The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default My Quick AM TC report 8/11 and a few notes on the PM practice

Just a couple of notes that I noticed while at the practice this morning...

It was my first practice since the opening day, but Tebow's throwing has improved since then. He had a lot of zip on it, and was hitting the receiver in the perfect spots. Very encouraging to see... Orton still looked good and is still the best QB thus far at camp.

Both Orton and Tebow threw picks in team drills, but were getting little to no time to throw. The offensive line had is struggles today, combined with Jamal Williams blowing up almost every play. I think if he can stay healthy he will do good things for us...

Ryan Torain....er I mean Justin Fargas made his Broncos debut today wearing #42, he was wearing a brace on his knee and had a limp to him when just walking, but seemed to run around just fine.

Richard Quinn didn't have a good practice, he jumped offside on the punt return team right after messing up his assignment. Then dropped a couple of easy passes that hit him right in his hands.

Orton did throw a nice TD pass in the redzone to the back of the endzone to Daniel Graham. Tebow looked indecisive during the redzone drills getting what would be sacks on a few plays, and just throwing the ball away on a few others. He really looked to want to throw it instead of just tucking it and running.

I can try to answer any questions and I will be going back to the evening practice later today

Last edited by BroncoDoug; 08-11-2010 at 12:59 PM..
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Thanks for the post. I am really nervous about our offensive line. They're going to get our QB and RBs killed if they don't step it up!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Awesome to hear that Jamal is doing well in the middle. His presence will blunt the blow of losing Dumervil. If we can stop the run and win the down and distance battle, we might be able to get Ayers and Moss or whoever to t-off during obvious passing situations.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Good info, thank you
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I should also mention that Ayers was in the backfield so much he might as well of been taking the snaps... That was good to see, but I didnt see him leave, but the reports I've read suggest he is fine. I'll see if he is out there this afternoon
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
Awesome to hear that Jamal is doing well in the middle. His presence will blunt the blow of losing Dumervil. If we can stop the run and win the down and distance battle, we might be able to get Ayers and Moss or whoever to t-off during obvious passing situations.
I have a feeling that Jamal Williams is going to be HUGE for us this year. Your loss Chuggers, your loss.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

First off, thanks for the report. Rep!

How does Haggans look outside?

How about Ayodele inside?

Woodyard?

Also, how much time are we spending in shotgun?

Under center?

Are the running plays still coming out of the shotgun, or from under center?

If we keep running out of the shotgun, Im gonna go nuts.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I have a feeling that Jamal Williams is going to be HUGE for us this year. Your loss Chuggers, your loss.
Well obviously he's going to be huge, but will he be any good? That's the question.
diehardbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

thanks for the recap
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Thanks for the info, good stuff.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thank you. Good report.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Thanks Doug
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
First off, thanks for the report. Rep!

How does Haggans look outside?

How about Ayodele inside?

Woodyard?

Also, how much time are we spending in shotgun?

Under center?

Are the running plays still coming out of the shotgun, or from under center?

If we keep running out of the shotgun, Im gonna go nuts.
HAHA whoa there cowboy slow down... I would need some to take some good notes for all those questions but I know Woodyard was starting for DJ when they went full contact, DJ was in the non contact orange jersey.

As far as the shotgun, they ran it a lot, not sure the % of plays, but the entire redzone 11 on 11 they ran shotgun, but never ran the ball...

But I will be going to the afternoon practice and will pay attention to all that the best I can, I'm no Montrose or Kaylore
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

thanks for the update
glad to hear about how Ayers and Tebow are coming along
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
I should also mention that Ayers was in the backfield so much he might as well of been taking the snaps... That was good to see, but I didnt see him leave, but the reports I've read suggest he is fine. I'll see if he is out there this afternoon
This is so encouraging... Hopefully, he shows something in preseason too. It would be so great if he stepped up big time this year.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbroncosfan View Post
Well obviously he's going to be huge, but will he be any good? That's the question.
yeah I think his health is going to be the biggest thing, if he is healthy he is going to be a disruptive force, but how long until his knee gives out on him.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I don't know if I should be worried about the O-line or excited about nthe D-line
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

how does a RB that limps around just when walking passes a physical?...

signing an injured back to replace injured backs?...

i hope this is not the case...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I don't know if I should be worried about the O-line or excited about nthe D-line
Yeah I feel the same way, the defense looked very good today, they were pumped at every stop and dancing and hooting and hollering, I guess we need to see the Broncos starting O line, they were Missing Clady and Kuper and Hotchsiten was in a lot with the starters
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

For some reason i cant post new threads. Anyway .... Cox gets another pick in camp ..... all in a days work ..... kid is consistent, ill give him that

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/1...ning-practice/

1. In recent days, the skies have cleared above Dove Valley, and Wednesday morning’s practice took place under azure skies and abundant sunshine. But the clouds of injury haven’t lifted, as linebacker Robert Ayers, tight end Marquez Branson and wide receiver Jabar Gaffney did not finish the morning session.

Ayers, who turned in another solid goal-line period early in the practice, appeared to suffer an arm injury in the second half of the session but remained on the sideline through the end of practice.

“I’m fine,” Ayers said.

Ayers remained on the field through the end of practice. The same could not be said of Gaffney and Branson, neither of whom finished the two-hour session. Gaffney walked off the field. Branson’s problem appeared far more serious; he left via cart.

It’s worth noting that the Broncos aren’t the only injury-addled team; the Carolina Panthers will play their preseason opener in Baltimore on Thursday night without 11 players, according to Carolina coach John Fox via Darin Gantt of The Charlotte Observer.

2. Justin Fargas was in uniform for Wednesday morning’s session, but didn’t take any repetitions in the team periods as he went through a practice for the first time since last season — and, more significantly, for the first time since March, when he said he underwent an arthroscopic procedure.

“I was rehabbing from that and at the same time progressing toward game shape,” Fargas said. “But there’s nothing like putting on the pads and getting into camp mode.”

When asked whether he was in game shape, Fargas smiled.

“I will be when the game comes,” he said.

3. The most telling indicator of the offense’s struggles Wednesday morning came at the end of practice, when the offense ran windsprints while the defense went into a walk-through period to conclude the practice. For the offense, the day was defined by struggles early (one touchdown on five plays in a goal-line period) and late (a Perrish Cox interception of a Kyle Orton pass on the last play of practice).

“We didn’t practice well today,” Orton said. “Not to dwell on one practice, but we didn’t come out and play as well as we should have.

“Last night, we had one of our better practices as a unit. We had a lot of energy coming out (Wednesday), saying that we wanted to come out and back it up, and we couldn’t do it.

“We’ve had great practices … We have to eliminate these ones where we come out kind of flat.”

4. In defense of the offense, the first unit was decimated by the end of practice. It was working without its top returning receiver (Gaffney), its top rookie receiver (Demaryius Thomas), two of its three veteran first-team offensive linemen (Ryan Clady and Chris Kuper) and its top three running backs (Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, LenDale White). The offense also worked without Brandon Stokley, who had all of the yards on a two-minute drill drive Wednesday. Stokley’s absence is apparently not related to injury; like many older veterans, he has been given respites throughout training camp.

5. Linebacker Joe Mays has wasted little time working his way into action. Early last week, he was on the first units of multiple special-teams practices. By last Thursday, he was seeing the occasional first-team repetition at inside linebacker. By Wednesday, he was working regularly on the first unit, playing at the spot Akin Ayodele has handled in recent days.

When the Broncos traded for Mays, Josh McDaniels noted that the third-year linebacker possessed “upside.” This is a logical assessment, given Mays’s relative lack of experience (13 games and one start) and his transition from a Division I-AA program (North Dakota State).

“He’s a different style of inside linebacker than we have (in) some of our other guys here,” McDaniels said on Aug. 1.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks for the report. The offensive line has me concerned, too. At least from what I've read the 2 rookies have talent (Walton and Beadles) but they are going to have their growing pains. Long term if they are 2 solid starters that's a big return from this draft.

I hear Clady is walking around fine at training camp, but mum is the word on when he'll be back. Ryan Harris was on Vic and Gary this morning and he avoided the question when asked about Clady's health. Harris did say his injured toe felt great.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
how does a RB that limps around just when walking passes a physical?...

signing an injured back to replace injured backs?...

i hope this is not the case...
Yeah, from what I hear he failed his physical with the Raiders, and thats why he isn't with them now. Maybe the Broncos just need bodies in there till buck and knowshon can come back
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the OL will be fine. It is the DL that is just big pimping right now. Lets not forget just how much our line went to crap after harris went down last year. Clady will make a HUGE difference once back.

Our DL started out last year allowing the fewest rush yards, on par with the ravens of 2k. before they faded. It would be presumable that we might start hot again like this.

Give the OL time. They will be fine
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #24
diehardbroncosfan
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mays must be impressing if he's working his way into first team reps. Good to hear!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
Yeah, from what I hear he failed his physical with the Raiders, and thats why he isn't with them now. Maybe the Broncos just need bodies in there till buck and knowshon can come back
I don't think there's any maybes about it....once they return, Huggy Jr. & White are history
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote