The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
schaaf

Default Boulder and the University

Right now I'm in College in Billings Montana, when I graduate I plan to go to Boulder for Graduate school in Geology. I'm just curious as to if any of you went there and if you have any advice like what it costs to live there or just anything you have that may help out.. I dont know if this is supposed to be in the central discussion but feel free to tell me where to move it.

Anything helps guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Agamemnon

The cost of living in Boulder is pretty high compared to a place like Billings (I'm guessing). A one bedroom apartment will likely cost you $800+ a month there. Everything is a bit pricey there to be honest, at least compared to the rest of Colorado. It's a nice town, but it's a little on the white and privileged side of things.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Just make sure you allot yourself some funds for Boulder's finest pot.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Just make sure you allot yourself some funds for Boulder's finest pot.
Which is mostly BC's finest pot from what I understand.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Im actually going into my last semester of undergrad. at CU Boulder.

Rent here is pretty pricey.

Right now I live in a one bedroom near campus and I pay around $720 ish when you add rent + utilities.

its a lot cheaper if you get a roomie but if you really want to save $$ and dont mind commuting to campus then I suggest living in Broomfield or Superior where the rent is a lot cheaper.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

you will like boulder, like a big red lodge.... waaay more hot chicks, great party scene

denver is the bomb! come on down!
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
schaaf

I'm hoping I can graduate there and then get a job in the surrounding area and be closer to broncos, rockies, and avalanche and be working in a hydrogeology field. I'm also hoping that by that time the Buffs have rebounded from the embarrassing last few seasons!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We live on the outskirts of Boulder. We love it here.
If you're single you can easily find roommates.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Boomhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I'm hoping I can graduate there and then get a job in the surrounding area and be closer to broncos, rockies, and avalanche and be working in a hydrogeology field. I'm also hoping that by that time the Buffs have rebounded from the embarrassing last few seasons!
Why would you choose CU Boulder for hydrogeology?
CSU FortCollins would be the place to go. School of Mines if you want a job that pays.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Why would you choose CU Boulder for hydrogeology?
CSU FortCollins would be the place to go. School of Mines if you want a job that pays.
School of Mines. +1
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I had my first real bed spins and massive chunder night in Boulder. A nasty mix of Coors and stouffers cauliflower in cheesy sauce heated in the microwave. After about 20 mins of percolating at 1:00 a.m. I think I covered about 2 square blocks with projectile launches.

Now I completely understand that this does nothing to help you out in regard to your question but this is pretty much what happens when you come to the mane seeking information.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Right now I'm in College in Billings Montana, when I graduate I plan to go to Boulder for Graduate school in Geology. I'm just curious as to if any of you went there and if you have any advice like what it costs to live there or just anything you have that may help out.. I dont know if this is supposed to be in the central discussion but feel free to tell me where to move it.

Anything helps guys!
I didn't go to school there, but I am a native Boulderite. You'll find the rent to be high as others have noted. Boulder has a lot of good restaurants, a fun bar scene, a great farmer's market, and world class outdoor recreation. Also, a bunch of hot college chicks. Boulder is affluent, white, and liberal, and has most everything that goes along with that, good and bad.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

How much bomb chronic you gonna be smoking in Boulder. Lets be honest here. That ks one major reason you are making the move. Reefer madness. Never go to meth alley.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #14
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
Im actually going into my last semester of undergrad. at CU Boulder.

Rent here is pretty pricey.

Right now I live in a one bedroom near campus and I pay around $720 ish when you add rent + utilities.

its a lot cheaper if you get a roomie but if you really want to save $$ and dont mind commuting to campus then I suggest living in Broomfield or Superior where the rent is a lot cheaper.

720 is expensive? I've got to get out of l.a.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post

People where I live think $650 is pricey for rent & utilities...then I tell them where I lived in Northern VA and Pennsylvania if you could find a decent place for $800 a month in rent alone you were lucky.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
People where I live think $650 is pricey for rent & utilities...then I tell them where I lived in Northern VA and Pennsylvania if you could find a decent place for $800 a month in rent alone you were lucky.

That's nothing compared to Southern California. Our immediate neighbors have a nice one story, 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard and pool that just sold for 960k. Ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
That's nothing compared to Southern California. Our immediate neighbors have a nice one story, 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard and pool that just sold for 960k. Ridiculous.

I agree. They have houses out here that rent for $850 a month. Southern colorado is not exactly known for high incomes. Also have a couple of houses around here for sale well over 300k. No way in hell are they worth that. Not for the acre of land they sit on. For 300k in Wetmore, CO I could buy 300 acres and a ranch and have a nice chunk of change left over.

Shenanigans.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #18
Boomhauer

Default CU for hydrogeology? It's a LibArt University.

Just sayin' CSU (aka Colorado A&M) offers Master of Science and PhD in Earth Sciences in
Hydrogeology & Hydrogeophysics as well as many specialties in water/land management.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
You didn't already know that you were paying more for rent than nearly everyone everywhere?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Don't let all the nay-sayers get to you. I have several friends who think highly of the Geology program there, and are very gainfully employed in the area. Boulder is multiple schools - they have a liberal arts school, but also Engineering, Business, Science, etc.

Everyone tends to judge Boulder and it's students by the Liberal arts students (full disclaimer, I have a degree in History from CU), and for the most part, the school of Arts & Sciences is really the school of Arts & Parties. On the other hand, I also have degree in C.S from the School of Engineering, and for the most part, the only partying we did was late nights on the couches the line the engineering center, while pulling late nights studying.

Boulder is pricey - and as a student you can get a discount bus pass. Stay close to US-36, or in one of the Boulder burbs - Lousville, Lafayette, Niwot, Gunbarrel, or if you are really desperate, Longmont, and you will be fine.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
schaaf

well the reason I'm Looking at CU is my wife is going to go into massage therapy and I know there is a school for that in Boulder. And I don't party anymore or smoke so that isn't a deciding factor in it haha. But would you guys say that CSU or the mines is better for a masters in Geology even though i'm not going into engineering
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

boulder is an awesome town , you wont be dissapointed. It is a little pricy for a college town, but its worth it.
Peoples Champ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

You'll be fine. Just don't get your hair cut at Supercuts.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #24
Boomhauer

Quote:
...But would you guys say that CSU or the mines is better for a masters in Geology even though i'm not going into engineering
If you have to ask, than you haven't bothered to look. As your question has been answered, you don't appear to listen. Because of those, I'd say education won't help you and spending money for one would be detrimental.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #25
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
If you have to ask, than you haven't bothered to look. As your question has been answered, you don't appear to listen. Because of those, I'd say education won't help you and spending money for one would be detrimental.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote