The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Default Redskins TC Injuries

Redskins, Shanahan keeping injuries at bay
Joseph White, The Associated Press
Aug 9, 6:09 pm EDT

ASHBURN, Va. - Mike Shanahan learned a valuable lesson about injuries during his Denver Broncos days, back when he decided the goal line drill would be the perfect time to crack the whip and make the guys tackle.

"I went full speed, I think, three years in a row in goal line," Shanahan said, "and I lost one guy each year. And I looked at myself and said, 'What are you trying to do with those 12 plays? What's the difference?'"

Now the coach of the Washington Redskins, Shanahan is overseeing one of the healthiest training camps in the land. NFL injuries are a dime a dozen in the heat of August knees, ankles, sprains and strains but a practice strategy that revolves around one long, up-tempo session early in the morning is paying dividends.

More below,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...dskins-4168342
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

oh Jesus....here we go
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

ha ha...I think someone predicted this article and thread last week
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

:-)

For the record, I disagree with Mike's approach just as much as I disagreed with how we did camp and the practice at invesco last week. You need to find a happy balance between running too hard, and running too soft.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Isn't this a Broncos message board??
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Ya, I could really care less. I just want to see the reaction. If I actually knew how to post pictures this would be worth a popcorn .gif
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I read on espn that Willie Parker may have a tough time making the roster because of....

wait for it....

Ryan Torrain.

Then I laughed like a tasered dolphin.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Isn't this a Broncos message board??
Last I checked. A bronco's board that has been discussing injury for the past 2 weeks. You don't think this is relevant?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Isn't it great that our injuries make lostknight so happy?

Glad his point can be proven at the expense of the team.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
RonDaChamp24
Twitter.com/RonGreco

The Champ is here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Thomas

This is exactly why his players will get hurt during preseason and when regular season comes around the BRONCOS will be a tough, physical team and the Redskins will be soft and finese and it will come back to bite them in the 2nd half of the season.
RonDaChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
Isn't it great that our injuries make lostknight so happy?

Glad his point can be proven at the expense of the team.
Nice troll. I smile because I predicted this, not because I like the situation. In fact, as I recall, I predicted these type of articles,and took significant grief, even in the light of the six major injuries since I posted, for daring to question how we were practicing.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDaChamp24 View Post
This is exactly why his players will get hurt during preseason and when regular season comes around the BRONCOS will be a tough, physical team and the Redskins will be soft and finese and it will come back to bite them in the 2nd half of the season.
As our second half performance last season indicated, our new approach worked so... erk. actually, waitaminute, even worse collapse second half last season? Nevermind.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Shanahan getting by with a little help from old friends
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2010 10:17 AM ET

When the Redskins hired Mike Shanahan, they weren't just hiring a coach. They were hiring the entire "Bronco way" of doing things from the front office to the playing field.

To help Redskins players get a crash course in Shanahan's system, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Shanahan has brought in a number of his old stars to help out.

Terrell Davis showed up, spending more than a week with the Redskins running backs. (Willie Parker apparently hasn't been paying close enough attention.) Michael Pittman has helped out, presumably to help with the finer points of third downs and muscle flexing.

Steve Beuerlein has worked with the Redskins quarterbacks, while former Broncos safety Steve Atwater is in Washington, working with the Redskins secondary.

It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Shanahan gets terrific free labor, while the ex-players get to dabble in coaching without having to truly experience the grind.

It's such a great cheap way to help your team, we're surprised more staffs don't take advantage of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...m-old-friends/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Nice troll. I smile because I predicted this, not because I like the situation. In fact, as I recall, I predicted these type of articles,and took significant grief, even in the light of the six major injuries since I posted, for daring to question how we were practicing.
I thought you had me on ignore princess?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Josh McDaniels says Broncos' injuries "not the end of the world"
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2010 1:23 PM ET

When Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil suffered a torn pectoral muscle, coach Josh McDaniels acknowledged that no one on the Broncos' roster could replace the star defensive end.

But that doesn't mean McDaniels is panicking.

"It's not the end of the world,'' McDaniels told Don Banks of SI.com. "It's nothing that we're overwhelmed by. In a weird way, it's been slightly motivating to say, 'OK, we're facing some obstacles here, but that's all they are.' It's adversity, sure. But one of our goals from last year to this year was to handle adversity better than we did last season."

Training camp has given the Broncos plenty of opportunities to handle adversity. In addition to losing Dumervil, defensive end Jarvis Moss suffered a broken hand and a host of players on offense -- including running backs Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and LenDale White offensive linemen Ryan Clady and Chris Kuper and receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker -- have missed time for one reason or another.

McDaniels, however, is looking for the silver lining.

"But we're going to get the vast majority of those guys back," McDaniels said. "It's almost like you don't want to play a lot of your starters in the preseason anyway, in case they get hurt. Well in our case, we can't play them in August. We have to rest them.''

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-the-world/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We were trying to be a finesse team when Shanny was here, we were way too soft those last couple of years.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
As our second half performance last season indicated, our new approach worked so... erk. actually, waitaminute, even worse collapse second half last season? Nevermind.
Can't change the culture of a soft team in one camp.

Also, I'd still love to know of what significant injury is a product of up tempo, full contact practices.

Doom's injury happened in a drill that every team runs. Moreno and Buckhalter where non-contact injuries. Decker and Thomas got hurt landing form jumps. I don't see a smoking gun anywhere for the notion that McDaniels was pushing too hard.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

so we can all now place bets that Skins go 1-3 in december
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Redskins, Shanahan keeping injuries at bay
Joseph White, The Associated Press
Aug 9, 6:09 pm EDT

ASHBURN, Va. - Mike Shanahan learned a valuable lesson about injuries during his Denver Broncos days, back when he decided the goal line drill would be the perfect time to crack the whip and make the guys tackle.

"I went full speed, I think, three years in a row in goal line," Shanahan said, "and I lost one guy each year. And I looked at myself and said, 'What are you trying to do with those 12 plays? What's the difference?'"

Now the coach of the Washington Redskins, Shanahan is overseeing one of the healthiest training camps in the land. NFL injuries are a dime a dozen in the heat of August knees, ankles, sprains and strains but a practice strategy that revolves around one long, up-tempo session early in the morning is paying dividends.

More below,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...dskins-4168342
He won two SB in the days of going a lot harder .. before he went CLub med. It is a balancing act.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
[B]
Terrell Davis showed up, spending more than a week with the Redskins running backs. former Broncos safety Steve Atwater is in Washington, working with the Redskins secondary.

:...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

It will be interesting to see if the the Shanahan led Skins do peak early and fold towards the end of the season.

Having said that, all the injuries Denver has sufferd thus far might actually lead us to a stronger finish towards the end of the year.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Shanahan getting by with a little help from old friends
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2010 10:17 AM ET

When the Redskins hired Mike Shanahan, they weren't just hiring a coach. They were hiring the entire "Bronco way" of doing things from the front office to the playing field.

To help Redskins players get a crash course in Shanahan's system, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Shanahan has brought in a number of his old stars to help out.

Terrell Davis showed up, spending more than a week with the Redskins running backs. (Willie Parker apparently hasn't been paying close enough attention.) Michael Pittman has helped out, presumably to help with the finer points of third downs and muscle flexing.

Steve Beuerlein has worked with the Redskins quarterbacks, while former Broncos safety Steve Atwater is in Washington, working with the Redskins secondary.

It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Shanahan gets terrific free labor, while the ex-players get to dabble in coaching without having to truly experience the grind.

It's such a great cheap way to help your team, we're surprised more staffs don't take advantage of it.

That is some cool stuff. Shanahan is the man. As for those whining about the way he does stuff, he got us our only two SBs doing it his way. He kept this team more competitive after losing a great QB, and majority of that team, than most have through history. We were top 5 in wins over his time here. He did a lot more for this team than any coach that worked players harder, including Josh. With all of that, we see nothing but hate for this winning way from "fans" here.

It will be interesting to see if he can turn a top 5 pick team around before Josh gets an 8 win team turned around. I bet he actually improves the side of the ball he is supposed to be great with, unlike what happened with our new coach.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

From what I understand, McD doesn't go full speed for goalline drills either.
What's the big deal?
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
That is some cool stuff. Shanahan is the man.
Agreed, cool that he's doing that over in Washington and has the players that will come out to help. Always wonder what's going on with guys like Atwater.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
He won two SB in the days of going a lot harder .. before he went CLub med. It is a balancing act.
I am sure he thought about that too but thought to himself, "I better not bring that up, totally kills my lame train of thought."
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote