The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Kyle Orton Quietly Shines Amid Tebowmania

Kyle Orton Quietly Shines Amid Tebowmania

Aug 12, 2010 4:14 pm US/Mountain

ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer

ENGLEWOOD (AP) ― When the Denver Broncos' practice at Invesco Field was over, thousands of fans who had been incessantly chanting Tim Tebow's name pushed toward the railings to beg for his autograph.

They clicked photos of the hideous haircut that linebacker Wesley Woodyard had buzzed into his head that afternoon in a rookie ritual, the friar-like images, like everything Tebow, going viral on the Internet.

Female fans fawned over Brady Quinn, the ruggedly handsome quarterback who arrived in Denver just ahead of Tebow's selection in the first round of the NFL draft this spring.

Kyle Orton? He slipped out a side exit almost unnoticed.

Nothing new there -- at the team's headquarters in suburban Denver, the boisterous cheers from Tebowmaniacs begin the second the former Florida star steps out onto the football field to start stretching. They don't end until he's done meeting and greeting his fixated fans, which, during two-a-days, can be just before darkness descends upon Dove Valley.

Usually drawing quite the crowd himself is Quinn, the former first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

Orton, meanwhile, doesn't rate a single display jersey at the satellite trailer the Broncos team store is operating inside the parking lot at the club headquarters, where dozens of Tebow jerseys -- already the top seller in the NFL -- are going fast.

Many days, Orton can slip past the media horde hanging on Tebow's every word and head right into the locker room without breaking stride, nobody bothering the starting quarterback for his thoughts.

This for an incumbent who is so far ahead of the others in both understanding and execution of Josh McDaniels' intricate offense that the real intrigue has been relegated to this: Who will serve as Orton's backup in 2010?

Even if the more-experienced Quinn gets that nod, Tebow figures to see plenty of action in special packages such as the Wildcat formation or in the red zone, cameo appearances that will have to satisfy the Tebowmaniacs while Orton quietly leads the Broncos offense.

Almost nowhere else in the NFL is the starting quarterback so stealthy, solitary or secluded as Orton is in Denver, where he signed a one-year, $2.621 million tender as a restricted free agent this offseason because the Broncos weren't willing to give him a long-term deal despite his 29-19 record as a starter in Chicago and Denver.

So, where's the love for Kyle Orton?

"I don't need love," Orton insisted. "I just need wins."

Orton doesn't seem the least bit fazed by the hoopla surrounding Tebow or the lack of devotion he's getting from the fans or the front office.

"I come out here every day and try to get the team and the offense to where we can win games. That's really my main focus," Orton told The Associated Press.

For those actually paying attention, Orton has been worth noticing during training camp. His comfort level and accuracy of his throws are way ahead of Tebow and Quinn. His teammates look at him as their unquestioned leader, with co-captain Champ Bailey declaring, "He's my guy."

McDaniels' too.

Ever since bringing in Quinn and Tebow, McDaniels has insisted Orton is still the starter -- but that he'd have to fend off his rivals in training camp.

While Tebow blows away the competition in post-practice wind sprints, Orton's doing the same at quarterback, even if Broncos fans aren't paying close attention.

"He's not under the radar on our team, I know that," McDaniels said. "He's started off extremely well. He's accurate. There's nothing in our scheme that he can't execute. He gets us in the right play 99 out of 100 or 100 out of 100 times and the ball's going to the right place."

It's not just a mental leap but a physical one.

Orton is more mobile in the pocket and is stepping into throws with the good mechanics and proper footwork that eluded him almost all last season.

"Physically, I'm healthy finally," Orton said. "When I came over from Chicago I was still battling my right ankle and never really got that right. Then we got into the season and I did my left ankle and I was playing on two flat tires, basically. That's no fun. I'm just happy I'm feeling good for the first time. When you're a quarterback and you're not playing with your feet it's a tough situation. You're using a lot of arm and poor mechanics and all that stuff."

This summer, his passes are precise, as are his reads.

"Everybody plays through injuries and a quarterback is no different," Orton said. "Hopefully, I can get through this season on two good wheels and move around and throw the ball well."

Despite his ankle injuries, Orton had the best statistical season of his career last year. But the Broncos collapsed after a 6-0 start and instead of the long-term deal he coveted, Orton got Quinn and Tebow.

Embracing the opportunity to once again prove his worth, Orton has only solidified his grip on the job.

"Being healthy and technically sound, that's a really good combination for a quarterback to have," McDaniels said. "And he knows where to go, too. So, there's a lot of good things. I think that's why he's got so much confidence right now. I think our players have a lot of confidence also, and I think it's helping our entire offense."
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
While Tebow blows away the competition in post-practice wind sprints, Orton's doing the same at quarterback, even if Broncos fans aren't paying close attention.
What a ridiculous comment.

First, what is Tebow supposed to do? Not try hard? Is he being showy because he does his best? Second, which Broncos fans aren't paying attention to Orton? The screaming girls who like Tebow because he's dreamy? The fans that genuinely like him because he seems like a decent, yet charismatic player?

And when did liking Tebow or liking Orton become a zero-sum game?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Here's to hoping Orton stays around long enough to truly be a "success"
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Pro Bowl.....

Book it.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Go Kyle gooo!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Good for Orton! This is the year he has to put it all together. This is his second year and he's healthy. He has to stay healthy and he has to help the Broncos win games. If he does those two things and the Broncos running game starts to click, and the offensive line gells, this will be a solid offense.

The defense is better (even without Doom) and the offense is progressing. Good News!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I guess no one here remembers Elwaymania.........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the O-Line is able to give this guy time and a pocket, he should be head and shoulders better than last year. And last year, he was better than serviceable, IMO. Don't forget that he was dinged up severely for parts of the season.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.
Not if he gets injured, and that unfortunately is a real possibility due to the young oline and the injuries along the oline.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Same regurgitated stuff that's been circulating for weeks.

Blah.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

hopefully we get to see if he has improved his left handed sprint pass
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I have an Orton jersey.

I dont care who doesn't like him and who thinks he is a stop gap. Dude is fun to root for IMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

I'm buying an Orton jersey this year for sure.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

get a room
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have an Orton jersey.

I dont care who doesn't like him and who thinks he is a stop gap. Dude is fun to root for IMO.
I agree. Orton has done everything right since he got here, and under the worst conditions possible. The guy is a warrior.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

He's got the likability of Jake Plummer without the production or athleticism.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.

AGREED!!!

does anyone that is not a broncos fan realize that Orton had 600 yards and 5 tds fewer than the MIGHTY Tony Romo and cowboys.

considering schedule, exp in system, strength of team and all else. That is not much of a difference.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
He's got the likability of Jake Plummer without the production or athleticism.
He produced pretty well last year with a new team, new system and admitted two bad ankles most of the year.

3802 yards, 21 TDs to 12 Ints and an 86.8 rating and over 62% completion percentage isn't bad numbers man ESPECIALLY considering being on a new team in a new system when the WHOLE TEAM was undergoing a veritable shock of transition.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
orangemonkey
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree. Orton has done everything right since he got here, and under the worst conditions possible. The guy is a warrior.
. When you say, "worst conditions," you mean his sloppy arm, weak down field accuracy, lack of mobility and slow speed, I agree with you. If you are attacking the Broncos top 10 defense, healthy RB's, Top 3 receiver and #1 Clady that surrounded him, then you're high. Very high.

Puff puff pass. Puff puff pass.
orangemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I should get an Orton jersey and start supporting him more. He wouldn't last another week on a McDaniels led team.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

similar stats when compared to Cintler without the INT's or price.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemonkey View Post
. When you say, "worst conditions," you mean his sloppy arm, weak down field accuracy, lack of mobility and slow speed, I agree with you. If you are attacking the Broncos top 10 defense, healthy RB's, Top 3 receiver and #1 Clady that surrounded him, then you're high. Very high.

Top 10 defense for games 1-6.

Bottom 28 defense from games 7-16.

With what happened to our team in general after the 6th game of the season I can tell you that there is maybe 2 or 3 QBs in the league that could have done well in those circumstances.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
TheProfessor
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is exactly what I saw when at camp. Tebow gets all the cheers and attention (by the fans), while orton looks light years ahead of where he was last year.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemonkey View Post

By "worst conditions" I meant the Cutler fiasco and the drafting of Tebow, let alone the collapse of the defense last year and the lack of faith among the local media and much of the fan base.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote