight.

Matt Willis: camp favourite who must have used the butter tub rather than the glue, he missed a few catches tonight.

Brady Quinn: let me be the first to wish Brady Quinn "hey hey hey, good bye", he has the same problem as Ramsey and Simms, no accuracy and no pocket awareness.

Players who helped themselves like pedobear in a kindergarden:

Champ Bailey: He absolutely still has it, I am not sure if it is his natural ability or his experience, but this guy can still jump in front of a football like it is nobodies business.

Offensive line: I know we ran 2 backups, but they kept Orton clean except for some pressure he could step out of, very nice.

Bannan and Williams: There is no substitute for beef up front, you could tell we were packing more power and more pounds than last year, except for that one Benson run, the 1st line didn't give up a yard uncontested.

Last but not least, Kyle Orton: He was unreal, he worked the pocket like another Drew Brees, he was on target with his throws, his reads were excellent and he had zip. I knew he could do big things this year, but if tonights game is any indicator at all, we may just be looking at the best single season by any Broncos QB ever, more yards and TDs than Cutler, Elway and Griese ever managed.
Orton looks very comfortable out there and you can tell he is on top of things, I am getting very excited about the prospect of neckbeard running the show (as a sidenote, did anyone see Neckbeard Jr (Tebow)?, he has grown a bit of an Orton).
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

matt willis may have been the star WR of this game, what are you talking about?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
He only dropped a TD pass from Tebow that's all.

I agree that he did a nice job other than that, though.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
He dropped a TD.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Tebow looked a little Joe Kapp'esque.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quinn's pocket presence was much better than Simms or Tebow's... his accuracy was off, but after the INT he looked pretty good.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Quinn's pocket presence was much better than Simms or Tebow's... his accuracy was off, but after the INT he looked pretty good.
That's one brutal hangover you'll be dealing with tomorrow.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Players who did nothing to help themselves:

Perrish Cox: Had a few returns that weren't bad but looked very tentative in coverage and gave up too much real estate on several occasions which allowed the Bengals to make catches they shouldn't have.

Ayodele and Joe Mays: We better hope and pray that DJ, Haggan and Woodyard can play all year because behind those 3 the depth at ILB is non-existant. Mays and Ayodele are pathetic in pass coverage and both missed badly on makeable stop in the run game. Mays looked downright awful tonight.

Matt Willis: camp favourite who must have used the butter tub rather than the glue, he missed a few catches tonight.

Brady Quinn: let me be the first to wish Brady Quinn "hey hey hey, good bye", he has the same problem as Ramsey and Simms, no accuracy and no pocket awareness.

Players who helped themselves like pedobear in a kindergarden:

Champ Bailey: He absolutely still has it, I am not sure if it is his natural ability or his experience, but this guy can still jump in front of a football like it is nobodies business.

Offensive line: I know we ran 2 backups, but they kept Orton clean except for some pressure he could step out of, very nice.

Bannan and Williams: There is no substitute for beef up front, you could tell we were packing more power and more pounds than last year, except for that one Benson run, the 1st line didn't give up a yard uncontested.

Last but not least, Kyle Orton: He was unreal, he worked the pocket like another Drew Brees, he was on target with his throws, his reads were excellent and he had zip. I knew he could do big things this year, but if tonights game is any indicator at all, we may just be looking at the best single season by any Broncos QB ever, more yards and TDs than Cutler, Elway and Griese ever managed.
Orton looks very comfortable out there and you can tell he is on top of things, I am getting very excited about the prospect of neckbeard running the show (as a sidenote, did anyone see Neckbeard Jr (Tebow)?, he has grown a bit of an Orton).
u forgot tebow...

he played thru two dropped td passes to still finish with 8-13, 105yds and a rushing TD...a mans rushing td btw...

he ran a hurry up offense to take us the length of the field with like a minute left to play...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Our run game is non existent...Of course we only had Ball back there.. but
I don't think that made too much difference as there weren't any holes to run through.

Quinn...looked the DB right to the ball , held it tooo long and got pick sixed because of it...

Didn't help that we had two potential TDs dropped...one from Quinn and one from Tebow.

Overall our backups aren't as good as Cinncis...But our # 1s even without
the missing players were better than theirs. (excluding run game)

Tebow got the six at the end....took a big chance there. But he is a competitor and throws a nice FAST ball when he has time....and makes something out of nothing a lot. Reminds me of another Broncos QB....? Frankly his throws looked pretty good and he is pretty accurate. Delivery needs to speed up a bit , but that will come.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I am not sold on the run game. I know we trotted out camp fodder tonight but Cinncy was slicing through the hole from the pulling lineman and they were in the backfield quite alot.

I like the downfield attack but we will still need a good run game to reduce the pressure.

I wish they would address the Special Teams. They are still giving up big returns and our guys can't catch the kicks. Vaughn seemed to be the best returner but ST's are going to continue to kill us unless they address this.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quinn looks the same as he did in Cleveland, which is why I didn't want him here. Time to go.

Orton, just keeps getting better.

BTW, Champ looked awesome.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well, we had zero run game, but that is not a huge concern to me right now. What really concerns me is the total lack of even a hint of defensive pressure. We got stonewalled almost every time we tried to get to the QB. Palmer had all day to throw.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
He dropped a TD.
but he was getting separation
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
He dropped a TD.
so his one dropped TD discounts all his other plays, including his 2 catches that bailed out quinn, and on top of that makes him deserving of a list of people who didnt impress? got it
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
ro_50
Ring of Famer

For those that watched the game, how did JD Walton and Beadles look?

and from what ya'll saying and looking at the stats, Orton is on top of his game.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
Well, we had zero run game, but that is not a huge concern to me right now. What really concerns me is the total lack of even a hint of defensive pressure. We got stonewalled almost every time we tried to get to the QB. Palmer had all day to throw.
I didn't see any blitzs early. I need to rewatch the 1st team now that kids are in bed but I expected a lot more blitzing than last year but maybe they are holding that back?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
but he was getting separation
So did Darius Watts. It looked on the drop that he had his hands and body at an odd angle and or got his hands up late. The ball was nicely thrown where it needed to be.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #18
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Minnie mouse Alphonso Smith looked is usual self either out of position on pass plays or getting run over by ball carriers.
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
So did Darius Watts. It looked on the drop that he had his hands and body at an odd angle and or got his hands up late. The ball was nicely thrown where it needed to be.
good point...rep for working the claw into the thread...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
This is preseason, teams aren't dumb enough to give away their defensive schemes. EVERY team in the nfl will run a kindergarden defense, with maybe a few simple blitzes, this isn't some ground-breaking revolution.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Ball was getting some room to run, which tells me the line was doing okay, if not spectacular. The offense will be much improved when Knowshon is back there.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Denver's first team beat the Bengals 14-0. Denver's backups lost 33-10.

it's folly to try to come to conclusions based on the first pre-season game, but here goes anyway...

Denver looks to be lacking depth. the first team O and D look ok. but the backups are either not yet ready, not legit NFL talents, or both.

at this point, i have no expectations about this season. this could be a 10-6 squad. or it could be a 6-10 squad. or worse.

i'm only hoping for the following 2 things from the season.

1) that we don't get pushed around in the 2nd half of games anymore.
2) that we don't slump during the 2nd half of the season anymore.

looks like another AFC West title for the Sparkies is in the offing.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #23
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc62 View Post
Minnie mouse Alphonso Smith looked is usual self either out of position on pass plays or getting run over by ball carriers.
I can't recall a play where phons got run over, unless you're talking about Nathan Jones(#33) who was abused to no end ALL game.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I didn't see any blitzs early. I need to rewatch the 1st team now that kids are in bed but I expected a lot more blitzing than last year but maybe they are holding that back?
I really don't think we blitzed once, at least not with the first team. And like you were saying, I bet that is due to wanting to hold back until the season.
diehardbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
so his one dropped TD discounts all his other plays, including his 2 catches that bailed out quinn, and on top of that makes him deserving of a list of people who didnt impress? got it
He only had 2 receptions for 54 yards. The guy who I was surprised with was Branson. All camp the reports have been bad on this dude and he caught 4 balls for 25 yards.

Willis was nice but he's got to get those deep balls when thrown to.